Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Alexeythegreat posted:

Really gives you (well, me, a 2015 registration) context for how and why the rules that were... were :v:

Yeah. I'm glad the subforum is a lot more chill compared to then, and there's not really a need for some of those rules now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Actually, I believe they may have been Pokemon LPs. There were a couple completed, but they weren't added for a while because there were too many of them on the archive.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Xander77 posted:

"Access denied for user 'baldurk'@'localhost' (using password: YES)"

It looks like all test posts are blocked for the moment.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

7th Dragon is an JRPG made in 2009 by Imageepoch (the company proceeded to go bankrupt in 2015). It was directed by Kazuya Niinou, who also directed the first Etrian Odyssey game. It's pretty easy to see the influences from Etrian Odyssey here, as it has a lot in common, to the point where it feels almost derivative and doesn't really have its own identity. The later games would be much better about differentiating themselves. However, unlike Etrian Odyssey, it's not a dungeon crawler, just a regular JRPG, where you create your own band of characters and go around slaying dragons. Sounds like fun, huh? Anyways, as mentioned before, it is part of a series, which only consists of 4 games. Unfortunately, only the 4th game got an official English release, where the others never left Japan.

That is, until a goon by the name of Pokeytax completed a fan translation of the game in 2014. (And the 2nd game later on.) You can find the fan translation here.

If you're wondering why there are 2 patches for the game, well... I won't lie, the game has some problems. It's very rough around the edges, but the two biggest problems the game has are the ridiculously high encounter rates, and the damage tiles. There are damage tiles everywhere, which take off a decent chunk of your party's HP and dealing with them is very tedious. One of the patches just translates the text, and leaves the rest of the game alone. The USA patch translates the game, but also halves the encounter rate, and heavily lowers the amount of damage the party takes from damage tiles, eliminating the two biggest problems with the game. If you plan on playing this game, please play the humane patch. The game is rough around the edges enough as it is. With that said, I did enjoy my time with the game, and hope to show if off to all of you.

Spoiler Policy

Considering that the only game that was released outside of Japan was the 4th game, and that game spoils all the previous games, I'd appreciate it if discussion of spoilers in any of the games doesn't take place at all.

Table of Contents:

Update 1: The Road Ahead
Test Update

Haven't really LPed a JRPG before, only dungeon crawlers, so I want to make sure I'm doing a decent job at this. Not all the characters in the game have face portraits, so I had to make do with resizing their overhead sprites instead. Does it look alright?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

So Oregon Trail was the start of it all. That explains the Let's Play thread icon.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

VagueRant posted:

Random question for anyone with archives or a good memory. How far did Hellowinter get in their Phoenix Wright LP? Trying to figure out where to resume with Mors Rattus's LP. (Having previously resumed Hellowinter's where Mega64 left off. What a tangled web we weave.)

She only got as far as the opening of case 4. Mors Rattus has reached case 5.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The LP archive has a 900 px width limit on images, so 2x for 3DS games should be fine. Though 1x is also readable from the 3DS LPs I've read.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

LPix has a 10 MB limit per MP3 file, so that's something to keep in mind.

I've been using Clyp to host music links in my LP. It does have a 100 MB limit per file if you don't have an upgraded account.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Non-EuclideanCat posted:

What's the procedure for bringing back threads that fell into archives to finish an LP? Do I just start a new thread and copy over all the important bits?

Yeah, you'll have to start a new thread, unfortunately. Outside of really weird tech wizardry, (which was apparently used to bring back one thread in this subforum, dunno which one), archived threads can't be pulled out.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Dragonatrix posted:

If they're below, I think, 10mb you can use LPix for MP3s but there isn't really any one good spot for them at the moment since Tindeck is in a constant flux of dead-not dead-down-not down even moreso than when it was "good." It's pretty much up to whatever you feel most comfortable using but I think the thing I see most used as a non-YT alternative at the moment is something called Clyp though I can't speak for its viability.

I find that Clyp seems to be working well for me. They do place a 100 MB limit per uploaded track for free accounts, so that's something to keep in mind if your music tracks have large file sizes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Seems to be a change that Google Chrome made with a certain font.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

Really? Because I'm on Firefox and I can see that it's changed.

Huh, didn't hear about Firefox as well. I guess it really is on SA's end.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Bydoless posted:

So I guess here's a draft of the intro post for the Pokemon Reborn LP.

The current draft right now is meant for an individual thread for the LP. DONGS here will be replaced in the following update by whatever the thread votes for.

When we reach the end of the then-current "episode" for Pokemon Reborn, I'll probably follow up with Pokemon Rejuvenation in the same thread since Pokemon Reborn is unfinished and Rejuvenation is directly inspired by it.

You poor bastard, I wish you luck with this. One update in, and the game already looks like a huge trainwreck.

The update itself looks good, though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, I don't think it's really necessary. If it's been 2 months, it'll likely be bumped by the OP already if they really intend to continue it. And if they forget about a thread for that long, they probably had no intention of continuing it anyway.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

HGH posted:

I always thought Tindeck would go first.

I'm amazed Tindeck is still hanging on at this point. It seems to be showing a lot of signs of going on the way out.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Not sure how many of you are aware of this, but if you want to make use of Clyp now, be warned that free accounts are now limited in how much they can upload. You only have 6 hours of storage space on there.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Kanfy posted:

Outside of it being slightly more cumbersome, I wonder if there's anything preventing you from simply making multiple free accounts to bypass the limit.

I just checked, there isn't. Though given the limit was imposed so the site could pay the bills, it's a bit unethical.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Artix posted:

As an addendum to that, I don't know when that decision was made but if you were using it before that, you should have gotten an email saying you were grandfathered in to the unlimited account, so if you've been using it for a while it should still be business as usual.

Are you sure? I'm afraid I got no such email. But if there was a cutoff point it was sometime before 8 months ago.

The decision was made at the end of May.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 16, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Huh, I guess there was a cutoff point, or something? I've been using my account for 8 months and got no such thing.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Putty posted:

I wanna play Super Paper Mario because i am super, roll joints, and am mario, but I remember the game having really long cut-scenes like really drat long.

Do most people watch commented cutscenes or uncommented with a skip option cause I don't want to upload two videos at a time.

Super Paper Mario doesn't have voice acting, so I doubt that would be necessary.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Xander77 posted:

Rock paper scissors had one of the best LPs in forums history.

Seriously. If any of you haven't, give it a read.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

All the games I've LPed were ones I had no intention of playing again anyway, so that's not a big loss for me there. :v: Then again, I don't really have a lot of time to be playing games these days, so there are barely any games that I feel like touching again after beating them. So I personally view LPing them as a chance to revisit them.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jan 16, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Fedule posted:

Clyp rules but costs money per month for anyone who wasn't heavily using it from the beginning. I think you get six hours before you gotta cough up.

And even some veterans were forced to pay. I was one of the unlucky ones who didn't get grandfathered in.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Right now, it looks like the last archived thread had its last post happen on November 19th. No idea if it the limit accidentally got extended, or if archiving broke yet again.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Jamesman posted:

I've said it earlier in this thread, but I feel like SSLPs, by nature, provide a trimmed down experience for the viewer/reader. You're picking and choosing parts of the game to show and deciding on what's most important to share, and trying to convey the most information possible in an efficient manner. I would think that cutting out or summarizing dialogue would go along with that.

Is my mindset wrong here? When you go into an SSLP, what kind of experience with the game are you expecting to have? People are saying things like insisting on fully transcribed dialogue or wanting to give a more complete experience, but what, to you, makes a SSLP a unique experience from a VLP?

Some SSLPs do summarize. It really depends on what the LPer wants to focus on and is ultimately up to them how they want to present the game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Once a day is usually the fastest I've seen an LP update. Any faster, and the update pace tends to get overbearing, SSLP or VLP.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I wouldn't bother with bestiary entries if the RPG isn't significantly gameplay based. I did it for Etrian Odyssey 2 and 3 because the random encounters in that series can be utterly vicious compared to most other RPGs, and actually knowing how to defuse them is a very important part of the gameplay. And even then I still point out the important stuff because I genuinely do not expect everyone to read everything on there. I especially wouldn't bother if it's heavily story based, because that's likely not what your audience is there for. (Granted in your case, it's Dragon Quest, and that's not exactly a series known for being doorstopper novels.)

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 4, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Mraagvpeine posted:

I think the forum archiving might be back.

It has been for a while. It's been set to 4 months instead of 2.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

baldurk posted:

I believe I got all the tindeck audio backed up from archived LPs this weekend. They're available on lpix with a substitution of https://tindeck.com/listen/<id here>https://lpix.org/tindeck/<id here>. So for example https://lpix.org/tindeck/gpqj.

About 100 files have been deleted from tindeck, not much I can do about that, but there's ~9500 that seem to have fetched fine.

I'm going to double check I've got everything now and then replace the links in archived LPs sometime soon. If anyone wants me to backup any tindeck links in LPs that are still live then please email admin@lparchive.org with the subject "Tindeck backup" and with a list of tindeck URLs you want me to fetch & store in the text of the email. I'll run the script on any I get and they'll be available the same way as above.

Note though I'm not going to mirror/regenerate the image link things. Archived LPs already have them fetched, but live LPs are on their own. I'll sort out some kind of substitute for future archiving of LPs with any tindeck links that didn't get fetched.

:eyepop: You do a lot for the archive, and for that, we thank you!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

LordHippoman posted:

Does anyone in the Screenshot LP biz know of a good resource for scripts to games? I'm looking at LPing a text-heavy DS game, but the sheer amount of screenshotting and transcribing I'd have to do is weighing me down.

Psycho Knight posted:

In terms of script files, I'm not sure how easy it is to pull scripts from a DS game directly. Chances are, unless you are lucky enough that someone else somewhere on the internet transcribed it already, then you will need to do it manually.

It depends on the game. There's no universal resource, and not all games have dumps. Though depending on the game, it might be possible for someone to hack in and rip out the script (Assuming there's no custom encoding shenanigans like some games employ.)

I was able to rip out scripts for Rune Factory 2 and 3 easily since those were just stored in plaintext, but other games like Etrian Odyssey use a different encoding format (Just Shift-JIS from EO3 onwards, but 1 and 2 used their own proprietary format), that it might just be easier to transcribe in that case unless someone makes a dedicated tool for that sort of thing.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 8, 2018

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oublietteer posted:

I'm already doing an LP, but I'm thinking way ahead to others I might like to do, and have a question.

I'm really interested in doing an LP of games like Etrian Odyssey, where you make characters that are blank slates, and having the thread suggest names, portraits, personalities, and then giving them life through my updates. For example, Dr. Fetus' wonderful LP of EO3. But I don't have much experience with writing fiction, and I wouldn't want it to be a cringe inducing mess. Can anyone who's done that sort of thing give some advice or link websites that can teach me? Again, I won't do it for a long time, but I'd like to practice.

vilkacis gives some good advice. Probably one of the best things you can do is just to throw your hand in the ring. I'll be honest, the EO2 LP was like the first time I delved into that sort of thing (or any form of a long running serious writing project and it shows. There are several things I'm not really proud of in there) but it did teach me several lessons that made things a lot better for the EO3 LP when it came to the narrative front there. Your writing style will be your own, but if you're starting off, there's no shame in using something else as a base. I started off emulating 100percentjesusfree's style when I first did the EO2 LP, before finding my own voice.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

FairGame posted:

I have a completed LP that I sent a note to Baldurk to about a month ago. He will get to it when he has time, no worries there.

Do I need to worry about my thread falling into SA forum archives, or will he be able to get to it either way?

You do not have to worry about the thread falling into the forum archives for Baldurk to get to it. He'll archive it either way. (And in case you need to do something to the thread, you can ask a mod to pull it out of the forum archives.)

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Oh geez, I was under the impression that the method to necro archived but not in the archived section of the forums was still available. That's going to be very hairy to fix on my end since there were a ton of edits I wanted to make to one of my LPs before I sent it off for archival. But I had to put it off since my life got busy. I was hoping to at least get the bbcode from my LP posts so I could store those for later to edit on my own time, but that might not be feasible now?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Tech Support is fine on its own.

I agree with keeping New LPs stickied and its own thread. Good for letting people know since new LPs aren't like super high traffic on this forum.

Recommendations and request I can see overlapping nicely, so I think combining those can work.

Don't see the need to keep streaming stickied.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The archival time tends to vary when it actually works. Though it hasn't been 2 months in a while for the LP subforum. Believe for a while it got extended to sometime longer than that, though it seems to have been broken for the moment.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

There's also the fact that the LP archive doesn't support images that are over 900 pix wide. So timg has to be used in the case that gigantic images are used.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I thought it just shrunk the image and turned it into a hyperlink to view the full sized image instead of being able to click on it to blow up the image, like on the test poster. Does it really not work at all there?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

An entire update of timgs would be completely tedious for the reader to read through. Find a way to either shrink down the images (900 pix wide is the most the archive accepts), or get the information in them across in another format if that's not a measure you can take for whatever reason. An occasional use of the tag can be fine if there really is no other choice. Constant usage will drive off readers.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

The old PMD2 LP spiraled out of control into something creepy with the thread participation. Helldump also got involved after the creepiness kept spiking, and the LP went down in flames. It wasn't the sole reason for the Pokemon ban, but it was one of the straws that broke the camel's back. The other real issue was that there were a ton of low effort copycat narrative style Pokemon LPs popping up, which is clearly not happening now.

As far as I remember, the LP itself didn't get too bad until the thing kept crumbling down, so it's not of much interest iirc. it was the thread participation that kept getting out of whack. The OP proceeded to make normal LPs afterwards that did not go down in flames like that.

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jul 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

There have even been LPs of game books here. As long as the audience can interact, or it's something you just wanna showcase, feel free.