Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.

Fish Noise posted:

I recently mentioned to Sethur that I like to think that the relaxation on repeat LPs was at least partially the result of his Psychonauts LP causing three, possibly more, subsequent attempts to get crushed in the Sandcastle.

To be fair, that would have been a difficult act to follow and I pity anyone who tried.

I think the old "reservation/one LP per game" thing was from before LP was a subforum, when the LP threads were just posted in the main Games forum. As it became more popular, the forum started getting saturated with LP threads, which is why they eventually broke off into a subforum. There's also a general "one thread per topic" rule across the forums that's excepted in LP specifically because multiple LPs of the same game are allowed, so it was either "one LP per game" or "everyone posts their LP in one thread and nobody can follow any of them". Admittedly, I wasn't a member back then and could only read when the paywall was down, so I'm hardly an insider. But it's neat to look back and see how LP has evolved on the forum while it grew in popularity elsewhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Question about the Archives, are we basically adding in every single thread that is finished on SA, or is it a certain type? I am asking because my current Alice LP is far, far more conversational and casual than my previous ones (the current episode is half Miz Kriss and I talking about anime) and while I am having a lot of fun posting it I don't want to poo poo up the Archives if it's more designed for more game-focused commentary.

If you complete the LP and want it to be archived, it qualifies. I think I've only ever heard of baldurk turning down one applicant, and only because there were already four other LPs of the same game on the archive. And I think he may have gone on and archived it anyway.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Magicpokey posted:

Hey everybody. I am sure none of you remember me, but I started a SSLP of an old Sega Master System game called Kenseiden last year. The LP died because my life upturned itself (including spending time in the hospital twice for pneumonia complicated by neurological problems). I still think the game is worthy of an LP, and I hate leaving something unfinished. But I am not sure of the protocol here. It was my first LP, I would like to finish it, but I do not know how to go about it. Should I just try to revive the old thread? Should I start a new thread? (and if so, should I re-post the old updates or start over?) or should I just forget the whole idea?

Assuming that the old thread has been archived, you can't revive it. Generally, you'd link to the old thread for the people who have archive access and want to see it, but repost the updates in the SSLP Test Poster and link to those from the OP, then resume from there with new updates as you normally would.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I've got a recording device that works great and am finally going to do my LP of Dog's Life on PS2 - here's the first vid - how's the commentary? If it is far too low to hear over the game then I'll rerecord it and try to rebalance it, but if it is loud enough then I can just rebalance from video 2 onwards.

I could barely tell you were talking sometimes. I think rerecording would be a good idea, and if you can, try to record your commentary to a separate audio track so you can do the balancing afterward.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

krisslanza posted:

Akiba's Trip: Undead & Undressed

The sound balance is pretty bad - I can barely hear you over the game audio. I'd recommend dropping the music level in the options a bit, at least, but you can probably get away with just lowering the game audio in post or raising your own voice level.

EDIT: The first combat just started and I can't hear you at all.

EDIT 2: Please don't do data management during an LP video. This isn't a stream and you can edit out stuff that doesn't need to be there, or just wait until you're done recording to delete your old saves.

EDIT 3: "We don't have access to the map." It's in the lower right.

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Jan 5, 2017

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Let's also not forget the people who have trouble reading text - the usual "as long as it takes me, a person proficient at reading, to read the line twice" may not be long enough for many would-be viewers, and the usual suggestion of "pause if it takes you longer to read" works fine if there's only a screen or two of text every so often, but dialogue-heavy videos would be a real pain to watch that way - which will have most of those viewers turning to a video where the text is read to them. There are numerous stories online of people who learned English from games like King's Quest III, just to name an example of a game I've heard in that context. LPs could work the same way. While it would be significantly more work, I've been thinking about the possibility of doing a dual-audio LP, posting a full-reading version alongside one that cuts out the reading and just has commentary, to make my LPs more accessible.

As for cases where it's worked, there are LPers on Youtube who manage to produce some very diverse, character-appropriate voices. Unfortunately, they also play most of the games blind, so they don't have an idea what the characters should sound like and end up either changing the voices as they go or spending a lot of video time asking the audience what voices they should use. Audience engagement thumbs-up, I guess. I watch a lot of blind Undertale LPs, so I've heard just about everything.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Kanfy posted:

There was also Dekiru Otoko no Moto Life which had the OP translating to English from the Chinese localization of a Japanese game.

I followed both that and the same author's Sigma Harmonics, which was a really neat story with a combat system that looked interesting, but likely very confusing. The thread got to play along a bit and speculate on the solutions to the mysteries.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Youtube doesn't have an option for "The entity making the claim does not actually hold the copyright for the content," so there's a giant hole in their dispute mechanism. I don't know whether it's because nobody at Google thought anyone would ever file a false claim, or because they're not willing to handle the legal issues that would open up.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

senrath posted:

I'm not a lawyer so I might be completely wrong here, but as far as I'm aware you're supposed to get in trouble for false claims, but in order to get in trouble you have to be sued by someone you made a false claim against.

It's a bit worse than that on Youtube, since most of the claims are from the automated system. It's got no option to say "This is a false positive and isn't the content you matched it to," so you have to make a statement under penalty of law that you own the content even if you don't long before any claimant would be making a legal statement one way or the other.

Manual claims are, according to copyright law, made under penalty of perjury. I don't think that's something they have to be sued for, since it's a criminal offense, but the victim would have to get the legal system involved, and it's probably going to be tough to find a prosecutor willing to take that up.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

LawlessPlay posted:

It's not that I'm chasing day one lp's just for the sake of a lp. Every game I've played is because I really wanted to play it and I figured I might as well record it.

In my experience, this is probably the least awful among the very worst reasons to do an LP. There are few games that are entertaining to simply watch someone play, and fewer still that are more entertaining to watch than to play. In the time someone spends watching you have fun, they could go play the game and have their own fun. What the LP loses in interactivity (i.e. the "game" part of the video game), it needs to make up in some other quality that your commentary adds. That can be pure entertainment, if you're entertaining enough on your own merits (this is the Game Grumps style, where the game tends to be there just to give the viewers something to watch while the players talk about random garbage); information that's not necessarily present in the game, if you know either the game or its subject well enough to offer that insight (see, for example, Geop's Assassin's Creed LP and the history lessons therein); advice to players, if you have enough of it to offer. The thing I've noticed while LPing is that I tend to play games very differently when I'm recording them to show off as opposed to when I'm only enjoying them myself. I try to vary play techniques rather than sticking with what I know works. I explore things more thoroughly, even if I know it will require me to edit out the boring parts later. I pause for long periods when I know I'm going to want to say something. I might even play through parts of the game multiple times because I need to record the results of the various choices.

Blind LPs have their niche, but as has been said, you need to be able to approach the game for LP value up front, without knowing anything about it. That takes some skills that not everyone has, a devoted following that can find "Let me grab the walkthrough AGAIN" amusing as a running gag, or careful preparation. Likely all three. There's a pretty healthy market for "Let's Try" videos where someone spends a certain period of time playing the game, then stops recording and finishes it on their own time if they want to, which is considerably easier because you don't need to finish the game or stretch anything. You might give that a try.

Basically, I think what you're trying to do is a flawed goal from the start, so your best bet is to aim for something easier, develop skills, find a style that works, and then re-evaluate whether you want to try doing what you've been trying, or just keep working the new way. There's nothing that says you can't just keep plugging away at blind LPs, but there's also nothing that says people are going to like them, or that you're going to improve much that way.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

ZiegeDame posted:

What would be the best way to do a Saints Row LP without getting copyright claimed into oblivion? The simplest answer would be to just turn the music volume all the way down, but is there any way to know which parts I'd need to do that for and which songs I can get away with before recording. Some of the best parts of the later games come from the music, and I'd rather not take that away unless I have to. Like, I know there's no drat way I can keep in Power from the Penthouse assault in 3, but I'd like to keep the sing-along parts in at least.

Youtube actually has a page where you can look up the copyright policies for specific songs before uploading, although the only way I know of to find the link is to get a copyright claim. Here's the page so you don't have to go that far.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Or you could get REALLY fancy and get a clean copy of the offending music, invert it, and mix with the original track to cancel out the music while leaving everything else fairly intact. But that's probably more work than you really want to do.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

al-azad posted:

I have no idea how to present an interactive fiction game so I'm shooting to make it as readable as possible, editing the game text and player input together in a way that reads smoothly. This isn't a full content post just an example of the style I'm going for. If anyone has suggestions for a better way I'm all ears.

It's pretty typical for this type of game to let the thread choose what to do, and essentially take the role of providing hints when the audience is collectively stuck and commentary when appropriate. It's a neat way to do things, because other people will generally find things you didn't know about, and if you know the game inside and out, you can keep backup saves when an irrevocable error is made, so you can steer things back to the right path when everyone's had a chance to see why they messed up. (I once had two parallel game saves going, one where I hadn't made the wrong choice, so I could just switch to that one when it became clear why the situation was hopeless at the end of the game.) The presentation works well and would still function in the interactive style.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I always feel like I have to weigh in on discussions like this to provide the opposite perspective - a key question to ask is whether you're doing LPs because you enjoy doing LPs, or because you want other people to enjoy them. They're not mutually exclusive goals, of course, but which one is your driving motivation? A somewhat tongue-in-cheek piece of advice I tend to give people who want to break into the hobby is to do a complete LP and never show it to anyone, just to see whether they fully grasp the amount of work that will be involved without feeling any pressure to finish if they find it to be too much. It's also an exercise in determining whether they really enjoy the process of recording a game and making videos, or whether they just want people to praise them for it. I suspect that there are very few people who would do LPs if they got no responses at all, but if you enjoy them for their own sake, then the lack of interaction isn't a problem. Some games just don't provide much room for feedback, and some videos don't leave people with much to say. As long as you enjoy what you do and consider thread interaction/Youtube comments as a bonus on top of that, then everything should be good.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Alexeythegreat posted:

I know there have been instances of people deleting their LPs after years because they couldn't stand them anymore.
Has there ever been a case of someone redoing an LP of the same game they LPd ages ago because they felt the quality was not up to par? Asking for a friend

I'm redoing the Gobliiins games right now, in fact. Quality is only one of the reasons, but it's a big one.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'd probably do this in Avisynth with the Subtitle filter, writing a function to overlay all the text onto a background image and updating as needed. I could grab a screencap from the video if need be, or just stick it at the end of video updates. But that's me and my obsession with finding new ways to use Avisynth to make my LPs simpler.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

If I've got the time to record, I don't usually have time to do much else. Setting up the recording equipment I need usually is the routine, and if I'm doing voice work, turning off the noise-making devices in my room and silencing my phones.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Leal posted:

What I know about Undertale fans is that they made Markiplier stop doing his LP of it because they kept harassing him over "playing the game wrong".

He eventually livestreamed the rest of the game with a friend.

If you really want to do a blind VLP, the best thing to do is to record the entire playthrough in advance and post it later, sad to say. Also, don't let anyone know you're playing Undertale until you feel like you've gotten everything you want out of the game and you're ready to be told all the things you missed. That's the only way I managed to get through it.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

Oh, that's a shame I guess. It really wouldn't be possible for Tea and me given our schedules.

Do you mean streaming, or recording the whole thing in advance? You can probably survive posting the videos on the same schedule you've been doing for Castlevania if you have to. I'm paranoid enough that if I've heard people talk about a game, I assume that the moment I let slip that I'm interested in playing it, someone will tell me all the things that will ruin my enjoyment of the game on my terms. I never got anywhere in Xenoblade Chronicles for exactly that reason, and I'm still pissed off about it.

Undertale's the type of game where you'll find something new every time you play or watch someone else play. Some people don't seem to be capable of letting anyone do that at their own pace. You will absolutely get a ton of "Hey, now that you've seen something that casually hinted at the existence of this element, here's the complete wiki entry for it" and another ton of "You forgot to do X, now you're missing an entire section of the way I like to play the game" and a whole lot of "By the way, if you did this thing this way, here's what would happen" that people won't consider "spoilers" through some logic I'll never fathom. Even just having a co-commentator will probably fundamentally change your experience. That may be exactly what you want. I'm probably putting the game on a pedestal it doesn't deserve. But I think if there's a game where playing without outside influence is vital to the experience, Undertale is that game.

I'd love to see your blind playthrough - I've even watched Pewdiepie and Darksydephil play through the game because it's that much fun to see people play it for the first time. But I also watched Markiplier abandon the game for a long time due to viewer backlash (and when he did resume, basically said "screw it, I'll just let the chat steer me through the rest of the game"), and put off playing the game myself for months after it came out because I was sick of hearing about it before I'd even added it to my Steam account. In the end, don't let me talk you out of doing something you want to do the way you want to do it. Just be aware of what people are likely to say when you do.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

GarrBear posted:

Yeah, I don't want to detract much from the charm of the game so I set my volume a little low, but on playback you're right, my bumbling British voice is too quiet. If no-one else has any objections, I'll re-record the first bit with louder vocals and go live probably later on today.

Please tell me you're recording in such a fashion that your own vocals are separate from the game audio so you can just boost the volume when you mix them together.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Then again, most of the big personalities in Youtube LP nowadays just record their games and ramble like they're streaming, then hand the footage to someone else to edit, which seems to consist mainly of adding goofy music and subtitles when needed and cutting only what they absolutely can't put on the Internet.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

My biggest regret is that I leaned so heavily on emulating other people's styles early on. Most of my early LPs were picking up series that other people had stopped, so it made sense to do my follow-ups in the same style. It worked out, and I got to try things I probably never would have dabbled in on my own, but it was a long time before I really developed a style of my own. I tried way too hard to be funny, used a lot of jokes that I wish in retrospect I hadn't, and wanted to fit in when I don't think I really understood the community. I don't think any of that has changed, honestly, but I'm a lot more comfortable with the process. I'm finally using scripts and organizing my files to streamline everything I do, so I can focus more on the content and let the technical aspects handle themselves.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Avisynth is highly recommendable if you program in C professionally or as a hobby, and you're more comfortable thinking of clips and edits in terms of variables and functions. I can't possibly be the only person who does that and also edits video. But for everyone else, it's probably not very good.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I tend to be pretty dry in my videos, I think, so I don't usually think of entertainment in terms of my own reactions. I do sometimes indulge in playing around a bit, though, and I always love revisiting my clumsy but still impressive redub bonus video for Mask of Eternity from when I was still learning Avisynth.

As for regular episodes with no frills or special effects, my favorite probably isn't the part of Flight of the Amazon Queen with my favorite character, but I still love Sharon.

And I still have to brag about the time I found the long-lost Easter egg in Torin's Passage.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I had issues with subtitling as well, when I started using them. I think you really have to get into the habit of leaving a bit of dead air intentionally for subtitles, whether you plan to use them or not. Thinking ahead and planning when you think you'll have something relevant to say is extremely helpful, but at worst, you leave a bit of a gap every time something interesting happens and then don't say anything. It gives the audience a bit of thinking time.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I saw a request for Control recently and got the hankering to play through it again, with the added level of detail that I always get when I Let's Play a game instead of just playing it. However, there's so much detail in the game that's easy to miss or forget about that I don't want to spend too much time in the videos reading documents, so I'm putting in a bit of extra work to present the documents in what will hopefully be a more accessible format. While this was mostly a test to see whether I could find a workflow I can live with and get the presentation I want, I'm interested in any kind of feedback on the format, and particularly, if moderators have an issue with the spoiler policy. This is a very unique game with regard to black bars across text, so I want to account for that and not find myself running a thread with a trail of probations in its wake.

Baby, baby, baby, yeah. Let's [REDACTED] Control

Control is a game from Remedy Entertainment, the developers of Alan Wake and Quantum Break, and carries on their proud tradition of strange, cinematic games where anything can happen. In this game, we play as Jesse Faden, an ordinary girl only in the sense that she comes from a town named Ordinary, as she searches the offices of the Federal Bureau of Control for information about what happened to her brother, and possibly also what happened to her. It's not easy, though, because the FBC is essentially the SCP Wiki brought to life. It's an organization dedicated to rounding up and containing supernatural objects, and covering up the existence of the supernatural in the outside world, while searching for any use they can get from the affected objects. We get to explore the expansive world from this perspective, while fighting a malevolent resonance that infects anyone who hears its repetitive chant.

The game has a pretty solid atmosphere and sense of humor, including redactions. LOTS of redactions. The word that describes this is redacted. Most of the insight into the story and background comes from documents that we'll find lying around, many of which are covered in black bars. I plan to screenshot and transcribe them all, including my best guess as to the contents of the redacted portions, but it's all speculation. I'll also explore everything I can and try to help you, the viewer, put together the pieces of each puzzle. Let's see whether we can plumb the depths of the FBC's mysteries together.

Given the heavy emphasis on redactions, I expect a good deal of the commentary in the thread to lean on spoilers for humorous purposes. As such, I request that the moderators relax the "spoiler tags for spoilers only" rule in these cases. However, that will admittedly make it difficult to determine whether there are actual spoilers behind the black bars, so please try to avoid discussing anything that hasn't been been explained in the videos, especially things that will appear later in the game. If you must draw connections between things that we've seen to foreshadow things that we haven't, please make it clear that the spoiler bars are actual spoilers rather than a redaction joke. We don't need to spill the beans that (actual spoiler) Ahti the janitor is some kind of ancient god communing with the forces at work in the Oldest House just because someone thought they were going to see an innocent punchline.

Join me in Game Informer's top game of 2019, and the game that contains the Best Scene of 2019, which is definitely the second best scene in this game.

Part 1: The Federal Bureau of Control Polsy Youtube Documents

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

yamiaainferno posted:

Oh Hell Yeah. When I heard about control I was super excited. I love SCP Wiki and was super bummed to see that no one had done an LP of it. The video seems good, though kind of dark in parts. Like, when you were reading the "no modern technology" sign, it looked like you were just staring at a black wall on my screen. May want to crank up the brightness, at least in dark sections.

I did consider that, but the brightness setting in the menu refers to three symbols and I only ever saw two, even when I cranked the brightness up to full. I'll see what happens if I adjust it in post for this video, and bump it up a bit in the game options. It shouldn't be THAT dark, though. It looks like the encoding process may have made the video darker than it was, comparing the same frame each step of the way.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I'm pretty sure the game just does that for that dialogue. I'll take another look at the raw video. One thing I keep meaning to do is move the Control installation files from my USB drive back to system memory while doing the LP. That might help some of the load times and texture loading issues.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

OddHaberdasher posted:

Third Question: At times there are questions asked of the player (true/false, yes/no style questions). However, these questions, depending on the answer, lead to further questions (e.g. Answering 'yes' to Q1 leads to Q2A, while answering no leads to Q2B). Is there a polling site or something I could link to that would allow such a structure, or should I just set each question to a vote individually?

I've been thinking a bit about this, mostly for potential future projects, and I think my approach would be to ask some more general questions in the thread and apply those answers to the in-game situation. Obviously, it has to be tailored to the specific situation, but a trolley problem-style moral question or an overall motivation that the character should have might lead to a particular set of answers without giving away too much about what's going to happen or slowing things down while you collect the specific answers you're looking for. I've got an upcoming decision that I plan to break down into three questions that sound like morality questions, but it's just going to choose from a set of upgrades.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I've been posting all of my videos to my Patreon a few days before they go public - the "early access" is pretty thin, but I feel like it's a nice gesture for the two people who managed to figure out that it exists and make pledges that I never collect because the implications of accepting money are more than I want to handle. I don't intend to create any Patreon-exclusive content, and if I did, I wouldn't talk about it here. From the perspective of someone who does want to make money from their Patreon, some kind of reward is not only reasonable, but almost required - anything that provides benefit to the people who support you without incurring any extra cost just makes sense. I just wouldn't want anyone who doesn't pay to feel like they're getting a lesser experience. So I'd avoid letting patrons influence the LP more than non-patrons, such as through patron-only voting, but some reasonable degree of early access to videos makes sense while keeping in the spirit of what the forum is about. Patron-exclusive LPs that aren't advertised on the forum can be great rewards for people who really like the content and want even more. Maybe some exclusive behind-the-scenes stuff. Discord rewards can be a big plus. And, of course, there's always the shout-outs at the end of the video. And just before I hit post, it occurs to me that some LPers let patrons choose which game they're going to play next, or request specific games. As long as the full playthrough is then equally available to everyone, I can't imagine any non-patrons having more of a problem with that than with the LPer choosing games with no input at all.

And I know I'm not the only person here who tends to record multiple videos in batches and then spread out posting them due to schedule constraints with work and other responsibilities, and while there are drawbacks, nobody's ever suggested that "that's a good point, but the next three videos are already in the can, so it will be fixed after that" is against the rules, so I don't see why filtering some number of updates through Patreon first would be any different.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I make videos because I enjoy making videos. People watching them is a nice bonus for me. I think, if making the videos is not reward enough, then maybe people shouldn't make them. Don't get too involved in a hobby you don't enjoy, and if you're already involved and don't enjoy it, stop doing it. When you're doing something you really enjoy, you can ignore the opinions of other people and just do it. And that's how I handle having low engagement numbers.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I've made food for parties that hasn't been touched. Then I take it home, and hey, I've got a ton of some of my favorite food and absolutely no reason not to eat it all myself. Sometimes, I rewatch some of my highest-effort videos just to enjoy the spectacle all over again and remember the time when I didn't know how to do chromakey with sprite animations. It's absolutely wonderful to have an audience, no doubt. But the best LPs you'll ever do are the ones you'd enjoy even if nobody ever watches them but you. For me, the way I play a game for an LP is very different from the way I play just for fun, and I love that experience.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Make a video you would want to watch if someone else made it. Everything else is just details. You're never going to please everyone, so make sure you're part of your target audience.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I can't be the only one thinking about Neil Cicierega, can I?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

decided to make the trash fire even worse by putting out near-weekly statements of enraged hubris basically going "WHY DO YOU TASTELESS PLEBS NOT LIKE MY AWESOME VIDEO GAME?!"

And let's not forget that the entire game was itself originally an enraged statement of hubris. "WHY DON'T THE TASTELESS PLEBS LIKE MY LAST HORRIBLY BUGGY VIDEO GAME?"

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I still use Aegisub and don't have any problems with it even though it hasn't updated in ages. I tried switching to a more recent program not long ago, but I couldn't get it to work at all. Granted, I'm using Avisynth, so once I make the subtitle file, I add the subs to the video with a single line, and that's easy for me. Your mileage may vary.

I do tend to use the Avisynth Subtitle filter for certain things, though. When I have a repeated subtitle that just needs a number changed periodically, or if I'm placing a subtitle over a transition, I find it much easier to write an Avisynth function to do that. It's usually pretty smooth from there. A lot of typing, but when you can copy and paste the line and just change a few details, it's easier than it sounds.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I still use Rightload (I know), and I copy the list of URLs once I've uploaded the images and paste it into a text file. I need to change the http into https in each one anyway, and I'm usually then going to add some text and paste it into the test poster. I grab the edit URL from that and save it at the top of the file, in case I need to edit it later.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

It doesn't really get bad until people start asking you for technical support for game bugs, instructions for how to do things that are tutorialized in the game and also described in the manual, and probably worst of all, asking you to provide walkthroughs of the things you do in the videos they're watching. Most questions about the videos can be answered by watching the videos. And they come in many languages. I think Google Translate has a file on how many languages I've asked it to translate "Press the button" into. Oh, and if there's a woman in any of the videos, there will be comments with timestamps to when the camera zooms in on parts of them.

Requests for me to LP other games in the series trailed off ages ago by comparison. Which is kind of funny, because I do plan to do that. Eventually.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I think the thing you need to ask yourself is: Why are you doing this? I don't mean it to suggest that you should stop, but as a serious question you don't appear to have asked yourself. What are you hoping to accomplish? What is your purpose for streaming and recording yourself and your gameplay in this way? It doesn't have to be profound. "Because it's fun" is a good enough reason, if that's your answer. But really search your motives. Are you trying to become popular and gain a big following, or influence? Do you want to have an audience to interact with? Do you want to create a unique perspective on the games you stream? Do you want to draw attention to less-known games and show something novel to people who might not be aware of it? Do you want to show off games that you love and think deserve more interest? These are almost all admirable and meaningful goals, but they all demand different approaches and suggest different improvements to your setup. I clicked on a few random parts of your Ni no Kuni video and didn't really see any attempt to reach any of those goals. I'm going to be very harsh: I didn't think it was particularly entertaining. I saw a few attempts at humor that didn't land for me, and no benefit to having your face on the screen and having to tell the viewers when your HP was getting low because you were covering it. I didn't feel like your commentary, what little there was, added much to the experience. That may not be consistent throughout the two-hour-long video, but since you're asking for advice here, I suspect that it is. That's the bad news. The good news is that I don't think there's anything objectively wrong with any of it. It's not very good, but it's certainly not especially bad. It just doesn't offer anything that grabs my attention and makes me want to watch two hours of it when I could watch anything I choose. If I were more interested in the game, I might play it in the background while doing something else.

As it is, I don't think you'll find the audience you want for your particular content here. I could be wrong - there are people here who will watch some of the most surprising things - but I think a thread featuring the video I saw will mostly lead people to ask "Why are you posting this here? What is this thread doing other than hosting links to your videos? Why is this one video so long? Where are the breaks for us to discuss the game, and possibly feed information back to you for upcoming videos?" I've watched and enjoyed threads composed of streamed videos, but usually by people who have been posting LPs here for some time, established a rapport, and perhaps most importantly, work in groups that tend to generate entertaining commentary. When I choose a game to play for a thread, I always ask myself why. Why should people watch me play this game? What about this game, or this playthrough, will be something that only I can offer, or something that's worth having more of out there? Sometimes, that means changing my format, or searching for commentary partners, or playing the game in an unusual way. Sometimes, it leads to me deciding not to record that game, because I don't have a reason to. And above all, I enjoy it. If I stop enjoying it, then it's time to abandon it or take a break to recharge.

So, with that in mind, ask yourself: Why are you doing this? And let your answer inform your process. Are you just doing it to have fun? Are you having as much fun as you'd like? If not, think about ways to make the process more fun for yourself, and don't worry too much about what viewers will want. If the livestream format is that important to you, maybe you would work well with a co-commentator. Sometimes, two or three people who can just have fun together can make an LP work. (Example: A fair majority of Game Grumps videos.) Are you looking for more viewers? Then you'll probably need to cater to algorithms and do a bunch of things that will really make people tell you not to post here. Is it something about the games you play? Then think about what it is about those games that makes you want to stream them and bring that to the streams. It may mean being more selective about the games you play - perhaps RPGs don't work well with your style, and you'd get better results with a more action-heavy game. Maybe you'd do better with games you're more familiar with. There's also always the Let's Stream thread, where you can announce streams and let people come to them if they're interested. That might get you some viewers without needing to worry about what will make a good thread or who will want to watch your videos.

In summary, I think you're going to be the driver of any improvement you want to make, and it will depend on what you think needs to improve. I hope that's helpful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I tend to respond with giant paragraphs whenever there are opinions floating around. My opinions tend to be different from most of the ones I hear from other people, so I feel obligated to provide them and support them with reasonable arguments, which you might imagine is difficult when, as I say, the opinions I'm defending are so far from the majority opinion already and most people like to stick to what they already believe. I find that, when people really think about things from my point of view, they find that I've got the better take on the subject, but humans are notorious for trusting the status quo over anything new, however reasonable it may be. It also helps that I often agree with the majority in many important respects while still seeing a lot of room for nuanced disagreement, like enjoying aspects of something that's universally considered garbage, or hating some aspect of a beloved thing so fundamentally that it ruins the entire thing for me. The more I see contrary points of view, the more compelled I feel to provide an extended explanation and defense of my opinion, even before anyone steps in to disagree directly. I have to assume that most people just skip the whole thing, but I also often get some thoughtful responses, and that makes it all worth it.

And that's without even bringing up FFXIII directly. I played the game, read all of the encyclopedia of background information, and have many opinions as a result. As long as I know the thread's there, there will be at least some discussion.