Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
^^^
true. it depends on what game you're LPing.

I've written OPs that are basically novellas and ones that are also fairly short. How much information do you feel you need to give your audience right up front?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Aquasnake posted:

I think this is the thread that I need. I require Non-Technical LP support. I am hosting the Let's Play Mirror's Edge Co-op thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775454&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 and uploaded my second to last video to Youtube just now but when I went to post an update my thread had been locked for archiving (I'm assuming due to lack of act of activity for almost 3 months.) I wanted to finish my LP before 2016 ended but now I'm not certain as to how. I assume I need to get in contact with a mod or something but I'm not certain how moving threads to the SA archives work.

Please send help. Thank you.

Your thread has been archived. There is nothing mods or admins can do. Make a new thread, include links to previous videos--that's the most common solution.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

FeyerbrandX posted:

And if it isn't done, as long as Crow's right about the casual thread being kosher just throw whatever in there to finish it off.

Go for it. The Casual Thread is pretty casual about what gets posted in there.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

make a 'fake' test character for the purposes of this Sandbox thread as if people were 'responding' with their choices already?

Do this. It will allow the Sandcastle to give you the feedback you're after right away.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I'd prefer something a little less anachronistic than "you bitch!" or "fucker!" while still wanting to convey the same idea.

Neither of those words are anachronistic and both have recorded uses as we know them today dating back to the Middle Ages.

quote:

bitch (n.)
Old English bicce "female dog," probably from Old Norse bikkjuna "female of the dog" (also fox, wolf, and occasionally other beasts), which is of unknown origin. Grimm derives the Old Norse word from Lapp pittja, but OED notes that "the converse is equally possible." As a term of contempt applied to women, it dates from c. 1400; of a man, c. 1500, playfully, in the sense of "dog." Used among male homosexuals from 1930s. In modern (1990s, originally African-American vernacular) slang, its use with reference to a man is sexually contemptuous, from the "woman" insult.

BITCH. A she dog, or doggess; the most offensive appellation that can be given to an English woman, even more provoking than that of whore. ["Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue," 1811]

Bitch goddess coined 1906 by William James; the original one was success.

quote:

gently caress (v.)
"to have sexual intercourse with" (transitive), until recently a difficult word to trace in usage, in part because it was omitted as taboo by the editors of the original OED when the "F" entries were compiled (1893-97). Johnson also had excluded the word, and gently caress wasn't in a single English language dictionary from 1795 to 1965. "The Penguin Dictionary" broke the taboo in the latter year. Houghton Mifflin followed, in 1969, with "The American Heritage Dictionary," but it also published a "Clean Green" edition without the word, to assure itself access to the public high school market.

Written form attested at least from early 16c.; OED 2nd edition cites 1503, in the form fukkit, and the earliest attested appearance of current spelling is 1535 ("Bischops ... may gently caress thair fill and be vnmaryit" [Sir David Lyndesay, "Ane Satyre of the Thrie Estaits"]). Presumably it is a more ancient word, but one not written in the kind of texts that have survived from Old English and Middle English [September 2015: the verb appears to have been found recently in an English court manuscript from 1310]. Buck cites proper name John le Fucker from 1278, but that surname could have other explanations. The word apparently is hinted at in a scurrilous 15c. poem, titled "Flen flyys," written in bastard Latin and Middle English. The relevant line reads:

Non sunt in celi
quia fuccant uuiuys of heli

"They [the monks] are not in heaven because they gently caress the wives of [the town of] Ely." Fuccant is pseudo-Latin, and in the original it is written in cipher. The earliest examples of the word otherwise are from Scottish, which suggests a Scandinavian origin, perhaps from a word akin to Norwegian dialectal fukka "copulate," or Swedish dialectal focka "copulate, strike, push," and fock "penis." Another theory traces the Modern English verb to Middle English fyke, fike "move restlessly, fidget" (see fike) which also meant "dally, flirt," and probably is from a general North Sea Germanic word (compare Middle Dutch fokken, German ficken "gently caress," earlier "make quick movements to and fro, flick," still earlier "itch, scratch;" the vulgar sense attested from 16c.). This would parallel in sense the vulgar Middle English term for "have sexual intercourse," swive, from Old English swifan "to move lightly over, sweep" (see swivel). But OED remarks that these "cannot be shown to be related" to the English word. Liberman has this to say:

Germanic words of similar form (f + vowel + consonant) and meaning 'copulate' are numerous. One of them is G. ficken. They often have additional senses, especially 'cheat,' but their basic meaning is 'move back and forth.' ... Most probably, gently caress is a borrowing from Low German and has no cognates outside Germanic.

Chronology and phonology rule out Shipley's attempt to derive it from Middle English firk "to press hard, beat." The unkillable urban legend that this word is an acronym of some sort (a fiction traceable on the Internet to 1995 but probably predating that), and the "pluck yew" fable, are results of ingenious trifling (also see here). The Old English verb for "have sexual intercourse with" was hæman, from ham "dwelling, home," with a sense of "take home, co-habit." French foutre and Italian fottere seem to resemble the English word but are unrelated, descending rather from Latin futuere, which perhaps is from PIE root *bhau(t)- "knock, strike off," extended via a figurative use "from the sexual application of violent action" [Shipley; compare the sexual slang use of bang, etc.].

gently caress was outlawed in print in England (by the Obscene Publications Act, 1857) and the U.S. (by the Comstock Act, 1873). The word continued in common speech, however. During World War I: "It became so common that an effective way for the soldier to express this emotion was to omit this word. Thus if a sergeant said, 'Get your ----ing rifles!' it was understood as a matter of routine. But if he said 'Get your rifles!' there was an immediate implication of urgency and danger." [John Brophy, "Songs and Slang of the British Soldier: 1914-1918," pub. 1930]. The legal barriers against use in print broke down in mid-20c. with the "Ulysses" decision (U.S., 1933) and "Lady Chatterley's Lover" (U.S., 1959; U.K., 1960). The major breakthrough in publication was James Jones' "From Here to Eternity" (1950), with 50 fucks (down from 258 in the original manuscript).

The abbreviation F (or eff) probably began as euphemistic, but by 1943 it was regarded as a cuss word in its own right. In 1948, the publishers of "The Naked and the Dead" persuaded Norman Mailer to use the euphemism fug. When Mailer later was introduced to Dorothy Parker, she greeted him with, "So you're the man who can't spell 'gently caress' " [The quip sometimes is attributed to Tallulah Bankhead]. Hemingway used muck in "For Whom the Bell Tolls" (1940). Related: hosed; loving. gently caress-all "nothing" first recorded 1960. Verbal phrase gently caress up "to ruin, spoil, destroy" is attested from c. 1916. A widespread group of Slavic words (such as Polish pierdolić) can mean both "fornicate" and "make a mistake." gently caress off attested from 1929; as a command to depart, by 1944. Egyptian legal agreements from the 23rd Dynasty (749-21 B.C.E.) frequently include the phrase, "If you do not obey this decree, may a donkey copulate with you!" [Reinhold Aman, "Maledicta," Summer 1977].

Online Etymology Dictionary is a pretty neat website. Also, I found this list on Mental Floss: http://mentalfloss.com/article/61819/42-old-english-insults

You could search those terms against their recorded uses and find which are most period appropriate (they don't date all of the words in that articles), since those insults are certainly a lot more fun.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Woo! Happy decennary, LP Archives! :toot:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Maybe sometimes, but if a game is worth playing then it's worth playing. If it's worth LPing a second time, then gosh darn it, it's worth LPing a second time.

I do understand the sentiment, though. I defintely needed a break from Turok after the LP, but I've gone back to it since then.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It's a zone with which to do let's plays in, my friend. I would think that was self-evident.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
generally: no news is good news.

if people arenèt complaining about it, then itès probably fine.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sazero posted:

Let's not get our dicks stretched out over here about how a n64 game looks.

sounds like someone never played Shadows of the Empire, one of the best looking games of our generation. graphical fidelity is absolutely key in an N64 classic like that.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Sazero posted:

Why the gently caress do you want 4:3 and waste 1/4th of your screen to black borders?

it's not a waste if you fill it with pictures of dash rendar

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
why the heck wouuld you turn your phone sideways?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
just :lol: if you don't think this is the pinnacle of video resolution:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
:eyepop:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

StrixNebulosa posted:

The other way, doofus.

???

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
nothin' wrong with dead air when it's natural. it can be a problem if you're just trailing off arbitrarily at odd times, but you don't always need to be talking. if you feel it's TOO quiet, you can always get a co-commentator.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Mega64 posted:

I've toyed with the idea of Let's Playing Breath of the Wild, and after a couple attempts realized that the game speaks better for itself than I could really do, so I decided to simply do no-commentary, instead letting the atmosphere of the game itself and Link's actions be its own commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUBcjJaTKAc

Something I'm probably going to do on Youtube regardless, but I'm curious if this would fly here and with this game in particular, and also kinda curious on no-commentary in general since it kinda goes into Long Play territory, which is its own thing, though we've had some creative no-commentary LPs before. If it won't fit this forum then I'll leave it off.

I see no reason why it couldn't fit here. I would say try the thread. If you find no one's watching it or wanting to talk about it after an update or two, then perhaps it wasn't meant to be.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Thefluffy posted:

is the ace combat 5 LP dead now? :ohdear:

crow, update ace combat 5

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Mario.

But who is more cool? Gex or Sonic?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

landgrabber posted:

Okay I'm kinda nervous, but I did one episode of Half-Life 1. WAnted to post it ehere to see if I'm at all tolerable before I made a thread/made it more official.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn9AiKobAew

Run your commentary though a noise filter to take out that background hiss. You won't hear it on lovely laptop speakers or anything, but anyone with a half-decent set of headphones will hear it whenever you talk.

This can be quickly and easily done in Audacity.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Kubbles posted:

How do people here feel about multiplayer LPs?

indifferent? people only really care if an LP is entertaining. there aren't a lot of multiplayer LPs, but they've been done. those that are super interesting are great. those that are boring as hell aren't. that said, sometimes great LPs get overlooked and bland LPs get overexposed--so who knows.

video quality looks solid and you commentary's informative to be interesting (i stuck through the whole video). only way to know how well it'll be received is to :justpost:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Putty posted:

I had the idea to start putting sponsored content in my LPs, but disguise them as screamers so people get scared rather than think I'm a shill. Thoughts?

im gonna take this idea.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Janissary Hop posted:

Thanks, I wanted to make sure I'm not stepping on anyone's toes.

this is not a thing. don't let anyone ever tell you this is a thing. if someone tries to tell you that this is a thing, they are lying.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Chrono Trigger has 5 archived LPs

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yo, nobody better LP Shadows of the Empire or ima come after y'all! LP knife fight, you better believe it!!!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
some people just like screen shot lps. it's a stylistic thing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
alternatively, just make up poo poo wholesale. did you know Minesweeper could have a deep, enthralling story?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

StrixNebulosa posted:

A shame about that crossover ending coming out of nowhere and not being as funny as the lead-up, though.

:negative:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
it was just a troll post. nothing more, nothing less.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
yeah, no news is generally good news. :justpost:

good luck!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
register your SA account through LPix so that the restrictions are removed.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i cant wait for April--i'm going to sticky a whole page worth of threads again.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
I like it!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Xander77 posted:

Din't we used to have a cyoa tag? What happened to it?

i dont remember--you sure it was LP? the other game forums definitely have tags we dont. i know ive coveted Imp Zone's tags for some time...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
i mean, that's basically what we're here for

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
If you want discussion archived, quote it and include it in your updates. Many people have done that, myself included.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
stay tuned for my next drunken bender where i sticky 3 pages worth of threads

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Putty, are you trying to tell us something? Are your LPs haunted?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

habeasdorkus posted:

Also, I know the FM14 LP was never finished, but I'd love to see it on LPArchive.org, if only until the end of my last season with Wrexham. Who could I speak with about that?

Read the OP. There's info in the first post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Hey Let's Play, happy New Year! You're all a wonderful bunch of people who do awesome stuff and are why I keep posting here.

May 2018 be pretty alright for you!