Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

So I'm going to be LPing a visual novel next, but before I can get to work on that, I need to work out a bit of a technical detail: What's a good size for headshots? This is the first time a game doesn't give me fixed headshots I can work with, I need to make them myself (rather annoyingly so by painstakingly editing them out from screenshots, as there doesn't seem to be a sprite rip for this game and the tools that were suggested for extracting data from the game's files don't seem to work with this version), so I've got free reign when it comes to size. I've seen both 75x75 and 64x64 used, but I'm not sure which is the best for me. So I'll just post some pictures and maybe you can tell me what looks best given the source material's resolution.

First, the original - the thick black outline is what I added to kind of hide that the attempt to remove the background graphics is a bit more coarse than I'd like, and even then you can see that a few stray pixels got away:

Now, three different resizes that I had considered.

100x100:

75x75:

64x64:

I'm tending towards 64x64, but that's because of my tendency to go towards smaller images and because I kind of want to hide my crummy image editing. So because of that, I'm looking for second opinions, and once I decide on something, I'll work on cooking up a proper test post.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

64x64 or even smaller, frankly. Portraits need to provide enough detail to reliably indicate who's talking; anything extra beyond that is largely wasted space. The portraits for my Avernum LP are 45x45 and I don't feel like they're too small.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Are you gonna be using them for dialogue? Something may look good with one line of text, but if you get into a bunch of lines you get a lot of negative space. Imagine a full length conversation with this spacing:

Yeah, the negative space was what I was largely afraid of, and that's why I figured I'd get second opinions beforehand. The thing is that by the time I hit 50x50, I felt like things were starting to look kind of rough, with facial features degenerating into a blank slate of skin color.

Even if I crop tighter, that just looks bad to my eyes, but maybe that's just me:

Artix posted:

Either 64x64 or 75x75. I'll echo that smaller is better, but you need to keep enough space to reliably show expressions (unless you don't plan on showing those at all, in which case you can probably swing 50x50, honestly).

Unrelated: I know what game this is and it's gonna be a real interesting ride. :allears: I still need to go finish the second storyline, myself.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do with expressions. I mean, for one, I'd need to infer them for the main character, and I'm not good at inferring. Further, I'd need to create several more of these images, which is kind of an annoying process now that I've actually done it once. A lack of a proper sprite rip is a real pain in the rear end. I'll have to sleep on that question.

...I suppose if I just make them all beforehand, I can avoid burning myself out, since I know I'll have them all done by the time I start the LP. Hm, there's a thought. Then again, how would I know that I got all them... bah.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, thanks for the feedback, I'll keep fiddling with things and see if I can't find something I'll end up being happy with, and I'll eventually be back with the test post.

Jewel posted:

Also, these images are http, you need to host them on a better host, since a lot of people have force https enabled in their settings so they're not going to work, and even moreso; https is going to be forced forum-wide soon.

I'm just using another image host for random testing poo poo like this, once I get into actually working, I'll switch over to LPix - I just want to keep that LPix folder clean. Though I didn't know there was going to be a forum-wide HTTPS force switchover, thanks for telling me that.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Let's go Beyond Communication with Root Double

So, what's all this then?

Root Double -Before Crime * After Days- Xtend Edition - henceforth referred to as "Root Double" - is a visual novel by Regista. The original version was released on XBox 360 and PC in 2012, then the game got an updated rerelease on PS3 and the PS Vita called the "Xtend Edition" with extra content. However, all of this was Japan-only. Then, a campaign on Kickstarter was launched to bring the game to the English-speaking world, it reached its goal of 135.000$, and Root Double found its way to Steam in April of 2016.

Anybody associated with this project I should know about?

Well, it's a game by Regista, which means that Takumi Nakazawa, director of the Infinity series (Never7, Ever17, Remember11) was on board here as director/producer as well. So there's some VN pedigree behind this game. And of course, the Infinity series connection means that Nakazawa has a connection to Kotaro Uchikoshi, who is most known as being the writer/director for the Zero Escape games. And as Danganronpa fans know, having a connection with Uchikoshi means that his ideas somehow end up in your games as well because he's apparently got some sort of parasites attached to him. So if you liked the Zero Escape stories, this one should be up your alley as well.

You seem rather taciturn regarding what actually happens in this game.

That's because I'm a bit hesitant in revealing information about the plot. I've already beaten the game, so I know basically everything - meaning that I'm liable to end up saying the wrong thing too early (I'm not very smart, you see) and since discovering things is a big, big part of the plot, I'm just going to try to let the game speak for itself as much as possible. If you want to know the gist of what the game will revolve around, just read the first updates. The game will set the stage well enough for you.

Then, what's the LP going to be like?

Standard fare screenshot LP. There's a couple videos, but otherwise, there should be nothing out of the ordinary here. After all, this game is actually in English for once, so I don't even have to translate anything. There will be voting, but that will be explained once the game brings up the particular mechanic that voting will revolve around.

Everything that comes from the game will be in regular font, and my comments during gameplay and descriptions of happenings on screen that can't be put into screenshots will be in italics. Also, in dialogue, regular text is the characters speaking, (and text in brackets is the characters thinking).

How about a spoiler policy?

NO SPOILERS, EVER. Not even under tags. The story is the one thing that keeps the game going (obviously), so experiencing it as fresh as possible is the #1 objective here. If you have already played it (and if so, you're apparently a part of a relatively small club), just sit back and enjoy the potential for horribly wrong conclusions for people to come to and people gleefully stumbling into bad ends you've already seen.

What's "Beyond Communication"?

You'll see.

I don't think there's anything else to be said, so let's get into the action!

ROUTE A - AFTER

001 - Prologue
002 - Format

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Artix posted:

Looks good.

Alright, that's good enough for me, so the thread is now live.

Artix posted:

Now I'm debating whether I should power through the rest of the B route myself or just wait for you to get there in 6-12 months. :v:

That question I cannot answer for you - though yeah, it'll be quite some time until we get all the way to Route Before, especially since I'll be having the thread vote on SSS inputs, which adds an extra delay. I'm not sure I'm up for the longtime committment I've just invited upon myself, but if I managed to force myself through Antitribu Mod, I can do anything.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Ariamaki posted:

The OP suggests coming here with Archive-related issues: I've been trying to find a way to submit / suggest finished LPs for archiving for a while now, but haven't found a way (submitting to Baldurk via the LPArchive admin email address never gets a response).
I'm a bit worried about some older high-quality LPs like Luisfe's SMT Strange Journey which haven't gotten archived.

Baldurk generally only answers once he's gotten a draft of the LP up on the archive site, which can take a while at times. I've never had an issue archiving any of my LPs by simply waiting a bit. poo poo just takes time.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Aquasnake posted:

I think this is the thread that I need. I require Non-Technical LP support. I am hosting the Let's Play Mirror's Edge Co-op thread http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3775454&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1 and uploaded my second to last video to Youtube just now but when I went to post an update my thread had been locked for archiving (I'm assuming due to lack of act of activity for almost 3 months.) I wanted to finish my LP before 2016 ended but now I'm not certain as to how. I assume I need to get in contact with a mod or something but I'm not certain how moving threads to the SA archives work.

Please send help. Thank you.

I'm pretty sure that once your thread is locked for archiving, then it's curtains for that thread. You're probably going to have to make a new one, even if it's going to be done in two videos.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Supeerme posted:

Ok it seems that the songs are way too large, (like 40MB+ WAV for some reason.) So I will have to upload it onto youtube. I will use both gif and webms in the test posts so we can choose which is better.

I mean, you could always convert the file to something more compressed, but going with YT is usually a pretty solid bet for game music.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Kanfy posted:

Hello, I was looking around and noticed that nobody had done an LP of the Shadowrun Returns game(s) yet.

Oh, good, now I don't need to think about making an LP of these games. Thanks for scratching one off my ever growing list.

Anyway, yeah, apart from the mentioned issues (LP archive image size limit, audio links seem broken, portrait size being a bit large), I think you're pretty much good. It might have been interesting to see how you'll do combat - when I was considering doing an LP of this, I toyed with the idea of making the actual shadowruns videos and the inbetween bits screenshotted, but it can work both ways, it's just a matter of execution.

I'm definitely going to be joining this thread.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Leal posted:

So I see that youtube has gutted annotations, is there no way for me to pop something up in the video that people can click on to skip to a different time in the video?

Well, apparently Youtube thinks that their new Cards feature is way better, but from what I can tell, it doesn't fit this case that well. It doesn't pop up automatically, though I think you can at least allow people to find a timestamped link that skips to a certain part of the video in the cards. That, however, will be there in the entire video, and if you want to do multiple skips, it's going to turn into a mess. Also, you'd have to tell the viewers how to use cards in the video because I assure you, nobody knows how this poo poo works yet.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Commander Keene posted:

Most people here use either Tindeck or just search Youtube and use what comes up there, I think. However, IIRC, lpix also hosts music. I think the reason people don't use it much is to save on Baldurk's bandwidth, though.

It's probably more that the limit on LPix is 2 MB for files, so uploading music isn't exactly a great idea unless you really want to compress that poo poo. It's more for uploading small sound clips.

Personally, I upload music for my LPs to Youtube. I have control over my channel and know what happens to it, which I don't have with using videos from other channels. Also, I can unlist my videos and not give them any tags, which I believe ends up turning off recommended videos. Not sure about that, though.

EDIT: By "turning off recommended videos", I mean *related* recommended videos. At least on my Root Double BGM videos, all I get are general recommendations based on public videos I've previously seen and my subscriptions, but nothing related to the game. Related recommended videos can be annoying because they can have spoilers.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 3, 2017

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Sandcastle notes: I guess that I don't necessarily have to run this by the Sandcastle, since I should have this system down pat by now, but there's no harm in doing so. I'm primarily wondering if everything looks good, in particular the sound of the soundtrack videos, which might be iffy since this is the first time I'm converting MIDIs. This first update doesn't have any actual gameplay, but the second one would also only have "gameplay" in that you can walk around, so really, not much different there - though if you want me to, I can crank out the second update over the next few days for you to check out as well. Anyway, here's the OP.

Parenting Problems Through Permanent Puberty: Let's Play Vampires Dawn II!

This is Vampires Dawn II: Ancient Blood, the direct sequel to Vampires Dawn: Reign of Blood. It's a German game made by Alexander "Marlex" Koch, and was released in 2005. The game was made with RPG Maker 2003, so the basic engine hasn't changed much, with the exception of the battles, which now run on the Active Time Battle system instead of the "everybody acts once, with the order depending on their Speed stat" system the first game used. Apart from that, the sequel has expanded the gameplay with a fair share of new systems, the maps have gotten bigger, there's a lot more custom assets... really, everything has gotten more. In my opinion, Vampires Dawn II is the apex of the German RPG Maker scene's renaissance that happened around this time, which I've brought up a few times before in other RPG Maker game LPs. This, to me, is the biggest release there ever was for German RPG Maker games.

So is this going to be a translation LP again?

Actually... no, and I'm as surprised by this as anyone. But here's the thing: In August 2016, an English translation of Vampires Dawn II was released. I gave it a look, expecting it to be of similar quality to the one of the first game, which had a few too many mistakes and rough translations for my tastes. And it turns out... it's actually solid! There's the occasional hiccup in there that I would have made sure to iron out if I were doing the translating (but that's largely because I'm a stubborn guy like that), but by and large, the translation is perfectly solid, and hey, they even translated all the graphics into English! As such, I'm going to be using that translation, because hey, that's going to be a TON less work for me. Less work is good. Don't worry, though, I'm going to make up for it.

Alright, so tell us more about this game.

Well, it's a relatively standard JRPG - as you might have guessed from it being made with RPG Maker - but it does have a few tricks up its sleeve that are quite interesting, most notably a strange sort of strategy game you get to play throughout the game, which is definitely something I hadn't seen from similar games. However, overall, there isn't much to be said about this game that doesn't apply to the predecessor, just in bigger, better and shinier form.

What do I need to know before going into this one?

First of all, my LP of the first game is required reading. This is a direct sequel, so this is not really negotiable. The game does have a very quick recap at the start, but it doesn't exactly compare to actually seeing the entire game. Second of all... actually, I can't think of much else. Maybe read Unterwegs in Düsterburg too? It's another German RPG Maker game, and while it isn't directly related, if you liked Vampires Dawn, you'll like Düsterburg, and I'll probably refer to Düsterburg occasionally as well. Otherwise, since this is not actually a translation LP, this is probably going to be just a completely bog-standard SSLP of a JRPG. You should know what you're getting into.

So really, let's just cut to the chase and get this show on the road!

Update I - The Framing Device So Nice, They Used It Twice

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Agreed. Looks good, McD.

Alright, two :justpost:s in here, one :justpost: in the Discord, and nobody brought up any issues. Good enough for me, the Vampires Dawn II thread is now live!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Janissary Hop posted:

I was going to a LP of Age of Decadence, but then I discovered this thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3722993&pagenumber=20#lastpost

It's unfinished and "locked for archiving." Does that mean I can go ahead with my LP?

You know, you don't have to wait for another thread to die to LP the same game.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

DoubleCakes posted:

Also, what's the point in the Let's Player in reserving the second post in the thread? For extra posting real estate?

Pretty much, yeah. It comes in handy for stuff like reader posts you want to save, but not directly in the OP. Also, sometimes 50K just isn't enough for your OP - ask me about it. I solved this problem in my case by using the test poster, though.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Darth TNT posted:

Quick question: earlier this year I had a partnership with PcSnob in doing a Heroes of Might and Magic 2 LP. We made it a long way, until real life got in the way for me and we let the thing fall into the archives by accident. However, I'm back and he is fortunately still willing ready and able.

Is it allowed to just repost everything and continue along where we left off so people without archives can read everything? Or is there a better way?

Reposting is standard procedure when you revive a thread from the archives. Just put the updates you've already done into the test poster so you don't start out with a million updates and then keep going as normal.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

When it comes to screenshots, I have a simple set of rules.

1) When it's dialogue, I screenshot the first line, then transcribe everything unless something happens on screen.
2) When I end up in a new place that is either fairly different from where I last was, or if the audience hasn't seen it before, screenshot it.
3) When something is happening that involves motion, figure out if I can GIF it first (applies largely only to sprite-based older games that compress really well), then figure out if I can describe it adequately instead. If neither applies, take a couple screenshots and describe as necessary.

Those three rules usually resolve any question I might have to "do I want to screenshot this", though at this point, it almost entirely runs on instinct with me.

And yeah, the optimal way to go about things is to capture lossless footage and then use that to take screenshots from. That way, you're 100% certain you'll get the images you want.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, so, the presentation is going to depend on how important the bottom screen is for the 25% of the time. Will the focus of the viewer be on the bottom screen when it is important, or is it a mixture? Or is the bottom screen just additional information that is good to have and shouldn't be ignored?

Basically, what I'm thinking of is something I saw Vinny from Vinesauce do with Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow, a DS game which fits the mold of "the second screen isn't important, but should still be there". The result is this:

The screen where the main action is gets blown up and put center stage, and the secondary screen gets relegated over to the side. I really liked this presentation - it's simple, yet it works.

I *think* you can pull this off in OBS by using multiple sources and crop filters, but I'm really not too big on the VLP side to know the details of the implementation. If you were doing a SSLP, it'd be a different story.

If the second screen is the focus of attention when it's relevant, then things might get trickier. Again, though, I might not be the best source of information for best practices on VLPs.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Back when I did Root Double, I had a similar problem - plain text with no portrait was simply narration from the game, and it happened fairly often, like it would in your scenario there.

I don't think there's a way to clearly distinguish your commentary from the other non-portrait normal text without changing the font on one end. I went with italics for my commentary, and it worked fairly well.

It's all just a matter of staying consistent.

Also, personally, I'm a wall of text kind of guy. If some guy just waffles on for a while, then I'm just going to make one big block of text out of it. I've never had any complaints.

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Mar 3, 2018

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Kanfy posted:

Anyone else been having problems posting larger updates these last couple of days? I get a connection timeout every time my post goes past a certain length, and I had to divide my last update in two to get around it (and even then it took a few attempts).

Yeah, the Super-League thread, which has a long update every day, has been required to split updates in two for things to work for a few days now. They couldn't even edit the OP anymore, which had apparently also gotten too long for it to take. Something's hosed.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Enchanted Hat posted:

Hey guys, I'm doing a screenshot LP of an old PC game. I've made a test OP and first post, would you mind taking a look to see if there are any amateur mistakes in terms of image sizing, format etc.?

Test OP: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=151477

Test post: https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=151476

Oh my loving god, Restaurant Empire. That takes me back. Definitely going to be following that LP.

Anyway, I didn't see anything egregiously wrong. Images are JPGs with acceptable file sizes, so that's all OK. The one thing you might want to account for is that the LP Archive has a fixed width limit of 900 pixels, while you're currently clocking in at 1024, so if you want to have your LP archived when it's finished, you might want to size your images down a bit to make Baldurk's job easier.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

My workflow is pretty similar, though there's one critical difference from what I'm seeing.

I never, ever would be able to take all screenshots first and write later. I always have the video source I use to take screenshots open and write the update as I watch the video, taking screenshots as I go along and inserting the placeholders I will be replacing later. To me, it's just so much more efficient, and it reduces the chance of making an error with filenames when you're entering the filename twice in a row right after each other.

I have one particular thing to say though. For the love of God, do your research into tools before you start. There are so many things that can make your work easier if only you know about them. These include but aren't limited to:

- GIF Movie Gear (editing and optimizing GIFs)
- RightloadURLAutoReplace (automatically replacing placeholders with links)
- Capture2Text (optical character recognition, automatically making characters that can be pasted into an update out of an image that has text)

Using the right tools can make your workflow significantly more efficient, and can make you much less likely to burn out.

I know they've been brought up before, but it just can't be understated how important it is to know your tools.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

QUESTIONS FOR THE SANDCASTLE:

- Is everything alright in a technical sense?
- Do the headshot images look good? (I hope so, I already prepared a ton of them)
- Is the way I'm transcribing the cutscenes OK?
- Do the videos look good and is the way I'm putting them into the updates noticeable enough?
- Do the images look alright? This is my first time without capturing at lossless quality, and I might have hosed it up.
- Anything else?

-----------------------------

This is Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls - henceforth referred to simply as Ultra Despair Girls or UDG for short - a spinoff of the Danganronpa series released for the PlayStation Vita in Japan in September of 2014 and in the other regions in September of 2015. It was then ported to the PlayStation 4 and Windows PCs, with those ports being released in June 2017. I'll be playing on that Windows port for ease of recording, by the way. Anyway, contrary to the previous two games' visual novel and puzzle mixture gameplay, this game takes a bit of a departure from that, mixing the visual novel segments with third-person adventuring, incorporating both shooter and hack-and-slash elements.

...they made a Danganronpa third-person-shooter?

...kinda, yeah. I promise it's not as bad as it sounds!

I heard some really bad things about this game.

Yeah, the reception for this game has been, uh, let's call it controversial. It's not all that well liked. Which might make this LP a bit awkward, because I really like this game. I feel like I have to say this beforehand so there's no wrong expectations about what this LP is going to be, because I'm fairly sure that there's a decent part of the potential audience here that would have preferred a teardown over what I'm going to present, which is more going to be showing off what I love about this game with a generally positive tone. So, just so you know.

Is there something I should know before going into this game?

Well, the game just expects you to have played the first two games - Trigger Happy Havoc and Goodbye Despair. As such, you should know what happens in those games. If you don't, FPZero has you covered with LPs of the first game and the second game. Note that the thread for the second game starts dropping spoilers for UDG after the conclusion of the game, so be aware of that.

Speaking of spoilers...

No spoilers. loving period. Not with tags, not with anything. No spoilers. Stuff relating to DR1 and DR2 is obviously fair game, since UDG assumes that you've played both, but UDG and everything afterwards (which is mainly DR3, the anime, and DRV3, the third mainline game) is completely off limits. I will be anal about this.

One caveat to that rule: If I, by virtue of being an eternal fuckup, spoil something by mistake, do not point it out in the thread. Maybe send me a PM or something, but don't point it out directly in the thread, since all that does is just draw more attention to it. I will be paying extra attention to not loving up in that manner, but I've learned to never assume that I'll be able to not gently caress up.

Alright, so what's the LP going to be like?

Hybrid style. We'll have mainly screenshot stuff with some videos interspersed to show off particular segments, be they dialogue sections, animated movies or gameplay. Videos will be designated with this type of image:

Also, because there's going to be a lot of videos, I'm going to institute a sort of "seal of approval" thing. Videos that I particularly think you should watch will be designated with this type of image:

Note that during the first few updates, there will probably be a larger amount of videos with the seal of approval - it'll go down when we get into major gameplay. Also also, I have an icon to signify that a character is talking in a voiceover. It looks like this:

Otherwise, it shouldn't be anything out of the ordinary. And with that said, let's get this show on the road!

Update 1

TheMcD fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 22, 2018

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

I'd say I'm surprised.

But I'm not.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I do appreciate that you asked specifically if everything looked all right in a technical sense. :allears:

I mean, no sense in asking questions I already know the answer to, right?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

FPzero posted:

In a technical sense the LP looks fine but I have a few suggestions. Screens feel big but that's probably because I'm used to my 640x360 images. Probably not an issue though.

I went with 900px width because I had it in my Root Double LP, and it worked well there. Should also help a bit with higher resolution displays. Dunno if mobile devices would have difficulties, though. Never really had to consider that.

FPzero posted:

The "Meeting Byakuya Togami" video didn't start playing video until a few seconds in, though the audio did start. It might be a bit of a hassle to record but might I suggest turning on subtitles for the videos? Or just making sure that the voice volume is set higher than you might normally play with it at just so that everything comes across clearly without the music and sound effects drowning out the speech.

Also, I think you have the Byakuya video a little too low down in the update considering it starts when Komaru is running to the elevator but you put the link after he's already shot the Monokuma. Makes the viewer re-watch part of what they've already read.

I can't find a subtitle option in the game. I don't think it exists. If somebody knows if there are subtitles for the cutscenes in this game, let me know, because they'd help a lot.

I've already recorded all of the prologue, so the audio would be a bit soft on the voices for the rest of that part, but I'll make sure to turn down the music and sound a bit more. I also re-cut and re-uploaded the Meeting Byakuya clip and made it start at the point where I put it, so that should fit now as well.

vilkacis posted:

Maybe get rid of the piece of... hair? floating in the upper right corner? Its existence bothers me. :saddowns:

I went ahead and edited all of Komaru's headshots to remove the little blip of her Ahoge of Protagonistness.

The post I made is now edited to take those changes into account.

Anything else?

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

SoundwaveAU posted:

The only subtitles Ultra Despair Girls has in cutscenes are if you play the game in Japanese. So if for example a character says a line that you just can't make out or transcribe accurately, you can give that a go.

Absolute next level would be overlaying English audio over the Japanese video so it has the subtitles, but I don't think that's necessary.

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to go that far, but I'll keep it in mind if I run into a line I can't figure out, thanks!

SoundwaveAU posted:

By the way, very happy to see a LP of Ultra Despair Girls. I like it a lot. It has a bad reputation, definitely partly earned, but a lot of people seem to ignore the good. Unfortunately its reputation precedes it to such an extent that I've talked to a lot of people who were adamant about its low quality, only for them to reveal that they've actually never played it. :(

Hey, at least that makes two of us! One more than I thought I'd have!

SoundwaveAU posted:

Not sure how you're planning to tackle sprites but I'd recommend giving us a full screenshot for any new sprites that show up? Obviously not all the time such as in situations like that Byakuya/Komaru conversation or it'd be full screenshots for all the dialogue as the characters are having a conversation in the overworld for the first time and thus all their sprites are fresh.

I'll have to see how I want to do this, because yeah, early conversations would just turn into a total screenshot-fest that way. I think I'll just have to play this by ear, fly by the seat of my pants, all that good stuff. Not that that would be a change from my usual LPing modus operandi.

SoundwaveAU posted:

Screenshots overall are good. Especially for the anime portion, which is the hardest to capture in screenshots. I don't know if this is in the cards but I think you should also include an icon or something to highlight new music tracks that haven't played before. In addition, don't be afraid to interject with your thoughts on certain tracks or anything else. It's your LP after all.

I did find this nice thing in the sprite rips from Spriters Resource:

So I'll be using that to designate new music now. I edited the post with that in mind, and also gave some additional thoughts on the music which I wanted to add originally but somehow just forgot. I edited all that stuff into the test post.

I'll leave the test post sit there for a few more days before I'll post the thread. One last thing I need to figure out is the thread title. Current tendency: This IT Startup Is Making A Killing - Danganronpa: Ultra Despair Girls

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Epicmissingno posted:

Why would you play Conception 2? Why?

Because the LP subforum is filled with people making very bad decisions.

In entirely unrelated news, the Ultra Despair Girls thread is now live.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Hey folks, I'm looking for help finding an old LP. It was for a game where you play some office worker who died and went to Hell, which is structured like an office, and you need to escape somehow. Sadly I don't really remember how it played, might have been kind of adventurey? I think it had a kinda cartoony look.

Just to be sure, you're not thinking of Escape From Hell, are you? It's not a complete match, but kind of similar to what you're asking for.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, time for my next LP. I'm looking for the usual stuff - anything outrageously wrong or something like that? Something particularly dumb I did I should know? And so on.

Baseball, Zizek, Hentai and Twitter - Let's Play The Closer!

This is The Closer: Game of the Year Edition (The Closer for short from now on), a RPG Maker game released by Redbird Menace in 2015. It is a game about the trials and tribulations of a young rookie pitcher that was made the closer of his team and loses Game 6 of the World Series. As a result, he has to go on an epic quest to remake himself as a pitcher before Game 7. Furthermore, Slavoj Zizek, a hentai game, Twitter, and secret societies are involved, amongst other things.

What?

Yeah. It gets kinda nuts. Also, if the mention of the word "hentai" has your alarm bells ringing, don't worry, this game is clean.

But I don't know anything about baseball!

Relax. I'll try to help you out. The first update - update zero, as it were - will be dedicated to me trying to explain the basics of baseball. Furthermore, I will take opportunities during the gameplay to explain further things that become relevant so you know what the game is talking about.

So, uh, what is this game, then?

Well, it's basically a JRPG type game, as RPG Maker games tend to be. However, the battle system has been somewhat revamped. Furthermore, the gameplay in this game isn't the focus. This game is made by somebody who mainly considers themselves a writer, so that is very much where the focus lies, and what makes this game great. Honestly, the easiest way to get a feel for how the game operates is to just read the first proper update.

Let's not gently caress about any longer, let's just get into the game!

Update 0 - Talkin' Baseball
Update 1 - Game Six

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Alright, the feedback from here and from the Discord has been positive, so the thread has gone live!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hey, I have a test post!

This is AI: The Somnium Files, a visual novel / puzzle type game by Spike Chunsoft, released for the PS4, the Switch and the PC in September of 2019. It was directed by Kotaro Uchikoshi.

That Uchikoshi?

That Uchikoshi - most known for directing the Zero Escape series and mind-melting plots and twists therein.

So what's this game about?

Well, as far as gameplay is concerned, we're looking at a game that mixes the investigation segments from Danganronpa (look around an area from a fixed position, checking out items in the scene and talking to people) with strange puzzle segments where you have to search for solutions to problems in people's dreams, with all the bizarre dream logic that follows from that. It actually works really well.

As for the story, you play detective Kaname Date, an investigator with a cybereye that has a revolutionary AI named Aiba (short for AI-Ball - get it, AI-Ball, eye ball?) in it that helps him in his investigations. Date and Aiba begin the game investigating a murder, and things just repeatedly escalate from there. It's an Uchikoshi game. Expect poo poo to get nuts. Also expect lots of AI / eye puns.

And what about the LP?

In a departure from what I usually do, this LP will be done in video form with subtitled commentary. I thought a lot about it, and I eventually came to the conclusion that this format has more benefits than a standard VLP (the voiceacting is really good and the game is a lot more "active" - there's a lot going on that is more difficult to convey in screenshots) and also avoids some serious drawbacks (the dialogue headshots use the same 3D models as the characters themselves, meaning there is no sprite rip, meaning I would've had to manually cut out all those expressions, meaning I would've thrown myself out a window halfway through). I will obviously be editing when necessary.

Spoiler pol-

NO NO NO NO NO! NO SPOILERS EVER! And don't even think about being cute about it. I can tell. I've been that fucker that gets cute about spoilers. I've been him several times within my own LPs. I know. No spoilers, not even under tags.

Anyway, with that said, let's get going.

This is a link to the first video, I might make some graphics for it later but not now

Sandcastle notes:

Well, this is the first time I've ever done anything with video beyond "record, maybe cut something out, and dump it onto Youtube", so anything I hosed up is good to hear. In particular, I'm still worrying if the subtitles are readable because I can skim really fast and I can't assume anything from that.

Also, I noticed that I said the BGM gets a bit heavy on the "default language", which makes no sense. So don't point that out.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hwurmp posted:

Any plans to link the Lemniscate YouTube videos?

I'll have to actually check them out and read up on them first. I've heard they're part of some ARG, but that's about all I know at this point.

klafbang posted:

I find it simultaneously a bit barren and too busy.

You have subtitles while the game is showing text, which makes it hard to decide what to follow. Maybe hold back while the game is speaking and don’t advance the game when you are? Speed of subtitles is otherwise fine.

At the same time, investigation is very quiet, just a bit of clinky-clanky music. You say there will be more dialog later, so it may not be a problem. I can just see myself slightly zoning out during these bits and not catch the text. Might just be me, though.

Should otherwise be interesting, though!

The main problem is that I record, and then I do the subtitles. I don't plan out the subtitles beforehand because otherwise my recording sessions would become a lot more complicated. Instead, I let the auto text advance do its thing and work from there. I'll have to see what I can do about having subtitles while the game is showing text, because the game is showing text most of the time. Those kinds of lulls aren't that common. On the other hand, the quietness is kind of intentional. I'm very much going with "if I don't have anything to say, don't say anything" and am not against leaving dead air.

I can however be pretty certain in saying that if there is something important being investigated, there will be dialogue. So you can at least notice that way if you should be paying attention.

Anybody else have some feedback? I'll take what I can get right now.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Nidoking posted:

I had issues with subtitling as well, when I started using them. I think you really have to get into the habit of leaving a bit of dead air intentionally for subtitles, whether you plan to use them or not. Thinking ahead and planning when you think you'll have something relevant to say is extremely helpful, but at worst, you leave a bit of a gap every time something interesting happens and then don't say anything. It gives the audience a bit of thinking time.

I'll have to see how I can make that work. I'm relying on the auto text advance to leave the non-spoken text on screen long enough to read, meaning I'd probably have to repeatedly turn it on and off, which could get annoying. I guess I'll just have to manually advance text and hopefully get it right.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Hey, I went back and edited the first episode down a bit to reduce the amount of dialogue / subtitles crossover, and made a second episode with that feedback in mind. Also, I made some pictures for the videos. Could somebody take a look and see if this improved things somewhat, or if there's still something I should work on? It seems like the second episode has a fairly low amount of commentary, but maybe that'll just be the way it is.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

klafbang posted:

Thanks, it's easier to follow and it didn't feel like too much was missing. It felt fine with the level of commentary, IMO. I assume there will be more time for commentary once the tutorials are over anyway. I'd say good to go, and looking forward to it.

Well, it's drat good that you think I'm good to go, because I just now went live with the thread. Would've been quite awkward if there still was stuff to fix. Thanks for the feedback!

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

The LP Archive's maximum width before thumbnailing images is 900px, and you're under that with your original resolution. I would say that anything below that limit is fine. Unless you're doing, like, 5000px height. But you're not.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

As far as I'm concerned, yeah, the subtitles are very hard to read at the 600px resolution. Of course, the game isn't doing you any favors with the font.

Anyway, non-integer resizing is mainly a problem with old games with less detailed graphics where the pixels end up looking weird. If you're doing resampling rather than simple resizing on a modern game, non-integer resizing is fine as long as you maintain aspect ratio.

I'd say go with 900px and see how that works out. That's the maximum resolution for regular images when it comes to the LP Archive, so 900px is a good width to shoot for in general.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

For reference, I did an LP of The Closer (it's on the Archive) where I did a whole lot of baseball explaining. You can check that out and if you want to crib some of it for your LP, you're more than welcome to. No need to do the same thing over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

McFetusBurger posted:

Edit: Is it alright if I include a link in the OP to your update zero in addition to what I've put together?

Sure, go ahead. If you want to grab some stuff from the updates where I go over particular stats and rules when appropriate, you can do that too. We don't need two people to explain the balk.