Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

Lacedaemonius posted:

This reminds me, does anyone know of a good way to run an AA pass on an image? Preferably in Paint.net or GIMP, but I'm open to any freeware that can do it.
On Paint.NET, I've been using the "AA's_Assistant" included in this plugin package for years. Just delete the background with a 20~40% magic wand, and run at default settings. The sliders do help for individual tricky stuff like say, a thin gray line on a white background

There are probably more modern ones if you look around their boards, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Only things I see is you edit-cut your own train of thought at 3:08. Your editing and commentary seemed pretty on-point otherwise.
Also, here's a little trick for (occasional) informative on-screen text like at 9:47: you can use a simple sound effect to announce those. Some viewers won't necessarily stay focused on the video the whole time (since FF7 isn't very dense with on-screen info), and that is a nice, friendly way of making sure they don't miss important tidbits.

I almost started my own LP of New Threat but didn't have the time to invest in such a long project, so I'm actually quite glad to see someone tackle it! It's a good gameplay mod with pretty good humor. (Speaking of, there actually was something new, south of the railroad tracks. It's pretty amusing.)

Miacis fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 16, 2017

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!

sincx posted:

I've been working on a subtitled VLP of an extremely spergy game. It's a Japanese air traffic control simulation.

There's a ton to explain, so I have been using lots of long subtitles. But I want it to be interesting and entertaining without being overwhelming.

This is an excerpt (first 6 minutes) from the planned first episode. Are the subtitles okay or are they a bit too much?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxBZw81jfIg
Some of the early subtitles are, as you say, a bit too much, as in they are long without enough time to read them without pausing. What are you using to add the subtitles? If it's a dedicated subtitle editor, it should come with a character/second (CPS) counter that gives you an idea on how readable your subtitles are. 15~17 is more or less the industry standard for subs, but you can definitely push into 20~22 if you're aiming for a video that can may ocasionally be paused. (Especially with the screen so visually busy.)
If you aren't using a subs editor, I'd recommend getting one for a project like this. I really like Aegisub, but some folks prefer the older Subtitle Workshop. They're easy to use, customisable, and free. Also there should be a spell check to avoid the occasional "freqency".

Try to aim for consistency. Some titles are very comfortable to read (2:50 has ~12 CPS subs), and some are impossible (0:29 is above 30 CPS).
Some of the long 5+ lines can probably be split into shorter, 2-3 line ones as well. It will hide less footage, and give the reader less to digest at once.
It's also good to leave some empty frames between subtitles. Persistence of vision is a thing, so at least 0.2 seconds between subs makes reading more comfortable.
Subs up might also want to stay up longer when introducing technical terms or figures, and finally, make sure your line breaks are clean. Lines should end on natural linguistic breaks, ideally at clause or phrase boundaries.

Miacis fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Mar 5, 2018

Miacis
Oct 9, 2012

Get off my lawn!!
Perhaps a bit late for the party on bestiary entries but, whether you do it in text or pictures,

code:
Resistances
Fire: 150      Ice: 100      Wind: 100       Blast: 100
Earth: 75     Dark: 0     Light: 125

Dazzle: 800    Sleep: 200    Poison: 100     Drain Magic: 100
Confuse: 100   Fizzle: 0     Paralyse: 100   Inaction: 100
Charm: 100     Death: 150    Blunt: 100      Sap: 100
Decelerate: 100              Divine Intervention: 100
Please don't keep this sort of nonsense unless it's somehow essential to the game. Even by Etrian Odyssey standards of "I need to know how to take down this random encounter with statuses", this can all be summed up as:

Weak to element: Fire, Light
Resists/Ignores element: Earth, Dark
Weak to status: Sleep, Death, Dazzle

Because in practice, all you need to know is what elements to use and avoid, and what statuses can be exploited. There are always edge cases where some boss will say, be exceptionally weak to an element, or resist everything but absorb Light, in which case you have text for that. But for 95% of enemies, this is more than enough.

Miacis fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Apr 5, 2018