Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I don't know, the old sandcastle was pretty good. What does this one being to the table, Jordan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
If the dev is the rights holder and is cool with it then we are cool with it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Some news that might be some small relief to anyone who's had a video blocked in Germany, maybe:

YouTube's seven year stand-off ends (BBC)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Hashim posted:

So would anyone be interested in a Paradox LP/megacampaign? I've been recording it over on the Paradox forums, but as I was getting towards the end of the CK2 volume, I wondering how it might be received over here?

Please don't post interest checks in the sandcastle!

From the OP:

JordanKai posted:

: How can I ask if anyone is wanting to see me LPing this game? What is an interest check?

: There's no point in posting an interest check without something to show for it. An interest check is just asking whether people want to see an LP without actually putting forth some significant sample content (more than just an OP).

For the most part, people won't really care if you LP the game or not, and it's very difficult to judge whether an LP would be interesting or not without seeing an actual update of it. If you want to know if people are interested, make a test post - don't just post "Would anyone like to see an LP of this game?". This applies no matter how much you have to decide before starting, or if you're unsure about how to LP the game. If you're not ready to put in the effort to make an LP without knowing how many people are going to be interested then you probably aren't ready to post an LP anyway.

Now that said, there's plenty of interest in Paradox threads here; we've had several and they've all had long and fruitful lives. That said, you shouldn't post already-completed or mostly-completed LPs here and you definitely shouldn't repost LPs from elsewhere. If you're going to start a thread it should be started for a new LP. If there's any doubt about this you should probably check out the rules thread and spend some time lurking here. Good luck!

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Worth mentioning; the screen switching used in that TW101 LP is actually an in-game feature. Including the picture in picture mode.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Koobes posted:

its actually the PS4 getting picked up by my mic while its spinning the disc, unfortunately nothing I tried made it better.

...what?! How does a PS4 make that sound? Is it, like, vibrating on a surface or something? (If so put a cloth under it I guess?)

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Riveting thread tag update!

Following Games' lead, we've gained , , and , which I think are supposed to replace , , and but that doesn't seem to have taken yet, or maybe it failed entirely? I don't know and don't want to know because that probably involves radium.

More importantly we've gained , in preparation for the rush of Breath of the Wild LPs, because there sure as poo poo isn't any other reason we'd need that for several more months.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Related, I've got a dumb question. How are tags assigned in the mobile browser? For instance, the pokeball tag doesn't seem to have a mobile equivalent besides the boring blue tag. (I couldn't think of anywhere else to ask this, I am dumb.)

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "mobile browser" but based on context ("boring blue tag") I assume you are referring to Awful.app, in which case the app has its own set of tags which map 1:1 onto the forum ones. A good few (like the last batch of Games tags) haven't been adapted yet. Possibly gently reminding the devs in their thread in IYG will help.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
We don't deserve you, baldurk.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Anyone know what's going on with Tindeck right now? All of the tracks I just uploaded are refusing to play, and on further inspection some of the tracks I uploaded last week are also refusing to play.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The discord has been off lockdown for a while now. I replaced the link in the OP with one that actually works.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The dialogue reading thing is one of those YouTube LP habits that just kinda fascinates me. I don't get it at all.

Pretty much all of the veritable pantheon of Things SA LP Does Not Like have basic YouTube Pragmatism at their core. Facecams are there to get people to relate to the LPer and to capitalize on the ~genuine reactions~ mindset, and we don't like that because showing people games first and foremost just kinda crystalised as one of our most ingrained ideals. Begging for likes is straight up engagement manipulation, you do it to Get Your Numbers Up, which is just... yeah. Shrieking reactions are playing to a demographic. So on and so on. Even stuff like the dead-air thing is just a rational panic response to what is perceived by the person playing as an awkward silence; it's actually kinda astonishingly difficult to imagine what a videogame sounds like when being watched being played when you're the one playing.

But I digress. The reading thing.

I do not know and will probably never understand why anyone did, does or ever will feel compelled to read out text that is on the screen. If they think it's any kind of substitute for voice acting they are probably delusional, and I say "probably" only to allow for the edge case of a group of actual voice actors going to lengths to professionally produce a dub, which is not a thing that I think has happened any meaningful number of times, and definitely not as part of a Let's Play. The result is invariably dire; it sounds first and foremost like they are reading lines from a script (because they literally are), character differences are either absent or utterly inconsistent, and the LPer always ends up tripping over themselves in an attempt to keep up with their own reading speed, and they always, always, always try to do it live for some reason. Do viewers like it? I can imagine a mindset from which some of these other things that we don't like would have an appeal, even if it's something as crude as "I'm some dumb kid and I don't know any better", but voice acting and line reading just seems like it shouldn't not bug absolutely anybody when it's done really really badly.

Guys. What is with the reading?

Hardmode: has there been an LP in which this gambit has actually paid off?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

juicedup posted:

There's a murder mystery game called trick x logic that hasn't been translated and I want to make an LP of it.
But I also want viewer input because I love the thought process that goes into solving mysteries. I also want to work together with others to solve murders.
Here's the video of what I translated.
https://youtu.be/zPtY42U8I5U
At first I thought I would have a stream and have people in chat choose the choices, but that didn't work out too well.
I want to see if you guys think a game like this would be interesting to LP.

A translation LP of a Chunsoft mystery game? What a world.

Thoughts:

Videos in a thread, in discrete episodes with voting in between, is broadly a much better idea than a live stream with live decisions, if only because it means that more people will be able to participate in decision making (since they won't have to watch live to do so). But you know what's gonna be an even better idea? Do a screenshot LP with transcriptions, and only bother with videos for animated cutscenes, and links to music tracks if you've got 'em. Otherwise, you're gonna have videos and videos and videos of nothing but text, which will suck, frankly. It'll be far easier for all involved, and probably less work for you to make. Everyone wins.

And, oh my god, please please please use polsy for your YouTube links because YouTube is already trying to spam everybody with spoilers for Danganwhatnot.

Related: subtitle alignment seems to be a problem in the VN sections - when subs take up two lines, the text gets blocked by the left speaker name... sometimes. Are these being aligned by hand? I'm not very familiar with subtitle LPs in the simplest of cases but if you're married to the idea of doing this in video then you may want to run through the Tech Support Fort for some advice on how best to handle this stuff. But if you do a screenshot LP, then none of this will be a problem! Please do a screenshot LP!

You may want to do an editing pass, and a proofreading pass for that matter - there are a lot of typos. Not everyone here is gonna be a natural dialogue snob in a translation LP but I don't think lines like "Who is the culprit, you will be the one to deduce it" or "Types where you can't figure out who the damned one is" are gonna cut it.

Other than that, this kind of game is interesting by itself. If it's not been translated before it'll be novel to almost everyone. I don't think LP wants for mystery fans, and I think people would be all over this with the detectiving even if you weren't pushing them to do it. Just... do an SSLP instead of a VLP, and proof/edit better.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Covski posted:

Is there a current Discord link? The one in the OP isn't working for me.

Whoops. Try again.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Tindeck has intermittent technical problems and every day that passes without its final death is a miracle. Use Clyp instead.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The first ever LPs were SSLPs, and they've stuck around. They've kept the presence they have because for certain types of games, video is actively a hindrance, while screenshots allow for very precise control over how information is presented, how commentary is interspersed, and, ultimately, how efficiently the end product can be consumed. There are games - older RPGs and VNs and a lot of strategy - where video would just be dull, and where there is no need to match watching time to gameplay time second for second. This isn't to say, of course, that any game can't be done or even done well in one format or another - right now we've got VLPs of JRPGs and an SSLP of a Platinum game going - just, they have their strengths and weaknesses to play to.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
This subforum's appetite for Paradox LPs is insatiable, :justpost:.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
What's much more likely to happen is you ask a mod (literally any mod, but probably an LP mod) and we'll go and poke an admin to do it.

This is such a well made forum.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Though we never stopped having rules, we have been without a rules thread ever since The Incident. This has been amended.

The rules have been compacted a bit and some expounded upon a little, and overall there's less of them, but that's just because we've taken out some things that, frankly, we didn't think needed saying anymore. Basically; as you were, folks.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Serious Answer: For April Fool's Day this year, one of the admins (I want to say zdr) made Black Baby Goku an IK in LP. Among other things he unstickied the rules thread, which, having never been posted in since its creation, was immediately archived. I've been meaning to remake it ever since but took this long because I am an extraordinarily effective person.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
He's alive.

e: why do i even bother

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
AvsPmod is my lord and saviour.

Technically almost any video editor will do the basic job of letting you scrub through a video and find ~the perfect frame~ to use as your screenshot but AvsPmod adds a lot of useful extra features, like being able to dump all the frames from between two bookmarks to turn into a gif, and generally just being able to edit the avisynth script in real time to get your output looking exactly how you want it. Hit up the Tech Support thread if you want your ear talked off about this stuff and how much it rules, and how to use it to Get Results.

The only real advice about what screenshots you should use I have is... basically just to follow your gut, try things, and read them yourself while trying to imagine you haven't just spent the last hour staring at the video version, to see if it works. I guess, broadly, you're going to have the kinds of pictures that just punctuate the narration - the stuff that sets the scenes and lets people get their bearings - and the kinds where you specifically want to show people something, like a pretty landscape or a funny looking model or a nifty animation.

If you're doing any in-depth explainer/tutorial expert-level kind of playthrough then obviously you'll want to be thorough in making sure people can follow along with what you're doing and where you're going, but if you're doing a chill, humourous, not-getting-caught-up-in-minutiae-but-look-what-cool-poo poo-I-did-today kind of thing you probably shouldn't overthink it too much

Transcription in games like this works on similar principles; if something happens during the conversation that warrants a screenshot - whether that's some visual thing or just a really important line you want to emphasise - then maybe screenshot that. Otherwise, yeah, in a long conversation you mostly want to have talking-heads rather than fifty consecutive screencaps.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I don't know how, or when exactly it happened, but somehow, Tindeck appears to be allowing new uploads again. Maybe they plugged in a USB stick or something.

I really thought it had broken for good this time.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

nine-gear crow posted:

Clyp has kind of supplanted Tindeck as the go-to audio platform for LPs on SA, hasn't it?

It's what I use for standalone audio these days.

Clyp rules but costs money per month for anyone who wasn't heavily using it from the beginning. I think you get six hours before you gotta cough up.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Artix posted:

Just blame Radium and shrug, no one will know the difference.

Basically.

The Forums Archive happens based on a Radium Script. We know what it's supposed to do. It just gets a bit screwy from time to time.

In theory it's two months before your thread is out of reach to all but arcane db magic.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I've been doing the

[headshot]
one textbox full of dialogue
another textbox full of dialogue
yet more dialogue

[headshot]
dialogue

dance for VLR, and I'm kinda astonished at how badly it's not gone.

I can get why it might be annoying generally, but in this one specific case it worked.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

Jamesman posted:

I've said it earlier in this thread, but I feel like SSLPs, by nature, provide a trimmed down experience for the viewer/reader. You're picking and choosing parts of the game to show and deciding on what's most important to share, and trying to convey the most information possible in an efficient manner. I would think that cutting out or summarizing dialogue would go along with that.

Is my mindset wrong here? When you go into an SSLP, what kind of experience with the game are you expecting to have? People are saying things like insisting on fully transcribed dialogue or wanting to give a more complete experience, but what, to you, makes a SSLP a unique experience from a VLP?

Your mindset isn't "wrong" so much as it's just... your mindset.

You can have exhaustive SSLPs. You can have abbreviated SSLPs. You can have informative, narrative, or comedic SSLPs. You can have all of these things with VLPs too. It's just a different format, which offers different possibilities, and has different eases of editing for different results.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Okay. I'm in the deep end on this one. I'm still not really comfortable with video in the first place, I'm in a new workflow, and I sure as poo poo have never done solo post-commentary before.

gently caress me up, Sandcastle. Because I love this game too much to put it On Here before you lot have had a say.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AOTvsnF07s

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

discworld is all I read posted:

Yeah, this is actually really good for the most part. Just tiny nitpicks here and there, like you don't really need to show off the options menu (even with the tiny bit of info you gave there and how lil time you spent looking at it) and that it might be worth mentioning what we might know the voice actors from. I know David Hayter and Jennifer Hale sounds familiar, but where should we know the other voice actors from that you brought up? Honestly though, that's all that came to mind and it's super minor.

Also there's a bit of speaker feedback that's super not noticeable at ummm 1:40, but I wasn't sure if that was the game or not.

I'll give you the settings menu (though I stand by having it in there - that all the graphics options are present and correct is something I appreciate, and the un-rebindable keys something I don't). Voice actor stuff is going in the OP with a bunch of other stuff. The speaker feedback is actually in the game! It happens every time we get a phone call. République was originally released for phones, and was presented as, like, something you were doing over a phone call, so I guess it was a cute way the devs tried to add some authenticity to proceedings? I guess it's a little weird, but weird is typical for this game.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Thread live, feedback appreciated.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

IGgy IGsen posted:

I'm already busy with a big project thing I'm doing here but since I played Celeste and loved it so much I can't not LP it sooner or later.

Here's a test video featuring the Prologue and Chapter 1

Some feedback would be appreciated.

Especially in regards to the playstyle. I use advanced movement mechanics occasionally, more out of habit than consciously (Though, the part at the start of the first proper level was intentional), which I'm afraid might be distracting or hard to follow for some people (though, I do plan on explaining part of the stuff I use as soon as the second Episode to alleviate that, I just felt it would be flow breaking to do it in the first episode.).

If there's any other input regarding my commentary, the video's structure or other miscellaneous things that catch your attention that is also appreciated.

I don't know what your process for game audio is but something is wrong with it. It's barely noticeable most of the time but it's distorted the hell out of the BGM in the room with the cassette tape. I have no idea what would cause that.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

IGgy IGsen posted:

Are you sure? To be safe I recorded some footage of the PC version. Recorded via completely different means.It sounds pretty much the same to me
The first bit of footage is from the test video (PS4 version) and after the hard cut it's the PC version.

Can anyone else hear anything off about the game audio? Because to me it just sounds how the game sounds.

The PC cut sounds fine to me. The problem seems to only be in the PS4 recording.

Here's the OST version.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

DrNutt posted:

My plan was to not talk over cutscene dialogue and provide commentary during gameplay/exploration segments that would otherwise get boring without commentary or discussion. Rerecording wouldn't be the biggest deal breaker (it's Tomb Raider '13, not an incredibly long game) but I'm doing a 100% long play without using a guide for collectibles, so I'd rather just work with what I've got. I think I'll put together a few clips and post them here to see how they work/get some criticism.

Thanks for the feedback.

Tomb Raider '13's subtitles have the opposite of technical sophistication; you could probably recreate them accurately in Aegisub in about half the time it would take you to rerecord footage.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Have raised this with zen death robot, who acknowledges that "something" isn't right with all this.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Mr Death Robot says the large post bug should now be fixed. It was something really dumb.

Anyone still getting it?

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
The issue was, an nginx update changed/introduced a default max post size of 16kb. There wasn't a max size set before now so that was suddenly being imposed. Now it's set to something large enough to allow 50k char posts again.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.

TheLoneStar posted:

So, should I keep going with OPs like this: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=150904

Or should I do more to spice them up? Should it be longer? I did do character bios for the last few LPs I did, but they started to feel kind of silly to do considering the last few games I covered were around a decade old, or even older.

Listen to your heart.

There's no generally right or wrong way to do this. Even for some specific game, there are good reasons to take this thing in all sorts of ways. You're sharing a game with people because you want them to see it, so what would you have them know in advance? Is there anything that they need to know to enjoy the LP? Do you think it's worth collecting some stuff in one place so that people can have extra background info without having to dig through wikis and TVTropes and spoilers? Do you just know some really cool poo poo about the game that people would enjoy hearing? Do you just want to gush a bit about how much you love/hate the game?

You already know which of these you want and which you don't, so just do them, or don't, and mean it, and don't worry about some prescribed way it "should" be for some given game.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Sounds like a “spirit of the rules” situation to me. I’ll allow it.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
You could have asked! I would have been happy to tell everyone once again that I am never going to LP ZTD.

There's not a lot to go on here, really. The screenshot to text ratio is high but then the cutscenes in ZTD are all full motion so there's more stuff to show, so that's fine, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I cannot overstate how much I love the fact that the Forum Archive server, the Archive Lock status and the LP Archive are all different things.