Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I'm considering starting my first stab at running an LP of my own, and have an organizational question. It's going to be SS based. Is it generally preferred to keep the first post just an introduction and table of contents and reserve the immediate next post in the thread for the first proper update, or combine them for the first post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Sounds good. I'm running my first post and actual first update through the test site now.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Test post for a planned Anno 2070 LP. I'm intending to do this LP for absolute beginners, given how dense and opaque Anno games are, so I'm trying to be both completely informative and also a bit narrative.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Your Everyday NEET posted:

What happened if your LP is so obscure/unpopular that no one put a vote?

Ask a few friends with no context or explanation and go with that. Worked for me a few times!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Odd Wilson posted:

Apparently, I'm just hitting both without a care

I managed to do this once in my Star Trek Online LP because I accurately predicted how goons would vote. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
If it's the game I'm thinking of, the pedophilia subplot might raise a lot of hackles, but this subforum's generally decently behaved as long as you're careful about framing it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
3 LPs done, 1 taken over from someone else, 1 in progress.

And exactly one of those five hadn't already been LP'd by someone else.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Mix. posted:

how do you successfully fight the urge to not pull the trigger on starting a new LP until you're close to the end of the one you already have going

By reminding myself how much work one LP is and how much less time I'd have for fun stuff if I have two running. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TeeQueue posted:

I'm not LPing a live service game. :colbert:

This is a big part of why when I LP'd an MMO, I identified a clear point to end the LP rather than making an open-ended commitment.

I have finished every LP I've started to date, but that experience thoroughly disabused me of every LPing another game when I'm not feeling confident that the game's received all the DLC it ever will.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Carbon dioxide posted:

I was considering an LP of a pokemon romhack last year. Asked for advice in the Discord and people were like "Don't LP pokemon you're gonna hate yourself for it" so I didn't.

Pokemon LPs have a bit of a reputation for people getting weird about them. They were even outright banned for a while.

If you really want to do it, go ahead, but you should strongly consider whether you want any audience participation or not.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arist posted:

It was over ten years ago, I think during slowbeef's tenure, and I don't think they were outright banned, you just needed to get permission. I think the rationale was that they were often low-effort and anyone who cared enough to get permission generally put in the effort.

IIRC, a goon LPing one of the games - I think Mystery Dungeon, the roguelike spinoff? - was going through some serious mental poo poo that goons were egging on or stalking, and it was coming across in the LP, so slowbeef decreed a ban or at least by-permission-only rule for Pokemon LPs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

nine-gear crow posted:

How he didn't get perma'd for that one and caught one for something else relatively innocuous instead I'll never loving know.

I think everyone realized that Delphi suffered from a very severe mental disorder or was massively on the spectrum in some form, and so people were being uncommonly patient with him. His perma was more a lifetime achievement award.

That being said...

https://i.imgur.com/ZJ0kTnP.mp4

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

mycelia posted:

I'm aware that I'm writing here, having not scrolled back even a little bit to find my answer, and for that I accept my due punishment for laziness...But for a general SSLP, what's a reasonable (non-animated) screenshot dimension? I'll worry about animations when I get there, but I'm looking for my first-ever LP, and for now I'm only worried about static screenshots.

Hwurmp posted:

900px wide if you intend to put it up on the LP Archive someday

I use 1024px for mine, as I think 900px is too small to be legible for most PC games.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Arist posted:

900 pixels wide isn't a guideline for the Archive, it's the literal maximum; anything wider than that will get resized down, iirc.

Yeah, I just gave up ever having my LPs in the Archive.

I think the Archive is set up to work very well for video LPs and LPs of games on handhelds and old consoles, but I don't think it suits modern PC games and how dense and information-filled the screens tend to be.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://i.imgur.com/ZJ0kTnP.mp4

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Falconier111 posted:

I think this falls under this thread's aegis too? I think somebody asked for this exact thing in this thread a while back, so I'll use that as an excuse. I'll scrub the post if asked.

Anyway, I just finished a largely complete guide for making screenshot LPs, everything from general philosophy down to automating portrait insertion and how to pick a thread icon. I'd really like as many eyes on it as possible to see what I missed and what needs improvement.

My two cents:

On discussing image resolution/screenshot size, the size I use as a default is 1024x576. Example:

I play PC games that have decently complex UIs and don't care about the archive, as I think the archive's size restrictions are much more catered to recording mobile games, and this is the size I arrived at in discussion with my first proper LP thread about what felt large enough to make the UI legible while being small enough to load well on devices.

I would also note that as the one running a thread, it's perfectly okay to close a thread at times if you want a particularly rambunctious thread to calm down a bit. Some threads can get very, very feisty and prospective LPers should remember that they have the 'everyone takes a time out' button for their own thread and sometimes it's worth using.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Feb 2, 2024

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Falconier111 posted:

Would it be possible to type or dig up the reasoning that went into that specific screenshot size so I can include it as a fully-developed counterpoint?

In my first solo LP, Civilization: Beyond Earth, I started with 1018x572 as a result of some % resizing of the original screenshots (I forget the original size and how much I reduced it by), and after the first proper update a goon said they thought the screenshots were too small:

tithin posted:

I'm finding these screenshots to be a little small, otherwise good update.

So I tried bumping it up a bit and people seemed happy with 1024x576.

The process is simply that I started off using regular MS Paint for basic editing, and when I went to mill down the screenshots by pixel size, I went to 1024 and let the vertical size auto-generate proportionally in Paint. Ifranview has kept it, and it's been my standard ever since. I haven't gotten any complaints.

Falconier111 posted:

Also, the last point should be there and is more concise than what I'd write, can I quote you directly in the guide or do you want me to reword it?

Feel free to quote me!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Heart goes out to him and his family, and I hope he knows he made plenty of things that meant a lot to a good amount of people.

This subforum will be a dimmer place for his absence.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I am electing to wish TDI well regardless of whatever circumstances he is in and not look any further into this weirdness.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I joined SA because of an LP by Spirit Armor, who I haven't seen in this subforum for a long time.

The Dark Id, Poptarts Ninja, and Moon Slayer were the ones who inspired me to try my hand at LPing myself.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
My perspective on fanfic in LPs, as someone who puts a lot of fanfic into their LP projects, is that I'm largely not doing it for the thread's enjoyment: I'm doing it for my enjoyment, because I enjoy writing. Readers of the thread can read it or not as they wish, but they're not the people I'm primarily writing for in most cases.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

We're meant to enjoy the games that we LP?!

There is something to be said for doing an LP as a cathartic purge, speaking from experience.