Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH
Well, there's only one way to see if I'm totally garbage at this. This is actually a lot more work than I expected!

But what does Pot of Greed DO? Let's Play Yu-Gi-Oh! The Sacred Cards (working title)

Ladies and Gentlemen!

Yu-Gi-Oh! The Sacred Cards or Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Monsters 7: The Duelcity Legend was released for the Game Boy Advance in Japan July 4, 2002,North America November 4, 2003, and Europe February 6, 2004. developed and published by Konami.

It, instead of following suit of Eternal Duelist Soul, released roughly a year earlier, of being an accurate as possible emulation of the TCG of the same name, instead opted to be an RPG-like game in the vein of Dark Duel Stories and Forbidden Memories.

Oh, great.Will opponents be throwing Blue-Eyes Ultimate Dragons at me again?

Not really! This game took the pains to make it more like the TCG, with tributes needed for necessary monsters, and fusions are completely missing. Most fusion monsters are either standard monsters, or are ritual monsters (the most obvious being BEUD)

What are these weird colors on the cards?

Those are a returning element from Dark Duel Stories, which will be explained in greater detail in another update.

Format

Primarily screenshot. This game is not terribly visually shocking. I don't have a list of the OST on hand, but most of the music is forgettable, anyway.

I activate my spell card, Toon Table of Contents!

Update 1 (Cool names coming later)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH

CrashScreen posted:

That looks fine to me. I'll say that when characters have multiple lines of dialogue in a row, you can probably just add most of them together. Also, and this is more my personal preference than anything, but I actually think the screenshots could be a bit smaller. The GBA's native resolution is pretty tiny, but I feel like doubling it (480x320) is more than enough. After that, things start to get a bit messy.

That's just my take on it, anyway.

Granted, I'm tripling it. I felt that doubling looked a bit small, but it would probably kill people's computers less. That, and I agree with appending the lines. I first thought that when Kaiba was going over the rules.

Also, portraits, whenever I can be arsed to get the sheets from SpritersResource. I also have a super weird method of getting the shots, but I suppose that's more a question for the tech supprort thread. Also, that means I'd have to get all the shots again. :sweatdrop:

Well, no one said this would be easy. (Also, is the game image I used too big? I feel it is.)

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH
As a small break in that discussion(though that is all around a bad sounding idea), I re-did all my screenshots and did a bit of cleaning up, along with a few extra features. (Who knew someone uploaded the soundtrack to youtube?)

...That then begs the question of if that's wise, considering how OSTs linked through youtube gets removed at some point in the future.

Anyway, I think this is approaching postable territory.

Also, "game like popular MMOs"? What?

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH
Alright, so after figuring out a good scale, I think I got it.

Here's the old Joey Portait:

And the new one:

Aside from that, I think everything should be good to go....except maybe making the GIFs a bit bigger.