Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Hey there, I'm working on a new LP and wanted to get some feedback on the subtitles. I've done subtitles before, but it was always extra stuff that didn't matter all that much. For this series I'll be transcribing and subtitling all of the dialogue in the game so I want to make sure it's good. I'm particularly worried about the size, I feel like it might be a little small, but also don't want it to be too big and distracting. Here's the preliminary video, any feedback is appreciated. Skip to about 4:50 to bypass all the intro stuff.

https://youtu.be/vmrQfNJ9FAg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

berryjon posted:

I'm surprised that there's no in-game subtitles.

I'm also seeing some bad symbols. 5:50, you have some odd things, like åϵ¦ in front of "if, you cooperate."

Ah, good catch. I'd seen that before but thought I fixed all the instances. Guess not.

And yeah, this game not having in-game subtitles is ridiculous considering how often the dialogue gets drowned out by gunfire and explosions. It's the reason I don't want to LP it without adding subtitles of my own. Did you have any feedback about the size of the text?

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

berryjon posted:

Not really. I watched it in windowed and full screen modes, and it was readable in both.

Alright, cool. Thanks.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Oheao posted:

Here is an article that the Washington Post made on let's plays and their loss of popularity to streaming. I was curious on what the SA LP community thinks of it.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts...m=.0fd30749c842

Personally, the last 2 paragraphs are what really hit for me. I prefer LPs, both making and watching, because the final product seems much more "complete". Like, you know that the video contains exactly what the LPer wants to show you, assuming half-decent editing. Some of this is that SA elitism that you guys were discussing a couple days ago, but even in the early days of streaming I got that vibe that people liked doing it more because it was easier. You can just hit the stream button and then play and not worry about editing your video or audio, or doing multiple takes to show something off just right. All the things that would get ripped on in a VLP like messing around in the menus, repeated deaths, and backtracking are all just considered "part of the magic" of streaming. I can kind of get that it's a more authentic experience sometimes, but it never feels like you're seeing the game in its best light.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Ragnar Homsar posted:

Some of us in the SALT Discord are working on getting an offsite up and running by the end of the day. I'm doubtful that Lowtax will let this place go, so...

The problem is that if every subforum rushes to get their own offsite up as quickly as possible, everything is just going to wither and die. Its worth pointing out that as dumb and dead as the LPZone is, it's actually one of the more successful (non-hate-fueled) offsite attempts. Make plans for an offsite for sure, but I don't think you should rush to be the first one up before stuff here actually shakes out.

Xander77 posted:

I was just about to say that people were bringing that up as an alternative.

What's wrong with it?

LPZone was started by a clique of well-connected LP popular kids due to some previous forums drama. That's a bit of a salty take, I know, and truth is I don't remember what the drama was. Odds are looking back and considering the other forums drama since, they were probably a lot more justified than I was/am giving them credit for. But from what I can tell there were only 2 types of LPZone users: those who were mirroring their SA LPs, and those who were there to follow Chip and Ironicus. And I'm pretty sure those guys stopped posting.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Ragnar Homsar posted:

It's been in the works since December, when the FYAD stuff was happening and a bunch of trans people no longer felt safe on SA.

Then that's way better than I assumed. I should join the discord, but I'm old and it still feels weird having lots of discord channels.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

nightelf_37 posted:

Huh. Guess I'm not cut out for SSLPs after all. :( Simply playing them isn't enough, I have to be informative as heck, too.

The best advice I've seen on this subforum, as far as approach goes, is to pretend that you have a friend coming over to sit on the couch and watch you play video games. They are your audience.

What game would you pick? Would you sit in silence? Or just describe what's happening on screen? This is what people mean when they imply that "simply playing them isn't enough".

There's no single correct answer for style, but you need to do something to ensure that your "friend" is entertained. Whether that's making jokes, or being informative, or showing off secrets and easter eggs, or letting them make choices, or doing a blind run so you can experience it together, or whatever else. You just need to make sure that your "friend" doesn't get so bored that they remember a dentist's appointment and leave.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

QuarkJets posted:

I just want to comment on how insanely easy Nvidia Shadowplay is to use, I used to post let's plays in the dark ages of 2010 and the ease of recording high quality footage today is absolutely insane

For real. In a drawer somewhere I still have my Gamebridge and the whole mess of cables I needed to split the video and audio and get it where it needed to go. And now I can just Alt+F9 and go.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Every time you need a hint, you have to start the next video by narrarating a chapter of a thematically appropriate romance novel. Bonus points for MS Paint illustrations as well.

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle
Okay, just caught up on this. What the gently caress? My first big hook into SomethingAwful was a "Let's Watch" thread for Starship Troopers full of hilarious gifs, and then from there I got linked to some of TDI's Resident Evil threads and I've been here ever since.

It's exceptionally weird to see someone who seems to have figured out the whole content creator parasocial relationship thing (make people care about you personally), but then instead of doing anything productive he just used it to make a bunch of people sad. hosed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrenzyTheKillbot
Jan 31, 2008

Good Hustle

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

We're meant to enjoy the games that we LP?!

When you start the LP, yeah. By the time you finish it, not so much.