Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

TheMcD posted:

Yeah, the negative space was what I was largely afraid of, and that's why I figured I'd get second opinions beforehand. The thing is that by the time I hit 50x50, I felt like things were starting to look kind of rough, with facial features degenerating into a blank slate of skin color.

Even if I crop tighter, that just looks bad to my eyes, but maybe that's just me:

I recommend going with 64x64, or 60x60. You can try cutting some whitespace from the right to set up a mini 'rule of thirds' effect.

Also I echo the tighter crop looking bad with the main reason being that there's too little whitespace making it look messy. You typically want some in order to infer a frame that makes the image look nice and clean.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Sep 30, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Mraagvpeine posted:

When Chip and Ironicus LPed The Wonderful 101, didn't he put the gamepad view into the corner when he wanted to show something?

Chip did both, for Gamepad-only sections he straight up switched the main screen to the Gamepad and for the combined sections he did PiP. For the few times he went back into a Gamepad-only section he had already done he did PiP there too.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The 1x is the sharpest and decently readable. I can't tell any difference in blurryness between the 2x and test post image so 2x would be better for bigness/being able to see stuff.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I think Bowser Face is better than Bowser Body; it emphasizes the size discrepancy between Bowser and the other characters. In fact I'd say the first option (Bowser Face 64x64) looks fine.

This, it really nails the effect of Bowser being huge. 64x64 is also a boon because you get quite a bit of detail.

Edit: Oh right, Left align is best, Center is ok, Right is weird.

EponymousMrYar fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 5, 2017

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Looks great.

Also they brought back the opened chest dialogue :flashfap:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Bottom is the default, and I would assume that it's the default for a reason, but that reason may well pertain to stuff like e.g. how shots in movies are usually composed, which aren't necessarily relevant to videogames*. So I suspect the answer is "it depends".

Certainly if there's important information at the bottom of the screen, you don't want your subtitles to cover that.

* Hell, it could be as simple as "the bottom of the screen is usually darker, providing better contrast for subtitle text". :shrug:

There's a certain amount of inertia to subtitles being on the bottom. Because it's the default and has been for awhile you can be fairly certain that your audience members know how to efficiently dart their eyes between your subtitles and the action going on with those subs being at the bottom.

Subtitles being at the top are also common, though mostly because there's already important info at the bottom (like more subtitles or the focus of the action.) Typically if there's both the bottom subtitles are more important than the top, which usually provide additional, optional information.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

your evil twin posted:

But yeah I get the feeling that chitoryu12 is right, that those who would be annoyed by the subtitles would be outweighed by those that would appreciate them.

Ultimately the big thing here is that Quantum Break's subtitling style is it's own. If people don't like it, the only thing they can fault you for is turning them on!

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

From a readability perspective, condense lines-per-NPC box like what Tendales said, with splitting it up with a screenshot every two to three exposition dumps. It keeps things moving.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

In FactsAreUseless' case, that's actually the correct way to use quotation marks in a long speech. The only reason it looks weird in standard SSLP's is because the dialogue is usually the only text being displayed which kind of makes them redundant.

But for long speeches like that? Yeah, it's a perfectly fine way to do it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

DoubleNegative posted:

Because if it's a long enough text dump you can have all sorts of fun with it.

Ah, the good ol' Catchumen tedium technique in conjunction with the Pacinian fatigue bombardment. Your use of a monadic dribble-though method was noteworthy.

Arist posted:

My point, I guess, is that there's no reason to have to do that in this format, and it looks worse than not doing it. It's all personal preference, though.

There are always exceptions. You're right that it's personal preference though.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

But there are opening marks right... Not there.

:negative: :argh: :negative:

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

Willie Tomg posted:

From a practical perspective I love it! If I were replaying for my own self, I'd use it 100% no takebacks. But it looks..... well, don't lemme tell you how it looks. You tell me how it looks. If its too distracting that kinda sucks, but thats the way the cookie crumbles I guess. If it turns out I care about this far out of proportion to everyone else caring about this then I'll have my actual test post up tomorrow or the day after because I got the workflow on lock and am really antsy to get started.

The only time it got distracting for me was when there were 3-4 items stacked on top of each other in that nook at the end.

Otherwise it was pretty unobtrusive since it used the normal Witcher-sense mode of highlighting stuff.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

I'd go with the 90 quality jpg's for text fidelity. That's the biggest difference I'm noticing between the jpg's and will help if there's any text boxes with weird or tons of text.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

ultrafilter posted:

I can't see any difference between the 90 and 95, so go with the smaller filesize.

It's another step up in text fidelity. I can see a difference between 90 and 95, 95 and png are extremely close.

Definitely go with with the 900 wide 90 jpg's though. That's a good balance between quality and filesize.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The bottom image is a bit blurry from the resize it got put through. The top is fine but not as crisp as it could be since it's a jpg.