Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Title: The closest thing we'll get to HL3 - Let's Play Metro: Last Light

Привет, товарищи! Welcome to

Metro: Last Light is the sequel to 2010' s Metro 2033. If you haven't played Metro 2033, you should check pannycakes's and ApocalypseToast's LP's. I'll be providing a short summary of the first game's events that should be enough to get you up to speed, but 2033 is a great game and you may miss out on some of the smaller details and returning characters, so I suggest you go watch them. I'll wait a bit.

All Done? Wait, what do you mean :effort:? Argh, ok, let's ask Wikipedia:

Previously, on Metro 2033 posted:

Metro 2033 is a first-person shooter developed by 4A Games and published by THQ. The story is based on Dmitry Glukhovsky's novel of the same name, and is set in the ruins of Moscow following a nuclear war, where the survivors are forced to live in underground metro tunnels. Players control Artyom, a man who must defeat an evil mutant race known as the Dark Ones.

In 2013, a nuclear war occurred. Russia was targeted with atomic bombs, causing severe radiation across Moscow. This forced the survivors to live underground in the metro stations away from the deadly effects of radiation. Many animals were heavily mutated into aggressive beasts, which made travel dangerous.

Twenty years later in 2033, the northern Metro station of VDNKh (known in-game as "Exhibition") is under attack by a group of mysterious creatures referred to as the Dark Ones. Artyom (Russian: Артём), a 20-year-old male survivor born before the bombs fell, is persuaded to leave his home there and seek help from the rest of the Metro by Hunter, an elite soldier of the Polis Rangers. Hunter gives Artyom his dog tags and tells him to present these to see if the rest of the Rangers will help his station.

Artyom must travel through territory occupied by the Stalinist 'Red Line' and a Fourth Reich, and infested with mutants as well as the much changed surface of Moscow. Once in Polis, he meets with a Ranger named Miller, who agrees to help him. Miller knows of a missile silo known as D6 that has the firepower necessary to destroy the Dark Ones. Artyom, Miller, and several other Rangers reactivate the command centre, and Artyom installs a laser guidance system on a nearby radio tower. After the laser system is installed, Artyom experiences a vivid hallucination induced by a Dark One.

After the hallucination, two endings are possible, depending on choices the player makes throughout the game. In the canonical ending, Artyom allows the missiles to fire, destroying the Dark Ones; only to realize later that they sought peace and the deaths by them were accidental. The alternate ending gives Artyom the choice to destroy the laser guidance device, citing a last-minute realization that the Dark Ones were actually attempting to make peaceful contact through the hallucinations. This ending is only available by performing various positive acts throughout the game, such as helping out fellow humans and not automatically fleeing the Dark Ones in various hallucinations.

To be quite honest, I didn't like Metro 2033 when I first played it. It had a great premise and a fantastic moody setting, but the enemies were bullet spongy as hell and came in swarms, ammo was scarce and you were likely to end up using your Military-grade ammo (the game's currency) just to shoot monsters, which ended up screwing you in the long run. There was a stealth mechanic in place that helped you get through a lot of the human-populated levels, but since the game never told you you could just stealth sections, you ended up fighting your way out. A lot of people recommended playing it in Ranger Mode, because it made bullets waaaay more lethal, which ended up having the side effect of making the game easier since you ended up saving ammo.

There was also a Karma system which influenced the game's ending, but it relied on stuff such as "play every balalaika and musical instrument in the game" asides from easier to spot decisions like not shooting the Dark One in the face, and it ended up having causing most people to miss out on the game's Good Ending, so much that the Ranger Ending -where you blow up the Dark Ones- is the canonical ending to 2033, since that's what most people got.

The Karma system makes a return in Last Light, and we'll be aiming for the Good Ending. Please note I said "aiming for"; the karma system is a bit twitchy, but since I'm planning on showing off conversations and grabbing all the notes I'm fairly confident we'll get it. I'll be explaining how it works as we run into the positive and negative karma triggers. Depending on how much backtracking I have to do I may do a bonus video showing off the different results for the major decisions in the game, and the other ending.

I got Last Light with a GFX card, installed it to give said card a test ride and ended up loving it. The game is more accessible, stealth is easier (a lot easier, bordering on cheap if you abuse it), and it looks and sounds amazing. So grab a drink, dim the lights, put on your headphones, and come explore post-nuclear Moscow with Artyom.

Why are you playing this and not Redux?
Metro Redux is a remake of both 2033 and LL in a slightly modified LL engine. As such, there really isn't much difference between the base game and Redux; if you never played either game you'll want Redux, but if you already have a copy of LL you're set. 2033 gains the most from this remake, so if you tried 2033 and found it a bit janky or too difficult you may want to give 2033 Redux a try.

Update Schedule?
I'll try and update once a week, probably on Mondays. I'm planning on doing one video per chapter, so depending on their length I may do 2 in the same video.

Jesus H. Christ you suck at FPSs.
That's not a question. Also, yes.

Spoilers?
Discussing 2033's events is ok, but let's keep the thread spoiler-free regarding not only the story but setpieces and locations as well. Yes, that means not even in spoiler tags.

(Both link to the same video for now).

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Sep 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

DreamShipWrecked posted:

The video quality is pretty good, although I would probably increase the size of your subtitles quite a bit. They are very small compared to the size of the rest of the video.

Yeah, noticed that when I stepped back from the monitor for a bit; they're currently at 36 points size, I made a mockup with 48 and 52 points:

36 (current)

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Xander77 posted:

Huh. Serious question - how do you copy-paste wikipedia text in a way that introduces spelling errors?

Proofread in general, you have a lot of stuff like "waaaaaaaay lethal" (omitting the "more") in there.

Thanks. I have no idea how the 'ws got there to be honest. The rest can be explained by me being bad at English (second language), or at least not practising enough writing lately. I corrected the most glaring errors (at least the ones I found).

Here's a new version of the video with the bigger font size and (hopefully) somewhat better video quality, I've been experimenting with encoders. I also updated the test post to correct those mistakes and try out a new header image.

http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fyoutu.be%2FteaUhnntHP0

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Are you gonna be using them for dialogue? Something may look good with one line of text, but if you get into a bunch of lines you get a lot of negative space. Imagine a full length conversation with this spacing:

TheMcD posted:

75x75:

I'm tending towards 64x64, but that's because of my tendency to go towards smaller images and because I kind of want to hide my crummy image editing. So because of that, I'm looking for second opinions, and once I decide on something.
I'm tending towards 64x64, but that's because of my tendency to go towards smaller images and because I kind of want to hide my crummy image editing. So because of that, I'm looking for second opinions, and once I decide on something.

64x64:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Etiquette question, I guess. A future update (probably more than one, as it's a repeating enemy) for my Metro: Last Light LP will feature spiders. The mutated, giant, half-scorpion type. A lot of them. Should I put up a warning alongside the update?

BlindGuy posted:

Click here for the full 1256x1597 image

I can't exactly use a paint program to draw in the appropriate grid squares.
Sorry if I'm misunderstanding, but if that's the map and it was supposed to be written on with something erasable, wouldn't jotting on the map or using tokens with paint or other software be the best way of handling it? Is the map you posted different from the actual game on (as you mention you don't have access to it)?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

chitoryu12 posted:

I dunno, is CJacobs following your LP?
Everyone is following my LP. :smugbert: Oh god why is no one commenting I have like 50% of the thread's posts to my name :negative:

IGgy IGsen posted:

I mean, even if he isn't, just letting people know that your video may contain spiders shouldn't be too much trouble unless typing or speaking a couple more words will literally kill you, in that case please be safe.
Yeah, fair enough. It's not like it's going to be a spoiler, the first 5 minutes of the video is "let's walk thorough cobwebs and things that look like giant spider eggs".

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

JordanKai posted:

It's just misdirection.

Of course. They're not spider eggs, they just look like spider eggs. They're actually part spider, part scorpion, part Antlion on steroids.

CJacobs posted:

Hey! I resemble that claim!
You should consider skipping Episode 7 of my LP in that case. :v:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

BlindGuy posted:

the map I posted is a scan of the actual game map, as far as I know. :) The problem I'm talking about is that I am actually totally blind, so I can't reliably use a paint program for anything, let alone tokens or what have you.

I had a friend who was kind enough to transfer the grid to a spreadsheet, which is the only way I'm able to keep track of what's where. It's not exactly friendly for sighted people, however.

Well that puts a spin on things.

How much do you expect the sheet to change on a turn by turn basis? If it's small incremental changes (say, one unit moves one square), you could keep those updates text-only and then link to a google sheets copy of your spreadsheet every X turns. For example, if 10 turns make a day you just upload your sheet at the day's end and link it so people can have everything in one place.

You may want to check PoptartNinja's Battletech thread (fair warning: it's gigantic) to see how he handles turn-by-turn updates. He does have some images since unit movement can get a bit tricky there, but since yours is a grid and the map itself doesn't change you may be able to get away with it. Here's an update post from his thread.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Something Awful Forums
October 19, 2016

Weather: warm
Forums Width: 56 pages
LP Depth: 5465

You may:
1. attempt to LP huniepop
2. youtube dump
3. resolve technical issues
4. lurk more

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Can I get a second opinion on this?

Which subtitle works better? Game is quite dark most of the time, I think the 'regular' subs stand out a bit too much:

Bottom, 100% opacity.

So I tried playing with the opacity:

Bottom, 75% opacity.

Bottom, 50% opacity.

They're basically the same I used For Metro: Last Light, but in LL they were at the top of the screen since the game's were at the bottom and I wanted to avoid overlapping, but I don't think they work very well here:
Top, 100% opacity

Thanks!

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 3, 2017

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Turtlicious posted:

I like this one the best.

I'm between that one (50%) and 75%, so I split the difference:

75%

66%

50%

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I don't mind the intro sound, but yeah, that end card I can do without.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kanfy posted:

Hello, I was looking around and noticed that nobody had done an LP of the Shadowrun Returns game(s) yet. It made me toy around with the idea of doing so myself, but seeing as I haven't done an LP before and know it's a fair bit of effort for a game like that, I figured I'd throw in a test update first to see if I'm at all on the right track before I overextend myself.

I've omitted character creation for now since I haven't yet decided on how to handle it. If it ends up taking long enough to warrant its own update then I'll extend the first "real" one to cover a bit more, probably the first fight at least. It also dawns on me that the second music track maybe cuts off a bit too soon, might have to extend that as well.

OP
Update 1 - Down and Out

The LP Archive has a maximum image width of 900, so if you think you'll want to see yours archived you may want to consider resizing your larger images to that width.

/edit: portraits may be just a bit on the large side, I think last time portrait size was discussed the consensus had been 75x75 being a good size to aim for.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 22, 2017

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kanfy posted:

Yeah? I went by the fact I saw other LPs using a similar image size, like PoptartsNinja's TOR one. I originally intended to go for a lower resolution, but the game's HD scaling feature only works on 1920x1080 or above as far as I can tell and without it either the UI and text get uncomfortably small or the low resolution makes it super blurry. 900 width also makes things a tad hard to see, but I guess I'll see if I can figure something out.

Tae posted:

What? gently caress.
It doesn't mean it won't display images larger than that, it just resizes them, but it's good to keep in mind.

Kanfy posted:

It's one of those games with pretty realistic and detailed portraits so I wasn't sure if making them too small made 'em annoying to look at. If not then I can certainly do that.

"What you're saying is that I also oughta cut a bit off the top and bottom to make the portraits square like this?"

"Well, as long as they can see my lovely tattoo."
I think these portraits look good.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
:yeah:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

sagacious posted:

So I want to do a subtitle LP of Abzu. Now I never done a sub LP before so I posted a test video to see if the subs are on screen long enough.
I'm curious what you guys think any help/advice on subbing is welcome

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCb7ajndUvo

The rule of thumb I follow is: keep characters per second (the CPS column) between 10 and 15 (15 is already a bit on the fast side of things, I try to stick closer to 10 whenever possible), with a minimum of 2 seconds line duration.

Duration for the subs look good, only suggestions I have style-wise would be to bump up the font size a bit, and maybe give it some more distance from the bottom of the frame.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I think it depends on what's going on with the game's UI; I went with top for Last Light since the game's subs were at the bottom and, while I tried avoiding 'talking' over game dialogue, I had to do it from time to time for timing purposes so it made sense having them at the top.

For Inside I went with subs at the bottom since there's no dialogue or prompts.

/edit: let me expand a bit. Also remember that I'm not an authority on subtitles by any means, this is just what I learned from my extensive history of 2 LPs (!?).

This is from LL. As TooMuchAbstraction mentioned, subs may have worked better at the bottom here for more contrast. Since I have a bit of a drop shadow going it's not terrible though.

Now, this is a good example of what not to do:

I was syncing by sound instead of video; my line actually goes away a split second before Anna actually starts talking, her subs show up a bit ahead of time but I really should have made that line go away half a second sooner to avoid the clutter. If I had gone for subs at the bottom, though, you can see how it would become an even bigger mess.

Finally, Inside.

The main character is usually positioned closer to the bottom of the screen, so I didn't want people having to 'dart' their eyes up and down every time I said something, and also the lower part is usually darker, tying again into contrast. Keep in mind that too much contrast is a thing though; those subs have a ~30% transparency on them because it made them super annoying and clashed horribly against the game's style otherwise.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jul 19, 2017

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

To add a non-shitpost to this page, I finished editing the second episode of my presumptive Let's Break Morrowind LP. How's this video look? I encoded it as an... F4V? Which sounds wrong, but H.264 wouldn't let me do 60 FPS for some stupid reason. I'm trying to encode it as an FLV now, but it's gonna take forever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdPzGRMi4ZM

What are you using to encode that won't do h.264 at 60fps? And what format are you encoding from?

/edit: Video doesn't look too hot to be honest. Text is kinda blurry, and whenever you're moving the compression is quite noticeable. What are you recording with, and what are your in-game settings?

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 23, 2017

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
I've used Nvidia's shadowplay for most of my recording, but lately I've been getting annoyed because it doesn't actually record constant framerate; from time to time it'll spit out a 59.84 fps recording instead of 60 and while this isn't a big issue if I manage to single-take a recording, Premiere hates variable bitrate and will desync your audio to hell if I need to/want to do some editing.

I had been using Handbrake to set the non-constant 60 videos to 60, but it's an extra step so :effort:, and it means another re-encoding pass, which I'd rather avoid.

So, I decided to give OBS a try, and here's where my issues/questions start:

For most of my recordings, I used Shadowplay at "High" Settings, which from what I've been told it's way overkill, but it looked good and I had space, so hey.

After I got this pointed out to me I took it down to 20mpbs, which was also fine, until I hit that fps issue I mention above.

Now, when I installed OBS, and these are the default recording settings:

But I wanted to see what the bitrate was, so I hit advanced and...

2500 kbps!? My brain went "well, it's using the same encoder as Shadowplay, so I should be using the same mbps I have over there?" and set it to 20000 (20 mbps!), which was working fine... until I started getting "Encoding overloaded!" errors in OBS which ruined a couple recordings.

I started googling a bit and I see people recommending 8k tops for 1080p 60, then someone in reddit saying anything below 120k is garbage, then Nvidia themselves recommending anything from 6k to 12k depending on upload speed (which is probably for streaming and not recording), so I'm kinda coming out empty here.

Neither GPU nor CPU are capping at any poing during recording (2014 game on a 2060 with a Ryzen 3600), no idea why it's throwing those Encoder Overloaded errors but I don't want to risk it happening again.

These are my current settings. Is it overkill? Should I just go down to 10/12k or below?

Should I be using another encoder that's not Nvidia's with OBS? I was using that one since CPU encoding spikes my CPU temp like a motherfucker (thanks, Ryzen's stock cooler), and I'd really rather avoid that scenario if possible.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Hey, thanks for the encoding tips; I've been fiddling with my settings since it appears the game was taking up a whole bunch of GPU processing... for some reason, which didn't leave any overhead for the NVEC to run properly.

Dropping the game from very high to high (which I legit cannot tell apart) made the GPU% usage go from ~90 to ~45. Yeah, I don't know either.

Having said that, I'm still getting the ocassional "encoder overloaded" error which just completely ruins my recordings, so I've gone back to Shadowplay until I sort it out.

Now, quick question: My original (abandoned 4 updates in) thread is super dead (locked for archival). I'm planning to start a new one once I get a couple more updates stashed; should I just post all already published updates at once, or do I just start like nothing happened and post them as if they were regular updates?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Mraagvpeine posted:

How long ago was your original thread?

2 years almost to the day. :shobon:

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Oh yeah? Just wait I until my co-commentator subbed LP next week.

I'm kidding, nobody wants to be in my LPs that's why I ended up talking to myself in one. Through subs.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
So how does everyone handle the crushing realisation that Nobody Watches Your poo poo And Never Will? Because let me tell you, the last 4-5 updates for my LP have less combined watch time than what it took me to record/edit them and... ow. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Oh, I never got into it to 'make it big' or anything of the sort, I've always loved LPs and making one looked like a fun longish term project to tackle, and I do enjoy the editing part. And I did have fun for two of them; got a few views and regulars that got some discussion going in the threads, but after I came back to 2033 it started to feel more and more like posting into the void. Views in the 10-20s, a couple times went for 2-3 updates in a row without a single post... and updates started to feel an obligation rather that something I looked forward to.

I agree with the 'do it for yourself', but I also think there's an inherent 'hey look, I made this!' to anything you put out there. It's not looking for validation exactly but... a nod of acknowledgement that it was made? If that makes sense? Like, I love baking brownies and I'm confident in my brownie skills seriously I make stupid good brownies, but If I baked a tray to take to a dinner at a friend's and at the end of the night nobody had even tried a piece, It'd sting a little.

I know it's closer to bringing brownies to a brownie party when talking about LPs, just let me have my analogy or would it be a simile. :colbert:

Jamesman posted:

Also crying. Lots and lots of crying.
:hmmyes: