Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Procedure question: I'm eyeing my next LP once Avernum finishes up, and am considering doing Taskmaker, an ancient shareware game. You can still find downloads of the demo freely available online, but it requires a registration code to unlock the full game. I've emailed the dev and I get the impression he doesn't much care about selling new reg codes for his 20+-year-old game. If I were to obtain permission from him to post a reg code in the LP (making clear to him of course that this would basically mean there was another reg code publicly available for everyone to see), how would I go about clearing that with the mods? Just PM a mod with a copy of the email?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
64x64 or even smaller, frankly. Portraits need to provide enough detail to reliably indicate who's talking; anything extra beyond that is largely wasted space. The portraits for my Avernum LP are 45x45 and I don't feel like they're too small.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

IGgy IGsen posted:

Do we have an SALP Discord server? Because I'd like to just have a general hangout that isn't IRC (I can't take people who still use IRC seriously, sorry).

Do we have an SA LP IRC channel? Because there's nothing wrong with IRC. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

(I mean, there's nothing wrong with Discord either, but IRC is the gold standard for group text chat for a reason)

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Artix posted:

I think most LP groups (whether formal or loosely related) have their own at this point (and as mentioned the IRC exists) but I wouldn't say no to an unofficial server. It's not like anyone has to join if they don't want to.

No really, what's the IRC? I wasn't being sarcastic when I asked that. :(

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Polsy posted:

I was going to say it's in the OP, but I guess it isn't this time around. It's #letsplay on irc.synirc.net but it's pretty quiet these days. Chances are the discord will be more lively.

Awesome, thanks!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Where's the option to post untagged spoilers in a thread marked no spoilers?

That menu was for the "LPer" class, you want the "TDI Fanboy" class.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
If you plan on submitting this to the LP Archive when you're done, it has a max width of 900px for images. In general for forum updates I'd recommend trying to keep it under 1024px.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Carbon dioxide posted:

The thing is, some services we commonly use - in my case TinDeck - aren't up to date yet and only support Flash. It still works, but it costs an extra click just to play a soundbite and it's expected that as time goes on, browsers will make it more and more difficult to run flash stuff.

Might be a good idea to start looking into HTML5-supporting alternatives.

I agree, but in this specific case, you know that lpix can host MP3s now, right? As long as they don't exceed the per-file size limit. Should be perfect for soundbites.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Anemone posted:

It's weird because I get really different feedback about that depending on who I ask. A lot of people tell me they like being able to see my face emote, and I definitely understand not wanting to see people too. It's a hard choice and it seems to be a matter of preference for people, so I'm still undecided there. Thank you though!

It's taken as a given on SA that face cams are dumb in the vast majority of situations. The focus is supposed to be on the game, not the LPer. If you do post videos with facecam around here, expect to get thoroughly roasted by the audience, whether or not you're one of the exceptions to the rule.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

HaroldofTheRock posted:

Eh, there are a few here and there that make good use...unfortunately it's a minority. I wish the wiiu took off better, but that's a conversation for another thread.

If the gamepad video didn't interest you, would you still watch the tv video?

Maple Leaf did a successful LP of the WiiU Star Fox game, and only rarely switched in the gamepad view. When he did, he just replaced the normal video view with the gamepad view, so the viewer couldn't see both at once. To me this makes sense; part of an LP is helping to direct the viewer's attention to where it needs to be to understand what's going on, and just permanently showing them two distinct views all the time isn't very helpful in that sense.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

MythosDragon posted:

I remember seeing some kind of image size rules for portraits and images, but cant remember what they were, can someone tell me?

The only hard-and-fast rule is that if you want your LP archived, images should be 900px or narrower due to lparchive.org's layout. Otherwise it mostly depends on what looks and reads well. For portraits, err towards smaller sizes; 40x40 to 64x64 is a pretty decent range.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Randarkman posted:

wondering if perhaps there was any interest for

The OP of this thread posted:

Don't post an interest check. If you don't know what that is, read this whole post.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Be aware that lparchive has a max image width of 900 pixels, so if you go bigger and want to archive, all your images will get downsized to 900px via whatever resizing algorithm baldurk uses.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

sethimothy posted:

In Black Sigil: Blade of the Exiled, a world where everyone uses magic is weary of the one guy who can't.

Note that "weary" and "wary" are very different things.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

The first 11+ minutes of this video are not necessary. Let's Play videos should not be your powerpoint presentation; they should be gameplay. If there's things you want to say that don't have to do with gameplay, say them in a forum post.

For that matter, you do not need to show us how the save system works. We know how games in general work. Your goal is to show off this game in particular.

Audio balance seems fine, you could use some practice in making smooth running commentary though (in that you are occasionally stumbling over your words; not a huge deal). I didn't watch the entire video because frankly it seems like kind of a boring game. :shrug:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

JordanKai, in the OP posted:

: What is a test post? Why should I make a test post?

: Running a Let's Play thread is a lot of work. There are a lot of unforeseen problems that can crop up when making one so it is best to make a test post - it costs you nothing but a little time, and lets you gauge how people are going to react to your thread. This is especially true if you have not done an LP before and have no experience of what issues may come up, but a test post is almost always useful to some extent no matter how much experience you have.

A test post can vary depending on the LP, but usually will consist of an early update. This means it isn't just your OP - since that usually doesn't tell people anything more than what the game is about. It's useful to post your OP as well to give the first update some context, but make sure you post an update.

Also consider that if your first update will not be representative of the whole game (due to excessive tutorial sections or other reasons) then pick a later update and post that. The idea is to give people an idea of what your thread will be like so they can point out potential problems.

You should use the Off-site Screenshot test poster to post your test post if it's an SSLP, so that pages of this thread don't get overloaded with images.

However, even with all the above applying, test posts are not a requirement. Just a very, Very good idea.

baldurk isn't responsible for the sandcastle, just pointing that out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

berryjon posted:

Not enough <blink> tags to be retro. ;)

You're thinking 90's retro, not 2000's retro. We were already using blink and marquee tags ironically by that point.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
When I took submissions for my Avernum LP, I just let people submit for awhile (most of a week, IIRC), and then picked the ones I liked best. You don't need to let the audience decide which of the characters get chosen, and I absolutely would not recommend using a first-come first-serve basis unless you expect to be churning through characters Dwarf Fortress-style.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I think Bowser Face is better than Bowser Body; it emphasizes the size discrepancy between Bowser and the other characters. In fact I'd say the first option (Bowser Face 64x64) looks fine.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
And remember that lpix lets you upload MP3s now, if they're not too big.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I would say more that once you LP a game, you usually have very little reason to go back and play it again. I don't hate any of the games I've LPed, but neither have I had any impulse to go back to them, and some of them were games that I used to play at least a few times a year prior to doing the LP.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It sounds like your head's in the right place. Off the top of my head, the Big Sins of SA VLPs are facecams, reading dialog out loud, and pointlessly filling dead air (like, if you have something useful to say that's fine, but don't just talk for the sake of talking).

If you can, get a co-commentator -- easiest is if you record gameplay sans commentary, and then do post-commentary with someone via Skype or similar. Having someone to chat with goes a long way towards helping people provide interesting commentary.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Pursus posted:

When you say "reading dialog out loud" are you talking about reading text boxes (I do this), or actually talking over the VO (I never do this)?

When games have voiced cutscenes, the "SA Thing" to do is usually to provide two versions of the video, one with the LPers talking over the cutscenes ("uncut"), and one where the LPer audio cuts out so you can watch the cutscene normally. Though I'd definitely understand if you didn't want to go to that much effort, and it's more important when you have a group commentator setup where they're often in mid-conversation when a cutscene starts up.

Reading dialog boxes is a big no-no though. Your audience can already read. If you want people to know what the dialog is, just make sure the dialog box is onscreen long enough for your audience to read it. You can continue to talk during this time; if anyone has trouble they can always pause the video, rewind, etc. If the dialog isn't interesting enough to warrant this (and to be honest most videogame dialog is pretty dull) then you can just say "and this guy here wants us to go do blah" -- sum up the dialog without reading it, so you can move on to something more interesting.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Fedule posted:

Hardmode: has there been an LP in which this gambit has actually paid off?

I remember being mildly amused by the Freelance Astronauts doing extremely bad voice acting for one of the NES Ninja Gaiden games. But it's the kind of thing that was only funny once, and even then it got pretty tiresome by the halfway point.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm looking to do a sort of Freeman's Mind-style subtitled LP of Super Metroid: Eris for the Romhackeria thread. I put together this short video. I'll be heading to the tech support fort for help with video quality and an audio desync issue, but for this thread, how's the subtitle length? I've been using 4s by default with 2s for one- or two-word reactions. Also, does the general concept seem watchable?

EDIT: or maybe I'll figure out the tech stuff on my own, but in any case, general LP feedback on this is welcome.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Mar 30, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm looking to do a sort of Freeman's Mind-style subtitled LP of Super Metroid: Eris for the Romhackeria thread. I put together this short video. I'll be heading to the tech support fort for help with video quality and an audio desync issue, but for this thread, how's the subtitle length? I've been using 4s by default with 2s for one- or two-word reactions. Also, does the general concept seem watchable?

EDIT: or maybe I'll figure out the tech stuff on my own, but in any case, general LP feedback on this is welcome.

I'm gonna guess that the lack of response to this indicates that, aside from the obvious video quality issues, there's nothing obviously wrong. Thanks guys, your [lack of] feedback is invaluable as always. :v:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Thanks, and yes, that's a good point re: baking in a hard subtitle to remind people to turn on annotations. One more thing for me to figure out how to do; I'm not used to doing VLPs!

Once I sort out tech issues and finish subtitling the first episode, it'll go live in the Romhackeria thread. I'll probably announce it in the New LPs thread as well.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Sazero posted:

I support this decision.
Alternatively, only stretch the game in one side of the video and have a letterbox on the other side.
Then proceed to play the game blindfolded while controlling it with a guitar hero guitar. :v:

Use a sinewave distortion to continuously vary how much each row is stretched, varying the aspect ratio from 2:1.73 up through to 64:27.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

lohli posted:

Obviously you should use content aware scaling so that you can make your game footage perfectly fit whichever aspect ratio you like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrBfabBNUzc

My god that's terrifying. :magical:

CirclMastr posted:

Don't forget to spend 500 hours in the starting area.

Your willingness to grind alchemists in ToME 2.3.5 for hours on end, before even leaving town, makes a lot more sense now that I've heard about this.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Teledahn posted:

You're off your ****ing rocker mate.

I wish we could goldmine individual posts.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'd say model yourself after the various challenge/exploit runs of Finals Fantasy 4-6 on the archives. They generally settle for hitting the high and/or memorable points (spoony bards, submariners, etc.) and skipping everything else.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Is anyone else having trouble with lpix.org? I'm getting an NET::ERR_CERT_DATE_INVALID error when I try to load it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
As long as the webms aren't that long, autoplaying is no big deal.

I assume you checked if the webms can be hosted on lpix? I don't know what gfycat's retention rules are, but they're probably not as good as lpix's are.

Your first update looks good; I didn't bother to check the example update. My only critique is that, having personally done a lengthy RPG LP where all of my commentary was in italics, in retrospect I don't think it's really necessary -- all of the non-LPer text will be prefaced by a portrait, after all. So I'd say ditch the italics.

Good luck with the LP! Remember to announce it in the New LPs thread when it launches.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It also sounds like an attempt to subvert the forum system and encourage bumping. The archive cutoff is not that strict; any remotely active thread will have no trouble staying out of the archives.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
The only limit on resolution I'm aware of is that lparchive has a max of 900px horizontal. If you don't care about archiving you can go bigger than that.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Messing with different image files is why I gave up with SSLPs, bloody hell can they go wrong so many ways that appear invisible to the naked eye.

As long as you stick with near-lossless quality all you really need to worry about is the image size. A decent rule of thumb is that images that have a lot of stylized content with sharp edges and flat shading (sprite games, cel-shaded games) work well as PNG, whereas JPEG works better for naturalistic shading, photographs, etc.

GIFs are their own separate nightmare but you should only be using them if you want to capture a short animated segment.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Mraagvpeine posted:

After watching(/reading?) a subtitled LP I had a random thought: are subtitles better at the bottom of the screen, or at the top?

Bottom is the default, and I would assume that it's the default for a reason, but that reason may well pertain to stuff like e.g. how shots in movies are usually composed, which aren't necessarily relevant to videogames*. So I suspect the answer is "it depends".

Certainly if there's important information at the bottom of the screen, you don't want your subtitles to cover that.

* Hell, it could be as simple as "the bottom of the screen is usually darker, providing better contrast for subtitle text". :shrug:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Spikeguy posted:

Thank you so much for the feedback. I think I'll take you up on your advice about opening up a thread here. Just wanted to say, you guys have been super nice. No one has been rude or just told me to gently caress off and leave them alone. I really appreciate the tips guys.

That's because this is the "halp how do i lp" thread. The actual Let's Play subforum is usually pretty nice too, but not always.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Blind Sally posted:

some people just like screen shot lps. it's a stylistic thing.

It's like the difference between text chat and voice chat. They're both useful tools, but you can do things with one that you can't do with the other, and some people have preferences about which they use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Put another way, the essence of a Let's Play is a presentation, or a performance. In either case you have to put a lot of work into deciding what you're going to add to the game, and how you're going to add it. You don't get to just coast on the game's merits.