Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

kirbysuperstar posted:

It doesn't even have a scarecam! How can I get the most out of it without one?!

Loud keyboard clacking and mouse thumping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

baldurk posted:

This is the 8th sandcastle type thread, for those keeping track.

Really gives you (well, me, a 2015 registration) context for how and why the rules that were... were :v:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

RareAcumen posted:

As if anyone making an LP that quickly was going to finish them.

Is this a challenge?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Magicpokey posted:

Hey everybody. I am sure none of you remember me, but I started a SSLP of an old Sega Master System game called Kenseiden last year. The LP died because my life upturned itself (including spending time in the hospital twice for pneumonia complicated by neurological problems). I still think the game is worthy of an LP, and I hate leaving something unfinished. But I am not sure of the protocol here. It was my first LP, I would like to finish it, but I do not know how to go about it. Should I just try to revive the old thread? Should I start a new thread? (and if so, should I re-post the old updates or start over?) or should I just forget the whole idea?

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Reviving the old thread and starting a new one are both viable options. Don't overthink this.
E: \/\/\/ Yeah, reviving is only possible if it's not archived

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 23, 2016

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mraagvpeine posted:

I saw this and just laughed.

"Ages 8-up"
Yes, this checks out

Also, is it just me, or does the sentence "become a sensation from your stars" make no sense?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

AlphaKretin posted:

You're missing part of the sentence, you "get the tools and the know-how" to do the thing from them.

I should start sleeping :v:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

loquacius posted:

this seems like a good place to post this

I'm showing my wife some of my favorite games from when I was a kid, and we recently started a playthrough of Mario RPG

and obviously she decided that would be a good time to look up the Let's Play I did of Mario RPG a couple years before we met which I had repeatedly told her was horrible

and dear Lord it's worse than I remembered :negative:

I gotta get around to deleting that poo poo

lmao don't delete it

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I got a spam offer to join a network
Now, it's not my first one, and almost everyone in the subforum gets them, it's nothing unusual
Except this one is unusual:
1) it's a Russian network (there's a line there, which I like, "Russian-language support", as if I loving need any)
And 2) they think that I am "Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver - Topic"
They don't even loving check who they're sending this spam to

:fuckoff:

The question is, do I reply with snark?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Argh, you're right
I never do, but I really wanted to this time after I was labeled an entire loving topic

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Color Printer posted:

Baldurk really needs to make that internet archive banner bigger or more noticeable or something

It'll still be a banner, and will therefore go unnoticed

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Putty posted:

What are the chances of getting verified on Vid.me? They don't have content ID there so it's perfect for riffing videos on Youtube fiends, but without verification filesize and length are limited.

Demonstrate positive involvement in the Vidme community and you're golden

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Turtlicious posted:

that's one of the most important pokemon because it helps you hatch eggs faster, so when you're doing poke-eugenics, you can breed the perfect super pokemon faster.

Or, you know, you could just grab a random Talonflame and not search for a Larvesta

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
To post or not to post, that is the question?

Let's Play Rayman 2: The Great Escape

Rayman 2 is the second installment in the Rayman franchise, and the most influential and widely played game in the series. Released just about on every platform in one way or another, Rayman 2 was one of those games that set the bar for 3d platformers, despite being an odd one in many ways.

More specifically, Rayman 2: The Great Escape is the non-PS2 version of the game (based off of the N64 version, if I'm not mistaken)

The story

As per the convention for the Rayman games, the story doesn't carry over between the first Rayman and this, or between this and the following Rayman games. In fact, just about the only similarity between Rayman and Rayman 2 is the titular character. Now, if you have played later games, you will know that the new 2d Rayman games, Origins and Legends, are, as far as their setting goes, a Rayman setting with infusions from Rayman 2 and, to a lesser extent, 3.

This thread is open spoiler zone, because the game is really old and it will probably take me a year to complete the LP.

Other Rayman LPs

Rayman 2 has an LP on the Archive, made by SirShakes and tentril about 5 years ago. Personally, I like it quite a fair bit, but judging by that thread, I am in the minority in that regard.
Rayman was LPd by nidoking back in the early days of LP, and although the videos are down, nidoking, being a benevolent entity that he is, is currently reuploading them to YouTube. Do recommend.
Rayman 3 has a very recent LP by yours truly. It went unnoticed and I think that rightly so, but it's the one goon-made LP of Rayman 3 out there, so I mention it.
Rayman Origins by wugga is his magnum opus and you should go watch it. Go watch it. Close this thread and go watch wugga's lp of Rayman Origins, seriously.

Other Rayman games, such as Rayman Legends, the PS2 version of Rayman 2, and Rayman M still await their goonquerors.

Rabbids are a lie and I will petition for a sixer for anyone who mentions them as if they are something that exists (myself excluded).

The LP

Generally the LP will have one level per episode (barring a couple of places where it's logistically unfeasible, you know what I'm talking about). I will not be 100% beating the entire game, because it's ultimately a waste of time to collect everything, although do expect me to get really close to it courtesy of me having memorized most early- and mid-game levels.

Videos

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 13, 2017

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Okay, as a person who has both very high-traffic and nigh-invisible threads I feel like I can answer some of the things here. The most important thing I have to say is that everything is fine don't overthink this.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

So, one of the big things is I'm just playing the wrong games )(1). Which is a shame since I'm just doing games I like (2). I did notice my Doki Doki LP had by far the biggest reaction of any of my LPs. My guess because the game was still in a fit of popularity when I decided to do it, and it's a very reaction-heavy game, and those that know what will happen probably want to see how a newbie reacts to some of the poo poo that goes on (3). And I'm afraid a lot of these names you're telling me are going over my head, but I assume the people you're talking about are popular around these parts.

As for the "show us you care" thing, I don't know what I should be doing in my posts then. Like in a number of LP threads I looked at, people will literally just post a link to their video and nothing else when they update. And I have tried in the past to ask people about stuff I covered in the video. Like "What did you think of X dungeon? I thought it was Y.", but that didn't bring about discussion either, so I dropped it.

I mean an audience would be nice. I'm not looking (or expecting) to be some big name that everyone here knows or something. I might look into co-commentating, but would a lot of people team up with a random guy no one here has heard of (4)?

And I gotta know, what's with the 40k thing?

1) Game selection has a lot to do with it, yes. For example, compare dscruffy1's Batman Arkham threads against his Rise to Honor thread. Like what the gently caress is anyone supposed to say about Rise to Honor that scruffy himself doesn't say already :v:
2) Keep doing this
3) Not necessarily, actually. Here on SA "the gold standard" (imagine that these airquotes are massive, because they should be) is knowledgeable or semi-knowledgeable and calm style of LPing. Reactions are fine, but the minutia of game mechanics or game design of similarities/differences with similar games, or the story are what'll spark discussion. Expose that
4) Yes

nutri_void fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jan 15, 2018

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I know there have been instances of people deleting their LPs after years because they couldn't stand them anymore.
Has there ever been a case of someone redoing an LP of the same game they LPd ages ago because they felt the quality was not up to par? Asking for a friend

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

discworld is all I read posted:

I kinda feel that's why ChipCheezum is currently doing a second LP of 'Beyond Good and Evil'?

This is where I confess that I don't follow ChipCheezum :v:

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

FactsAreUseless posted:

Do I have to register it?

It's imperative that you don't

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Blind Sally posted:

I just always like to hammer home the point that there's no hard and fast rule. I'm doing Killzone Shadow Fall atm, which I feel is still a pretty darn recent game, and my cocommentators and I have talked constantly over EVERY cutscene so far and the thread hasn't complained yet.

That said, random YouTube commentators have complained. They always complain.

I had a random YouTube commentator complain (in an alarmingly high number of videos) that I talk in videos. In Let's Play videos.
I muted the dickwad

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
lp is art

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Blind Sally posted:

LPers choice. some people dont like silly names and whatever. their LP, their call. stupid names are great and you should do whatever works best for you... but also stupid names are great.

may i suggest "Daesh Rendar"

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Sylphid posted:

Is baldurk still reachable at the admin@lparchive.org address? I sent an archival request about a month ago but I still haven't heard anything.

Don't doubt the baldurk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
There's many a game that I have not managed to record with OBS, so