Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Heya, been working on my first LP ever for Monster Hunter World and thought I'd post it in here for you guys to nitpick. If there are no complaints, I'll be posting it later today/tomorrow-ish.

OP
Episode 1

I know there's a couple of hiccups in the video, but I'm not gonna re-record the tutorial for a couple of blips. Also, I will be going back to the equipment stats and inventory SSLP posts to tidy them up and standardise the sizes of the images, along with grabbing the palico gear that I forgot to get the stats for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Given that we've had good LPs of CYOA books and boardgames I'm pretty sure anything can be LPed well as long as you put some effort into it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

IGgy IGsen posted:

This is something you hear a lot around these parts and I don't want to do too much of a pisstake on ~goon culture~ here but what "putting effort into it" means around these parts is basically just to have decent audio and video and don't start your video with "Hey Youtube".

This vague notion of "putting some effort into it" is at this point completely meaningless because the bar is so low. And believe it or not, that's a good thing (coming from someone who's either done long taxing projects or short and involved ones that both require "some effort"). Because you don't scare people who just want to try out the hobby away with stupid nerd gatekeeping. Because let's face it, that's basically what used to be common practice here when people told newbies to :lurkmore: or to :frogout:

That was pretty much what I meant, just phrased really badly :v: I'm willing to check out anything that's not just a YT dump.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Bogart posted:

Hey friends. Here's my OP for my Pokemon Emerald LP. Please look it over. Many thanks, and thanks to the Pokegoon discord for betaing it. https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=154126

I don't see any glaring problems. I look forward to reading it! I like the rebalance romhacks the most, personally.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

My regret for my old MHW LP was that I never got a co-host who I could bounce off, because I do not talk to myself very well it turns out.

I'll see what I end up regretting on my current SSLP.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Leal posted:

I regret doing Neptunia with you.

To this day I'm still not entirely sure why I volunteered for that.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I had another question. For one of the games in the series I wanted to discuss, I had intended to tie in some backstory that was supplied in a manga.

Is there a rule regarding how I can share that? There are two chapters and one was officially released, but the other is Japanese exclusive and was only fan-translated. I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to post those in their entirety, so I was contemplating perhaps just recreating it as game dialogue in a side update.

I have a link to a fan-translated copy of the manga adaptation of the game I'm LPing at mangadex and there have been no complaints yet.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Oh, so I can link to it, but not post it directly?

Quite frankly, I have no idea :v: I feel like if you do what The McD did with the Danganronpa 3 anime and just used screenshots/excerpts from the manga with a summary of events in your own words you should be fine. Also, linking back to the fan translation should be fine from a credit perspective.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Dash Rendar posted:

No, you know what? I'm going to defer to how ADTRW decides this:

In my defense, there is no official English translation for the manga :v: I will keep that in mind for the future though.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I will say that there is a case for lots of different lines if you think that there are natural breaks in the dialogue where a line break would be. Of course, I might be the only person who interprets line breaks this way, so :v: Give it a read yourself and see where the flow tells you to put line breaks.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

There's an actually rather good Hearts of Iron 4 mod that turns it into My Little Pony. I wish I was making this up. I actually enjoy it more than the Fallout mod.

It's of high enough quality that the goon HOI4 devs who hang around the thread in Games said that they took notes from it when they played it as a joke.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh nice, someone else stepping up to the ZTD plate. I think the images are a bit blurry for me on desktop, might want to double check the recording quality on your end (unless the game was blurry too, it's been years since I played it). No real complaints otherwise, the gifs are good quality too.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Leal posted:

Yeesh, even I got someone to cocommentate with me through a neptunia lp of all things. Then again said cocommentator is a sicko who actually likes being financially dominated by anime girls so who knows what his real intentions were

Hey, it's a living.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Trying to LP Maplestory? Good luck.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Clarste posted:

I did some test pages for an Arknights LP, mostly to test myself to see how willing to put in the work I'd be, but I'd also like some feedback:
OP
Prologue
Mission 0-1

Oh nice, I was considering doing this after abandoning my GFL LP but I'm glad that someone else is picking up the torch on gacha LPs. Generally I think it's a fine start, but couple of notes, mostly about AK itself rather than anything you've written:

- Hypergryph (and Yostar for that matter) are HQed in Shanghai. Yostar Hong Kong does run the EN servers though, which may be where the confusion comes from.
- Doctor in CN is 博士, which means Doctor (PhD) rather than Doctor (MD).
- Evil Time would probably be better translated as Time of Evil, but stuff like chapter names, event names and Operator names are determined by the writers at HG, who sometimes have a very... interesting relationship with English.
- Minor note but might want to just quickly say what DP means (Deployment Points I believe?)

Good luck, I'd like to see others to see the story, even if the early few chapters/events have a bit of a sketchy TL. I do know some of the people who currently do the TLs and took over sometime after launch (around chapter 6 or so?), so if you have anything you want to ask I might be able to pull some strings. Also I generally enjoy your analysis of the story even if I don't always agree so I'm looking forward to that too.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Once you get around to the bits of the game where they get better about putting in multiple facial expressions, have you got a handy system to do that on the LP end or will you just be ignoring it?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Jossar posted:

That's fair. The only thing is that the grinding is fairly core to the experience, but I suppose I just didn't take into account that I've been doing that sort of thing all along in my other screenshot LPs. Something to consider, thanks!

Having lived through the heydays of both 04-07 RS and modern RS, I think it's safe to say that most people don't care about how you grind outside of a line or two unless it's a very interesting way to grind.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Alxprit posted:

It feels like ten million years ago when I first threw this idea around, but I have finally put my MapleStory "Bean World" LP to fruition in a test post. It's my first time doing a screenshot LP on the forum and I tried really hard to keep that sweet 900 pixel thing going. I suppose it's not much of a first update, but it took me a while to set up and I'd like to know what you all think.

Intro Post
First Update

I don't see any real issues in these posts. I haven't tried really playing MS since like, Cygnus Knights so I don't really recognise anything newer than those, so it'll be interesting to see how modern MS is.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

DKII posted:

Do we still do test posts here? How do the images, character portraits, and overall writing style/presentation look?

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
OP
Part 1
Part 2

I wish you the absolute best of luck trying to LP an Ace Attorney game.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Yeah, I'm aware of the one actual successful AA LP. It's just that with this one as a blind LP, there's no guarantee that we'll get to AA 2. If DKII was starting from AA 2 then I wouldn't worry, but they're not so yeah.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mega64 posted:

Worst case is they get bored/distracted/whatever comes up and it gets abandoned which, whatever.

If someone wants to do a LP, putting in some effort, and not doing some hosed-up game, I don't see any reason to talk them out of it.

Oh, I wasn't trying to talk anyone out of it. It was a very sincere "good luck".

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

drat. I didn't join the forums for his LPs, but I definitely found them some of the most memorable, and I followed along with every new one he posted up until Shadow Hearts (2?).

Farewell to a real one. Enjoy the other side.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

nine-gear crow posted:

LP's probably had a serial killer poster, come on.

Well if we don't, I could always get started on that.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

senrath posted:

Admins have confirmed they're not.

Admins are TDI confirmed.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Leal posted:

When the big C gets me someone will inherit the nep games in my steam library (The "C" stands for "Co-commentator")

I will refuse all calls from your lawyer after your death if you do this to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

DoubleNegative posted:

Personally, it's interesting as hell when an LPer goes "okay here's some unreasonable nonsense. Here's what I had available to counter it. And here's what I wound up doing." And pokemon romhacks and fangames are particularly rife with unreasonable nonsense.

Before the endgame wore me down with actual bullshit I couldn't defeat, I was actually days away from pulling the trigger on a Pokemon Radical Red LP. This was back in this past September.

I enjoyed Radical Red enough to complete a Poison monotype run so I might consider an LP with another type.