Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

ricdesi posted:

Every weekday, we will be spending another 15(ish) minutes

This game is absolutely gargantuan, and we intend to inspect every inch of the place, but we want to take it at our own pace and really soak in the environment.

These two really don't mesh. If you're not doing hour long videos, it'll be at least three weeks until you get out of the starting area if you go at my pace, and I'm not a completionist. Took me 4 hours to complete that section. You also talk over eachother and the game very regularly which I personally find infuriating but hey, if that's your style stick with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Put it up on private or scheduled and check before making the video public.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The intro sound is obnoxious and the end card is unnecessary and also annoying.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Rhymefire posted:

I've managed to put together another test version of my sslp of Dragon Age: Origins. The subtitles are readable now. Yay! Is there anything else that needs fixing?

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=148195 - test part one

Those are gigantic images, far too many images and I've still got no idea of what's going on. Frankly, you need to fix the entire flow of this. I suggest you either go with a smaller game or a game you know intimately or a game you can put an interesting spin on rather than just presenting a game. That, and try copying wholesale the general format of other LPs of similar games. Take a look at Doc Morbid's Jade Empire thread and other threads on the forums. Sit on your ideas for a few weeks while you pick up how to make an LP.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Doc Morbid posted:

I don't remember which LP's format I copied for the Jade Empire thread, but apparently it's working. :v:

I still have a lot to learn about this stuff myself, as I just discovered I hadn't optimized the PNG files in my Persona 2 thread nearly as well as I should've (I really should've done a test post first because I hadn't worked with PNG images before). Also, you probably shouldn't try running two simultaneous SSLPs of big RPGs unless you're a crazy person like me.

Messing with different image files is why I gave up with SSLPs, bloody hell can they go wrong so many ways that appear invisible to the naked eye.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Rhymefire posted:

I think I've got it this time, unless I'm horribly mistaken. Please rip this apart. Find the errors and point them out so I can stab them to death. And thanks. Everyone here has been really helpful.

Part One - https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=148223

Making great improvements, but I still don't know who is speaking, even if the individuals are distinguishable from one another, along with the image readability complaints.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Still struggling to read the subtitles on images, and while I know whose faces are speaking, I do not know who these people are. Perhaps if you added their name beneath the image, if that's not too much effort. Kinda like this:

Didn't expect you to put this much effort into cleaning up and making the thread a good one, so long as your OP is less long-winded it looks like things are going to turn out alright! Since I've not done the mage origin, I'll probably follow the thread.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Rhymefire posted:

I'm wondering if I should :justpost:. I'm not sure what else there is I can do to improve it (considering my newb skill level)

It's great now, looking forward to the thread!

I have my own project that requires feedback
: A zero-commentary VR lets play. I was thinking about adding commentary, but it proved difficult to have anything to say that I couldn't convey via actions or the rather verbose in-game character. This isn't the final take of the first episode either, just a showcase of general interactions and how they look on video.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

landgrabber posted:

Okay I'm kinda nervous, but I did one episode of Half-Life 1. WAnted to post it ehere to see if I'm at all tolerable before I made a thread/made it more official.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mn9AiKobAew

Same as Sally's issue but if you're recording with OBS you can apply that noise reduction live.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

CirclMastr posted:

How is that done?

Use OBS Studio, click the cog next to the Mic/Aux button, hit filters, then create a noise reduction filter.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Spikeguy posted:

Final episode of my first LP. It's been a blast learning along the way and talking to myself in the wee hours of the night not trying to wake up my family. I've already started recording my next one. Thanks to anyone who took even a sniff of a glance. And if you didn't, thanks for tolerating me :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UrJ6rjXKuRQ

The fullcaps title with no break to show what the video title is, the game name is, and a straight LP video having it's own kooky branding, made me turn off immediately. A description that is just plugging your twitter is even worse.

"TIRED PLAY MASS EFFECT FINAL EPISODE FATE OF THE GALAXY" vs "Let's Play Mass Effect - Final Episode, Fate of the Galaxy" is a much better title. Heck, "Mass Effect (2007) - Final Episode, Fate of the Galaxy" or "Mass Effect 1 - Final Episode, Fate of the Galaxy" are much better titles as it shows clearly which title in the four game series this is.

You don't need to introduce who you are in each episode, especially in the finale: That's what your channel name is for. You don't need kooky branding unless you do anything different, which you don't. Your commentary is not awful though, it's fairly par for the course. Do try not to talk over dialogue or cutscenes as often though, that's a major pet peeve. (I will back your Aliens stance though).

Lastly though, you should probably upload the first video of your next series here, receive feedback, potentially re-do it and open up a thread here in the lets play subforum. You'll learn way more, since people will actually be watching and could give feedback throughout.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ZiegeDame posted:

Trying something different for my next LP. Hoping I can get some feedback before I go full in because this is a lot more effort than regular talking over video games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZglvIMm1axc

I'm considering sticking to the gimmick for the thread, too. Which would mean updates are just a hand-written journal page that link to the videos and no other preamble or information about the game. But maybe it would be better for the thread to give viewers a little more info on what's going on here. I welcome opinions on the matter.

I love the idea, but you ham it up a bit too much. It feels like a bad Freeman's Mind. It's also far too long as dscruffy pointed out: Freeman's Mind does 5-10 minute highly scripted and rehearsed videos for a good reason. Given the nature of the game, straight comedy is probably a bad idea. However, a Bear Grylls style survival guide presentation can not only give you a great jumping off point to deliver information about the game in an in-universe fashion, it itself is also funny without being obnoxious.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ZiegeDame posted:

What would be the best way to do a Saints Row LP without getting copyright claimed into oblivion? The simplest answer would be to just turn the music volume all the way down, but is there any way to know which parts I'd need to do that for and which songs I can get away with before recording. Some of the best parts of the later games come from the music, and I'd rather not take that away unless I have to. Like, I know there's no drat way I can keep in Power from the Penthouse assault in 3, but I'd like to keep the sing-along parts in at least.

Way I did it for star wars was upload a copyrighted version and upload a version from a DOS game. You'll know when you upload exactly what timestamps are copyrighted.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ZiegeDame posted:

Just so I'm clear here, this would entail recording a mission, uploading it to youtube, then re-recording the mission with the sound turned off if the first video gets claimed. Or just doing two takes every time a licensed song comes up.

No, just do a little editing. Just swap out the audio in post. If you're doing live commentary but not recording in two separate audio tracks, you're doing it wrong.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

ZiegeDame posted:

While I can record commentary and game audio in separate files, I don't believe OBS has to the functionality to split in-game music into a different track from in-game sound effects and dialog.

Correct, it cannot do that. You wouldn't be able to keep any dialog in a timecode relevant to the copyright cliam in your non-copyright copy of the video, unless you have access to the dialog without music playing. So just turn subtitles on or try keeping only the moments with dialog in, pitch shift it if you have to.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Nidoking posted:

Or you could get REALLY fancy and get a clean copy of the offending music, invert it, and mix with the original track to cancel out the music while leaving everything else fairly intact. But that's probably more work than you really want to do.

I've tried that and pitch shifting, it only works sometimes and can be extremely offensive to the ears. Fuckin' Ewoks...

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

psychopomp posted:

Very generally speaking, what kinds of games work best as SSLPs, and which work best as video?

When most of the game is static and silent, or if you want to create your own narrative. See the old GuavaMoment X-Com LPs for the latter or any RPGMaker game LP (I'd recommend Exit Fate and Last Scenario respectively).Thread based decision making can work in either VLP or SSLP.

Rough guide: If you want to show the moment to moment gameplay, video. If you want just the relevant details plus all the content, SSLP.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Thanks! I'll try to make another update, see if my interest in LPing this game can win out over the work involved.

Especially with a game like CoE4, I'd recommend playing out a full recorded game before making any work on the LP, that game can easily sling a lot of bullshit your way and unceremoniously bring things to an end. Otherwise I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of a great and underrepresented game!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Most WWE music is ok thanks to the WWE videogames, and also they usually just monetise the video on behalf of the WWE rather than block access to other countries.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've begun work on another update but halfway through the shelter called with news that they approved my application to adopt a dog, so, uh, good thing I haven't made a thread for it. :v:

Now that's the single best reason for delaying work on an LP :3:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Pretty much perfect by my reckoning for a VN LP. Just gonna skip the QTEs?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

BoldFrankensteinMir posted:

Hey LP friends. I have a question for you, regarding my CYOA thread: You Have 001 Goblins. I was working on an update today and, to my shock, saw this:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3834877

Looks like someone else is also running a CYOA goblins game about building a horde. Now, I'm usually cool about sharing, but I gotta admit this stings a little bit, especially after working my rear end off on 001 for almost three years now. So what should I do? Should I just ignore it? Should I call it quits on 001? I don't want to be a jerk, and I fully admit that updates for my CYOA have gotten spotty as it gets more complex. Thoughts are welcome.

Looks like a totally different take on the same base structure. Players are horde members in this, whereas in yours players are playing '001 Goblins' the text parser game. There is no reason to feel anything regarding this.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Dolash posted:

I don't know if post-mortems are appropriate for the Sandcastle, but my Legacy of Dragonholt LP ended up attracting very little interest after I posted it, to the point that I couldn't get six character ideas for a party - in my experience, any LP that opens with "hey submit a character!" usually has no problem at least getting that far, so I feel like I must've failed somewhere here.

I've gone ahead and closed the thread, since the format I chose was heavily dependent on audience participation even beyond picking the party, but if anyone has any advice I'd appreciate it. Maybe I buried the lede on audience participation, or I threw too much text at the readers up-front, I'm not sure. Here's the thread.

You either need a good establishing hook, a setting/system people are really into and patience to get people submitting stuff. You dropped a wall of text, initially went PMs only for submission and didnt edit that out, and gave up within a day. Also the aforementioned lack of post in New LPs meant you only got the people who checked the subforum on that exact day.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

CirclMastr posted:

It's mostly holdovers from the various Goons Don't Know Jack tournaments, which also obviously just started with an announcement, but if it's a problem I can just close the thread and cancel it.

The only problem is it's not Just Cause 3. :colbert:

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Have them make a local recording via audacity then if you want higher quality. I think discord audio is serviceable, but if you want it better it takes work.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

It looks fine, and volume's no issue thanks to volume sliders. It's spot on. Never heard of this one, so I'm looking forward to the thread!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

NigelThornberry posted:

Sure I am interested in highly specific feedback (i.e. not a "redo it cuse I dont like it") but in the end its still a couple of opinions on the internet . I prefer to do things one way and I really like it that way, you disagree and that's cool. I find 95% of LPs "unwatchable" but I don't put them down for it because that's just my opinion and a lot of things that I find "unwatchable" have literally millions of views.

The voices are annoying. That’s feedback, which you asked for. But if you don’t want feedback since that’s just how you like things, maybe don’t ask for feedback?

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Kheldarn posted:

I say this every time something like this comes up, but the New LPs thread really isn't needed, since there's an RSS feed for it. I've even set up an IFTTT recipe to send a notification to your phone every time the RSS feed updates with a new LP.

Other than that, I agree with GrandmaParty's outline.

I've never used an RSS feed in my life.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I fear a lot of requests might get missed among recommendation discussion, and vice versa. Even worse would be the folks reporting that a game is in progress being mistaken for a recommendation of said LP. I don’t think that particular combination would work and whatever unlucky sod that has to deal with that would not have a great time of it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

That sounds great and I want to be on the ground floor with that, Kriegspiel's always fascinated me and those maps are nice! But it would be nice to get a slightly more detailed primer on period terminology and troop types. Not necessarily a full effort post on them, just a quick glossary of terms and a picture of a generic army of the period, since not everyone's going to be too familiar with the forces of that time, as well as a map key for the unit counters.

The only other things you're really needing are a list of roles people can slot into, their associated responsibilities and that first scenario. I'd also suggest reserving a post to track the mercenary company's current condition (in spoiler tags) below an index linking to each update.

Hope it all turns out well and isn't too much a pain in the rear end to run!

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

Oh, cool, it's not Hellwig's Kriegspiel.

It's an early "free Kriegspiel", and a ton of minor rules are loose and written so that the umpire has to resolve things based on his experience. The umpire's word is final.

Yeah, 1824 Kriegspiel is pretty alright, but the umpire part might cause a salty goon or two to throw a fit and cause arguments. The fact that it's not goon v goon and cooperative instead will probably keep most of that at bay though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

LastLeigh posted:

it may be prudent to explain command delays and how I'd calculate them...

Ooh, if you're doing command delays, I'll throw this LP - Jutland by Grey Hunter - at you. Definitely much more of a pain in the rear end, but I don't think I've seen a participatory LP do command delay better within the thread. With the more roleplay angle you seem to be going for, that sounds like a great addition. Maybe, in the goon v goon style, have one thread for the command HQ and another for the field commanders? Though I might be misunderstanding the scale of command you're going for.

Also, if you've not seen it, Strike Command by Yooper is pretty much the gold standard for cooperative semi-fictional wargame threads at the moment. It's a very different game, and IMHO a bit too reliant on player's knowledge which does leave some folks in the dust and makes it a little dense to navigate, but it's still exceptional.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

LastLeigh posted:

I've edited the post with the recommendations you've made so far, Herpicle. Mind taking another look at it?

Looks brilliant! Only thing that I'm still missing is what the symbols mean on the last picture. Something like:

I'd also maybe chuck it at the Grog Games thread since this is right up their alley. They've also got folks there that are pretty good with maps, as well as running these kinds of threads.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Yooper posted:

People love to vote A, B, or C. Less people are into "write a paragraph explaining...".

I will add to this by saying, some folks get really, really into the latter, but try not to be reliant on that.

Yooper posted:

Keep roles open and egalitarian. Then if someone leaves the LP you're not left finding a new Supreme Artillery Chancellor.

For that exact reason. Try to keep an A, B, C while leaving things generally open to start with, and play it by ear from there. See where you can/want to delegate responsibilities, try not to rely on it from the outset.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

There's an actually rather good Hearts of Iron 4 mod that turns it into My Little Pony. I wish I was making this up. I actually enjoy it more than the Fallout mod.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Gosts posted:

3. Third concern is, I guess, time. We probably would play once every two weeks, and most serials like this update once a week. I would need the two weeks because I would probably be doing the editing myself, and also I need to prepare for the next session, and also I have a life. But we get delayed sometimes, too. Would an update schedule of 'pretty much whenever' be acceptable if it was good enough? As both a host and listener, I'd rather have a solid, prepared session air than two sketchy ones, but there's a point where i'd probably forget about a podcast and lose interest, too.

For this one, just put a break in every two hours, upload that week by week. Run it for a couple sessions before you commit to uploading it too, so you have a backlog to protect against delays. Your sessions are probably going to be four hours long or north of that, right? That'll guarantee a weekly upload.

But don't worry about is there a market or not. If you build it, they will come. And if it's something you're doing anyway for fun, and not just work for you? Then a market is irrelevant. If your sessions are good, the uploads will be good.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Eh, I see no issue with it at all. If people don't want to give someone money, they don't get money. If what they do is obnoxious, that'll make people less interested.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

vilkacis posted:

I kind of had that thought myself after posting, to be honest. I do think it would hurt a thread to be paid participation only as opposed to something where anyone can jump in. But if you want to have rewards - and having them probably helps draw supporters! - it's kind of hard to do something other than "influence the lp" when all you do is... lp. I guess you could let them vote on which games to play? But at least personally, when i lp it's because i wanted to do a specific game...

I guess it'd be alright if there are a couple games that you want to do, or if you need specific hardware to for example, capture from a 3DS or something like that.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

The only other issue I can think of would be people who would be gauche enough to buy banner ads for the forums linking directly to their Patreon. We've had a few people here without naming names who've bought banner ads to advertise their LPs, and while that's fine if a little gaudy and kinda desperate in my view, we let that stuff slide.

On that note, I'm actually really surprised that the banner ads actually work. The ongoing Your Turn to Die LP had a banner ad, and I wouldn't have clicked on the thread if it didn't, and I see a lot of unfamiliar names in that thread so it clearly does pull people from around the site. At first, I thought the same, that it was a gaudy thing to do, but if done right like that thread, it's just a pretty neat way to get more eyeballs on a cool game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Darth TNT posted:

Who is Jeffrey of Yospos and why are we happy about him specifically taking over?

They're not Lowtax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Leal posted:

Can I LP an LP?

That was pretty much what Retsupurae was.