Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Nyu for 1d4 points of damage
Let's hope I don't mess this test post up.

In Phantom Brave, a 13-year-old girl named Marona is left on an island by herself by her parents who abandoned her when she was 5. She works as a Chroma, which is essentially a hero-for-hire with the twist that she can summon the spirits of the dead, manifesting them into everyday items like pots and trees. Along the way, people will go out of their way to be mean to her, because that's what you do with 13 year old kids who are clearly freaking possessed.

Phantom Brave was originally released in 2004, and has seen several rereleases since. It falls into the Strategy RPG genre of games, with characters the player levels up to pit against enemy combatants. Unlike most other Nippon Ichi Software titles, the maps used are not grid based, which adds a level of complexity (and at times, frustration) that to date only one other title by this company has explored (that being Makai Kingdom.) This game manages to avoid a number of tropes that Nippon Ichi's flagship franchise Disgaea has, focusing on a tale of a young girl trying to make her world better even as others are quick to exploit her. This is a classic underdog story that I personally enjoy, and I think many others will too.

So How Are We Playing This Thing?
I'll be uploading videos on Youtube, with commentary. I intend to break down each map (with its cutscenes) to its own video. I will generally, but not always, try to keep my mouth shut during the cutscenes in case people haven't seen them before. You will all help by suggesting names for characters we recruit. For this playthrough, we will not be focused on the most hardcore optimum builds, instead focusing on what makes the playthrough easier to get through. I may do side videos outside of the storymode, but likely will not feel the need to record every grind session between maps. I may take screenshots if I feel something is best expressed this way.

How Often Are We Playing This Thing?
As we can. In the beginning, it'll be easy to get 2 or 3 maps out of the way. As we get closer to the end, we may have to make do with just one. I'll be sure to at least update the thread once a day.

Feedback
While I've done some live streaming before, this is my first Let's Play, and I'm trying to get better at this in general. So please, feel free to point out when I need to make sure to adjust things. I will mention for what it's worth I capture gameplay with OBS, but have not settled on a solid (free!) video editor yet. I also could benefit from some more advanced editing techniques, but I'm not going to let that stop me from this particular LP.

Spoilers
Story events should be tagged. Unlockable characters that aren't story characters are far less of a concern, especially as we decide the undead spirit army we're going to use to bring Marona to glory!

Videos
Game Introduction! [000]

sethimothy fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Nov 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Thanks for the feedback. I had a chance to look over what I'd recorded last night, and I'm probably just going to reshoot it; I'll be sure to be more mindful of opportunities I can explain things or at least play along with the viewer instead of playing for the viewer. As to trying to put out video every day, I might change the wording to show I'm going to try to push for that kind of schedule, especially in the beginning, although obviously real life happens and (as you mentioned) I'll want to give people time to talk about what's going on, make decisions, that sort of thing.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

In Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled, a world where everyone uses magic is weary of the one guy who can't. That world did just come to near extinction because of the LAST guy who couldn't use magic, of course, so it only makes sense to hate Kairu. He'll need to fight hard to
(USER WAS FROZEN DURING THIS POST)

Here's the thing: Black Sigil is an RPG that came out for the Nintendo DS in 2009, and it has some game breaking bugs in it. It also has some really frustrating design decisions. Part of this is because the game was put together by three people over the course of 5 years and two target consoles. It had a very poor production run because the publisher was not very good at their job. The lack of success on this title caused Archcraft Studios to close its doors. The three members of the studio that made this game have gone on to other things, with the artist and musician finding work in their field elsewhere and the developer/coder moving on to become a lawyer. This game, as a result of a number of these factors, has simply kind of died in obscurity. It isn't remember by all the people who gave it a great review score simply because "It's like Chrono Trigger yay" but it's also generally forgotten by the people who were like "Holy hell this thing is more broken than an antique piece of china left where the three year old can reach it." It simply was, and I'm gonna do my best to show that.

How Are We Playing This Thing?

I'm going to update this thing about once, maybe twice, a week. These videos are longer because RPGs in general don't add themselves well to small chunks of playthrough, but the farther we get into this game the more I may edit some things out like constant fights. In the beginning, however, you all will get to see this game at its best and at its worse. The idea here isn't just to point and laugh at a bad game, but also to appreciate the good stuff that is in this obvious labor of love. In short, I hope to
(USER WAS FROZEN DURING THIS POST)

God drat IT.

Feedback

This will be my second Let's Play for this forum, but of course feedback is always encouraged. I can't get better if you don't shitpost in my thread, guys.

Spoilers
Tag it, but feel free to discuss all things, ESPECIALLY the bugs. Especially especially the game breaking bugs.

A Note About The Bugs
When the game was first being consumed by the game playing public, a number of bugs were presented on the official forums of Studio Archcraft, and also on other popular gaming websites. The official stance of both Studio Archcraft and the publisher Graffiti Entertainment was that if you came across any of these bugs, it was solely because you were playing a pirated version of the game. Graffiti went a step further and states that if anyone could prove the bug happened on the handheld, AND said person had kept their receipt, Graffiti would send out a new cartridge. It is unknown how many cartridges were sent out because of this (a lot of people "conveniently" lost their receipts) but several of those bugs were, in fact, able to be captured by people who were playing on their DS and if I can find the video of that I'll be sharing. So it is known, definitively, that at least a couple of these bugs were not the result of emulation or stolen property. Fun facts.

Videos
Everyone Hates Kairu [001]

sethimothy fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jan 5, 2017

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

Wanted to say thanks to everyone here for the feedback. Between here, and our official Discord, I've gotten some pretty solid feedback. This video was essentially a dry run, because this is a project I've wanted to do, but constantly put off due to a number of concerns as to how to approach it. Several of you, and others, have suggested that I make this a screenshot LP, and I agree this game would go well with that style... but I also find the concept of doing one to be far more tedious than editing things out, trying to keep things concise, and moving forward. (In the discord we had a lot of discussion about the best way to handle any of the infinite random battles we are destined to have after the very first one, for example.) Hopefully you all won't be terribly disappointment and give it a shot when it's up and ready.

sethimothy
Nov 1, 2006

I recently modded my 3DS so that I can capture video, in anticipation of doing an LP of The Alliance Alive, which I am far too excited about than any grown man should be. I recently picked up the demo and put myself to the test. Some of the kinks are working out; for example, it turns out that the reason some sound was missing was because it doesn't matter how well the audio chord is plugged into the 3DS if it isn't also plugged all the way into the PC.

Where I'm really struggling is the best way to PRESENT the video. Capturing shows that the bottom screen is not necessary about 75% of the time, but that other 25% can't be ignored, which means I need a solution that either captures both screens independently, OR I need to capture video and then take that video and split the screens (which seems like a headache as far as video quality is concerned.)

For what it's worth, I'm currently using Snickerdoodle to stream from the 3DS to PC, and then OBS Studio to capture from the gameplay window itself (since Studio removed the ability to capture from specific parts of the monitor for some strange reason.) I use AVS Video Editor which is certainly a nontraditional choice, so I imagine I won't get any suggestions there, although if you have them by all means.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Raw video can be found here, with blowing it up full screen happening about halfway through.

Have a month to get this "right." For me it doesn't even have to be "Youtube Professional" quality, I'd simply settle for "watchable."

sethimothy fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Mar 1, 2018