Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Heads up for those of you that use Clyp as your audio hosting site. It's moving full time to a subscription model starting from December 5th. Admittedly it's only $24 a year, but something to be aware of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah the guideline is more geared towards small typos and issues that are really not worth fixing. He said he'll do so for bigger stuff like misinformation, outdated info, or just wanting to get rid of slurs and such, and old usernames would likely fall under the first two. Like Jewel said, no harm in trying.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Clarste posted:

I did some test pages for an Arknights LP, mostly to test myself to see how willing to put in the work I'd be, but I'd also like some feedback:
OP
Prologue
Mission 0-1

Seems fine aside from that italics break that was mentioned.

vilkacis posted:

Personally i like to use a blank image to indent the text instead of repeating the mug, like so:

I've seen some LPs use this method, and I will note that on smaller monitors or on mobile, that formatting will break slightly and you see some weirdly disjointed text there.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah, at best really monotonous or long methods should just have a footnote dictating what was done. Unless the method itself is interesting or has a ton of high effort involved, there's no need to go into all of it. Especially since grinding can take several hours or several days depending on the method and goal you want to reach. Especially OSRS Runecrafting. :suicide:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yeah it very much depends on the game. Some have scripts out there, and others will probably have to have the script extracted from the game data, and even that may not be easy to pull off depending on how the game files are formatted.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

I feel like there have been enough LPs of similar enough games in the last 15 years that the "un-LPable game" thing doesn't really apply anymore

Also someone actually finished an LP of AA1 and even got it on the archive. It was AA2 where that same LPer ended up stopping in the middle of.

So yeah it really doesn't apply to AA itself anymore.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

4 finished LPs, co-commentated on 2, and 1 currently in progress. None abandoned but there were a few times I nearly rage quit over an LP cause of technical issues.

There’s also quite a few I worked as a “backstage technician” for and helped the LPers get some info and data about the games through giving text dumps or data mining whatever the hell makes number go up and etc..

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 15, 2022

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

I will note webps that use videos or gifs or whatever moving picture equivalents break a bit on some mobile devices (entirely white frames, some batches of frames get corrupted and have splotches of white), though that's the only main issue with them I can think of. Screenshots on the other hand are completely fine there.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

PurpleXVI posted:

I usually try to limit myself to a certain amount of gameplay, sometimes more, sometimes less, depending on whether anything meaningful happens. Sometimes an hour of gameplay is an extra long update if it's full of plot or new enemies/mechanics, sometimes five hours of gameplay is a single update if it's mostly mindless monster mashing.

Pretty much this. I generally try to focus on a specific part of the game and have that be the focal point of the update. Super important bits tend to have the update all to themselves. Otherwise it's a buncha condensed stuff if a bunch of gameplay happened but nothing really meaningful did in those hours.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Every time I tried abandoning an LP it roped me back in. I can’t escape.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

drat, this really sucks.

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Absolutely tragic, it was his Drakengard LP that convinced me to check out Nier and Nier Automata. Heart goes out to him and his family, and I hope he knows he made plenty of things that meant a lot to a good amount of people.

Seconding this. He'll be missed.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

What the gently caress.

These forums are the gift that keeps on giving.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

:psyduck: What the gently caress?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Yapping Eevee posted:

The amount of plot a game has on its own is definitely an important factor. And of course you get your Etrian Odysseys and Wizardrys and such where your parties are all generics, which allow for tons of LPer-created dialogue.

When I did the story mode LPs for the Etrian Odyssey Untold games I didn't bother with a narrative cause hey, the game already did that for me there since everyone's a preset character with 1 silent protagonist per party, and way less work for me!

And also why in the world would I want to distract people from the train wreck that was Untold 1's story mode? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Fajita Queen posted:

We're past the days of pokemon LPs being so overdone and boring that they got banned for a while, but do people actually want to read/watch Pokemon LPs in TYOOL 2024? Particularly romhacks and fangames.

There can potentially be quite a bit to showcase in that regard really. So the answer is most likely yes. Whether good or bad fan projects.