Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Either 64x64 or 75x75. I'll echo that smaller is better, but you need to keep enough space to reliably show expressions (unless you don't plan on showing those at all, in which case you can probably swing 50x50, honestly).

Unrelated: I know what game this is and it's gonna be a real interesting ride. :allears: I still need to go finish the second storyline, myself.

Artix fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Try 55x55 or 60x60? There's a sweet spot between 64 and 50, just gotta find it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

IGgy IGsen posted:

Do we have an SALP Discord server? Because I'd like to just have a general hangout that isn't IRC (I can't take people who still use IRC seriously, sorry).
I'd be willing to make one if there isn't one unless people hate the idea horribly for some reason.

EDIT: Yeah, you may know me as someone shilling Discord everywhere.

I think most LP groups (whether formal or loosely related) have their own at this point (and as mentioned the IRC exists) but I wouldn't say no to an unofficial server. It's not like anyone has to join if they don't want to.

TheMcD posted:

Root Double

Looks good. Now I'm debating whether I should power through the rest of the B route myself or just wait for you to get there in 6-12 months. :v:

Artix fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 3, 2016

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Okay, so I have a strange idea for an LP and I need a little feedback on the idea. Basically, I want to show off The Beginner's Guide - if you've never played it, it's basically a guided tour of a collection of small indie games, narrated by Davey Wreden (of The Stanley Parable fame). The catch is that because it's a "guided tour", Davey basically never shuts up, so voice commentary is basically out. But the game also has subtitles for Davey, subtitles for the assorted dialogue options that start showing up about halfway through, and adding a third set of subtitles (from me) would be basically unwatchable. Would it be a massive faux pas to post what basically amounts to a longplay before getting to the actual meat of the LP? The game isn't long, maybe 90 minutes or so, so it would only be like 5 videos at most, and it's kind of required reading for when we start going into the literary criticism part of the LP, because it does a ton of interesting things with Death of the Author and the separation between the Author and the Narrator. Or am I just totally overthinking this?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I was thinking that after getting through the "text" in and of itself, I would do videos where I mute Davey and do voice commentary over video the appropriate bits of the game. I was kicking it around with some folks on the SA discord, and we came up with a handful of theories worth going into, and obviously anything the thread comes up with might be worth taking a deeper look at.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
That seems...unnecessary? Like, it would take 5 seconds to find out whether it's video, screenshots, or some weird hybrid thing just by clicking on the thread and thread title space isn't exactly overflowing. It's like what, 75 characters? A minimum of 5 of which would be eaten up by this.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
There really aren't any hard and fast rules, mostly that the archive deals in 900 px wide at most. You can go bigger, but they'll be downsized when they get archived, and you probably don't want to go bigger than a 720p image because at that point 50+ of those in a single update will just be a pain to scroll through, not to mention people on mobile or who don't have their internet browser of choice fullscreened. Portraits and talking heads should be as small as you can make them while still be recognizable as the character. I use somewhere between 50x50 and 75x75 as a baseline, and smaller is better, especially if you have a lot of dialogue to transcribe.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
There's a loud buzzing when one of you is talking, it sounds like an attempt at noise removal gone wrong. Other than that, I didn't notice anything particularly offensive.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Tindeck is probably making GBS threads the bed like it did a few months ago. Either wait it out for a week or two while it sorts out its poo poo or look into alternative hosting.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
As a thread creator, that sounds like it would fall somewhere between pointless and actively annoying. Obviously I can't speak for everyone, but I can't think of a single instance where a thread of mine would fall into archives and I hadn't already abandoned it for one reason or another. I certainly wouldn't want people bumping a thread I had no intention of continuing, and if you regularly go 2 months without updating, then maybe you're not really in a position to be doing LPs right now?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Dr. Fetus posted:

Not sure how many of you are aware of this, but if you want to make use of Clyp now, be warned that free accounts are now limited in how much they can upload. You only have 6 hours of storage space on there.

As an addendum to that, I don't know when that decision was made but if you were using it before that, you should have gotten an email saying you were grandfathered in to the unlimited account, so if you've been using it for a while it should still be business as usual.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
In fact. everyone should LP Shadows of the Empire. Make it a rite of passage, like Super Mario World on Youtube.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Alexeythegreat posted:

I know there have been instances of people deleting their LPs after years because they couldn't stand them anymore.
Has there ever been a case of someone redoing an LP of the same game they LPd ages ago because they felt the quality was not up to par? Asking for a friend

Multiple times, Chip being the latest (and highest profile one). OFS's Digimon World LP is another one I can remember off the top of my head, and I'm sure you could find countless others if you really wanted to dig.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Just blame Radium and shrug, no one will know the difference.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I don't remember if I ever sandcastled this or not, but either way I'm looking to go live next week so gently caress me up fam.

Final Fantasy Type-0, Part 1

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Separate them with another portrait. Having them on the same line gets confusing very quickly.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Can you? Yes. Should you? Because frankly that sounds like it would be be absolutely awful to follow along. On the most basic level not everyone has embedding on (or is on mobile, it what have you) and having to manually click on 100 tweets every single page sounds like a complete mess for the viewer. Also echoing that doing screens not from video is...ill-advised, but don't let that stop you if you really want to.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
So I watched your C8 video, and I want to preface what I'm saying with I think this is a cool idea and I would love to see a high-skill run that demolishes Lunatic Conquest. I don't know that I would follow this LP as-is for a few reasons though:

1) It's in video to begin with. Nothing wrong with video in general, but Fire Emblem generally doesn't work well with for a few reasons. No one wants to sit there and watch you try and figure out your next move, for one, but more importantly if you need to explain something that's going on, or why you're doing something particular, the game continues on. There were multiple times in that video you were still explaining something you did 15 seconds ago while something new is happening. Plus, you're going really, really fast with your menus. That's good, of course, but I'm a Fire Emblem veteran and even I had trouble following along with what and why you were doing every so often. And of course, these maps get long, especially late in the game. Really long. It's a 20 minute video now, but it could easily be an hour long per map by endgame, and frankly an hour long video is a hard sell, especially for something that has so little going on as Fire Emblem.

Most of us who have done FE LPs have done SSLPs because it allows us to better control the pacing and do information dumps as needed, plus you get to cut all those bits you don't need like positioning everyone every single turn. Again, this is NOT a "you have to do it this way", just something to consider.

2) There's nothing wrong with skipping the FE LP traditions like letting the audience pick your party members and whatnot, but fairly or not, I'm immediately bristling a bit at the "Oh and this is how I'm cheating" bit. I get that it's a small thing and mostly just makes for a more consistent experience for you, but it still rubs me the wrong way, especially resetting everyone's stats to average after every map. I'm sure it's necessary for playing on Lunatic and showing everything off the way you plan, but speaking as a prospective audience member, no one wants to see [Favorite Unit] get three perfect levels in a map and then get told "anyway so I hacked him back down because he's not supposed to be this good". Maybe consider using that as more a mulligan than SOP? Like if someone is turning out exceptionally bad or lopsided, hit that reset button, but otherwise roll with it to the best of your ability. Something I would highly suggest at least checking out is Melth's Perfect Rank LP of Fire Emblem 7, which aimed to do a lot of the same stuff this LP is, and he does a really good job of explaining exactly what he's doing, when, and why while still rolling with whatever garbage the game throws at him.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
80 for mods iirc

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Count another one for unsticky-ing Stream thread and combining Requests/Recommendations.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I feel like requests and recommendations should be pretty easy to tell apart at a glance, based solely on "Person X is doing a great job with [game]" versus "I would really like to see [game]." Plus, I can't imagine any future version of the thread, even a merged thread, wouldn't keep the request list around.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
13 and 13-2 were done in the same thread because I had to do a bunch of grinding for the 13 postgame so in the process of switching to the PC version we just started 13-2 in the same thread. "Scroll down" in this case literally means scroll past post #2 and you're in the 13 part of the thread.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Maybe? Blind is just a style of LP, so it's hard to say more without knowing more about A) you and B) how you planned to present it. Are you funny? Have you played games like it? Are you going to let the game speak for itself? How about tech, are you ready to re-record a section three times because the audio didn't record once and then OBS mangled the footage on the second try? It's not really blind at that point, is it?

Short version: Probably, but you won't know until you try.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I don't see anything wrong with the post, although as someone also playing SMB3 right now I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to show some actual games along the way. I know season mode at least allows for watching AI vs. AI games and seeing pitch mixes in action or exactly how bad "bad defense" is could help in making some personnel decisions.

Also I can confirm that something about the Freebooters sucks because I got annihilated playing as them they other day. :v:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
If your images are archive-sized (ie less than 900 wide) and not ludicrously tall, you should always leave them at full size (imo). There are arguments to be made, certainly, but the core one I always come back to is this: Imagine that you're reading a thread you really like. You *want* to see all the images and content, right? Imagine if you had to click and blow up every single image in the thread. It would be tedious at best and incredibly obnoxious at worst, and I wouldn't blame anyone who couldn't be bothered for checking out of the thread. Lord knows I would.

E: Basically this:

nine-gear crow posted:

The only reason anyone should be using TIMG tags is if their images are grossly gigantic, and if they have an entire update's worth of gigantic images that need TIMG tags then that's just kind of gauche in general.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I sincerely hope that this goes through and we don't have to deal with the splinter sites and whatnot, but I won't believe until the ink is dry and the Taxman takes his leave. Consider me cautiously optimistic, but nothing more for now.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Slower the better imo. Speed 3 is fine on the longer lines but the shorter ones disappear too quickly for my liking, especially as a viewer who doesn't know what's coming and might have to re-read a line. Personally I'd go with 2, but I could definitely see the argument for 1.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
There's a story behind that one but yes they deleted their accounts and basically went off to be an internet hermit.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I mean, what do you want to make, really? An LP video and a "best of" compilation are two wildly different beasts and are going to appeal to vastly different audiences. If you just want to cut up some clips and stick them in a highlight reel, that's easy and requires nothing more than some quick jump cuts between funny/cool moments, maybe set to some music of your choice. It's not really what we do here, but it's easy to share and makes for a good "trailer" if you have vods or a proper LP on hand to watch. Beyond that, we start diving into LP "styles" and philosophy and you'll never get anyone to agree on what the "correct" way of doing that is.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Casual thread is here.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

nightelf_37 posted:

Huh. Guess I'm not cut out for SSLPs after all. :( Simply playing them isn't enough, I have to be informative as heck, too.

Surprisingly not true, as highlighted by others. Obscurity is absolutely a valid draw for a thread, provided that the game in question isn't...whatever those romhacks are. Danganronpa is the biggest and most obvious example on the forums of something that is both intrinsically a really cool game and something nobody had ever heard of, so Oren functionally *didn't* have to be funny, or interesting (which is not to say he wasn't, considering he was translating it as he went), the game was doing the heavy lifting for him.

...That said, you should probably take a month or so, lurk and read a bunch of threads, and come back with a username change before you attempt anything else.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
JRPG combat and videos are an imperfect fit but can be done, usually with plenty of editing or just outright cutting it out once you've seen enemies and how they fight. As mentioned, the fact of the matter is that there simply isn't anything to really say when you encounter enemy #37 for the fifteenth time this dungeon unless something very silly happens where you unexpectedly die or something so regardless of how you present the game, just start cutting encounters out once you've shown what they can do.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
If you mean just slap some subtitles up on a screen for a couple seconds, Premiere updated last(?) Year with a system that is apparently pretty good. If you mean in general for a subbed video the answer is that they are all tedious at best.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Or you just don't tell anyone when you're closing the poll and go with it at some point when it has results you're at least somewhat happy with.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I put this out there for feedback in the discord and never got a response so here's a more formal test post to try again. I am specifically checking in to see if this general format works, because it is really hard to shake the feeling that recording like 6 lines of commentary for a video feels like I'm doing something wrong. :v:

------

Good afternoon! Or is it evening? Morning? Let's go with morning.

Welcome to Voice of Cards: The Isle Dragon Roars, the first of a series of RPG from Square and Yoko Taro's gang of goofballs. Released in October 2021, it is a short but sweet little RPG with a heavy dose of tabletop inspiration - both in the aesthetic and the structural sense. Over the course of the game's 10-12 hour runtime, we'll be taken on a tour of the island right out of someone's D&D campaign, complete with a narrator who spends most of the time telling us what is and is about to happen in-game. Suffice to say that these games owe more than a small debt to Supergiant Games, and in particular Bastion.

As far as this game goes, underneath all the tabletop trappings it's just a bog-standard JRPG, and not a particularly interesting one at that. The most notable thing it does is using a "gem" system for magic, where the party all uses the same pool for abilities and you generate a single gem per turn. It's very "Super Mario RPG-esque", where using one party member's big gently caress-off attack may mean that the next one up can't do anything aside from a basic attack (if even that)...or at least, that would the case if it wasn't wildly unbalanced and easy. In truth, there is little reason to use the biggest and most expensive attacks because outside of the game's handful of superbosses and endgame foes, nothing requires more thought than using the standard 1-2 gem attacks that do things like "Damage x1.5" or "Attack + 1d6 Wind damage". This is something that will eventually be addressed in Forsaken Maiden and Beasts of Burden, although I personally feel that they went a little too hard in the other direction for those games.

But honestly? I like that it's pretty easy. It makes the game feel very breezy and carefree, a vibe echoed in the game's plot which is remarkably uh...not the typical Yoko Taro fare. Oh sure, the stuff you're all imagining is in there, but it's mostly confined to things like the character cards (which take the place of previous works' weapon stories) and very little of it comes through the plot itself. ...At least for the most part. Don't worry, we'll get there. :unsmigghh: It's a lot more Nier than Drakengard, if that's worth anything.

Anyway, given the prescence of the narrator, it would be fruitless to try and get a word in during the plot scenes, so we're just not going to worry about that. I'll do commentary where appropriate (dungeons, exploration, general downtime), but for the most part I'm going to let the game speak for itself, given that it is one of the few out there that unironically can.

And with all that out of the way, let's begin. Welcome to Voice of Cards.

Table of Contents
Part 1: Our Heroes(?)

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
The other option is to record at a higher resolution and then crop the images to what you specifically want to show, but that can get unwieldy quickly if you had to do it for every single image.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Whatever Chip did, it wasn't a full LP of it because he's talked a couple times about how he might do it on his cohost.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
From what's come out, the worst of it was in his discord and only some was on his Twitter, rarely in his threads. Not a surprise that a lot of this is news to most of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Color Printer posted:

I have so many questions about this entire thing that basically amount to "but why though?" and the only answer I can come up with is "pathological liar".

"Patreon sympathy money" is also on the table I suppose but clearly this poo poo runs waaaaaaaaaaay deeper than that.

Are you saying you don't have an alt that serves as your LP hype man?