Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sternieliscious
Sep 21, 2014

Dynas: Tea warrior
Time for a test. Let me know if there's an issue since SSLPs are a new one for me.

Ruff Times For Jack Russell, Let's Play Radiata Stories

Radiata Stories is a JRPG developed by Tri-Ace (Star Ocean and Valkyrie Profile) and published by Square-Enix in 2005 for the PS2. It was advertised as a more whimsical game in relation to its peers released at the time and generally carries that tone throughout. It tells the story of Jack Russell as he works towards becoming a knight of Radiata like his father before him. Along the way he will use the game's 24 hour clock system to gather a party list of 176 possible other people.

Wait, 177 total party members?
Yes, this game has a total of 177 possible characters that can join your party. This total is split up due to a plot choice which will restrict the possible party members that can be recruited and played with for the remainder of the game. I'm going to get them all. When "The Big Choice" arrives I am going to present both paths concurrently, alternating updates for each choice in order to best present how that split affects the story itself.

Format
The LP will be a screenshot hybrid with a video in each update if reading's not your thing. There is also an absolute wealth of additional content in game such at flavor art for every item, journal entries for each party member, and collectible records which play game music from the soundtrack itself. I'll collect and present as much of that as I can.

Spoiler Policy
I have a thing for presenting underappreciated gems, so I ask to limit discussion to events that have already occurred in an update already.

Updates

Highlight Playlist

Chapter 01: A Pup Learns To Walk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Oh hey I remember this game. I bought the prima guide along with the game and boy was that a help in getting all of the characters. I wish more games did this sort of thing with the large cast and schedules for every one of them.

I don't really have anything in the way of criticism (everything seems fine to me), but a request for multiple portraits for the more important characters since the faces in this are fairly expressive, if it's not too much extra work.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
How many people here own Dragon's Dogma on PC? The question is for LP ideas. I don't know. It's just something to consider since if I was going to do it I would want to know who is where in the levels. I haven't messed with steam family sharing to see if that lets you create pawns for yourself, for example.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

He who fights too long against dragons becomes a dragon himself

Lunethex posted:

How many people here own Dragon's Dogma on PC? The question is for LP ideas.

Hey, that'd be cool. I've been streaming it recently and putting that on the casual LP thread, and the reason why I didn't also do a "proper" LP of it was because my computer couldn't run it on max settings, and the graphics are the big reason to play it on PC over console.

We've had a couple goons show up for it and a few friended me, but all of them either abandoned the game early or were well into the postgame (level 150-200). I'm around 100 now, but I wouldn't mind downloading the save game mod and running another character to show off pawn team stuff. SA is pretty big and the game's been on sale a few times, an LP might get more people to buy it too (or actually play it if they already got it :v: ).

Lunethex posted:

I haven't messed with steam family sharing to see if that lets you create pawns for yourself, for example.

Yes, it works fine online, you can totally play both games and rent the pawn on your "family" account, and trade items and rack up RCs. I've been doing just that with my brother's account. The one thing to remember is to rest at the inn periodically, you can only have 10 outstanding gifts or they all get turned into rocks. I've seen people on the Steam forum ask about that.

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender
I'm another goon with a post-game pawn that... I should really go check on, as it's been a few months. Woops.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Wayne posted:

Hey, that'd be cool. I've been streaming it recently and putting that on the casual LP thread, and the reason why I didn't also do a "proper" LP of it was because my computer couldn't run it on max settings, and the graphics are the big reason to play it on PC over console.

We've had a couple goons show up for it and a few friended me, but all of them either abandoned the game early or were well into the postgame (level 150-200). I'm around 100 now, but I wouldn't mind downloading the save game mod and running another character to show off pawn team stuff. SA is pretty big and the game's been on sale a few times, an LP might get more people to buy it too (or actually play it if they already got it :v: ).

Yes, it works fine online, you can totally play both games and rent the pawn on your "family" account, and trade items and rack up RCs. I've been doing just that with my brother's account. The one thing to remember is to rest at the inn periodically, you can only have 10 outstanding gifts or they all get turned into rocks. I've seen people on the Steam forum ask about that.

My idea was an HLP narrative. Screenshots for all plot and videos for the actual gameplay and exploration. At least starting a clean game wouldn't be hard. Does it make you install the game all over again on a different account?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I don't think so, no. However, if it does you can get around that by starting the installation and then immediately stopping it, copying the files to the new directory, then going to properties > verify cache.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

"Access denied for user 'baldurk'@'localhost' (using password: YES)"

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Xander77 posted:

"Access denied for user 'baldurk'@'localhost' (using password: YES)"

It looks like all test posts are blocked for the moment.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Dr. Fetus posted:

It looks like all test posts are blocked for the moment.

The Markov generator must've become sentient and Baldurk shut it down to save us all

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
Oops, my bad. I reset some credentials last night and I thought I checked everything. I forgot the sslptest had a separate db login.

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Lunethex posted:

My idea was an HLP narrative. Screenshots for all plot and videos for the actual gameplay and exploration. At least starting a clean game wouldn't be hard. Does it make you install the game all over again on a different account?

Any reason you don't want to do a standard VLP? The cutscenes aren't too obtrusive and the voice acting is actually pretty good (in my opinion anyway). It'd probably be easier on you, too.

And no, it's one install per computer, not per account. There've been a couple times where we'd stream Darkest Dungeon (his game, on his profile), and then afterward we'd switch accounts to me and I'd play it. :D

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Wayne posted:

Any reason you don't want to do a standard VLP? The cutscenes aren't too obtrusive and the voice acting is actually pretty good (in my opinion anyway). It'd probably be easier on you, too.

And no, it's one install per computer, not per account. There've been a couple times where we'd stream Darkest Dungeon (his game, on his profile), and then afterward we'd switch accounts to me and I'd play it. :D

There are a lot of gaps in Dragon's Dogma's story overall that I feel are open to exploiting for a narrative style LP. Plenty of quests just 'end' outright or don't have satisfying conclusions. Doing the game to the usual VLP standard would feel too robotic to me and screenshots telling a story in between would go a long way. I have plans to showcase every enemy in their own video as a how-to to reach the 3-star Bestiary knowledge for the pawn as well. The only thing left to think about is how to actually post the updates. Naturally I will want videos covering all of the events taking place.

For example, going through a rung of Bitterblack Isle, that's all definitely worth the video & exploration sure, but I also want to have the narrative going on for it.

Another example, since I have the map of Gransys plotted out to cover my progression over time:

So my idea is, for the blue area and for a certain point in the main game, get videos for every thing involved in that particular area. Monsters, loot, exploration. After all the little stuff is taken care of, move on in the main quest, explore new areas, you get the idea. I want to have the narrative take place during all of this in SSLP format and to have the video so I guess when I post an update it'd be the SSLP format and have the video links just above it. Thoughts?

Wayne
Oct 18, 2014

Oh yeah, I see what you mean. It'd also let you write in the Arisen actually saying things or, y'know, your friends calling you by your name. I'm just not used to seeing screenshot elements in action RPGs.

Lunethex posted:

I have plans to showcase every enemy in their own video as a how-to to reach the 3-star Bestiary knowledge for the pawn as well. The only thing left to think about is how to actually post the updates. Naturally I will want videos covering all of the events taking place.

That's a heck of a project! I take it you've been following the community stuff digging into the numbers now that it's on PC? There was a big post on GameFAQs a few weeks ago that was basically saying all the superstitions about pawn behavior was wrong.

As far as the format goes, yeah, sounds good to me. It helps that Gransys isn't actually that big, and doesn't constantly have side content to pull you away like Skyrim or something. I'd split yellow into two parts, probably right around Hillfigure Knoll; there's a lot of stuff going around up there at different points in the story. Likewise, Witchwood would probably need its own video too, if you plan on showing off everything (to this day I still haven't found every effigy). And you can safely save BBI for the postgame, it fits just as well and having a dragon weapon will make it go a lot more smoothly.

Anyway, unless somebody else really wants to weigh in, I think you're at :justpost: territory, definitely thought it out pretty well!

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH
Well, there's only one way to see if I'm totally garbage at this. This is actually a lot more work than I expected!

But what does Pot of Greed DO? Let's Play Yu-Gi-Oh! The Sacred Cards (working title)

Ladies and Gentlemen!

Yu-Gi-Oh! The Sacred Cards or Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 7: The Duelcity Legend was released for the Game Boy Advance in Japan July 4, 2002,North America November 4, 2003, and Europe February 6, 2004. developed and published by Konami.

It, instead of following suit of Eternal Duelist Soul, released roughly a year earlier, of being an accurate as possible emulation of the TCG of the same name, instead opted to be an RPG-like game in the vein of Dark Duel Stories and Forbidden Memories.

Oh, great.Will opponents be throwing Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragons at me again?

Not really! This game took the pains to make it more like the TCG, with tributes needed for necessary monsters, and fusions are completely missing. Most fusion monsters are either standard monsters, or are ritual monsters (the most obvious being BEUD)

What are these weird colors on the cards?

Those are a returning element from Dark Duel Stories, which will be explained in greater detail in another update.

Format

Primarily screenshot. This game is not terribly visually shocking. I don't have a list of the OST on hand, but most of the music is forgettable, anyway.

I activate my spell card, Toon Table of Contents!

Update 1 (Cool names coming later)

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I'm about to start a Let's Play of Rule the Waves. Who do I gotta pester thank graciously to get this icon for it? :v:

Token Test Post: Mahanian Rhapsody [Let's Rule the Waves!] (isn't really much meat to it since I don't know what nation I'll be playing)

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Oct 14, 2016

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

AmewTheFox posted:

Well, there's only one way to see if I'm totally garbage at this. This is actually a lot more work than I expected!

Update 1 (Cool names coming later)

That looks fine to me. I'll say that when characters have multiple lines of dialogue in a row, you can probably just add most of them together. Also, and this is more my personal preference than anything, but I actually think the screenshots could be a bit smaller. The GBA's native resolution is pretty tiny, but I feel like doubling it (480x320) is more than enough. After that, things start to get a bit messy.

That's just my take on it, anyway.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I'm about to start a Let's Play of Rule the Waves. Who do I gotta pester thank graciously to get this icon for it? :v:

Token Test Post: Mahanian Rhapsody [Let's Rule the Waves!] (isn't really much meat to it since I don't know what nation I'll be playing)

PM Jordan or Fedule once the thread goes up and they'll change it for you.

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH

CrashScreen posted:

That looks fine to me. I'll say that when characters have multiple lines of dialogue in a row, you can probably just add most of them together. Also, and this is more my personal preference than anything, but I actually think the screenshots could be a bit smaller. The GBA's native resolution is pretty tiny, but I feel like doubling it (480x320) is more than enough. After that, things start to get a bit messy.

That's just my take on it, anyway.

Granted, I'm tripling it. I felt that doubling looked a bit small, but it would probably kill people's computers less. That, and I agree with appending the lines. I first thought that when Kaiba was going over the rules.

Also, portraits, whenever I can be arsed to get the sheets from SpritersResource. I also have a super weird method of getting the shots, but I suppose that's more a question for the tech supprort thread. Also, that means I'd have to get all the shots again. :sweatdrop:

Well, no one said this would be easy. (Also, is the game image I used too big? I feel it is.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

7th Dragon is an JRPG made in 2009 by Imageepoch (the company proceeded to go bankrupt in 2015). It was directed by Kazuya Niinou, who also directed the first Etrian Odyssey game. It's pretty easy to see the influences from Etrian Odyssey here, as it has a lot in common, to the point where it feels almost derivative and doesn't really have its own identity. The later games would be much better about differentiating themselves. However, unlike Etrian Odyssey, it's not a dungeon crawler, just a regular JRPG, where you create your own band of characters and go around slaying dragons. Sounds like fun, huh? Anyways, as mentioned before, it is part of a series, which only consists of 4 games. Unfortunately, only the 4th game got an official English release, where the others never left Japan.

That is, until a goon by the name of Pokeytax completed a fan translation of the game in 2014. (And the 2nd game later on.) You can find the fan translation here.

If you're wondering why there are 2 patches for the game, well... I won't lie, the game has some problems. It's very rough around the edges, but the two biggest problems the game has are the ridiculously high encounter rates, and the damage tiles. There are damage tiles everywhere, which take off a decent chunk of your party's HP and dealing with them is very tedious. One of the patches just translates the text, and leaves the rest of the game alone. The USA patch translates the game, but also halves the encounter rate, and heavily lowers the amount of damage the party takes from damage tiles, eliminating the two biggest problems with the game. If you plan on playing this game, please play the humane patch. The game is rough around the edges enough as it is. With that said, I did enjoy my time with the game, and hope to show if off to all of you.

Spoiler Policy

Considering that the only game that was released outside of Japan was the 4th game, and that game spoils all the previous games, I'd appreciate it if discussion of spoilers in any of the games doesn't take place at all.

Table of Contents:

Update 1: The Road Ahead
Test Update

Haven't really LPed a JRPG before, only dungeon crawlers, so I want to make sure I'm doing a decent job at this. Not all the characters in the game have face portraits, so I had to make do with resizing their overhead sprites instead. Does it look alright?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tales of Xillia is the thirteenth in the series of Tales JRPGs made by the now-defunct Namco Tales Studio arm of Bandai Namco, made to commemorate the series' fifteenth anniversary. It's also one of the few games in the series with a direct sequel, but I haven't played that game and it's not important right now. If you haven't played a Tales game, here's what I tend to associate them with: melodramatic stories, characters who are Very Anime, :words:, and tons of plot twists. The games in the series most fans tend to hold up are Symphonia (which is maybe the best game ever when you’re 12 but has aged incredibly poorly and is quite possibly the schmaltziest game in existence), Abyss (which has plenty of detractors but is nevertheless my favorite), and Vesperia (a game that most people seem to love, but that I don't really have much of an opinion on). Those also happen to be the only games in the main series I've actually played besides this one.

While the series' core Linear Motion Battle system remains pretty similar between titles, the changes made in each game keep them all fairly distinct. This game uses the Dual Raid Linear Motion Battle System, a complete mess of a phrase that's only slightly less meaningless than it sounds. The important thing is that Xillia is straight-up fun. I'm not great at this game, but I'll probably end up making a video or two showing it off eventually, and the boss fights will be recorded instead of screenshotted. Yes, this is technically going to be a hybrid LP.

We're gonna see as much of this game as possible, at least the parts that I deem relevant or interesting. This game has tons of sidequests, most of which I will almost certainly excise because they’re all generic as hell. I’m still going to do them, because I’m an idiot, but there’s no point in showing them. As for this game's gimmick, we'll cover that down below in the first update. It's going to suck for me, I'll tell you that.

While it’s overall a solid entry in the series it’s worth noting that Xillia kind of suffers in comparison to some of the others in a few ways. For one, there’s a real dearth of meaningful content, particularly in the endgame. The game’s story is also, uh, something. It’s generic-rear end Tales, sure, but if I was pressed to describe it, I’d have to say it seems… rushed? Even with the series’ requisite jargon abound (though nowhere near as bad as Abyss’, jesus christ), it doesn’t feel very fleshed out, I guess. To say any more would probably end up spoiling something, and while this game isn't as absurd with plot twists as some other entries in the series (again, Abyss, my god), please tag any spoilers. Especially for the sequel. The story in this game isn't great or anything, but I do like it for what it is.

But what does Xillia mean?

Buddy, I’m not even sure how to pronounce it.

Prologue

Part 1

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm reposting this here in the discussion thread for those who don't follow the recommendation thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTzwCvyWjGo

A surprisingly accurate video on the history of let's play, taking the role SA had in making this a thing in full regard. A good watch.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

So Oregon Trail was the start of it all. That explains the Let's Play thread icon.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
Let's Play has dysentery.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Something Awful Forums
October 19, 2016

Weather: warm
Forums Width: 56 pages
LP Depth: 5465

You may:
1. attempt to LP huniepop
2. youtube dump
3. resolve technical issues
4. lurk more

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Edmond Dantes posted:

Something Awful Forums
October 19, 2016

Weather: warm
Forums Width: 56 pages
LP Depth: 5465

You may:
1. attempt to LP huniepop
2. youtube dump
3. resolve technical issues
4. lurk more

Where's the option to post untagged spoilers in a thread marked no spoilers?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Where's the option to post untagged spoilers in a thread marked no spoilers?

That menu was for the "LPer" class, you want the "TDI Fanboy" class.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Random question for anyone with archives or a good memory. How far did Hellowinter get in their Phoenix Wright LP? Trying to figure out where to resume with Mors Rattus's LP. (Having previously resumed Hellowinter's where Mega64 left off. What a tangled web we weave.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Random question for anyone with archives or a good memory. How far did Hellowinter get in their Phoenix Wright LP? Trying to figure out where to resume with Mors Rattus's LP. (Having previously resumed Hellowinter's where Mega64 left off. What a tangled web we weave.)

She only got as far as the opening of case 4. Mors Rattus has reached case 5.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
Test post, as I've never done an SSLP before. There are a few pics with pause in them that I need to replace because I'm dumb, but looking for any feedback. The game is Tormentum: Dark Sorrow

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=145843

Lot of large images, so data warning.

PeaceDiner
Mar 24, 2013

Zenithe posted:

Test post, as I've never done an SSLP before. There are a few pics with pause in them that I need to replace because I'm dumb, but looking for any feedback. The game is Tormentum: Dark Sorrow

http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=145843

Lot of large images, so data warning.

One thing I'd recommend is making icons for all the characters who speak so you can just use those instead of putting in a screenshot for every single line of dialogue; it helps to keep things looking neat and will reduce the number of screenshots needed. In addition, I would personally resize the larger images so that all the images are the same size.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If you plan on submitting this to the LP Archive when you're done, it has a max width of 900px for images. In general for forum updates I'd recommend trying to keep it under 1024px.

baldurk
Jun 21, 2005

If you won't try to find coherence in the world, have the courtesy of becoming apathetic.
It also shouldn't be loving 90MB of PNGs. Convert them to JPGs and it'll be a fraction of that size.

One of these is 1.6MB, one is 143KB:

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

baldurk posted:

It also shouldn't be loving 90MB of PNGs. Convert them to JPGs and it'll be a fraction of that size.

One of these is 1.6MB, one is 143KB:

Haha, wow. I'd really glad I asked, thanks for letting me know.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

While working on an update just now, I noticed that the latest version of Firefox now blocks Adobe Flash by default, popping up a notification asking whether you want to run it or not.

I knew this was coming, I think Chrome is going to do something similar. It's because Flash is just not secure anymore and it's time to switch to HTML 5.

The thing is, some services we commonly use - in my case TinDeck - aren't up to date yet and only support Flash. It still works, but it costs an extra click just to play a soundbite and it's expected that as time goes on, browsers will make it more and more difficult to run flash stuff.

Might be a good idea to start looking into HTML5-supporting alternatives.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

The thing is, some services we commonly use - in my case TinDeck - aren't up to date yet and only support Flash. It still works, but it costs an extra click just to play a soundbite and it's expected that as time goes on, browsers will make it more and more difficult to run flash stuff.

Might be a good idea to start looking into HTML5-supporting alternatives.

I agree, but in this specific case, you know that lpix can host MP3s now, right? As long as they don't exceed the per-file size limit. Should be perfect for soundbites.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I agree, but in this specific case, you know that lpix can host MP3s now, right? As long as they don't exceed the per-file size limit. Should be perfect for soundbites.

... I did not know that. That's useful information.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Didn't Tindeck shut down, or am I thinking of another service?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Didn't Tindeck shut down, or am I thinking of another service?

There was talk of it dying for awhile, but apparently it was just down for a bit and is back as normal. Which is kind of a shame since whoever runs it hasn't really bothered with the site at all the past several years except to try to sell it, which it seems like didn't work out.

It still works fine but doesn't really seem to have much support behind it, and as mentioned the music player is still using Flash in 2016 (though with a couple more clicks you can access the file directly and bypass the Flash player). At this point it's better to pick another service.

As mentioned, LPix can host MP3s now, and if you ask baldurk he'll bump up your account's file size restrictions to 10MB. I still suggest keeping images and GIFs below 2MB, but apparently MP3s are on a separate drive so it's not as big an issue for those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've got a recording device that works great and am finally going to do my LP of Dog's Life on PS2 - here's the first vid - how's the commentary? If it is far too low to hear over the game then I'll rerecord it and try to rebalance it, but if it is loud enough then I can just rebalance from video 2 onwards. Here's the video:

https://youtu.be/jG-vmuxo90M