Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Does anyone have a good rule of thumb for how long you should pause on a dialogue section before moving to the next one when it comes to a video LP of a VN/RPG Maker/Etc type game?

I'm teaching myself video editing (slowly :shobon:) to expand the range of stuff I can LP (and also, like, for practical purposes, I already edit audio for a podcast I'm part of so adding video to my repertoire would help tremendously), but my reading speed is absurdly quick so I have no personal sense of what a good amount of time would be for the average person. (Obviously if there's voice acting that helps set its own metric, but this is for stuff without voice acting).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I am getting a strange error message whenever I try to update my LP with the latest update; specifically, this:

it says i'm 'triggering the security service' with my post but I'm...literally just trying to post an update, lol. I even tried it in the test poster and that went through without an issue, so I don't know what I could have done to cause this :shrug: I can reply in other threads with zero issue, and there's nothing particularly different about this update either, it's all lpix images and text and that's it

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

TheMcD posted:

Can you post the text you're trying to post on, like, Pastebin or something? Sometimes there's some fairly specific security rules that have something to do with trying to post code but probably have more false positives than were actually triggered correctly.

done: https://pastebin.com/LmbsivzT

also crossposted in technical issues, i wasn't sure whether to put it here or there since i thought that was for, like, hardware issues and stuff :v:

Mix. fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 16, 2021

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

TheMcD posted:

EDIT: OK, it's something with the equations. Once I remove them I can post it fine. Ask Astral about it, he should be able to figure out what's going on.

I can remove those easily, it's not like they're vital to the update or anything :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

yeah it let me update it the second i cut all the math out :v: thanks for the assistance

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I've been doing everything by hand but my WPM typing speed is in the triple digits so it's literally more efficient for me to do so :shepface:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

:shittypop:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

i like doing it manually because its also how i check for typos or character dialogue boxes i might've missed :v: (I also have all the dialogue portraits pre-uploaded and in their own document with URLs for easy copy/pasting so usually I don't miss anything lol)

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

hey, this is kind of a weird request (and i dont expect an immediate response anyway, its 3am lol), but would a mod (or at least someone who oversees this subforum) be comfortable giving me their discord (or linking me to a discord server so I can DM them from there, i'm not aware if there's an LP discord that could help w/ this) so I can DM them about something for a game I'm planning to LP? :eng99: Not a prem member so I don't have PM access or I'd just ask through that way, but it's something I would rather plan for ahead of time so I have something in place for when the LP gets to the point it's relevant. Sorry if I'm being weirdly vague, it's not something I really want to go into more than I have to.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

ah, thanks, i wasn't sure if it was still current considering the OP is like 5 years old and discord links can fail pretty often :v: I'll hop in here before I head off for the night and go from there tomorrow

the main reason i ask is that this is like.... a content issue, but one i feel i can write around/deal with appropriately if given the chance, and it's a single instance of a thing so it's not something that could possibly ruin the LP either. the closest comparison would probably be how falconier talked to a mod pre-emptively for the katawa shoujo LP, though its not....quite the same situation, so I want to make sure everything's cleared and above board and whatnot.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

sebmojo posted:

gave you pm's

oh poo poo well, uh, thanks

i already talked to a mod on discord but this is much appreciated regardless :unsmith:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

2 done, 1 technically done but waiting for a final update that ties it into the next game in the series (...which got delayed until 2023 lol), two in progress, list of like. 9-10 games I want to LP after that at least? I'm too anxious to stream by myself so LPing is my alternative lol

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

:v: I usually gauge it by page length and try to shoot for around 8-11 pages on average unless a story beat is too fitting of a cutoff to pass up, but I have no clue whether thats a good thing and Im also impatient enough that i sometimes get tempted to do daily updates if I have enough buffer lol

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I'm preparing my next LP (one that I will have a lot done ahead of time, for once, since there's no thread participation this time!), but I'm trying to streamline the investigation process this time around to cut down on text (and because frankly I think going 'ok next we click on thiiiiis and then next we click on thaaaaat ok now we're going to click on this ooooother thing' gets dull to read after a while :v:), so I wanted to get some feedback on an early chapter- how does the flow on this read?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

how do you successfully fight the urge to not pull the trigger on starting a new LP until you're close to the end of the one you already have going

because i made the mistake of starting the next one to have something to do as a break in between working on updates but now i just want to start that one too and do both :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, I gotta admit, ever since that guy who asked if it was acceptable to LP a game about... torturing fairies or something? It was definitely some skeevy horny content, I can't recall anyone who actually ate a ban for anything in the LP subforum, and in terms of probes I feel like it's usually only whenever people forget not to post spoiler in Jobbo Fett's C&C threads. :v: I have no idea why people have such a hard time with that one.

was that a different guy from the pokemon romhack amputee weirdo :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

The only LP I've "abandoned" is one nobody will miss because of how dire of a game it was. :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Lest we forget nightelf :v:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

sounds like someone needs to learn to slay more :wink:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Hwurmp posted:

What has borders given us

They used to give me books :smith:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

It's basically tradition at this point

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

CullenDaGaDee posted:

Heart goes out to him and his family, and I hope he knows he made plenty of things that meant a lot to a good amount of people.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

At least with stream vods you can just skip ahead lol

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Happy Landfill posted:

Man, I was like, this close to suggesting we create a memorial gang tag for Id :downs: Everybody laugh at me

make one to commemorate the occasion of everyone coming out of the woodwork and immediately going :stonk:

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

...and we're sure they aren't a delphisage rereg, right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Having like 20 updates for the next LP already basically prepared was a mistake because now i have to fight the temptation to jump straight to the next one instead of giving myself at least a week off between them lol