Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've got a recording device that works great and am finally going to do my LP of Dog's Life on PS2 - here's the first vid - how's the commentary? If it is far too low to hear over the game then I'll rerecord it and try to rebalance it, but if it is loud enough then I can just rebalance from video 2 onwards. Here's the video:

https://youtu.be/jG-vmuxo90M

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
THought so, I'll get that corrected, reupload then repost.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I have rerecorded thje commentary and made it turned down the game audio - it is uploading as I type this. When it is finished I'll post it here, and if the commentary isn't being overpowered that should be fine to start the thread, unless there are other issues you want to raise while I'm at it?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Doubleposting with updated Video: https://youtu.be/33NQ34QpXV4

Is this good enough for a thread or is there still too much wrong with it? Keep in mind that more interesting commentary will come as areas get more advanced and give more to talk about.
Edit:
drat, just noticed that the software adhered the commentary to the vid length exactly, so it slightly cuts off my into in the start. I'll see what I can do about that.

Double checked and it didn't, false alarm, thank god. If there are no objections overnight I'll make the thread in the morning.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 2, 2016

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Final post for now to update - the thread is live as there were no further objections: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3796419

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've made a first episode of the Ghosthunter LP that I wanted to do - posting it here to see if there are any major problems with it, or is it fine to start the thread proper?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jWf_Uyc-8g

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

SelenicMartian posted:

It's nice to see someone with a working copy. Mine works off two discs, because some levels are corrupted on the one, and others are broken on the other.

Is it still processing or it is intended to be at 240p?

It may be doing that because I set it to encode as small size mp4. I'll reencode at medium size and see if that looks better. I'm encoding at Good Quality instead of Smaller Size. well see if that improves it, if not then this quality may be the best I can do. I think that the middle setting was what I used during Dog's Life.

Here's the new video - now it runs at 480p. How's this look? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9v6P9yWIHDE

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 20, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

If there are no further comments on my latest version, I'll probably get the thread up on Wednesday.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

As a heads up: My Ghosthunter thread is live: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3810989

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also don't get discouraged if you don't get many replies, it seems to depend partially on how well known the game is and how well known you are. The games I do tend to speak for themselves so I don't get many replies, but I still am able to see the views on both the thread and the videos themselves and know that people are still watching and enjoying it.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think one of my favourite moments in Old LPs was during Slowbeef's run of Metroid Prime at the Phazon Mines, where Blister revealed that he literally gave his right testicle for a super nintendo (The story as he explained it went that he got a testicular torsion on the day it came out, and he refused to go to the hospital until his mum took him to get the new game first. Of course the torsion went on for too long and he lost the testicle).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always seem to misjudge how much of an impact things have overseas. When I did my Haunted Mansion LP years ago I thought that Disneyland and the titular ride were bigger parts of american Childhoods than they were. Turned out I knew more about the ride myself than the people who actually lived in the country with it. :P

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I think it's because all the american TV I've seen treats Disney land like that kind of experience so my perspective is skewed. British People (including me) love Alton Towers but it's not in every show as a "The Family/Team goes to Alton Tower" special like in many american sitcoms, so americans don't think much of it because it's not literally EVERYWHERE in our media. You could see how my position was cemented by everything between Rosanne and Sabrina the Teenage Witch :P

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I don't know how everyone is forgetting the Live-Translated Dangan Ronpa thread that caused quite a hullabaloo all over the internet and brought in a bunch of new accounts from Tumblr users (a lot of which were banned quickly due to not reading the rules :P)

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Putty posted:

You may have just outed yourself as a Tumblr. Prepare for death.

Never been to tumblr, I just like that one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've started recording an LP of Lego City Undercover, and wanted to get some opinions - I'm trying live commentary for the first time, and trying to get a good "flow" going with gameplay, namely getting whatever I can that's en route to my destinations. Here's the first video, for some reason though some point in the editing process seems to cause a bit of a drop in quality, hence the somewhat odd text in-game, which looks fine in the original source, but after editing, despite saving as Lagarith Lossless it still seems to cause loss, most likely in the initial conversion from MP4 to .avi.

Here's the first video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMA0AgCQrtQ

And I was planning on showing my progress (things collected/done) in the following format, with more numbers/totals being unveiled as they are unlocked/relevant:

Completion: 0.7%

Any thoughts? I'm hoping to start this properly after finishing my Ghosthunter LP next weekend. Does this look OK, or are there methods I can employ to stop the editing process messing up the quality that badly? I am recording with HDMI cables BTW

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 9, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I redid my Lego City Undercover video to make it look much better. Any thoughts about audio visual stuff?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN8P62ed4hs

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Are there any criticisms for my Lego vid or will I be good to go when i'm ready to? There were a time I leaned away from the mic and may have got a bit quieter due to a stressful mission type making me shift position, I'm still audible but want to make sure I'm not too quiet.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Since it seems fine I'll probably record more tomorrow after uploading the final Ghosthunter video.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Since there was no response I think I can assume my video is fine, that plus a workflow that works for me consistently means that I might get my Lego City Undercover thread up tomorrow at some point.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

It looked fine as avs. How can I make it an MP4 to upload it without that drop in quality? It there a line of code I can put in the script that will export it or is there a good third party program that can do it without the quality drop? I encoded it with MyGUI, so if there's a better program please let me know.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:25 on May 18, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I will never forget. Once I tried to record Project Zero, but the girl I tried to photograph went straight through my camera, into my living room and wiped my data! 5 minutes later I got a phone call saying "2 Months..." Then two months later, my thread died. The entire OP was replaced with just 6 characters:

:gonk:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

That sounds really obnoxious unless I'm missing a joke.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm tired, thought I was being dumb :P

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I tend to introduce myself at the start of my videos but it's just because it feels rude not to to me. It just wouldn't feel right.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Yeah, we're generally pretty friendly if the effort is put in to learn. It when people come in with a thread featuring a camcordered Youtube dump of 100 hours of Persona 5 in which the player clearly has no idea what to do that we get catty because it's then obvious that the person hasn't read the rules or the sandcastle at all. :P

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

A more general tip is not to overextend - doing a bunch of really long games all in a row may get tiring. My first LPs here were really short games, like 12-15 videos, and now I'm doing a much larger game now that I have the workflow down, but after this I'll probably go back to something fairly short for my next project before going to a game a really wanted to do for a while, but that will still be fairly chunky in length. If I go straight to the latter I feel like I'd probably burn out.

Also don't get discouraged if you don't get replies. Sometimes games speak for themselves and don't leave much for discussion. Most of my threads have eventually become me chainposting updates, but I know I'm still being watched for the duration due to seeing that the number of views on the thread spikes when new vids are posted.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Aug 20, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Also, the game itself doesn't have to be overly interesting depending on showmanship. I went out of my way to find all the plot I could in my Dog's Life LP, a game with a fairly generic and dumb plot, but the extra stuff I found gave me something I could do with it. Once I discovered that the radio stations actually contain unique lore I was able to apply it and really spin the hell out of the villain, since I could infer unsaid plot from what I found. Learn a game well enough and you can make poo poo to talk about.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I got lucky on my first Lego City video, so when the licensed song played over the end credits I tried to cover it up with commentary. A desperate move :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've made a video of Toy Story 3 intending that to be my next project, but want to check how the audio levelling is. I used the same processes as my Lego City LP so the quality is decent, but want to check that I haven't made the audio too quiet, because before I leveled it by increasing them both slightly until it was both audible, but I felt that that may have been too loud in hindsight, so tried it the other way and tried dropping the game audio instead - does this sound fine, or is it too far in the other direction?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXL-8ywnfXs

also while the commentary seems a little unfocused, the opening of the game is very rapidfire so it can be hard to judge good timing for commentary. The rest of the game gets chill enough that it will be easier to comment due to greater gaps between dialog, it's just the Evil Dr Porkchop will not shut up. Also I checked after the fact, there are no subtitles in the 360 version of the game.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Sep 24, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

lohli posted:

There is some slight noise/hiss from your mic that you could remove fairly effortlessly in audacity/goldwave but it's not audible over any of the actual game audio so nothing to fret over. Sounds good.

Thanks, I'll try to fix that from episode 2 onwards, the original commentary file got lost so the only copy of the first episodes audio is prebaked.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm preparing to start my thread - here's the first draft of my OP - any final suggestions before I post for real? (The audio noise pointed out is barely noticeable but I will try to fix it from video 2 - video 1 is a little stuck because I lost the raw audio for my commentary and only have the composite file and am worried the audacity de-noiser will break the audio I have.)

Let's Play: Toy Story 3!

Hello and welcome to my latest project, one that I recently 100%ed and found rather charming so decided I wanted to show off.

What is this game, and why have you chosen it?

This is, like most licensed games, a third person platformer. I know. Hold the presses, right? However, this game has a lot of variety that I like in the levels, whether it's events that actually happened to the characters, like the trials and tribulations of Sunnyside Daycare, or levels that take place entirely in the imaginations of children. There is a lot of effort involved in making sure most levels escalates nicely within themselves, with most of them having some sort of climax (whether that climax is traversing the back of an exploding train or performing a series of airdrops in a tight space).

Format of the LP:

I intend to get every card and collectible in story mode, and in turn every Gold Star in Toybox mode. Gold Stars are micro-achievements that count only within the game that you get for doing virtually everything in toybox mode which is fun.

Toybox mode is a large sandbox unlocked after the first story level, where you follow a series of side-stories in an open world environment for a variety of characters in the Toy Story canon. Happily it won't be as overwhelming as Lego City Undercover, as there are only 105 gold stars to get so a basic sweep of each area will be fine. The only things I won't guarantee are the unlockable clothes for the citizens/aliens in Toybox mode that you unlock through the vending machine in Al's Toy Barn, because they are not tied to any achievements or gold stars and therefore are just pointless, and due to the random nature of the machine making it hard to not accidentally waste coins on an empty capsule. Also there are way too many clothes to show off set by set, so during the toybox mode stuff any outfit pieces that the thread really wants to see will be shown off by quickly changing a guy into them at the start of that video.

With that, here are the videos. I hope you enjoy!

Videos:

Toy Story 3 Level 1 - Woody's Roundup!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

If no one has any further comments about my OP, I'll probably post it for real later today. I've got a thread title in mind.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I've started recording for my next let's play - I'm doing Get Even on the PS4 - I'm following the same workflow as with Toy Story 3, just want to run it by you to check volume levels and sound/commentary quality. I'm going for informative style, discussing the level design and the information we can gather from the evidence that we collect along the way when appropriate. Does this work? I've tried to avoid the old "Saying what I'm doing" trap as much as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUTLTfq2Kds

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Sometimes there is something extra to add that otherwise may bloat the OP, like in a game with a lot of characters you may want to put character bios, or in my Lego City Undercover LP I used it as a running tally of the collectibles.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

What about Jan-April you rear end? I'm sure May'll be fine, but will we even make it that far? :v:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

My threads tend to be fairly dead for the most part, but most of the games that I've done have been ones that flew under the radar on PS2, and often they are fairly self explanatory. I do put effort in though, in Dog's Life I sought out any plot I could find by recording the radio stations and they gave me a few small things to talk about regarding plot details. I'm currently doing a mystery game, so I'm hoping that the later levels will give more to discuss as things get revealed, and I start getting the unlockable plot stuff.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Poor Baldurk. His mom asked everything in the world not to harm her precious boy but forgot to ask the SA Forums. We just seemed so harmless.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I use it to check on LPs that haven't updated in a while, to check if they are Ongoing or actually Abandoned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Ironically I think the censored version of the South Park games makes them better - the only parts that were censored were in ludicrously poor taste and were unfunny and unfun to play by all accounts. Excising them made the game better.