Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Time to prep my Super Mario 64 SSLP test post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I remember when the three month rule was still the six month rule. But yeah, the overall atmosphere at the time was pretty restricting and caused some possibly great LPs to simply not happen. I'm definitely happier with how the forum is now.

e: The SM64 SSLP joke reminded me that a few years ago I did a test SSLP update for SMB3, part as a laugh, part to see if I could pull it off, part to encourage people to get more creative and goofy with LP premises.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Sep 14, 2016

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The only LPs I've heard Baldurk turned down were his own.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

Didn't Tindeck shut down, or am I thinking of another service?

There was talk of it dying for awhile, but apparently it was just down for a bit and is back as normal. Which is kind of a shame since whoever runs it hasn't really bothered with the site at all the past several years except to try to sell it, which it seems like didn't work out.

It still works fine but doesn't really seem to have much support behind it, and as mentioned the music player is still using Flash in 2016 (though with a couple more clicks you can access the file directly and bypass the Flash player). At this point it's better to pick another service.

As mentioned, LPix can host MP3s now, and if you ask baldurk he'll bump up your account's file size restrictions to 10MB. I still suggest keeping images and GIFs below 2MB, but apparently MP3s are on a separate drive so it's not as big an issue for those.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Also make sure any e-mails aren't going into your spam folder. Had that happen on a secondary account and I didn't catch it for weeks.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

Huh, when did the forum start archiving threads again?

IIRC archiving was still off due to the last mishap and ZDR didn't notice until recently when someone mentioned it.

So if you've got an LP you might continue, at least keep the thread bumped every three months.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

On the other hand, there are people who avoid SSLP's like the plague and even prefer VLPs of stuff like jRPGs.

The LPer should go with what they feel suits the LP and their personal style the best and try to make the LP work from there.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Some awkward sentences here and there but as a big FF5 fan this looks crazy interesting to me and I'd definitely follow such an LP.

And yeah, focus on the mechanics, nobody's going to read a ROM hack LP for the plot.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

You picked a hell of a first Let's Play to do.

Can't really speak for image quality (looks fine to me for an upscaled 3DS game, but I tend to have a bad eye for this sort of thing), but commentary seems fine enough, and you look to have a good balance between screenshots and dialogue during conversations. Lengthy RPGs are generally not the best first LP but multiple people have pulled it off including myself, so might as well try.

I think it looks good!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

drat, that's amazing! Here's to another ten!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I need some advice on how to handle character portraits. I'm planning to do Paper Mario as a SSLP, which is kind of a pain for various reasons I'll get into once I start the LP, but right now I'm stuck on character portraits. The main issue is that my best bet is using character sprites, but the sprites themselves have large size variations, which means if I do consistent portrait sizes like 64x64, there's a lot of ugly blank space, but I can't really go lower than that without doing some ugly resizing that throws scale right off. 50x50 helps with that, but it also means I have to resize the larger sprites such as Bowser, which can look rather ugly.

Mainly, I want to see which one people think look the best, or if there's a better alternative I can go with (I've thrown around the idea of using other Mario game sprites, and I've even made very rough sprite edits for the game's partners when I toyed with LPing this game several years ago, but I really don't want to make special edits for each unique character model, such as the entire Goomba family so I'd rather avoid that option if possible).

This is kinda long so I posted all my options in the SSLP test poster.

Feedback is much appreciated!

e: Added a couple more options for left-oriented 50x50 portraits.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 4, 2017

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Definitely going left-orientation, Bowser Face, and probably 64x64 at this rate but may still go 50x50 later.

Much appreciated, and hopefully I'll get the LP up sometime tomorrow!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Many of Tindeck's uploads randomly break. I've had to reupload each MP3 file for my last update several times before it worked.

LPix or self-hosting is probably the best option at this point.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Congratulations!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I'm thirty hours in and still have large chunks of the map missing.

Good luck 100%ing it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mraagvpeine posted:

Can someone explain to me what Let's Play Zone is?

Short story, there was a Twitter argument between Lowtax and several prominent LPers that resulted in the latter getting banned (and a bunch of others leaving). I think the LP Zone was planned for awhile but this kicked it into gear.

It's been slow to take off but I assume because they're still trying to get established (they just launched their Discord yesterday). I do hope they grow though because it'd be nice to have competition that isn't obnoxious shriekbats to help both communities improve our craft (their recommended hardware/software certainly seems less outdated than ours, for instance).

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I slap like buttons like as to if they were drenched with the creamy gravy sauce of the gravy cream

Remove the face cam and I think you're set.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

No one better be talking poo poo about lazycat619 in this thread.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

BioEnchanted posted:

I think it's because all the american TV I've seen treats Disney land like that kind of experience so my perspective is skewed. British People (including me) love Alton Towers but it's not in every show as a "The Family/Team goes to Alton Tower" special like in many american sitcoms, so americans don't think much of it because it's not literally EVERYWHERE in our media. You could see how my position was cemented by everything between Rosanne and Sabrina the Teenage Witch :P

Part of that is Disney owns ABC and has its own network, so of course they're gonna plug their theme parks in those shows.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Max for LPix is 2MB, so that's usually the rule I use.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

juicedup posted:

So BBcode looks simple and all, but is there a faster way to do it?
I didn't see any guides in the techsupport fort about how to make screenshot lps.
Are you just supposed to wing it?

Here's a rough guide I post when this comes up. Probably needs some tweaking and updating but it'll do for a start.

quote:

My Full Process:

1. Record footage using the emulator's AVI recording function, or OBS/Shadowplay/FRAPS/Hypercam 2 if it has none/a crappy one.

2. Use AvsPmod to take screenshots, using AviSynth to resize/crop where appropriate. Trim functions are useful for making GIFs (I use "Save Image Sequence" in a separate folder and drop all the images in GIF Movie Gear, though GifCam and GoonCam are much better alternatives these days since they're actually free) and for making supplemental videos (after I resize to over 720p because Youtube is finicky as hell) to stick into MeGUI.

3. Use Irfanview to rename all my images to 001, 002, 003, etc. Also to convert PNGs to JPGs if the files are large (which they usually are for 3D games). If you're gonna have a mix of animated GIFs and JPGs, I recommend renaming everything to a separate folder, sorting that folder by file type, then selecting all PNGs only and convert them to JPG in your output folder, then move the GIFs manually.

4. Write my update in Notepad ++ with images open in Windows Photo Viewer or Irfanview (which will play animated GIFs), using placeholders for images and characters. [001] for image one, [char1] for Character 1, and so on. If you have characters with multiple faces, FaceCopy may be more convenient and less of a headache to use for characters instead. I also throw in music and video links where appropriate. Notepad's also fine, but Notepad ++ lets me create and use macros to save a bit of time (I set Ctrl/Shift + I to add italic tags, for instance).

5. Upload everything to LPix using ShareX.

6. Save the Rightload links in a different text file, then use Admiral H. Curtiss's wonderful RightloadUrlAutoReplace to do the tedious work of copying and pasting images for me. It's a great idea to keep your character portrait links in this same text file so they get automatically replaced every time you do an update

7. Preview in my topic (Right click - Paste as Plain Text will avoid stuff like auto-adding image and url tags, which can be handy as hell) to make sure everything looks good. When I'm happy, I post.

Things may change based on stuff like OS, software preferences, type of game LPed, and so on. Should be a good starting point, at least.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I've toyed with the idea of Let's Playing Breath of the Wild, and after a couple attempts realized that the game speaks better for itself than I could really do, so I decided to simply do no-commentary, instead letting the atmosphere of the game itself and Link's actions be its own commentary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUBcjJaTKAc

Something I'm probably going to do on Youtube regardless, but I'm curious if this would fly here and with this game in particular, and also kinda curious on no-commentary in general since it kinda goes into Long Play territory, which is its own thing, though we've had some creative no-commentary LPs before. If it won't fit this forum then I'll leave it off.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! Actually decided I'm going to keep it off-site anyway (and it'll probably be abandoned anyway at some point, knowing me). Still, something good to know next time something like this pops up around here.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Color Printer posted:

I probably won't post this for a while because I'd like to get the next update for my other LP out soon after dealing with a bunch of technical issues, but I had a really stupid idea that I have to act on because I'm an idiot:

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=147362

Do you think I should post more of the story even though either way I'm cutting most of it out? Does it look okay? I'm more than willing to change stuff.

The way you handled the story stuff in the update is fine. My only suggestion would be to add some screenshots for the bosses for those not watching the videos, though considering how trivial they are so far you'd probably only need a couple.

Otherwise, looks fine to me! Looking forward to seeing the thread!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Do these look fine? Are they too large, either in width or file size? Anything obvious I'm forgetting?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Thanks for the feedback! Hope to have something this weekend, but it may be awhile since I'm busier and more exhausted than usual.

Also, everyone join the Discord as it's cool and good and full of cool and good people.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If you're concerned, give it a bump. I don't mind people bumping a thread to keep it out of archives if it's your LP or some sort of megathread or whatever, just as long as you don't get carried away bumping a thread that hasn't been updated in like six months or whatever,

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Archiving was accidentally turned off for awhile, it was how I was able to revive an LP that hadn't had posts in seven months. That's since been fixed.

Mods can't unarchive threads, sadly.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Considering how crap some games' official translations are, unofficial ones shouldn't be a problem. Go for it!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The way SA embeds MP4s is weird since it was a temp hackjob that probably won't be fixed until we move to Xenforo.

It'll autoplay anything that comes from Imgur or Gfycat, but anywhere else that hosts MP4s will not autoplay. My advice is to avoid using those sites and use other MP4 hosts (the two I use regularly are Nya.is and Mixtape.moe) so that your MP4s won't autoplay. Hopefully after the forums move and we get proper MP4 support we'll have better solutions.

Also, it's not worth using WebM since it's just a less compatible form of MP4 anyway.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I went ahead and added it to the Q&A in the OP.

JordanKai posted:

: How long can a thread go without posts before it falls into the forum archives?

: Two months. If you intend to continue a LP you haven't updated in awhile, make sure to post before two months expire, even if to say something to the effect of "Sorry, I'll get back to this soon" so that it doesn't fall into the forum archives. Once a thread falls into the forum archives, it cannot be brought back out and you'll have to start a new thread over.

Let me know if you think it needs tweaking or whatever.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Asterisk is fine with me. I've done LPs where I did portraits for every single NPC and it ate up so much time and drove me crazy enough that I almost abandoned the two LPs I put all that effort in.

You may want to come up with a better-looking generic portrait, but I do think it's a better time and sanity investment to just have a giant catch-all for general minor NPCs than to make portraits for every single NPC you encounter.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Putty posted:

I had the idea to start putting sponsored content in my LPs, but disguise them as screamers so people get scared rather than think I'm a shill. Thoughts?

I see no flaws whatsoever with this plan.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

achtungnight posted:

Just watch out for all the hints of jerkiness still on the forums if you want to avoid them. One major example- if you don't pick a genre label for your thread you end up with "poo poo Post". You may not want that designation, or if you're like me and ended up with it unknowingly, you may decide it's all about irony and defying labels. :)

Good luck.

And if you do gently caress that part up, you can always post a request here, in the Discord, or PM Fedule or me to change the thread tag.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

LPs are distinct enough that there can be multiple LPs of the same game running at the same time. Knock yourself out.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Stay out of my fanfiction folder.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

ZiegeDame posted:

Just so I'm clear here, this would entail recording a mission, uploading it to youtube, then re-recording the mission with the sound turned off if the first video gets claimed. Or just doing two takes every time a licensed song comes up.

Couldn't you manually silence the audio of the copyrighted parts? Even if you're recording commentary while playing it should be in a separate recording from the game's audio anyway. Just record pure gameplay to learn which parts to silence.

Not that this isn't all incredibly dumb but, well, welcome to Youtube!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Screw MIDIs, hum and sing the music yourself.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

All that said, there's nothing stopping you from making, say, Final Fantasy 1 as a video LP or Super Mario Bros. as a SSLP. They're just going to take more effort to make worth watching/reading and you might restrict your potential audience a bit. If you're confident enough and have a good idea on how to keep things interesting, you could make any format work with any game. It might just take a lot more effort than you should reasonably spend on a LP.

Otherwise, the above posts are good guidelines. Just don't feel comstricted by those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

I had a good one, but I lost it. gently caress

Should've stickied it!