Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tales of Xillia is the thirteenth in the series of Tales JRPGs made by the now-defunct Namco Tales Studio arm of Bandai Namco, made to commemorate the series' fifteenth anniversary. It's also one of the few games in the series with a direct sequel, but I haven't played that game and it's not important right now. If you haven't played a Tales game, here's what I tend to associate them with: melodramatic stories, characters who are Very Anime, :words:, and tons of plot twists. The games in the series most fans tend to hold up are Symphonia (which is maybe the best game ever when you’re 12 but has aged incredibly poorly and is quite possibly the schmaltziest game in existence), Abyss (which has plenty of detractors but is nevertheless my favorite), and Vesperia (a game that most people seem to love, but that I don't really have much of an opinion on). Those also happen to be the only games in the main series I've actually played besides this one.

While the series' core Linear Motion Battle system remains pretty similar between titles, the changes made in each game keep them all fairly distinct. This game uses the Dual Raid Linear Motion Battle System, a complete mess of a phrase that's only slightly less meaningless than it sounds. The important thing is that Xillia is straight-up fun. I'm not great at this game, but I'll probably end up making a video or two showing it off eventually, and the boss fights will be recorded instead of screenshotted. Yes, this is technically going to be a hybrid LP.

We're gonna see as much of this game as possible, at least the parts that I deem relevant or interesting. This game has tons of sidequests, most of which I will almost certainly excise because they’re all generic as hell. I’m still going to do them, because I’m an idiot, but there’s no point in showing them. As for this game's gimmick, we'll cover that down below in the first update. It's going to suck for me, I'll tell you that.

While it’s overall a solid entry in the series it’s worth noting that Xillia kind of suffers in comparison to some of the others in a few ways. For one, there’s a real dearth of meaningful content, particularly in the endgame. The game’s story is also, uh, something. It’s generic-rear end Tales, sure, but if I was pressed to describe it, I’d have to say it seems… rushed? Even with the series’ requisite jargon abound (though nowhere near as bad as Abyss’, jesus christ), it doesn’t feel very fleshed out, I guess. To say any more would probably end up spoiling something, and while this game isn't as absurd with plot twists as some other entries in the series (again, Abyss, my god), please tag any spoilers. Especially for the sequel. The story in this game isn't great or anything, but I do like it for what it is.

But what does Xillia mean?

Buddy, I’m not even sure how to pronounce it.

Prologue

Part 1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The one with the biggest following there would probably be Stardew.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Images wider than 900px can't go on lparchive.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It all depends on the game. I'm doing an LP with a looooooooot of text so I'm primarily screenshotting just important lines, introductions to scenes, and character action, but you might have less and need to take more just to keep the audience engaged. If an action is overly complex, consider a few screenshots, or hell, even that along with a straight-up description of the action. If that doesn't work, you might even consider a gif if you can fit the file size down.

e: for more complex scenes I'll traditionally capture as many shots in a row as I need to convey the action.

Arist fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Feb 14, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'd say just do a long paragraph and if you really feel the need to break it up take a screenshot on a particularly interesting line or find an excuse for mid-conversation commentary.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That'll get real tiring for the audience to read.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I used quotation marks for my aborted first LP and I don't recommend it, both because of in-conversation quotes and because it's super easy to forget to do it and looks pretty weird even if you do.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not saying he's doing it wrong, I'm saying that it looks bad, is unnecessary, and will get in the way of in-conversation quotes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jamesman posted:

What's keeping you from summarizing instead of doing a text dump?

Ahahahahahaha, I wish this was an option

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My point, I guess, is that there's no reason to have to do that in this format, and it looks worse than not doing it. It's all personal preference, though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

In my current LP I cut out a lot of repeated incidental dialogue for the sake of my own sanity and that of the reader because there's so much pointless filler dialogue based on what you decide to do each day of the game, but I feel that generally the more talking there is, the less you can get away with just skipping, ironically. What I'm saying is that when you get into the kinds of games with massive walls of text where skipping dialogue would be actually helpful to your workflow, it becomes that much more likely that people are reading your LP because they want to read that dialogue. In games with heavy focus on the story and characters, you have to take into account that those elements are going to be draws to the audience, and skipping may bother them.

e: of course, if you're doing something where the draw of the LP is blatantly not the story, rather some weird gimmick or joke or narrative experiment, you're totally free to ignore all that

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

When's the earliest this occurred? I had no trouble a week ago with my previous update, but had to use the test poster for the one I posted today.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I have no idea what kind of LP you're doing but that just kinda feels like too much information for me. I'd totally tune most of that out, maybe excepting the description, because as a viewer I have no reason to read any of those numbers unless there's something particularly notable about one of them. If there is, it's your job as the LPer to point that out.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

All right then. That was just me projecting because I find it weird including even the token amount of enemy information I do in my own LP.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You generally only really need to worry about it with pixel art.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Your thread views aren't gonna be a great barometer of your viewerbase.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I do weird poo poo with my LP mainly because I get bored and don't want the audience to get bored too, so I give them stuff that (hopefully) breaks up the monotony. It is also, I assume, cringy as hell, but I don't let that stop me. It definitely depends on how you're approaching the LP in general, though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

If it's short enough, sure.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Tuxedo Ted posted:

Haifisch in the Ace Attorney thread has been using Clyp for game audio. Anyone else tried it so far?

It's been working fine for me so far, though you're limited to something like six hours if you don't subscribe

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My workflow goes as follows, though I'm far from the best at this and I've still got some quirks to iron out:

-Record multiple hours. It's just easier if you don't have to work with separate files for each update. You do not under any circumstances want to try to get the screenshots while you play, it's just not tenable.

-Capture shots. I don't actually capture every line of dialogue anymore, which was a huge timesink and drain on me, but I capture any time anything of interest happens, including very important lines. The game I'm playing has a fuckload of text and comparatively little character motion though, so that's why. This generally takes anywhere between 30 minutes and an hour for me, but I do long updates. My general feel is about 70 shots minimum, 150 absolute maximum. I often run up against the character limit if I go too long. That said, you're almost certainly going to want shorter updates. I'd say 70 is a good median number for an update, especially for a beginner.

-Create gifs. This is only if you can't capture a moment in a single shot and it would be awkward to do it in multiple or write it out. I generally save these for critical moments to not eat up data. I used to not really do these at all, but they really help get moments across that need motion.

-Upload with Rightload and copy the BBcode links into a word document. Then, copy that into the LP test poster so I can view the images more easily. Then I have the video open in a third window and I transcribe from there.

-Copy character portrait image links over from a separate document. I didn't do this with my aborted first LP (because I hadn't named them correctly making them too hard to sort through easily) and it was part of the reason I abandoned it. Transcribe as you do this. This will easily be the most time-consuming part if your game contains any notable amount of text, especially if the script isn't available.

-Double-check. I am supremely bad at this.

Depending on how much transcription this generally takes anywhere from 3 to 10 hours, though the latter number may be an outlier.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Polybius91 posted:

Sorry if this has already been asked, but are there issues with the LP archive? I noticed it hasn't been updated since July of last year.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

They got rid of all annotations on every video last month.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I LP because I hate myself

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I cringe every time I think about what I did for the dungeons in my P5 LP, lol.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I could never get avisynth working for my own needs.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think that would really hurt discoverability on new LPs.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

We're supposed to like our own content? :confused:

Can confirm that you are absolutely not

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Some questions about the archival process, from someone who has never submitted an LP before but will soon be ready to: What should I do about my "X.5" updates? Will baldurk delete the update numbers himself so they don't conflict with the archive pages? Can I ask for two updates to be combined instead if I had to split them due to length, or is that too much?

e: oh also, in some of my updates I bury the title a few lines in (or even push it to the end) for reasons, what should I do about those?

Arist fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Aug 24, 2019

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Thanks, that helped. I think I'll be fine just making a few changes and submitting now.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I think if there was ever a game that you could do well blind, Disco Elysium might be it. No real gameplay mechanics to gently caress up, for one, and lots of interesting paths to take, many of which are wholly unpredictable. This is assuming you're doing an SSLP and not a VLP, though. It's kind of a lot of reading for the latter, and the text size would be a huge issue. It's also, yeah, a lot for a first-timer.

Note: I am currently doing a DE LP myself. I don't care if you do one of your own, but for the sake of your audience I'd recommend you build your character differently than mine so you get new flavors of dialogue. My character was 3/4/2/3, for the record. As for the text size, I've had to come up with a system where I batch crop all the dialogue bits in Photoshop and manually crop anything else I need with text. Just giving you a heads up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also, when I say "you could do it well blind," note that I am a loving crazy person with no concept of tedium

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't think the archive supports timg either though???

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't see why not. There have been plenty of LPs of Pokemon romhacks, for example.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Strategic Sage posted:

Archiving question; I hope this is the right place for it. If not feel free to box my ears and I will accept my punishment.

So, I try not to be too much of a PITA to baldurk and I'm going to submit a long thread for the treatment and I want to have all my ducks in a row first. I'm not sure how to handle the 'one line, one link' specification, because most of the thread has two links for each update; one for the youtube video, and one for the screenshot update for those who prefer reading to viewing. I don't do it that way anymore but I was for quite a while. Example:

Secrets (40:25) or Read Here

How do I format this so I don't screw up with the archiving scripts, etc. Anybody else ever do this before? If I split it up on two lines for each, that might destroy the single-post character limit which I'm close to as it is, but also would seem to me that it be putting each update in twice - once for the video and once for the screenshot post. If I leave it on one line, with this work for the archive process to be able to grab the correct (forum post) link to put in? Should I do something else entirely?

Thanks for any useful feedback in advance

I would reformat my table of contents so it only showed the screenshot links, and then put the video links at the start of every post.

e: It seems like the latter is already the case here

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The immediate thing is that literally every image is too big. If you want to archive this ever the maximum width needs to be 900 pixels. There's also no earthly justification for your portrait sizes, and you repeat identical portraits for subsequent lines, which just looks bad and doesn't flow well. I would say you probably should aim for square-ish portraits that are no bigger than 100 pixels tall, and that's already absurdly big and I only recommend it if the differences are subtle but you also need the characters' emotions to be read clearly. The explanation of the purpose of the LP that goes in Update "0" (which will also be a problem in archival, take it from me) should also definitely be fit into your OP.

Arist fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 20, 2020

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Fedule posted:

I don't entirely agree with this. There is a cadence to long streams of visual novel dialogue delivered one text box at a time, and it is subtle, though deliberate on the part of the writers. I think it's valuable to preserve this in LP format... sometimes. It's a judgement call. Concatenating dialogue boxes like this should no more never be done than always be done. Personally, I think that in this case the preserved line breaks is the right call, but it's highly subjective.

Maybe, but part of the problem is the portrait sizes. Your eye should not have to travel that far to read consecutive lines from the same character with the same assumed tone of voice.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You should paste the revised update into a new test post, the old one didn't get updated.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

How about this? If the images still don't update for you, try pressing Ctrl+Shift+R to flush your browser's cache.

Much better, yes.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I just finished copying the raw text (because I made edits to the final versions not in my original word documents) of my active Disco Elysium LP and am about to move on to P5R in case we are forced to abandon this place. I don't know if I'll even have the ability to post it again but I'd like to have that security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS is apparently trying to buy him out last I heard