Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I assume reading the dialogue text is yet another "filler" for dead air.

In addition to someone who can actually pull off voice acting text dialogue (not necessarily professional-quality, but be drat sure you can pull it off), I'd say another acceptable reason to read the text out loud is if your audience wouldn't understand the text. I watch streams from Clyde Mandelin (the guy who did the Mother 3 patch) and he frequently either live-translates Japanese games or does translation comparisons between English and Japanese scripts, which means a lot of text-reading for his largely English-speaking audience. There was Funky Fantasy IV (Google-translated FF4) where they read the dialogue, but the script in that one was so messed up that the goofy terrible voice acting made it funnier in a way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

BioEnchanted posted:

I always seem to misjudge how much of an impact things have overseas. When I did my Haunted Mansion LP years ago I thought that Disneyland and the titular ride were bigger parts of american Childhoods than they were. Turned out I knew more about the ride myself than the people who actually lived in the country with it. :P
To be fair, the USA is big. Big enough for a non-stop cross-country flight to take six hours (I know, I've done it before). There are plenty of people who simply can't afford the time or the expense it takes to travel that far. I've never been to either Disney resort in the States, myself, despite living on the same coast as one of them. And if you're not looking to go there at some point, what's the point of looking up the attractions?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, my experience with a widescreen hack for Persona 3 FES made the game unintentionally a lot goofier, because the game was just not designed to display that much area. Sometimes characters would leave the normal screen area and just disappear, and other times they'd just stand there or walk in place. It was actually kind of funny, but it sapped a lot of the dramatic tension from a game that relies heavily on dramatic tension.

Personally, I think letterboxing looks just fine, and I'd rather have it than some horribly stretched widescreen video. Personally, I'd say the video is good enough to :justpost:. You did hit on a personal pet peeve of mine in the video, where you refer to "Draculas" as if the individual was a species, though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Epicmissingno posted:

I'm thinking of making a Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker SSLP and have already made the first update - could people give any feedback? Are the images too big, for example?

https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=148122
The images are fine in size. They're clear and not too pixelated.

I do think your dialogue portraits are a bit large, though. I'd go with 75 x 75, or even 50 x 50. Also, the NPC portraits could use an indication of who we're talking to; "asterisk" must be the most prolific character in that game. What I'd suggest, and what I'm planning to do in an LP of Dragon Quest IX I have upcoming, is to grab sprite sheets from other DQ games (especially the DS remakes) for NPC characters and use NPC sprites for the character portraits for generic NPCs.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Epicmissingno posted:

How would you recommend linking music? Tindeck, a third-party Youtube channel, my own Youtube channel through Polsy or something else? I think I might have heard that Tindeck stopped being reliable due to viruses or something.
Most people here use either Tindeck or just search Youtube and use what comes up there, I think. However, IIRC, lpix also hosts music. I think the reason people don't use it much is to save on Baldurk's bandwidth, though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, I think the best option is to screenshot or transcribe the lore in the thread.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Most games in the Final Fantasy and Legend of Zelda series have at least two archived LPs. There are two currently ongoing LPs of Rune Factory 4 (ThornBrain's and Truthkeeper's, IIRC), and at least three ongoing Breath of the Wild LPs (ThornBrain's, Mega64's, and Ricdesi's).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If it's something that's going to be super short, it might be a good candidate for one of the megathreads, like the Casual LP Thread.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I have a tiny bit of experience recording from a DS emulator on a weaker machine, and the recording feature built into RetroArch might be the best option. At least on Desmume, which is what I personally tested, it'll ignore frame stuttering and performance issues not caused by lag in the game itself. It also shouldn't capture the mouse cursor, which will be a boon when playing a game like Canvas Curse. You'll probably need to add commentary in post, due to it de-syncing with the on-screen action if you run live commentary, but the actual video should be much more watchable that way.

The big drawback is that it's not space-efficient at all; the AVI file I produced was barely more than a minute and a half long and still more than 1.5 GB.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Jamesman posted:

I've said it earlier in this thread, but I feel like SSLPs, by nature, provide a trimmed down experience for the viewer/reader. You're picking and choosing parts of the game to show and deciding on what's most important to share, and trying to convey the most information possible in an efficient manner. I would think that cutting out or summarizing dialogue would go along with that.

Is my mindset wrong here? When you go into an SSLP, what kind of experience with the game are you expecting to have? People are saying things like insisting on fully transcribed dialogue or wanting to give a more complete experience, but what, to you, makes a SSLP a unique experience from a VLP?
People presenting VLPs can and frequently do edit out the parts of the game that would be tedious or pointless to watch, so it's not like a VLP is the definitive unadulterated Video Game Experience.

I do feel that presenting dialogue and cutscenes completely and accurately is important regardless of the format, because any summary is going to be "tainted" by the LPer's own impressions and interpretations, rather than allowing the viewer/reader to formulate their own and compare to what the LPer thinks. I will not read an LP that summarizes dialogue, with the possible exception of completely pointless sidequest dialogue.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I think DoubleNegative was having trouble posting an update in his Warcraft III LP, and had to resort to the test poster to get it to work, as well.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Supeerme posted:

Ok, I am restarting my Digimon World Next Order LP but in a video format instead. How do you make the videos show up as a clickable link? I have been trying to use URL but it doesn't seem to work.
Use the [ video ] tag to embed a Youtube video into a post. Otherwise, you could make an image and then use that to link to the video.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I personally like the information provided, but I've beaten DQ9 and know what that stuff means. Dr. Fetus is providing similarly in-depth monster bios in his 7th Dragon LP, as well, and I've seen other RPG LPs provide "full" monster bios, so it's not like there's no precedent, either.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So, I'm looking at starting up an LP of the PSX version of Wild Arms. How does this look?

quote:

Laying It All On The Ray Line - Let's Play Wild Arms!

What is Wild Arms?
Wild Arms is a JRPG released in 1996 in Japan, 1997 in North America, and 1998 in Europe for the PlayStation. It's known for being one of the few JRPGs to adopt a fantasy-Western setting, with genuine gunslingers showing up alongside the usual assortment of wizards and warriors common to the genre. Despite releasing the same year as Final Fantasy VII, it sold well enough that it spawned a franchise spanning five mainline games, one spin-off, and a remake of the first game on PS2 (which already has an excellent LP by Krysmphoenix). It was re-released as a PSOne Classic for PS3 and PSP in 2007 (or 2012 if you live in Europe).

What about this LP?
This will be a screenshot LP, with videos for boss battles. Since it's my first LP, I'm not going to guarantee any sort of update schedule, but I'll be aiming for once a week. I'm also not going to promise to 100% the game, but it's fairly short by-the-numbers, so I'll see about it as we near the end of the game.

Spoilers
I'm going to adopt a no spoiler policy on this game. No black bars, no "nudge, nudge, wink, wink", no nothing. If we haven't seen it yet, don't talk about it! Additionally, while I'm not currently planning to LP the entire series, LPs of at least two other Wild Arms games are a possibility in the future, so no spoilers on other games in the series, either. The one exception I'll allow is discussion on the differences between this version of the game and Alter Code F, as long as no discussion goes beyond what we've seen in the LP.

Part 0 - Prologue

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

vilkacis posted:

Oh hey, Wild Arms is Good.

Anyway. There's some blurring in the screenshots.

How are you capturing this? If it's from video, make sure it's lossless.
Capturing by recording footage from ePSXe using OBS. I'm pretty sure that blurring is coming from the video codec I'm using in OBS (utvideo) but it's the best option I've found so far; all the others either produced absolutely gigantic file sizes (and weren't readable by the editing software) or even blurrier video. I even posted in the Tech Support Fort a few days ago for help, but I only got a couple of responses. If you have any good recommendations as to video codecs, or if OBS isn't the way to go with this and there's a better (freeware) screen recorder I'm all ears; I'll even re-record that update.

vilkacis posted:

Definitely crop out those black borders. (Irfanview can do batch cropping.)
The black borders are in-game; they only appear in the prologue. The dialogue even appears within the bottom "border". And I think if I crop the screens in the prologue, once I get to the main game the prologue will look off comparatively, due to all the screens being different sizes. If it really looks bad, I suppose I could crop them, but I'd prefer to leave them as-is.

vilkacis posted:

Recommend a blank line between any/all commentary, screenshots, dialogue, etc for better readability.
Will do. I'd figured it might be better for readability to have my comments next to the shot they're referencing, but if it's better the other way, it's an easy fix.

vilkacis posted:

Al's single-sized portrait looks odd next to the double-sized humans. I'd just make everything 1x-sized, personally.
Yeah, I was a bit worried about that. But the single-sized sprites for the humans make everything too tiny, and I'm planning to use official art portraits for the characters that have some to use. I could size Al up to match, though.

vilkacis posted:

Don't be afraid to include shots of things happening, like the king getting nuked. It feels like something's missing if we just go straight from him being there to... not being there.
OK, I was going to gif that, but I decided it might be too similar to Ryan, so I left it out. Would a gif be better, or should I just include a screen mid-nuke?

vilkacis posted:

That stamp-sized gif is kind of funny, but it's way too small. You can definitely get away with reducing the number of frames a bit in exchange for making it bigger - this is half the frames and four times the size, not terribly heavy, still smooth, and actually big enough to make out what's happening.
I'll readily admit I'm a complete newbie when it comes to video and gifs; I'm not really sure how to remove frames and still keep it looking smooth. I'm using VirtualDub to pull the gif from the footage, and Gimp to optimize. If there's a better way, or if you know a good guide or tutorial, I'm all ears.

vilkacis posted:

Generally you shouldn't need to crop down the gifs so much; even full screen images generally won't get that big (provided you're, again, using lossless video to capture them). Some things work cut down (small personal stuff like ) but for the most part they'd probably look better uncropped.
So I should keep the whole screen when I make gifs unless it's something very small and localized? Fine by me. I was trying to minimize file sizes in order to decrease the load on browsers (and slower Internet connections).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

mateo360 posted:

Now see, this is the kind of thing that really holds me back from even attempting a screenshot LP. I get trying to make it look good but when we are nitpicking on the pixel level on a PSX game it really just kills any enthusiasm to even try.
See, I'm fine with the nitpicking, and getting people to go through what I've put together with a fine-toothed comb is why I put it up in here. I'd rather learn this stuff now and not have to deal with the nitpicking when I'm 20 updates into the LP. If vilkacis (or anybody else) knows what codec to use or what settings to plug into OBS or ePSXe to stop that, it'll have been worth the nitpicking. It's just that the utvideo codec I used to get that shot in the first place is actually the best codec I've found so far; the others were all either worse or actually unusable. Personally, I think it looks acceptable, and as a last resort I could post it, but I'd like to try for better.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

vilkacis posted:

It's not really my table, unfortunately; I generally just save uncompressed video (which is huge, but clean) for what I need. I use the emulator's screenshot/video recording function if possible; otherwise Fraps because I've had and used it for a long time, but A, it's not free, and B, I hear it's not considered great at this point.

Still, the blur is fairly light for the most part, and it doesn't make your images super heavy, so it's not a huge issue.
ePSXe doesn't have a recording function; BizHawk does, but my PC's not great, so it tanks the framerate whenever anything is happening on-screen. Somehow, ePSXe + OBS (or even BizHawk + OBS) is much faster than using BizHawk's built-in recording. And I haven't been able to find any options in OBS that are truly lossless, so unless someone has a suggestion, this is probably what I'm going with.

vilkacis posted:

On the sides, too? Fair enough, then. If it's an in-game effect, do leave it in.
Yeah, all the borders are present in-game. They'll vanish once I start actually playing.

vilkacis posted:

You don't need to be able to make out every detail on the sprites, they just need to be big enough to identify the speaker. Smaller "portraits" are generally better, in my opinion.

Still, if you want to keep the 2x characters, maintaining it for every character is better. (I'd suggest cropping the large ones down to a face/head, though.)
Hmm. Maybe I should just go with 1x sprites for the portraits. It's not like a whole lot of the characters have art to begin with.

vilkacis posted:

It's up to you! We've seen the effect animated already, so a gif isn't necessary, but there's no harm in having it animated, either.

Try the "process every other frame" option under video->frame rate...

If it's still not enough, try the Convert to fps option and set it to, say, 10 or 15. You'll have to experiment a bit to see what works best; it's always going to be a compromise in terms of file size and smoothness.

I'm not familiar with Gimp so I don't know what kind of options it has. But reducing the number of colours in a gif also tends to reduce the size. It might still look decent if you drop from 256 to 128 or even 64. But again, it depends on the image, so you'll have to experiment.
I'll try "process every other frame", but setting the FPS to 12.5 resulted in VirtualDub cutting too many frames out; the gif of Garrett spitting, for example, was two frames, and just blinked back and forth.

I've already been using Gimp to reduce to 128 colors, and it hasn't had any really noticeable visual impact on the gifs, but the file sizes tend to get cut in half between that and Gimp's gif optimization, so I think I'll keep doing that.

vilkacis posted:

Pretty much. I think some things benefit more from having the whole screen, like the axe - it's better to see where it lands. Same goes for things like Al porting in, it's nice to see where it happens. But it's a judgement call, of course.

It's good to be considerate, I definitely try not to make my updates too heavy as well, but if you can make something look much better for a relatively slight size increase, it's probably worth it.
Both of those gifs do have a full screenshot directly after them; I figured that would suffice for showing what the layout was like. But if it's really better to leave the whole screen in, I'll do that.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Fixed up the prologue to my Wild Arms LP according to suggestions. Better now?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Honestly it's fine, and far preferable to having to watch amulet pulsing every 10 seconds. I haven't actually played any Witcher games, though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

+1 for recording and then grabbing screenshots, although I use AviSynth to edit video and grab screens because I have a programming background and am comfortable with a scripting language. AviSynth means I don't have to commit to anything ever until I need it; you have your one video file and a bunch of plain-text documents that take up probably less than 1KB unless you're making a lot of edits.

If you decide that method's not for you, then Irfanview's screenshot function is probably better than hitting Print Screen repeatedly, because you can set it to only pick up the game window (and only the active area at that, so no borders).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd say just do your commentary and put the game's soundtrack in the right places and it'll be fine. Just mention it in the thread/videos.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Combat Lobster posted:

Got a test video for a Iconoclasts LP I wanna do and I've been fussin with audio since yesterday. So mostly standard stuff like, does this look and sound alright?

https://youtu.be/cQmkKZOFmAo
You have noticeable audio desync (~0.5 seconds) throughout the video. It's not egregious, especially when multiple things are happening at once, but it is there.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

What I'm doing for my LP of Wild Arms (another PSX game) is playing in BizHawk and recording using BizHawk's built-in recording. It's pretty easy on your PC, always records at the PSX's native resolution, ignores any dips in framerate not caused by slowdown in the game itself, and as long as you select a lossless codec (or raw video, like I do) will always be a crisp video. Also, so far BizHawk hasn't decided to just up and quit working on me like ePXSe has.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Off the cuff, I'd definitely recommend resizing your images to at least 200%. 256 x 192 (the native DS resolution) works fine on a DS, but is kind of the size of a postage stamp on most modern PCs. Always resize to integer multiples of 100% (eg do 200%, 300%, etc, not 150%) and always use the Nearest Neighbor/Point filter (it's called different things in different programs; it might even be called "no filter"). This will make your images a lot easier to see, especially for people with less than 20/20 vision.

I'm surprised that your capture method for screenshots only gets one screen at a time; I thought both of the major DS emulators (Desmume and No$GBA) captured both screens at once with their built-in screenshot tool. Even Irfanview should capture both screens as long as they're presented as a single window. Then you just crop out the screen you don't want; there are utilities like ImageBatch which will allow you to do that to a whole update's worth of screenshots in a single go. And I personally prefer the method where I record a play session and then screencap from the recording (you need to make sure you're using a lossless codec though). It takes a bit more time, but you can pretty much eliminate mistakes like this, in addition to being able to provide gifs of stuff best viewed in motion.

As for names, I'd suggest either making up names yourself or just putting it up to an unbiased vote.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Oublietteer posted:

My computer is somewhat old and slow, and I'm not sure how resource intensive recording a video at the same time is. I was considering doing that, I'll have to research it. I was just going to do all the work for this LP on my Mac, but it looks like I need many programs to help out that are Windows exclusive, so it's good to know that now before I get too deep. I can test it out when I re-record with new names.
My PC's not great either, and won't record from Desmume's built-in recording function without significant framedips. You do have three options here, though:
  1. Power through. Even if your gameplay isn't at full FPS, the recording will be, if you record using the emulator's built-in recording. Try fiddling with the settings; recording unfiltered AVI files will result in less CPU overhead than recording to a container format or encoding the video on the fly, although file sizes will be huge (100 or more GB for an hour of video isn't uncommon). Encode after you record to save space.
  2. As Dragonatrix said, you could record your controller inputs first using the emulator, then record the AVI off of those inputs also using the emulator. This method will take longer (although you could do other things while waiting for the video to record), but it will result in clean gameplay and the best quality video.
  3. Record gameplay using OBS or some other screen-recording utility. For whatever reason, emulator + OBS seems to have far less system overhead than recording using the emulator. You might even be able to encode the video at the same time. This may require some mucking around in OBS' settings first, though, because the video I got from pointing OBS at BizHawk was not nearly as clean as from BizHawk's built-in recording, despite encoding with a lossless codec in AVI format. I suspect bitrate may be to blame.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

As for VLPs, you don't always need to talk over them in order to make them work. Subtitles are always an option. TooMuchAbstraction, above, did a subtitle LP for the romhack thread (Super Metroid Eris), and DoubleNegative is currently running a subtitle LP of A Hat In Time.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

What I've seen people do most of the time is they show the successful run first, then a "failure reel" of deaths.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

That might work for more recent LPs, or if you're willing to shell out the :10bux: for archives, but a lot of the LPs on the Archive are from threads regular users don't have access to any more.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

If you're playing a console game via emulator, I'd recommend going with the emulator's built-in recording, if at all possible. At the very least, I haven't ever had any video or audio problems going from that.

As for other screen recorders, I don't have a whole lot of experience, but OBS didn't gently caress up the sound quality the two times I used it (to record footage from Wild Arms and Devil Survivor). I used AAC encoding at 160 bitrate, the default for OBS (at least IIRC).

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Psycho Knight posted:

1. I'm aware the character portraits are not done properly. On top of capturing some different expressions to use, I also have to figure out how to crop out the background elements without the image looking all jagged. Now that the test post is done, I'll be back to work on that aspect.
I found some sprite sheets for the Vita version of the game here, including a compilation of character busts. I don't know if all of the characters and expressions are included, because I haven't downloaded the zip file, but it should make some of your work easier, at least.

Psycho Knight posted:

8. Replaced screenshot codes with images one at a time.
Admiral H. Curtiss has a solution for that one. Just name your screenshot codes the same as the image file (sans extension) and add a wrapper (I use brackets - []) and the program will auto-insert the extension and BBCode. For my Wild Arms LP, I was going with something like [LPWildArms01-001], with the first number being the number of the update the image was in, and the second being the screenshot number, usually in chronological order.

Psycho Knight posted:

[url]https://=https://youtu.be/nCym8oueWVI[/url] - Wake's Entrance
This YouTube link is broken. You can either do it like this:
code:
[url="https://youtu.be/nCym8oueWVI"]Wake's Entrance[/url]
Or like this:
code:
[url]https://youtu.be/nCym8oueWVI[/url] - Wake's Entrance.

Psycho Knight posted:

I'm just terrible at it, and I don't know any of the tricks or tools to make what I do not look like jagged rear end. I still can't get the drat character heads removed from the background. Like, I can select it, but I can't find a way to separate that into its own image. I might mess with Irfanview to see if I can do it there.

Thanks for the run down. You can see I don't mind the writing process since I don't stop writing. I need to work on that.

I would have to fiddle with this post to make some of your suggested changes though. It's pushing the 50,000 limit as it is.

Could I try linking the battle tutorial to a post of it's own? Only other thing I can think of is to put in the original tutorial battle, which just has you attack one time, but then the update is basically 100% Visual Novel.
Mechanics updates explaining how combat works and stuff like that are totally fine, I'd just make sure that you have enough stuff to fill out a decent-sized update.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Xander77 posted:

That explains a lot.

But why are annotations still a thing in the settings menu?

More to the point - is there a simple way to add subtitles to an existing video upload?
I think you might be able to use the closed captioning feature?

e: Not the automatic closed captions, I mean manually caption the video.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Maybe just make it a different color? IIRC, the Internet Archive banner is primarily red and white, and with the rest of the site also having a primary red/white color scheme, it might be blending in a bit?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Probably because the scripts expect each line to be its own update and break if there's more than one link on a line.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dash Rendar posted:

Tonnes Of Coconuts
Only in a Donkey Kong Country LP thread.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

CirclMastr posted:

Stay tuned for my text LP of the Witcher series, where I describe the videos I make but can't upload.
Kudos on making your lps accessible to the visually impaired. There's a whole untapped audience out there!

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, there have been a bunch of translation LPs in the past, though most have been screenshot. And even if you're not really interested in translating, if you focus on mechanics or creating your own narrative, as long as you make sure to explain what you're doing, that could be interesting too.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I dunno how story intensive most wrestling games are; it seems like a genre that would lend itself somewhat to the "make poo poo up as you go along" style of LP.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Some of your screenshots seem to be different sizes. It's kinda distracting. Is there a specific reason for that, or is it just a mistake?

I suggest using a batch resize program (like Irfanview from over in the Tech Support Fort) for processing all of your screenshots at once and making sure they're the same size.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Dragonatrix posted:

Make sure they're also PNGs and not JPGs like they are in the current one. Keeps the filesize down and looks better to boot!
Yeah, for a visually simple game like a GBC game, pngs are smaller than jpegs, despite their higher image quality, due to differences in the way the two compression formats work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Change the sort option from Name to Time. Also, the Retro Day option in the news post does that.