Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Hi, I'd like to solicit some advice. I've been working on a plan to make a thread/threads chronicling my play through FF14's expansions, starting with Heavensward. For the last six months since I started the game I've been writing about the Realm Reborn base game in the MMO-HMO discussion thread, but since I'm moving into an expansion now we all agreed it'd be a good idea to make a new thread here rather than clogging up the main chat thread with giant spoiler blocks or risking having the game ruined for me by posting in the Spoiler thread.

I've been working on getting several posts ready to launch it, and doing so left me with a small quandary: how much information about the Realm Reborn portion of the game should I lay out before I just launch into the stuff I'm actually covering? Final Fantasy 14 is a story that's all about the little details and set-up and payoff. I know I want to have a Dramatis Personae section that I can update as I go, and that I can use that to share information about my existing character relationships and past events. But in term of the actual plot, would it be better to start with a brief retelling of the ARR plot, something like the Mass Effect 2 Genesis DLC that lays out what I've been through before this? Or would it be better to just begin Already In Progress and pause for asides/flashbacks if I feel like they're relevant or necessary context?

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Fedule posted:

What's throwing me is that, like, normally we are used to a person turning out to have done some extremely bad poo poo, and this, other than to the extent of having farmed a lot of sympathy over very emotive subjects, like cancer and the loss of children, isn't that. This is... the great misdeed is having done nothing, and it is completely removed from why we liked the guy in the first place. Most of us never even heard many of the lies he told. It's all just. As reputation explosions go, this one is just weird.

Milkshake Duck, except instead of being racist the big reveal is that he drops his pants and sings The Old Grey Mare while doing an awkward hobbling dance.

EDIT: Having read further along, I'm real sorry to Speedball for having suffered legit psychological harm from this mess. That sucks. This has been kind of a bemusing spectacle to me more than anything as a recent addition to the LP Forum community, but anyone who TDI honestly hurt deserves better. :(

Sanguinia fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Mar 5, 2024

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Sally posted:

just wanna say that what i am happiest of all for is seeing a bunch of peeps who havent posted in LP in a while here in the Sandcastle. perhaps this bringing of goons together was TheDarkId's real gift to us all :unsmith:

The real Dark Id was the friends we made along the way

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Leal posted:

I have something to admit. All my abandoned LPs? Its because I've been having active gun fights with Blackwater (long story, don't wanna reveal too much) and in all those fights the hard drives containing my updates took a bullet.

Next time just carry around a bunch of bibles, I hear they're great for that.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Fajita Queen posted:

I've always been on the side of fanfic in lps that already have stories being really cringe, but I simply just don't read them if I don't like the writing, instead of being even weirder about it than the lp writer is.

PurpleXVI posted:

I think there's a bit of a limit, personally, though it's always a taste thing. I don't mind when someone adds dialogue to a mute protagonist, snarky asides to the pre-existing companions or whatever, but there have been a couple of times where someone wrote their own, entire secondary storyline to go alongside the existing storyline and it went completely overboard as a creative writing exercise.

I remember when I first got the idea/urge to add some Fanfic to the FF14 LP to flesh out who I was starting to understand my Warrior of Light to be, I was pretty nervous about it, not just because I was putting my writing out there to be skewered, but because the story is the absolute center of that game and I didn't want to tread on it. Still, I felt passionate enough about it to go through with it (and continue to add more here and there when the occasion strikes me) and settled on the compromise of making my writing an external link so nobody had to read it if they weren't interested. I think it's worked out well. The people who like the fanfic bits are vocally supportive of them, and the people who don't can ignore them freely without it impacting their LP reading experience.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

That Little Demon posted:

I had girls send me fanfic models using my in game character of them loving me which was one of the weirdest things I've ever had happen in an MMO :blush:

:randstare: Wild. I've been the center of attention in a couple of MMORPG communities before, but that's... different, to say the least.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Quackles posted:

Lol, he didn’t even need to wait for the translation :v:

Adlai Stevenson approves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

The evolution of my FF14 project from daily-ish 1-3 paragraph blog posts in the MMOHMO General thread to 5-7000 word long-form synopsis and critique once a week was a very interesting journey to live through. I'd not like I planned it either, it just kind of happened.