Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
When LP'ing games that work better as hybrid or SSLP games, and which are also text-heavy, it can be nice to have a script dump of some sort so I don't have to screenshot(or worse yet transcribe), every line of descriptive text and dialogue. I know sometimes people seem to just magically produce script dumps even for games I never expected would have them(like Albion, that was a shock AND very helpful), but is there any sort of central database for them or is it just kind of a crapshoot whether anyone's made one and posted it somewhere public?

In particular I'm currently looking for ones for Betrayal In Antara and Return to Krondor, and as far as I can tell I haven't been able to find any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

really queer Christmas posted:

What's wrong with transcribing every piece of inane dialogue from scratch? Lpers these days are too soft :shepface:

For Wizardry 8 it was less bad because it was all voice-acted and most of the voice-acting was, if not excellent, then at least interesting(and some of it was absolutely excellent). For Return to Krondor, likewise, most stuff is going to be voice-acted so I'll just have to get back to posting videos for that.

Worst comes to worst I guess I'll have to, ugh, make an effort and do work which are both, just so you know, absolutely lame.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Eldsluft posted:

I may need some advice... how to make records of old style turn-based combat interesting? Previously I skipped the details and simply post some comment instead but... I dunno. I feel like it was too close to something like walkthrough guide this way.

It depends a lot on what game it is. Like, for some games, often jRPG's(but plenty wRPG's as well), 90% of the actual gameplay is in the preparation for a fight, having the right elemental weapons and resistances up, and then once the fight starts it's just a back-and-forth of damage and healing, with little else to talk about. In those cases, just a couple of screenshots, with a paragraph or two explaining why you handle the fight as you do, what potential pitfalls or hidden interactions are, will do it.

Because honestly while I love a good few games that have that style, the combat in them really isn't hyper-interesting, especially not once you find a stable setup that will let you own nine out of ten encounters without even needing to engage conscious thought for a second.

In some other games, there are a lot of "routine" encounters which are really only worth glossing over, and a few tricky ones where the game actually varies up its formula a bit and forces you to prioritize differently. In the latter it's obviously more interesting, possibly even worth your time to deliver a blow-by-blow.

I think the only game(s) I can think of with turn-based combat where most of the encounters are actually novel and require different approaches would be the Divinity: Original Sin games.

Probably also goes without saying that almost all of this is probably best handled with screenshot LP's, and would probably be a poor fit for video.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Namtab posted:

An unedited vlp of a jrpg has worked in the past with group commentary, with funny groups

I think that's also very much down to taste, because even with duos, I tend to find that finding one that's actually funny and not just an annoying mess, is like... I'd say one in a thousand. And the more people you add to the mix, the worse the odds get.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Looks good so far! I'm hype for another CDDA LP since the last one I was following petered out.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

My Face When posted:

I think the decision to make an SSLP will help with the roadmap and workflow. It'll certainly keep me on my toes.

It helped a good deal when I learned that Irfanview let me save cutting/resizing templates.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Arist posted:

Huh, it does? I did all my mass crops for the Disco Elysium LP using Photoshop batch actions.

Oh yeah! It's great for it, really intuitive, too. Super easy to use.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Rosalie_A posted:

help how do i gif

More specifically, there's a lot of things that say some of how to pull gifs from various sources, but finding a specific answer is hard and time-consuming and also involves scrolling past thirty five and a half pages of HowToGeek.

Here is my use case: I have recorded gameplay (currently in .flv format, but if there's a better origin file type for this I can switch to that), and I want to be able to bring it up, browse around and click "here" and "here", and get a gif of that section ready for either posting or compression for posting.

It's probably the jankiest option so far, but I use:

https://ezgif.com/video-to-gif

It's worked pretty well so far with no issues. Just cut a section of the video that you want to gifferize, giffify, whatever the verb is, upload it, snip and adjust to taste.

Odd Wilson posted:

Mp4s always look insanely good compared to gifs though, both in quality and size, it's amazing how much more efficient they are. Then again, what do you want from GIF, a now ancient file format.

I think a good few of us use lpix and it doesn't take mp4's or files over 2mb in size, a crusty .gif can usually be crunched down to like 500kb or so.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Rocket Baby Dolls posted:

Is there an easy way to add censor bars to a video? I've spent far too long trying to get an extremely lovely adventure game to run knowing full well that this would be an issue and now I've finally found a way to get the game to run. I've watched several videos on how to apply censor bars in Vegas and they've been a convoluted, useless mess.

This game really isn't worth the effort but yet I'm here making the effort.

How long's the video and how much movement is there in it?

I know that Avidemux lets you throw a "logo" over part of the screen for a span, which could easily be a black censor bar. But if the thing to be censored moves around a lot, it can be difficult to do.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

You know, one thing I wish LPix would do, would be to have an option to just copy an entire gallery's worth of URL's into your paste and then slap them into a post, then just adding text, spacing and formatting between them afterwards, because at this point the most tedious thing for me is pasting all the URL's over.

Someone please let me know if this is actually a function that LPix allows for.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

TheMcD posted:

Do you not use an uploader like ShareX that can just give you a list of URLs after upload?

I do use ShareX but I had no idea it had such a function.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oh my loving God.

I've... I've been uploading them all and then going to the LPix gallery, and then painstakingly going right-click, copy link to, ctrl+v in the post for every single image.

Oh my God. Oh my loving God. I COULD JUST HAVE BEEN DOING THIS ALL ALONG?!

Someone shoot me.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Rather than snapping screenshots in-game, I tend to just record everything as a video and then screenshot from that afterwards. That means even if I miss something while playing, I have unlimited second chances to grab it.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

I mean it's usually a simple matter. You include a firm deadline for when the poll closes with the poll and if people try to vote or make suggestions after that then they're poo poo out of luck.

And then if the vote comes down on the wrong side you go: "it's pretty close! so I'll leave it open for another X hours!"

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Nidoking posted:

I think the thing you need to ask yourself is: Why are you doing this?

Huh, you know, I don't think I ever asked myself this.

In hindsight I think it's largely to show off some weird games that kind of defined my gaming childhood/teenage years but which I never see anyone else mention(for the most part), in part to see how much of my love for them was rose-coloured lenses and how much was them actually being good. Plus I like seeing people's reactions to some of the jankier and weirder parts.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Censoring images is fun, too, because it lets you glue any wacky bullshit you want in there.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Psycho Knight posted:

the next wesflagr

Wait, who did I miss here? :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

This is kind of a weird question but I've been thinking of making a new LP after several years gone and a name change, and the game that I would be interested in doing is Red Candle Games' excellent Detention. However, since it is an *incredibly* political game I'm concerned that the thread is going to just fill up with bad posters getting probated for bad posts. Is the SALP subforum, idk, "mature" enough to handle something like that?

My intention is to present the topic as the game presents it, with some historical background on the White Terror on a high level to set the stage. But as I am not a historian I don't plan on getting into the weeds, so to speak. The main focus of the LP is going to be the actions of the characters and their interpersonal conflicts, not the politics.

I think you should generally expect that most of the posters are going to be left-wing, so if the game, uh, glorifies anything right-wing, then it might start a shitfest(and justifiably so).

On the other hand if it actually has a humane and intelligent take on things, then posters might join in to ask questions or expand on things the game/poster touches on, but not start throwing rocks.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I'm at 11 and my brain is already insisting it's time for number 12.

Help.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Danaru posted:

I have like seven finished LPs I need to email Baldurk about but I keep forgetting

I'd suggest waiting a moment, I just emailed him about seven of mine and I fear he might cry if we both hit him at once. :v:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

CirclMastr posted:

Don't make me bring back the Dan and Grace Memorial Fight Club.

Also I have no idea how many LPs I finished because some were never put on the archive due to being poo poo.

I consider anything that people were willing to keep replying to, as good enough to be archived.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Far as I know Imgur also deletes images after a certain age if they don't get regular views, lpix does not.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Please, we need to sticky threads only for pure and ethical reasons.

Like my threads.

So I'll get more attention.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I usually try to limit myself to a certain amount of gameplay, sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on whether anything meaningful happens. Sometimes an hour of gameplay is an extra long update if it's full of plot or new enemies/mechanics, sometimes five hours of gameplay is a single update if it's mostly mindless monster mashing.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

iirc he posted support for Ukraine on Twitter and that caused a bunch of idiots to dogpile him, but he still started an LP for Parasite Eve.

What broke him was Youtube nuking his whole account due to copyright strikes. Years upon years of videos, gone.

I'd stop doing LPs too.

Wow, yeah, that loving sucks.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Oof, I've heard it mentioned before but it super sucks. Why companies gotta be such giant assholes.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Been thinking about maybe trying to do an LP for years now, and I even got an idea of trying to do something with Anbennar, the extensive fantasy mod for the paradox mapgame Europa Universalis 4.

Is there a good guide on how to do a first screenshot lp I could look into?

I'm not sure if there's a specific guide out there, but here's what I would say is important:

Instead of trying to screenshot as you play, record the entire playthrough with a program like OBS and then screenshot from the video. This means you won't accidentally miss something important while screenshotting and have a video you can use if something lends itself well to a .gif or to an actual short video to upload alongside the screenshots.

Screenshot width should be scaled down to about 900 pixels once screenshotting is over, since that guarantees it won't gently caress up the thread when people are reading it.

If you're using Irfanview to do your image editing, it may also be worth employing the "sharpen" filter on low power when resizing, to keep things legible if the original colour palette and design doesn't keep things very distinct.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Thanks for those links! I'll check them out.

I'll also do a test post here when I've got everything organized on my end. Not sure if I should do screenshot or video.

My current plan is to present the setting then have people decide on the region I will play in and I'd have a choice of various countries I think are interesting in that region. Maybe it would be better for me to pre-choose a country in case there isn't a lot of initial interest.

I think I would definitely recommend screenshot for a Paradox game LP.

Also I've yet to see one where, as long as the initial pitch was interesting, there wasn't a glut of votes for country. Though if you have a country in mind you think would absolutely have an interesting narrative, more so than the others, go ahead and pre-pick rather than crossing your fingers that the audience agrees.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

Alright I posted the thread. The die is cast!

https://imgur.com/byisnCG

Don't forget to make a most in the "new LP"-thread to make it more visible.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Mix. posted:

I'm preparing my next LP (one that I will have a lot done ahead of time, for once, since there's no thread participation this time!), but I'm trying to streamline the investigation process this time around to cut down on text (and because frankly I think going 'ok next we click on thiiiiis and then next we click on thaaaaat ok now we're going to click on this ooooother thing' gets dull to read after a while :v:), so I wanted to get some feedback on an early chapter- how does the flow on this read?

I think two things I'd change is that I'd scale down the "dialogue avatars" slightly, maybe 80x80 or something. And if a character has two lines of dialogue immediately after each other, and the avatar change isn't very spectacular and important, I'd just fold them into one line even if the game keeps them as two.

But that's minor preference stuff.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Fivemarks posted:

I'm considering a paradox MegaLP, but focused on Africa. Maybe Ethiopia?

Do you still need to mod out that "rains in Africa" event to make African nations playable at all or did they patch that? Or was the awfulness of it exaggerated?

Anyway I would absolutely love to see Paradox MegaLP set in Africa, it might unironically be super educational, I'd love to learn historical facts and tales about African nations. Personally the more southern the better, though, since it feels like I know Northern Africa better and would love to learn new things.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

It could be interesting, but I feel like it would require a lot of writing outside of what the game generates to really create arcs, storylines, personalities, etc.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Leal posted:

I would feel honored if someone announced my thread for me, cause it shows that someone else is reading it \:unsmith:/

Same. It's always nice to know that someone cares about something you spent time and energy creating.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

One LP usually consumes about 50% of my spare time as it is, I couldn't imagine managing to squeeze a second one in there without both slowing to a crawl, and unfinished projects drive me insane.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I would say, make the character portraits for dialogue slightly smaller, they take up a lot of space.

Also as a personal question/preference, how much do the mods change the actual gameplay? Because I'm fine with following an LP with quality of life mods, I'm less interested if the mods majorly change the gameplay.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Scintilla posted:

This is the first time I've been back to the forums in a while. So how about I jump in with both feet with a MekHQ / MegaMek / PoptartsNinja ripoff narrative Battletech campaign?

OP and stuff: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=162355

That could be pretty rad, I'd definitely be up for following that.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Scintilla posted:

Thanks! It's been a while I know. I've been busy with work and other things, but now I have some spare time so I'm thinking about trying my hand at another LP. This one will probably be my most ambitious yet, but hey, who dares wins.

Anyway, thanks for the advice guys. I've removed all of the timg links, so is this any better? I can probably crop the MekHQ images down further if necessary. The one part of the LP that will definitely need to be timg'd are the unit status sheets and the map files, because they are quite big and contain important information that the players cannot do without, so cannot be reasonably resized or cut down. PoptartsNinja does this for his Battletech LP's, as can be seen here, so hopefully it's not a fatal issue.

Looks pretty good, though I seem to recall a rule of thumb of keeping your images sized to 900 pixels horizontally at the maximum.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

BisbyWorl posted:

That's the size limit for lparchive, if you don't plan on having baldurk put it there you can do whatever you want.

Huh, yeah, you're right, for some reason I had just internalized that as best posting practices. I do think it generally also looks nice on most resolutions, though.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

I generally aim for 80x80, I don't know why, it just seems generally appropriate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Looks good to me! Image sizes seem reasonable, text seems readable and well-formatted.