Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I wouldn't go that far

I've seen the insanity that goes on behind the scenes to make a Dougdoug or big jerma project work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I think people are way overthinking the pokemon lp thing, and also treating the pokemon series as more unique than it is. Just play the game and occasionally add something if you have something funny or informative to add. Please don't try to transform it into some kind of narrative or make it a work of art if you feel like it's hard to do that with the game, that's not necessary.

Coolguye posted:

i'm sure it's not IMPOSSIBLE to tell a satisfying story of melancholy, catharsis, growth or healing with the pokemon world, but i also don't think many competent writers would tackle that challenge rather than taking that talent to a truly original work.

People just want to watch the cute monsters fight and it's fine (for many, even preferable) for the game to just be what it is and not play second fiddle to some kind of writing project.

Like I'm not ragging on you if that's what moves you to make LPs, personally. There's definitely an audience for that and have fun, but discouraging people from just doing a playthrough of a fun kid's game because you can't give it literary value and you don't personally find the mechanics interesting is very silly. But to anyone who read all that I will read your pokemon LP and enjoy it if you just 1) play through the whole game and 2) occasionally say funny or interesting things about your experience with the game, whether it is about the mechanics, the world, the monster design, or whatever.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
overthinking things is a hallmark of SALP

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Sally posted:

overthinking things is a hallmark of SALP

I almost didn't go through with the Code Vein LP cause I didn't like how my mouse cursor would show up in the recording whenever a menu showed up on screen

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015

Mega64 posted:

Everyone is overthinking this. If someone thinks it'd be fun to LP Pokemon, just do it. Who cares if it's original or groundbreaking or whatever, it's a loving Let's Play, all that matters is the LPer enjoys it.

:yossame:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

mycatscrimes posted:

I think people are way overthinking the pokemon lp thing, and also treating the pokemon series as more unique than it is. Just play the game and occasionally add something if you have something funny or informative to add. Please don't try to transform it into some kind of narrative or make it a work of art if you feel like it's hard to do that with the game, that's not necessary.

People just want to watch the cute monsters fight and it's fine (for many, even preferable) for the game to just be what it is and not play second fiddle to some kind of writing project.

Like I'm not ragging on you if that's what moves you to make LPs, personally. There's definitely an audience for that and have fun, but discouraging people from just doing a playthrough of a fun kid's game because you can't give it literary value and you don't personally find the mechanics interesting is very silly. But to anyone who read all that I will read your pokemon LP and enjoy it if you just 1) play through the whole game and 2) occasionally say funny or interesting things about your experience with the game, whether it is about the mechanics, the world, the monster design, or whatever.

nah the question at hand was "how do we make pokemon interesting since it's older than its target demographic and hasn't changed at all since it was new" so i was just worming my way through the usual approaches to trying to do that since i thought it was an interesting question.

in terms of my own work i've kind of already taken my ball and left insofar as i'm making my own game rn so shrug

i lost my right to talk """authoritatively""" a long time ago

IGgy IGsen
Apr 11, 2013

"If I lose I will set myself on fire."
Wondering what this new pokemon lp will bring to the table instead of doing it for the love of the game is something I thought we left in 700 BCE.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Leal posted:

Yeah, unlike streams LPs take effort :smuggo:

They're a pseudo-hobby at best :smugmrgw:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

Personally, it's interesting as hell when an LPer goes "okay here's some unreasonable nonsense. Here's what I had available to counter it. And here's what I wound up doing." And pokemon romhacks and fangames are particularly rife with unreasonable nonsense.

Before the endgame wore me down with actual bullshit I couldn't defeat, I was actually days away from pulling the trigger on a Pokemon Radical Red LP. This was back in this past September.

I enjoyed Radical Red enough to complete a Poison monotype run so I might consider an LP with another type.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Geemer posted:

They're a pseudo-hobby at best :smugmrgw:

Slowbeef apologized for that, and :eng99: what am I doing here

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
We're meant to enjoy the games that we LP?!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Suddenly reminded that my entry in the old TV tropes section for Let's Plays was that I played the first two halo games decently well, which in hindsight felt a bit damning with faint praise.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

When you start the LP, yeah. By the time you finish it, not so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

There is something to be said for doing an LP as a cathartic purge, speaking from experience.