Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
:rolldice:
Crap.

rudecyrus posted:

Second test post.

It's a slow start, I admit, but I wanted to get the main game systems out of the way before really digging in. I could add more, but I thought this was a good cut-off point before dealing with combat, which is another infodump.

Yeah, I think you share enough information in order for the reader to follow along. This game looks to be very dense with mechanics and skill checks, so taking it slowly and giving information as it becomes relevant should be helpful to prevent people from getting lost.

It's also wise to leave combat for its own update if it's going to require a lengthy explanation. I think you made the right call ending the update where you did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
If I can offer more constructive criticism, I think that it's going to help you a lot if you do a video recording of your gameplay so you can just cherry-pick frames from it. I noticed multiple times when you mentioned having trouble with getting the right shot for things, and pulling screenshots from a video would make it easier.

Also, the forums don't do the kind of tags you're using, so your formatting isn't going to work the way you want. The web browser version should have a link that says "use bbcode" so you can see what options are available.

As for the commentary itself, I'm not really getting any insights into why you chose this hack in particular. It feels like a pretty vanilla story with custom art assets, and there's not much more going for it. I'm not even sure if you like it or not, since your commentary is fairly matter-of-fact and doesn't offer any critical points to compare by.

I think with any romhack, there's gotta be a hook of some kind in order to make it worth looking at. I'm just looking for the reason why I should care about it. You're most likely going to be the only one who's played it on the forum, so you've got to explain why it's worth our time.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Mega64 posted:

What's the deal with webp anyway? I've seen a bit of it and it looks cool enough, but I'm not sure how well it works and how universal it is in various web browsers. I'd adopt it if it's worth using.

The advantage of webp over gif is the file size, basically. You can do significantly larger animations for the same amount of load. Granted, with internet speeds being the way they are, that's less of a problem nowadays.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.
There's not much to say that hasn't already been said. I was a big fan of TDI when I first joined the forum, was really heartbroken when the "news" hit of his daughter's death, and in general, it seemed like he was going to a bad place emotionally from the stuff he was posting. I suppose it's good that he was, in fact, a faking faker, but I'd like those years of concern back, please.

Blastinus
Feb 28, 2010

Time to try my luck
Crap.

Mix. posted:

Having like 20 updates for the next LP already basically prepared was a mistake because now i have to fight the temptation to jump straight to the next one instead of giving myself at least a week off between them lol

Yeah, back in the day, when I was perhaps a bit too passionate about LP's (and was still in high school, so no job), I would do an update a day and sometimes more before folks pointed out that it was really difficult to keep up. Nowadays, I keep to a much more reasonable schedule of doing an update every, uh...three months or more. Yeah.