Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Carbon dioxide posted:

This LP in the archive has youtube links - but for some reason they don't link directly to youtube, but to some no longer existing site instead.

http://lparchive.org/Legend-of-Zelda-Minish-Cap/

Any chance of this getting fixed?

While it doesn't help the Archive, I found a youtube playlist on MeccaPrime's channel with all the minish cap videos.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL962BE185E1ECDFA6

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Last year I tried my hand at a LP that used webms exclusively instead of the standard gifs. Don't follow in my footsteps in that regard. While webms are much smaller and nicer, the fact that they autoplay and the fact that they're straight up embedded MP4 files means that having more than a couple on a page is gonna start crashing browsers.

There's a long explanation for why, but the takeaway is people aren't going to read a thread that crashes browsers. So I would either use them sparingly, directly link to them like this, or just use gifs instead.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

He stepped down a while ago, if I remember right. Might have been at the same time as when he stopped doing lps for health reasons.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Please don't embed multiple WEBMs into a post. More than I want to say 5 on a single page makes web browsers start crashing. Even before that point, they slow down quite a lot. I tried it a while back and my thread was basically unreadable within 2 updates. Nobody posted in it because their browsers crashed when they tried, which only compounded the problem.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I believe gifvs will also be a problem for similar reasons. Fedule has explained it in the past better than I can. But the way that both are implemented on SA is a gigantic workaround where it's taking the raw MP4 file that makes up the webm/gifv and just embedding it into the site as a straight video. It's a problem inherent in the forums software in that it really wasn't designed to handle that sort of thing. Supposedly if/when the forums ever migrate to the new software, it will actually have native support for both.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

FactsAreUseless posted:

People who have done screenshot LPs: what are some good guidelines for what shots to take and use? How much dialogue should I be transcribing versus screenshotting? How many steps of doing something do people need to see to follow an action?

If you can find a game transcript online, you'll save yourself so much work in the long run. Being able to copy off a script makes doing dialogue a snap. As far as the "how many steps" thing, it's a gut feeling. I tend to use more screenshots to show actions, but explaining what's happening is also a good route. Or if you can work the necessary black magic, gifs are a great alternative.

But yes, like Dragonatrix said record first. That way you can scrub through the video at your leisure to find the perfect shot instead of mashing the screenshot key while you're playing.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Greyarc posted:

Any thoughts? Or LPs where large NPC text blocks have been handled particularly well?

Break it up into smaller paragraphs. Not necessarily where each new text box has its own portrait, but combine a couple text boxes at a time. There's no elegant way to handle large expository blocks of text, but that's the best way I've found.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Jamesman posted:

What's keeping you from summarizing instead of doing a text dump?

Because if it's a long enough text dump you can have all sorts of fun with it.

That Paper Mario TTYD LP that I abandoned posted:

: Well, well... Murphy! You must have gotten my request. Good, good. Truth be told, I've been a touch lonely here with no one to talk to. Since you're here, why don't you relax with me for a bit. Indulge an old Koopa. Hoo... To tell you the truth, I've got a few things to say about kids these days. Their tempers are too short for their own good, for one! Makes me want to smack 'em! For twelve years, you have been asking, who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. Why, I was shopping at the Toadstool Bros. Discount Super Shop the other day... I was trying to pay, and my coin purse was stuck closed, and the kid behind me said "Hey, geezer, wanna pay so we can get out of here before the sun goes down?" Now I may be a geezer, but sundown was clearly taking longer than I was. Clearly! You have heard it said that this is an age of moral crisis. You have said it yourself, half in fear, half in hope that the words had no meaning. You have cried that man's sins are destroying the world and you have cursed human nature for its unwillingness to practice the virtues you demanded. ...Speaking of sundown reminds me of dating the missus back before she was the missus. Always had to have her home by sundown, yessir. Her pa was an absolute maniac. Yep, I'd keep my eyes on the sun and off the face of my missus. Gentlemanly, eh? Actually it was sort of awkward. Kind of blinding, in a painful sort of way. Heh! Just thinking about it makes me feel awkward! Heh! Isn't memory grand? But that's not what I was talking about. Now where was I? Hrrrrrmmmm... Oh! That's right! Kids today! They know nothing about patience, I tell you! I want to stand up and yell: "HEY! YOU PUNKS! BE MORE PATIENT! RIGHT NOW!" That world is not the product of your sins, it is the product and the image of your virtues. It is your moral ideal brought into reality in its full and final perfection. You have fought for it, you have dreamed of it, and you have wished it, and I-I am the man who has granted you your wish. Speaking of which, I think I proclaimed my love for the missus in a loud voice... Yup! She was leaving on a train, and I yelled it from the platform! Like in a movie! Now, err... What was it that I yelled to her? Something about her shell, maybe... ...Oh. Wait. I think I've strayed from my main point again... Or wait... did I? Anyhow, me and the missus were madly in love! Head over shells, I tell you! No... Wait, my point was something about kids today, right? Awwww, whatever... Oh, my dear, sweet missus! The way you combed my eyebrows! Such tenderness! You have destroyed all that which you held to be evil and achieved all that which you held to be good. Why, then, do you shrink in horror from the sight of the world around you? ...Huzzuh? Oh, sorry! I got distracted, there. Anyway, you get my point. Sorry you had to listen through all that. Wasn't too boring though, I'd wager. I'm just happy to get a little face time with the youth of today! Oops I forgot to set out the tea! Aren't I an old ninny? My apologies. In fact, I haven't even added the hot water part. Awful sorry.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Yeah, I've run into similar issues, and eventually wound up using the test poster for the update. I think it's some half baked security thing on Cloudflare's end. It sees a long post and assumes some sort of fuckery is my best guess.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Jamesman posted:

I think you're better off making an image template for all the information, where you can edit the text depending on the monster. That way you can more efficiently deliver that information without it being a huge text dump.

Doing things as an image can actually be kinda difficult. When you're working with a template, you have to be judicious in cutting out any useless information to keep stuff as clean as possible.

vs

Honestly, I don't recommend doing bestiary stuff for a RPG LP. Not unless you have a strategy guide you can screengrab from.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

BioEnchanted posted:

I'm trying an LP of Soul Blazer but it's been a while since I tried editing emulated footage - how does this look/sound?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-CrNAfCL84

I would lower the game's volume in audacity a smidge. 34 seconds in and it's been in danger of overpowering you in a couple places.

With that said, I would watch the poo poo out of this.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

if you're pulling screens from a video already virtualdub can just copy whatever the output is and you can paste it somewhere, i guess

This. It's how I do things and it's as simple as copy the output, alt-tab over to Irfanview, paste, save, rinse, repeat. If all you're doing is taking screenshots, you can get quite a few in a short period. Handy if VLC doesn't want to save snapshots for whatever contrived reason it's come up with this time.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Explosions posted:

I got the feeling that 900px, which I'm using there, was a sort of unofficial maximum width. Are people going to complain if I bump it up to 1000?

900 is the maximum Baldurk will allow on the archive. If you don't care about that, then it's up to you. I personally wouldn't go much past that for embedded images, though.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

As far as SSLPs go, there's something to be said for how freeing it is to just only post screenshots of dialogue and then just liberally ripping it out when the game's author starts filibustering. Though that method only really works great in a "check out THIS poo poo" sense and not in a game you're showing off because you like it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Something I find that helps with making the "should I lp this???" decisions is actually recording a bit of gameplay and writing a proof of concept. You don't ever have to show it to anyone, but just writing a single test update lets you get a feel for what the challenges of lping that particular game would be. Ask yourself "is this something I can feasibly do multiple times per week for months on end?"

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

1600x900 is way too big. If you want to archive the LP later, you shouldn't go over 900px wide. If you don't care about archiving, that's still a pretty good benchmark to aim for. Please consider either chopping up the screenshots to only highlight the relevant bits, or resizing them to something like 800x450.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Table of Contents

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

berryjon posted:

While doing my MechCommander LP, I gave into pressure to do a MC2 LP. And the game sucked, I didn't like it, and I just gave up on it. Which led to my personal rule I only apply to myself - Only LP games you like or love. Don't force yourself to do something you don't have the enthusiasm for because someone wanted you to.

This is a really good lesson. It can be fun to read someone making fun of something bad, but in my experience the commentary almost always turns into an endless stream of "oh god why".

It's kind of a meta thing, but my litmus test for whether I'll even start an LP is if during the process of writing the first few updates/editing the first few videos, I'm excited to continue working. If so, then I'll keep going. But if in the process of working on those updates, my commentary becomes "I'm skipping most of this text" and "Wow, this sure looks pretty in motion but in still screenshots it's become the poster child for overused bloom" then I don't continue the project.

It's why despite loving the games, I've come to terms with never doing another .hack LP. The sequel series is really good and plays well, but my commentary for the updates I wrote was overall pretty down on the game. I started resenting how much useless dialogue there was and how loving dark the downscaled screenshots were. My currently-ongoing Dragon's Dogma LP has a similar problem, where 99% of the shots in the LP have to have the following code applied to their AVISynth script.

code:
return video.Tweak(bright=10, cont=1.5, sat=2.0)
Without it, the shots look like I play with the in-game brightness set to 0.

So basically, I agree with berryjon. If you start dreading update days, then it's probably a pretty good sign you shouldn't continue the LP.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Yeah, stream notifications in the new LP thread would bury every new LP with dozens of "Hey I'm gonna stream now" posts. The new LP thread would become completely unusable.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I feel like I say this once every 6 months or so,so here we go again...

Embedding MP4s into the forums is typically not a great idea. Due to the fucky way the functionality was added, they embed as autoplaying videos that the browser keeps rendering even when not on screen. So after just a couple, like just 3 or 4, browsers start crashing. So please be very judicious with their use!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

To be honest, for a long time now I’ve wanted to do a LP of one of the Impressions city builder games. But the problem is that it’s not something you can keep exciting just covering the strategy.

So the question is, I guess as a mental exercise, how would you even cover something like that? There isn’t a lot to say about samey construction.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Supeerme posted:

Huh. It seems that my spell checker thinks Assasin is ok. Maybe Grammarly isn't as great everyone says it is.

Ok. I don't know to burn the subtitles in Abode Premiere, how do I do that? That's the only reason why I did the subtitles.

Using Premiere to manually burn in subs is a pain in the rear end. It's been a while since I last tried, but if I remember correctly, you have to tell it to use open captions, and then you have to type in the text you want in the right spot. While that sounds simple enough, I never could get it to stick. Half the time, Premiere would crash every time I tried, and the other half the text just wouldn't save so I wound up having to retype the same caption four or five times before it just crashed anyway.

If you wanna burn in subs manually, it's much easier to use Aegisub, which has a nice what-you-see-is-what-you-get editor, and then you can just attach the resultant .rear end file using AVISynth.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

800x450 is a common resolution for LPs, and yours are only a bit larger than that. It'll be fine!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

A handy two step guide to PNG optimization:

Step one: run pngout in irfanview when saving the image.
Step two: alt tab over to Netflix and watch three full seasons of a tv show. The image should be just about done processing by the time season three wraps up. Repeat for each image in your update. If you did it right, the plugin should have reduced the file size a little more than 2kb per image!

Seriously, that plugin was so useless when I tried it. It took ages of churning for a single image and the gains were so marginal. I can't believe I used to be the standard recommendation for newbies making screenshot lps around here.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

R1ch might have taken the site down. The quick and dirty version of image choice is, though:

• For very old, low-resolution, or for sprite-based games: use PNG.
  • For anything after the 16 bit era, use JPG.
  • Always use integer scaling (2x, 3x, 4x) for PNGs: so if you have a 200x200 image, don't resize it to something arbitrary. Only resize it to 400x400, 600x600, etc. It preserves crisp edges and prevents the image from getting blurred out.
  • For resizing JPGs: ensure that it stays the same aspect ratio. So a 16:9 image (1920x1080, say) should remain a 16:9 resolution.

That's pretty much all you need to know.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Turn the RPS threads into the forums’ new traveling threads. Each round has a new sub forum getting in on the fun!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Carbon dioxide posted:

For this one, I have no idea if the original vids are still online somewhere but all of the vid links go through the LP'ers own site which is gone, so the LP page on the archive is effectively useless.

https://lparchive.org/Legend-of-Zelda-Skyward-Sword/

I found the playlist on youtube for this LP:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLA454FC7AF765E264

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

LPZone is apparently dead as poo poo. Most LP threads only have the OP chain posting updates. Also Discourse is the worst possible forums architecture to use for screenshot LPs because of infinite scroll. Even the people that started the site have largely abandoned it in favor of streaming or other stuff.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

It’s been my experience that text in images resized from 1080p is not going to be readable at all. 900x506 might be marginally better than 800x450 but it’s not great regardless. So you’re probably going to have to transcribe all the text.

I also personally prefer the full sized portraits. Actually the smaller ones look better.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Nidoking's advice is the most important thing to learn. Though beyond that I suggest cutting out repetitious deaths unless they're really entertaining, and the same with backtracking. Tightly edited videos and stream highlight compilations are much easier to watch because you're not spending 20 minutes watching someone try and fail to beat a hard boss or platforming challenge.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

It looks fine to me. Everything is pretty clearly explained and it wasn't too difficult to follow along and understand what you were doing. I'd say you're good to post!

Also worth mentioning, and I'm sure you're well aware, if you want to get it archived, you should resize your images to 900px wide at maximum. If not, then no need to worry!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Speaking as someone doing one of those aforementioned story-heavy MMO LPs, I just abstract away grinding because it's not worth showing at all in the case of Final Fantasy 14. But if I wanted to show that off, I'd probably just drop 3-5 screenshots showing the process by which I had been doing grinding. In my experience, that's just enough to communicate the idea of what you've been doing while not actually making the audience go through the 8 hours you spent doing it off-camera.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

I think your 768x432 images are fine. IIRC the 900px restriction for the LP Archive applies to the horizontal width of the image, you can't go over 900x???.

It's this. Any arbitrary resolution up to and including 900px wide is fine. Most 16:9 screenshots I've seen are either 800x450 or 900x506, for instance, for that very reason.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

In practice, the upper limit is 44-45k. Maybe 46k at a stretch. Past that and the forums will start rejecting the update for being too long.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

I would link to your website with the previous write ups so those who want to follow along can catch up that way. That way you don't have to spend a half dozen updates doing a "Previously on..." style catchup.

You did a really good job summarizing everything in the XIV thread with those updates! This way you can even link to and reference specific updates and so on if you need to.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

It's a complete crapshoot as far as I'm aware. Some games, like Fractured But Whole, are impossible to find script dumps for because all that comes back are 10,000 gaming news sites reporting the same headline from development.

The best source for a lot of game transcripts and descriptions is fandom wikis. Older crpgs in particular are pretty likely to have every word painstakingly transcribed onto one. You might also look into modding tools because someone may have created a tool that can dump the games text.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

Capture2Text is so finicky and produces so many errors, that for most games it actually is a whole hell of a lot slower than manually transcribing the text yourself. The most recent game I tried it on, Final Fantasy XIV, it was for some reason introducing invisible carriage return characters after the letter "F". Every F. They weren't showing up on the output, but the second I copied the text and pasted it into Notepad++, every F was followed by the rest of the word on a new line.

Fixing those errors takes a lot of time and slows the update process down a lot. If you had a straight text rip you can just copy and paste and have an entire monologue formatted in less than 20 seconds. But if you have to fix errors, that same monologue can take more than 20 minutes to fix. And that's if the game has relatively clear text. If ?v?ry ?th?r c?ar?cte? i? a q??stio? ??rk or some weird extended ASCII bullshit then at that point you're much better off just manually transcribing.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

YggiDee posted:

Let's not forget that entire fake MMO franchise, .hack//Infection

Oh god, don't inflict that evil on someone else. I played it so presumably nobody else would have to!

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

They do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

LPix does have webp support, which should take care of a lot of file size issues.

My screenshots are 4-500kb at 800x450 PNGs and are around 60-75kb as webp. And most devices will have no troubles displaying those.