Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe
Best of luck ProfessorProf. This should be a fun way to relive the experience of reading this the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

little_firebird posted:

Are you planning on showing the original EP openings before the new prettier (?) sprites came out? Those tend to show things strictly chapter related.

Unless I'm confused about something, that's what I linked in the update itself.

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!

ProfessorProf posted:

Unless I'm confused about something, that's what I linked in the update itself.

...so it is. Never mind me then, I can't read well these days.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Ground floor of a great thread.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

gently caress. you don't even understand how hard i'm having to restrain myself from posting the ending theme to the anime, because it is art, the best part of the anime, and should be displayed in museums

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

alcharagia posted:

gently caress. you don't even understand how hard i'm having to restrain myself from posting the ending theme to the anime, because it is art, the best part of the anime, and should be displayed in museums

Why restrain yourself? The anime was terrible, but the OP and ED are both loving magnificent.

Full warning - there's a glimpse of spoilers right at the start of the ED link, but it goes by probably too fast to pick up unless you pause on the first frame. Still, heads up. Better link below.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Sep 16, 2016

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyymN-osUjY

this is a video without any spoilers that contains YAMI WO KIRISAKU OH DESIRE. Remember to always keep DESIRE in your heart and SACRIFICE SHEEP TO GOD if you want to become a true MAN OF SORROW.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Yeah go with that link instead.

This one looks safe, but for general linking going forward - always put youtubes in polsy links. People have a nasty habit of discussing endgame spoilers in the comments even for Umineko-related music.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
ware wa nani o motomuuuuuuuuuuu~

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
ProfessorProf: I think all those OPs should be saved until ep2, because there's a big character spoiler in them (Beatrice being a character in the game). The rest aren't that big a deal.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Eh, I figure if it's good enough for the anime and the game, it's good enough for me.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Okay, I have to admit, the one thing I didn't expect for the ED of this novel's anime was J-Rock Nightwish.

I can see what you mean about it being art.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

BGM: Doorway of Summer

"I don't know why, but this guy hates any vehicle. He always babbles that it's going to crash or sink. You're a disgrace of a man, you are."
"...Shaddup. It's only to be expected, with all that shaking... It was my first time on a small plane like that, so I just got a little stressed, that's all..."
"You call that uproar 'a little stressed'? Heheheh, if I ever travel overseas with you, things will surely be quite lively. Would you like to go to Egypt with your aunt? I'm sure you could handle 14 hours on a plane, right?"
"Ahhahaha! That's a good plan. Battler-kun, go get some training from Eva nee-san. Still, it's so hilarious! Ahhahahaha!"
"Wah-hahaha, now now, everyone's got their strong and their weak points. It's bad to laugh at 'em. Wah-hahaha...!"
"D, Dad, you're laughing too. Hey, Maria-chan, stop laughing already."
"Stop laughing already? Uu-!"

Dammit, dammit! Is being scared of planes really so bad? Everyone obviously thinks I'm a great big oaf now... Tch!

Since it's a neighboring island, it's not that great a distance. By boat, it's a leisurely 30 minutes to the island.

After going to the pier where the boat to the island is anchored, we saw a silhouette waving its hand.

BGM: Towering Cloud in Summer

"Ah, Jessica-chan, it's been a year since I saw you! You've gotten taller again, haven't you?"
"Kyah-haha, don't gimme that, it's embarrassing when you say that every year!"
"...H-hey, Aniki, you've gotta be kidding me. That's really Jessica?!"
"Wait a sec, George nii-san... This big guy...is Battler?!"

And then there's this. For what it's worth this particular side of Battler gets sidelined pretty early on. Until then, I guess you get to watch Battler try to get to second base with his cousin.

"Don't screw around with me, I'm a blushing flower of 18! Just like hair grows out, so'll other stuff! You think I got boobs just so you can go and rub 'em, loser!? And what about you, Battler? You got all ridiculously big only physically!! Did you get a little stronger?"
"Don't screw with me, I'll show you how much training I've piled up since back then!!"
"You're pissing me off!! I'll beat you at your own game!"

She's Dad's older brother's daughter. That older brother is in fact the oldest son of the Ushiromiya family, so for now, it means Jessica is the direct heir of the Ushiromiya family.

Because I'm the same age as her, and because we've always had boy-girl squabbles, since long ago, when we got together at the family conferences, we brawled together while still keeping a playful relationship. Jessica grew quickly, and the truth is, in terms of size and physical strength, I always lost to her. So, when we scuffled as a contest of strength, it usually went Jessica's way. Even though I clearly understand that I'm bigger now, I still feel like I can't win against Jessica with my strength.

"...Woh...ah...! What the, wha, you're getting serious...! Owowow..."
"Hey hey hey, this is nothin'! Jessica, you've gotten weak."
"Sh-shaddup. I'm a woman, so there's no way I could beat a man with physical strength forever, right?!"
"Weeelll, that's certainly true! The meat I put on my arms all went to your chest. It looks like it'd be a pretty even test of strength between my arms and your boobs, don't you think?!"
"I told you, my boobs aren't for you to feel up!! Besides, how 'bout you? Did your cute lil' elephant-san get a bit bigger to go with the rest of you?!"
"Stop it, idiot! Nooo, you perv! I'll be ruined for marriage! Don't touch my crooootch!"
"D, don't say stuff people are gonna misinterpret!!"

And I guess it's even more true for Jessica. She sure didn't think she'd lose to me. Because she lost so easily, she must be shocked at all the growth I've had these six years past.

...Six years, was it? Once more, I realize the blank that all this time means.

"Crap... total defeat. It's like I'm no match for you anymore."
"That's not true. Even Battler-kun must have his weaknesses. Right, Maria-chan?"
"Uu-! Faaall, faaall!!"
"Shh, cut it out Maria~, let's keep that a secret, okay?"
"Fall? What the hell's that?"
"Heheh! Sorry, but there's no chance Jessica'll be able to see that weakness of mine now! After all, the nightmare plane trip is already over and done with! Only thing left is the nice, quiet splashing of the boat trip. I never thought I'd start loving that piece-a-junk boat this much. Ihihi!"
"Hu-h???? George nii-san, is there something wrong with his head?"
"You'll understand soon. Very soon."

At the time, I didn't understand what Aniki meant by that big smile...

BGM: Sea

"Battler-kun, you remember? Look, it's Kumasawa-san, the servant."
"How could I forget Kumasawa baa-chan! Anyway, you haven't aged a bit in these past six years. Wait, you haven't gotten younger, have you~?"
"Hoh-hoh-ho! Lately, my skin has been getting all smooth and silky! And look, hasn't my chest gotten even bigger as well? ...Want to try rubbing it?"
"V-very funny! My breast rubbing is strictly limited to bouncy girls!"
"Even I had some bouncy ones in my youth, you know~? Now, now, please feel free to have a go!"
"Hyoo, gimme a break! It's girls I'm looking for! Not grannies!"

The jokes I'd cracked about Jessica were being used against me. Come to think of it, Kumasawa has always been the type to tease people.

"Kumasawa-san, stop that now. People with one foot in the coffin shouldn't jump around."
"To sport with the young is the best rejuvenation medicine. Hoh-hoh-ho!"
"It's rare for Kumasawa-san to come pick us up. Now, I do wonder why? Whenever you're entrusted with something to do, your lumbago always kicks in. *snicker*."
"Hoh-hoh-ho, Eva-sama, you are harsh as usual. I found myself with some urgent purchases to make, and while I was at it, I thought I would come welcome you all. Although, it does give a bad impression if the one waiting to greet you is a decrepit old woman. Hoh-hoh-ho...!"

Aunt Eva spoke sarcastically, but Kumasawa baa-chan's years of experience are nothing to sneeze at. She showed that she was capable of smoothly and coolly letting that comment slide.

Well, it feels weird to say it, but as a servant, old Kumawasawa-chan may be past her prime. She might behave as if she's doing well, but between the headache and the lumbago, her body is falling apart. To tell the truth, the very fact that she's still working is already impressive... How old is she this year again? She must be pushing eighty at least. It's incredible thata she's still able to act so brightly.

"You just seem to get more and more lively. Oh, that's right, here you are. It's the tea I told you about before. Look, I bought you some. Please do try it later on."

Aunt Rosa takes the bag with the present in it out from her suitcase. To think that she remembered the promise that she had apparently made last year and faithfully bought it. This kind of conscientiousness is just like aunt Rosa. She's the kind of person who won't forget or break a promise.

Whether or not Kumasawa baa-chan remembered the promise, she seemed deeply touched by the fact that someone would bring a gift to a simple servant like her.

It seems like her only flaw is a tendency to slack off. I hear she tries to get away from heavy or troublesome work by playing up her chronic diseases... In Kumasawa baa-chan's case, maybe we should call that a laid back craftiness rather than a tendency to slack off.

...Though it probably doesn't help her in the eyes of those paying her salary. Ah well, even if she's pretty flaky when it comes to work, I don't dislike her. I guess that's probably because of her cheerfulness and her constant smile.

"Haaa, seein' ya lookin' lively as always is the best! How's yur back doin' then?"
"Even with the medicine, it's not getting one whit better. According to the doctor, nothing can be done for this one. It's what's called an incurable disease, hoh-hoh-ho!"
"At any rate, Jessica-chan's only gotten prettier. Good thing she looks like Natsuhi nee-san."
"R, really...? Personally, I don't think we look alike at all... I mean, I don't even want to look like my parents. 'Cause I got zero respect for 'em."
"Now, you shouldn't say such things. *giggle*, even though there are quite a few people who don't want to look like their parents in our family."
"Ah, that's me!"
"You idiot, don't you start looking like me. Your nose looking like mine already pisses me off."
"What are you talking about? You're surprisingly alike, you and your father."
"Come on, you can't be serious... Just how am I like Dad?"
"You're his copy in arrogance and self-importance. Father's blood is especially strong in you and Nii-san. Wouldn't you say, Rosa?"
"Oh, absolutely. Krauss nii-san and Rudolf nii-san are almost unbelievably like Dad."
"Alright, alright already, why am I the only one under fire from the girls? Hideyoshi nii-san, please help me out."
"My my, Rudolf-kun, yer always popular with the ladies. I'm jealous! Wah-hah-hah-ha!"
"Hoh-hoh-ho! As usual, you're popular enough to make me jealous. Well then, everyone, shall we head over to the boat? Come now, Maria-chan, let's get on the boat together, alright?
"Get on the boat together. Uu-! Everyone gets on together. Uu-!"
"Hell yeah, this time around I'm not gonna be scared. I'm used to being shaken by the waves. With that piece-a-junk fishing boat, I'm less afraid of the shaking than the engine breaking down and the boat drifting off."
"Oh yes, Battler-kun, I forgot to tell you. That fishing boat was completely decrepit so it was taken out of use a few years back. Now we get taken to the island in another boat."
"Ohhh, right. It's Battler's first time in the new boat! It's super comfy! And frickin' fast! It can go at crazy high speeds!"
"Ohhh... That means less trip time, right? That sounds great! Anyway, even if it's only a bit better than an airplane, as long as we get just a little less time exposed to the danger of sinking, that's really just awesomely great~."
"...Uu-. Is Battler going to faaall faaall again?"
"That's only on airplanes. Everything's fine now!"
"Anyway, it's the captain's pride and joy, and it's a kinda modded high-speed boat. Seems he tinkers with big parts of it. He was bragging about how he attached four-base high efficiency propellers to it so that he could break 40 knots or something like that. I just remember how he's always bragging."
"Me too, I remember since we're told about it every year. The captain says that since he lost a speed contest with a foreign fishing boat a long time ago, he became obsessed with modding. He says that at the time, even though it was only in a fishing boat, his opponent could go at over 30 knots."
"To fulfill his thirst for a revenge match, he created an awesome whole new super high-speed modded boat. I'm sure you'll just love it, Battler."

BGM: HANE

"Battler-kun, you shouldn't lean over the railing too much. You might fall."
"Uu- Uu-!! Faaall, faaall!!"
"Daaaaammiiiiit, so this is why you were all grinning before!"

So this is the super high-speed boat that the captain started modding, oh yeah, it just can't be compared with the other piece-a-junk boat.

"Uu-uu-uu-!! Fall fall faaall!!"
"If I fall I'm in the ocean, I'll drown... a parachute... no, wait, where's the buoy?! Gimme a life jackeeeet!!"
"Waah-hah-hah-hah-ha! What's up, Battler, what's with that kinda attitude, waah-hah-hah-hah-ha!"
"Jessica-chan, Maria-chan, it's not nice to tease. Battler-kun, if you're scared, then just don't come out on the deck. I think that if you stay inside the boat, you'll be a bit less afraid."
"Heheh, that's a no thank-you, Aniki! Shipwreck victims are always the ones inside the boat. The survivors are usually those on the deck during the accident. That's why I'm here!! But, it's shaking!! I'm gonna faaall!! Whooooaaaaaahhh!!"
"Shake faaall!! Uu-uu-uu-!!"
"Maria, I told you to behave yourself! ...But Battler-kun, it looks like you really can't handle it... I'll go tell the captain to slow down for you."
"Whooooa, aunt Rosa, thank yooooouuuuu! I confirm that safe, slow driving is the thing, even on the seaaaaa!!"
"*cackle*! Don't do that, Rosa. Ordeals are necessary to the young. Right, Battler-kun? If it's only this, you can easily conquer it, right? Otherwise, you won't be able to go to Egypt with your aunt!"
"Whooooa, aunt Eva, you're meeeeeeeeaaaan! Ooh noooo, I'm gonna faaaaaall!! Life jackeeeet, parachuuuute?!! Whoooooooaaaaaaahh...!!! N-no, okay, turn it over and think that way!! What's the enemy aiming for?! He wants to make me afraid like this?! If that's what he's aiming for, he's soft, I'm not gonna be scaaaaaaaared!! But stooopp iiit, I'm gonna faaaaaaall!!!"

BGM: Sea

"...Haa... This speed is a bit better...earlier, I didn't even feel alive..."

The max speed I can tolerate seems to be considerably slow. But that earlier was abnormal... The whole boat was shaking! Sliding and leaping on the ocean's surface! Instead of a boat, I felt like I was riding on a flying fish...

Jessica was still guffawing at me as I leaned against the railing, tired and disheartened.

"I lost in that strength contest earlier, but I'm glad to know I'm no worse off where it really counts. But seriously, hahahahahah!"
"Dammit... go ahead and laugh. One of these days, I'm gonna find your weakness and I'll get back at you, and then your boobs will be mine to squish..."
"Ahahaha, well, we'll see about that if you ever do find it, okay?! Waah-hah-hah-ha!"
"Uu-. Battler, all weak."
"Yeah, Battler, all weak... I want to die on land, not in the ocean or the sky..."

Maria was patting my back, so I tapped her head in return. Her expression is blank as usual, but I understand that she wants to console me.

Judging from Kumasawa-san's big grin, our parents inside the boat are probably right in the middle of yucking it up over my big fuss. Dammit, I'm so embarrassed I don't want to face any of them... If I don't start on some other topic, I get the feeling I'm gonna be the butt of jokes for who knows how long, so let's pick a nice, safe topic of conversation.

"...Hey, Jessica. How are uncle Krauss and aunt Natsuhi doing?"
"My old man and my mom? Unfortunately, they're fine. Though every other word out of their mouths is 'study, study', which pisses me off. I'm so jealous, since it doesn't look like uncle Hideyoshi or uncle Rudolf say those kind of things."
"Hahaha, oh no. When I was slacking off during exams, I was always getting told 'exams, exams'. I thought it was annoying, but now I'm grateful."
"Hah, I knew it, George-aniki can be human too... By the way, my family is tight-fisted about praises. Haven't gotten a single one! Oh well, even if I got one I wouldn't listen, hihihi!"
"Battler-san, you still cannot return to your home?"
"...Well, I kinda go back now and then. I'm still leaving lots of clothes and stuff at the previous house."
"...Uu-? Battler has two houses?"
"Hm... hmmm. Something like that."
"Why? Why two houses? Uu-? Uu-?"

Only Maria, who can't really grasp the situation, voices her naive question. But even though they know, everyone glances at me and doesn't answer.

"Maria! Look, you can see the harbor now...! Look, over there! Can you see it?!"
"Uu-! Saw the harbor, saw the harbor!"

It seems Jessica intends to gently redirect the situation... Sheesh. It's not something I'd like to say, but being strangely trod around as a taboo makes me feel bad.

...I don't mind that much myself anymore.

Don't get me wrong, it's not like I ran away from home. The pig-headed one at fault is my dad.

...I don't mind that much about Kyrie-san. It's a big deal that she holds the old bastard's reins and that she can ride him out well... But just the betrayal that the old bastard inflicted on my Mom... Sorry, but I'm still scrambled up about it inside.

"*Ahem*. We'll be getting there soon."

George-aniki is trying to divert the conversation by clearing his throat.

"...Please forgive my indiscretion. It seems this old woman has said too much already. If I have hurt your feelings-"
"Heheh! I don't mind it and no one's feelings are hurt. Don't worry, Kumasawa baa-chan."

After Kumasawa-san said those tactless words she looked like she was regretful, but I stood up and tried to pass it off lightly so that I didn't have anyone trying to console me in some weird way. After that, I have a taste of some soda and go over to Maria and Jessica, who are gazing at the silhouette of the island.

"Uu-! Battler, saw the island, saw the island! There there there! Uu-uu-uu-!"
"Where is it...oh, I see it now. Even after six years, the island hasn't changed a bit."

The island's name is Rokkenjima.

Included in the Izu archipelago, it's a small island about 10km around. Just because it's called "The Izu Seven", lots of people misunderstand it as there being seven islands, but that's not true. There are actually more than seven. Rokkenjima is also one of the meager islands that couldn't even get included among the seven main ones.

That notwithstanding, there are probably very few people who know about this island, because only the people of the Ushiromiya family come to this island. In other words, it has no ties whatsoever to outsiders or tourists. Therefore, you're never gonna find this island's name in a travel brochure. Rokkenjima is in its entirety an estate possessed by the Ushiromiya head house.

So, only the Ushiromiya family lives there, and only people connected to the Ushiromiya family come and go. There's only a harbor and a mansion. The island is for the greater part left as uncultivated forest. Such a waste, when it could be made into a nice golf course. But, when one considers that the shore in its entirety is a private beach, I guess that makes it pretty luxurious.

I was living a commoner's life at my grandparents' home these six years, so I had completely forgotten, but the old bastard's house sure is awesome, and I think it feels like every single thing there is a gaudy display of wealthy tastes. Come to think of it, George-aniki, Jessica, Maria, and of course I, sorta turn into wealthy, high-class gentlemen and ladies. Needless to say, none of us feel that way at all. I don't see myself as being rich, and George-aniki, who is quite spartan, doesn't depend on anyone. Jessica doesn't need money, so she's always grumbling about how she wants to move to the city, and Maria's still a kid who has no interest whatsoever in money.

...Is that still gaudiness? Looking at it from the perspective of people in poverty who can't pay the bills, we must seem like we've been blessed with a lot.

Explaining more here would be too much, so I'll stop. Well, it's the same as not being able to choose the parents you're born from. I didn't ask to be born in a rich family. And I guess it's also a mistake to envy that. Whatever you do isn't estimated at its proper value, and people talk all the time and are sour because you're rich, so it's a lot to put up with...

While I was immersed in this kind of sentimentalism, Maria started to make noise while leaning over the railing.

:siren:Video: Misfortune:siren:

Have a quick look at the general flow of the game, plus a first glipse at the voice cast! So far:
Battler: Daisuke Ono
Maria: Yui Horie
George: Kenichi Suzumura
Jessica: Marina Inoue
Kumasawa: Hideyuki Umezu

"Uu-uu-! Gone gone! Uu-uu-uu-uu-!!"

Maria is clamoring 'gone, gone'. Solely from her words, you'd think she dropped something, but as she goes 'gone, gone' over and over, she points over the ocean.

"What's wrong? What's gone? I'll look for it too if you want. What is it? ...?"

However, since my last memory of the scenery is from six years ago, I managed to notice before Aniki, who comes here every year.

"...Huh...? ...If I remember correctly, wasn't there a Torii or something on top of a small crag around here? ...That's right, it was definitely there. I remember it well, since as we get closer to the island, it's the first thing to greet us, like a landmark."

"Maybe they were washed away by the waves or something? It was a small crag, it probably got brittle because of its exposure."
"I think so too. It probably disappeared during the summer. Whatever."
"Or perhaps a huge lightning bolt fell one evening and smashed the shrine... The fisherman whisper that having a thunderbolt fall upon our honored tutelary God would be a certain sign of misfortune. Lightning begone, lightning begone..."

Kumasawa-san impishly smiles as if teasing us, and makes a gesture rubbing both hands, mocking the Shinto gesture for prayer. However, Maria seems to be believing it, and screwing her face up seriously, she stares fixedly over the ocean to where the crag can be thought to be, where the tutelary God is enshrined.

"...A sign...of misfortune... Uu-."
"Enough, Kumasawa-san. Maria isn't old enough to understand this kind of joke."
"It's alright, Maria-chan. It's just a coincidence. Nothing scary's gonna happen."

George-aniki puts a hand on Maria's shoulder to calm her down, but Maria's sharp-eyed expression doesn't budge.

Maria repeats that word feverishly. Apparently, repeating a single word over and over is a habit that Maria's had for a long time. However, since the word she's saying is literally 'misfortune', it's kinda creepy.

"Hey now, Maria. If you say it over and over like that, misfortune will really end up happening, you know?"

I tap Maria's other shoulder. And then, Maria whips her head around, stares at my face, and unblinking speaks.

BGM: Hour of Darkness

Thinking to relieve the tension in the air, I answer light-heartedly. Then, Maria stabs her finger upwards, arm raised high, and points to the heavens. Looking up, the sky was cloudy as usual, but it had gotten a great deal more leaden than in the morning.

I see, she was saying a typhoon's drawing near... We're gonna have to spend a night on the island, but if during that time things don't go well, I'm not gonna be able to go to school on Monday. Well, I guess that's a perfect excuse to be absent.

"...Uu-..."

...It looks like she's sensing some kind of misfortune in this cloudy sky. She's been muttering that non-stop for a while now. Maria's at an age where girls tend to be very sensitive. Supposedly, girls who have a strong sense for the supernatural or who would make good mediums often start to kick up at just around Maria's age. For all we know, this could be her child-like sensitivity.

"It's alright, Maria-chan. The weather might get worse around tonight, but tomorrow it'll clear up and become a pretty blue sky."
"Uu-. Pretty blue sky... Uu-..."
"That's right, by tomorrow it'll be a pretty blue sky. There's no rain that doesn't end, no clouds that don't clear."
"Uu-... Rain that doesn't end... Clouds that don't clear... Uu-..."
"I know the typhoon's coming, but soon it'll go away! It's alright, Maria."
"...Uu-... Uu-!! Uu-uu-uu-!! Uu-uu-uu-!!"

Maria starts yelling her 'Uu-uu-'. It looks like she's losing her temper since what she wants to say to us isn't getting communicated at all. What in the world is Maria trying so desperately to warn us about? We don't understand, and we can't help but feel a vague sense of misfortune...

...I hear that everyone can feel the supernatural, but that it weakens with age. In that case, Maria, being the most juvenile of us all, still possesses that perception of something that we lost because we got older... I wonder if that something is giving her a warning.

Then, Kumasawa-san quietly opens her mouth.

Just as Kumasawa-san tried to begin some story, Jessica flatly interrupted her. Even from Jessica, it was extremely blunt.

Out of simple curiosity I wanted to press her to continue, but judging by Jessica's look when she interrupted the story, it's easy to imagine that its contents would stir up Maria's anxiety even more. Even if I insisted, I'm sure it wouldn't be a story to make the heart all bright and cheery.

"...Hoh hoh hoh, I do apologize about that... The wind here is hard to bear for the elderly, so if you would excuse me for now..."

When those that like to gossip are told not to talk, there's no reason for them to be in that place. When Kumasawa-san finally realized that she'd poked her nose in too far, she went back inside the boat.

BGM: Towering Cloud in Summer

Since he'd shown up partway through, he completely failed to notice the complicated atmosphere that hung about the scene, so he refreshingly and unwittingly swept that atmosphere aside.

"It looks like we're gettin' there! Right, just a li'l more! Since today we went all leisure-like, it took summat more time. Ya know whose fault that is! Wah hah hah hah ha!"
"Aww, uncle Hideyoshi, gimme a break already... hahaha!"
"Ahaha, please, say more to him. Honestly, because of Battler, it's takin' forever~!"
"...Uu-."

Maria probably doesn't think anyone's gonna hear her out. She's looking down with a fretful face. As she does, George-aniki crouches down to meet her eyes, and kindly speaks.

"Maria-chan. There's nothing to be afraid of. Because we're all together. There's nothing to be afraid of if we're together. Go ahead and say it."
"...Uu-... There's nothing to be afraid of...if we're together..."
"Yes. There's nothing to be afraid of if we're together."
"...Uu-."
"That's right, exactly what George-aniki said. If we're all together, there'll absolutely never be anything at all to be afraid of. Right, Jessica?"
"Yeah, no doubt about that. What George nii-san said will always be true, Maria."
"...Uu-. George onii-chan always true."
"Yes. I don't lie. So trust me. There's nothing to be afraid of if we're all together."
"Uu-. George onii-chan doesn't lie. I trust you. There's nothing to be afraid of if we're all together... Uu-, not afraid!"

Maria jumps into George-aniki's arms and clings to him tightly. As soon as Aniki caresses her, she jumps away. Her facial expression, in a 180 degree change, has gone back to normal. She'd turned back into the Maria from before.

"Uu-. There's nothing to be afraid anymore, because we're together... Uu-uu-."
"Yeah, that's it. You look all better now. You're strong, that's awesome!"
"...Uu-! Maria, awesome!"
"Whass up, what happened? Maria-chan, didja get seasick? Hm?"
"Hahaha, well, something like that. We'll be arriving soon."

The harbor was already drawing near.

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 31, 2016

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
I've updated the top of the thread with all character profiles available so far.

As a side note, my backlog is currently sitting at 8 updates, and I have a lot of free time coming up this weekend. If I break 10, you may see some bonus updates outside the usual posting schedule.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh. An annoying and possibly precognitive child. So is this archipelago the Japanese equivalent of Maine?

little_firebird
Sep 1, 2008

Why don't you
just eat your
belly button and die?!
I dunno, Maria kind of reminds me of Hanyuu. Verbal tic and all.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Aaand with that video any chance of me getting the game probably just went out the window. Maria seems absolutely insufferable and acts more like a 4-5 year old than a 9 year old.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Hating Maria in EP1 is an almost universal experience, yeah.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

ProfessorProf posted:

Hating Maria in EP1 is an almost universal experience, yeah.

So it's not just me? Awesome, I hate lovely little kids.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

pumpinglemma posted:

Aaand with that video any chance of me getting the game probably just went out the window. Maria seems absolutely insufferable and acts more like a 4-5 year old than a 9 year old.

Absolutely. Did you watch the video to hear her voice, too? It was a major factor, for me.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I'm glad someone is finally attempting this again so that I don't have to.

Umineko's probably my favorite VN I've played, so I'm glad whenever someone makes an attempt to show it off.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
It's almost too bad I read Umineko before it had voice acting, Maria gains a whole new level of annoyance with it. Makes me feel like I missed something important.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Wouldn't there be an option to turn off voice acting?

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
If you get the Steam version, it doesn't have voice acting at all (although there's at least an alpha of a patch to put it back in).

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

October 4th, 1986, 10:30 AM

It looked like we'd docked at the harbor. The boat's staff came out and jumped to the pier while holding the mooring rope. There was a largely built man in a tuxedo greeting us with a warm smiling face.

...I didn't know his face, but judging by his clothes, I guessed that he was a servant of the Ushiromiya family head house.

BGM: Novelette

"Aw, that's sweet of you! Mr. Useless here got all scared. Then we had to slow down. It was seriously annoying!"
"S, Shut up... someday, when the shoe's on the other foot, you'll remember this... ugghh."

At this rate, the word would get spread around the entire family and I was gonna be the big conversation piece at tonight's dinner. Even under normal circumstances it'd be easy for me to be on everyone's lips because it's been six years, but now I'd given 'em an even juicier topic...! Dammit, why does the Ushiromiya head house have to live on this isolated island!

In the meantime, the boat finished its mooring. A small plank was lowered to get off the boat. One by one, our parents came out.

"Battler-kun, isn't this your first time meeting Gohda-san? If I'm not mistaken, you weren't working here six years ago, right?"
"Indeed. Therefore, I shall present myself to him. I am pleased to meet you, Battler-sama."
"...I'm pretty secure about my height, but you're huge... This is definitely our first meeting. If I'd ever met a big guy like you, I'd never forget it...! It's a pleasure. I'm Battler."
"I do apologize for the wait. I have been working for the Ushiromiya head house since the year before last. I am Gohda (郷田), your servant. It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. If there is anything you can think to request, please ask me anytime."
"Gohda-san, it's been some time."
"George-sama, it has been a while that we have not seen each other. Please, allow me to assist you."
"As usual, ya're a reception pro... If ya ever get bothered with this job, call me anytime, 'kay? I'd hire ya anytime!"
"You do me too much honor. Please allow me to assist you, Hideyoshi-sama."

Gohda-san then helped with everyone's disembarkment and greeted them. His behaviour and presentation were polished and, how could you say it, just like a professional. Completely breaking with his tough-looking outside, he was very graceful.

Since he possessed that overbearing quality common in large men, I'd thought he'd be a scary person, but he was surprisingly polite the whole time. He said that he had worked on the island for two years, but there was no doubt that he had worked in the same kind of job before. After everybody disembarked, the mooring rope was untied and the boat started to steer away from the harbor. It was probably returning to its home port of Niijima.

The captain waved his hand in farewell. Maria conscientiously waved her hand back.

"Seagulls? The birds?"

It's true that whenever I come to this island, the seagulls always meet us with their lively 'nyaa nyaa' cries. And because of that, whenever I hear the cries of the seagulls in any other place, I get the feeling that I'm coming to a family conference. Rokkenjima, except for the small part where those of the Ushiromiya head house live, had apparently been turning into a wild bird's paradise after being left untouched. The whole wharf looked like it was turning into a huge seagull colony, and this island always was full of seagulls.

Since those seagulls didn't come to greet us, I felt a bit lonely.

"What's wrong, Battler-kun?"
"Oh, aunt Rosa. Nah, it's nothing really, I was just sayin' that since I can't hear the seagulls, it feels a bit lonely."
"My, now that you say so, it's true. Even though they're always so lively, today there isn't one to be seen."
"...Uu-? Why no seagulls?"
"Hmmm, maybe it's because the seagulls are having a gathering somewhere too? Maria, did you want to see the seagulls?"
"Uu-, wanted to."

"The hell, don't say disturbing stuff like that! You'll get Maria all confused!!"
"Uu-uu-uu-! Jessica onee-chan made them into yakitori, made them into yakitori! Uu-!!"
"I did not, I did not! Why the hell would I do something like that?!"
"That's right, that's right~, Jessica made 'em into yakitori! Skin n' meatballs, liver 'n onio~on!"
"Swim in meat dolls! Liver n' oniooon!! Uu-uu-uu-! Ahaha, ahaha! Kyakkya, kyakkya!"

As I made fun of Jessica, Maria tagged along looking like she was having fun. Ooh, so she's a person who goes with other people's moods! Alrighty then, from today on I'll make you my number one follower!

As I smiled at her, she beamed, looking overjoyed and possibly happy with my modest solidarity.

"That's not it, Maria-chan. It seems that wild birds are attuned to changes in the weather and atmospheric pressure. It looks like the weather will get worse around tonight. It's possible they hurried back to their nests."
"...Uu-. Not yakitori? Jessica onee-chan didn't make them into yakitori?"
"I did not, I did not!! I said, I wouldn't do stuff like that! Alright, Battler, you admit right now that you lied!"
"Battler-kun. Maria-chan is a naive girl, so she takes even jokes seriously. You should choose your jokes more carefully."

...George-aniki gently scolded me. Even though I outstripped Aniki in height, Aniki was of course Aniki. There was no choice but to obediently apologize.

"H-hey, my bad, my bad... Maria, that just now was a joke. It's just today the seagulls are all quiet in their nests."
"...Battler lie? George onii-chan true?"

Despite her having all that fun, she really was tricked...? Her pure eyes seemed to blame me... Maybe I went a little overboard with her after all.

"Yeeaah, that's right, that's right. What George-aniki said is true. The weather is bad so they probably went home for today. It doesn't mean they're gone, does it?"
"That's right. Tomorrow, when the weather gets better, I'm sure they'll come back and let us hear their 'Myaa myaa' cries."
"Uu-. They're waiting for the weather to get better to come back. Waiting for tomorrow. Waiting for the weather to get better. Uu-uu-!"

Maria was in a lighter mood, and was looking forward to tomorrow when the seagulls would come back and fill the skies.

"George-kun is amazing at taking care of kids. And you're not working in child-care?"
"Yeah, George nii-san, looks like it's what you were born to do. Personally, I see you doing that rather than doing business in some company president's office."
"Oh, no. Child-care is a fine job. But it's not a job where merely liking children is enough."
"You're truly modest, George-kun. But Battler-kun is also quite good with children! Earlier, even if it was just for a time, Maria seemed to be having a lot of fun. Keep on playing with her like you did just now. Just choose the jokes carefully though, alright? *giggle*."

Aunt Rosa winked at me, giggling a little. A real mother, I thought to myself, who's happy that Maria looks like she's having fun.

"Alright, alright, we're coming."

The old bastard was waving his hand for us to hurry up. But yeah, we needed to get moving. It's not like it'd be too late to have the same discussion after we got our luggage in our rooms.

"Now then everyone, I shall lead you towards the guesthouse where you will be staying. Please, this way."

Gohda-san called to everyone and started leading us. Kumasawa-san brought up the rear.

I'd guess the path was made twisting so that the slope wouldn't be felt too much, but personally, I'd have been happier if they'd had the guts to make some stairs in a straight line. No doubt they made the path twisting on purpose, to put on airs of distance and importance...

Before long, we saw garden-style stone steps. Aaah, from here on, I have some memories. Go up these, and...

At the top of the stone steps, we saw a beautiful guesthouse.

BGM: Hope

"Aren't the flowers less lively this year? It must be because the summer wasn't warm enough."
"I also believe that is so. When one compares with last year's blooming, it is a pity that this year's is a bit inferior."

Even so, it was a delightful rose garden. I remembered that every year before six years previously, huge amounts of roses had greeted me... This rose garden was the first thing that greeted the people who came to Rokkenjima. Even our parents, who came every year, couldn't help but let their wonder slip out.

And moreover, it looked like a 'powered-up' version of the garden from six years ago that was in my memories.

"It's amazing whenever you see it. It would be truly wonderful to have such a rose garden in one's home."
"Oh no you don't, who'd take care of it? With roses, between the bugs and diseases, it'd be hell!"
"That's right. Kyrie nee-san seems the type who'll take care of a rose each and every day so that no insect'll come near, right?"
"Huh? I don't have a clue what you're talking about."
"That's right. In this case, the rose goes after the insects like some nasty carnivorous plant."
"...Oh, so that's what you mean. Honestly, Rosa, gimme a break with that today, wouldn't you? I've completely done away that sort of thing, right?"
"I do wonder. Rudolf nii-san is a womanizer on the genetic level...!"
"That's alright, Rosa-san. If a rose gives me too much trouble, I'll snip it right at the root."
"Hoh-hoh-hoh-ho... such frightening talk this is."
"Guys who're popular with the ladies are always forced to live dangerously. I sure hope I turn out a bit prettier in my next life!"
"Hideyoshi nii-san, I keep telling you, it's not like I'm popular with the ladies. And you, Kyrie, cut it out with the weird talk. Hasn't my rose withered already?"
"Hey, Maria-chan, come see here. The roses here are especially magnificent."
"Hmmm, smells pretty sweet. Look, this matches my elegance perfectly."
"Hey, cut it out! Maria's gonna imitate you and get hurt with the thorns!"

She yelled at me as I leaned in to smell the rose's scent with an exaggerated gesture. 'No way' I thought, but when I turned around Maria was imitating my every gesture, making George-aniki smile broadly.

"Hey now, Maria-chan, be careful. Rose thorns can hurt."
"...Uu-? ...George onii-chan. Only this rose is strange. Uu-."
"Strange? What's wrong?"

It's not like there was a specific reason. If there are healthy roses, then there will be withering roses. That's all there was to it, but even though all the rest were healthy, one wasn't, and that seemed to greatly preoccupy Maria. It must have made her feel lonely.

"Only this rose isn't healthy, how sad huh...?"
"...Uu-. The others are all healthy, only this one's sad."
"Well, that's because they all bloom and wither. Rather than withering one step ahead, I guess you could say that it blossomed faster than all the other roses."
"Yeah, that's right. I think that it just bloomed to its max, fulfilled its duty and just went to rest. You shouldn't get so worked up about it."
"...Uu-."

It seemed that Maria's pure sensitivity was making her feel some emotional pain for the rose that withered alone. Even though she understood the logic of it, her sadness seemed indelible.

"Then, Maria-chan, why don't we look after this rose until we leave?"
"Uu-?"

George-aniki straightened up and felt around in his pocket. What he took out was the wrapping paper of the candy that Maria had eaten in the plane. He twisted it into a thin string, and gently tied it to that rose as a sort of marker.

"Heeey, that's pretty cute!"
"This is a marker for this rose here. Afterwards, come give it some water. I think Mr. Rose is sure to be happy."
"...Uu-! Come to give it water!"
"After all this trouble, it'd be nice if we gave Mr. Rose here a name. If we do, I think Mr. Rose'll be happy, and Maria-chan's mind'll surely be soothed."
"Name...? Name...Uu-...uu-..."

Maria started wracking her brains with her arms crossed, though still wearing her usual sullen face. At least she appeared to have been completely pulled out of her sorrow. Just as can be expected from Aniki.

"Now this garden, was it just as mag-nificent when y'all were kids?"
"From the time I left the House onwards, it started to really become something. Before that, the garden was simpler, but I'm still attached to that one though. Nii-san fiddled with it too much, with his slightly bad taste. It was better the way it was before."
"Eva, you've gotta think positive! Let the past go, ya hafta admire the prettiness of this garden now. That way, your heart'll be at peace."
"I didn't mean it like that... I was just saying that I wanted you to see this garden the way it was before too."
"Now then, everyone, if you please. I shall be guiding you to the rooms now."

Gohda-san called to everyone to ask if we were ready, but our hearts had been completely stolen away by the rose garden after a year of absence, and we didn't lend him an ear. Since we weren't a travel group, it wasn't like we had a strict schedule to follow. Besides, since our parents were visiting their old home, full of nostalgia, it wasn't like they had to let themselves be urged on by anyone or anything.

Understanding the situation, Gohda-san continued to wait, smiling widely, until our parents got tired of the roses and told him to guide us to the rooms...

"My...! Heeey! If it ain't Kanon-kun! It's been so long, how ya doin'?!"
Uncle Hideyoshi suddenly shouted. In the direction he was waving at, there was a slender boy.

BGM: White Shadow

"...Good afternoon."

...I figured he was probably younger than me. I realized by the general atmosphere surrounding him that he was a servant too. He answered uncle Hideyoshi's greeting, but he seemed unsociable deep down. It was a greeting that lacked feeling.

When Gohda-san noticed that our interest had shifted towards him, he went to the boy's side and introduced him to us.
"Battler-sama, I shall introduce you. He is one of the servants who serve the Ushiromiya head house. Kanon-san, greet our guest."
"...I'm pleased to meet you. I am the servant... Kanon (嘉音)."

Yep, my first impression wasn't wrong, he gave the feeling that he was unsociable, and a bit of a poor speaker. Compared to Gohda-san, who was extraordinarily polished as a servant, no matter what he did, he gave off a feeling of inexperience typical of his age.

When Gohda-san urged him in a whisper to give a bit more of an introduction, the boy named Kanon only cast his eyes downwards.

"Kanon-san. Could you perhaps give them a little more as a greeting...?"
"...No. Because we... are furniture."

It seemed that he wasn't refusing to greet us out of spite, but rather, he gave the impression that he had no choice but stay silent, not knowing what to add to his greeting.

"Ok then, nice to meet you. I'm Battler! I'm 18, how old are you?"
"..."

A silence, as if appraising whether it was a question that must be answered or not. But here again, Jessica plowed ahead.

"Um, uhh...! If I remember correctly, he's two years younger than us so,...sixteen, right?"
"...Yes, that is correct."

It looked like if given a choice, he would have preferred not to tell us his age. Him not wanting to tell his age was probably because he thought he would be looked down upon for it. I remember that when I was around his age, I hated being asked how old I was by adults.

I see, sixteen huh? That's gotta be a delicate time. In that case, I asked something I shouldn't have.

"Heh he~, I'm glad you're about our age! Just be cool and call me Battler! And I'll call you Kanon!"
"...Thank you very much. But just the sentiment is sufficient, Battler-sama."

Jessica looked all downcast for some reason. She seemed to think that my impression of Kanon was worsening because of his rejection.

Well, that girl Jessica probably couldn't understand the fretful male heart at this age. As his elder, even by just two years, who would lead him into adolescence, I took it upon myself to understand that.

"Kanon-san, could you perhaps be a little more courteous? A smiling face is also the duty of a servant."
"...I apologize. I shall make an effort."
"Hoh-hoh-ho... Gohda-san, Kanon-kun is trying his best, isn't he?"

It looked like he had already been well warned about his discourtesy. And apparently he hadn't improved a bit. Gohda-san kept his business-smile, but let a small sigh of resignation escape.

"...Well then, I still have work to do... If you'll excuse me."

It looked like Kanon himself was uncomfortable with remaining silent here any longer. After another perfunctory bow, he turned on his heels and started pushing the wheelbarrow again.

"What have you done... now now, quickly clean it up...!"

Since Gohda-san was one to harp on the fact that presenting a clumsy appearance in front of guests is a servant's shame, he urged him along in a low voice. Kanon-kun, who probably understood quite well without being told, wordlessly reloaded the wheelbarrow with the fallen objects. He seemed to be fine with the light-looking gardening tools, shovels and such, but he looked like he was having trouble getting his arms around and lifting up some sacks of fertilizer.

"Are you alright? You're so careless. Here."
"Milady, you will dirty your garments. Please, leave it to us."

Gohda-san took the shovel that Jessica had picked up with an elegant gesture. At his back was the figure of Kanon-kun having trouble with the sacks of fertilizer.

"...Uu-. You'll dirty your garments?"
"Don't worry, the ones I'm wearing aren't that elegant. Besides, I hate guys who make the waitress pick up the fork they dropped at a restaurant."

I lifted up the other bags that had fallen. Of course, they weren't light, but for me it was a piece of cake. Kanon-kun turned his surprised eyes towards me. It was the face of one who would never have thought to receive help from a guest.

"...B-Battler-sama... That's sufficient... I'll take care of everything, so..."
"Don't you worry! I may not look it, but I've got it where it counts! Heheh!"

Since Kanon-kun looked like he hadn't yet gone through his growth spurt, he was stuck with a sorta weak body. I guessed that this kind of weight was too much for him.

"It's quite heavy, isn't it. It's natural that it would be difficult for you. Kanon-kun, don't worry about it."
"Ok, my time to shine. This makes up for the boat part from before, right?"
"Ha! As if your antics earlier could be written off just by this! Ah-hah-hah-ha! Later, I'm gonna tell Kanon-kun too just how funny you were, Battler!"
"Faaall faaall!! Uu-uu-uu-!!!"

As they did this, I piled all the stuff back into the wheelbarrow.

Letting such a disgraceful thing be seen by the guests who were supposed to be made welcome...must have been hideously embarrassing as a servant. Pressed by Gohda to hurry up and exit, Kanon-kun left.

"You're too harsh on him, Gohda-san. Wouldn't it have been better if you'd helped him, instead of being a bully?"
"...That had not occurred to me. I deeply, deeply implore your forgiveness."

Without even a twitch in his smile, Gohda-san apologized elegantly.

"Kanon-kun has a ton a things he's good at too. It's just that bein' young works against him all the time. It's a cryin' shame."
"It's a prickly age. You be nice to him. Close-mouthed servants are just fine. Right, Kumasawa-san?"
"Hoh-hoh-hoh-ho, Rudolf-sama, you truly are harsh! There is no servant as silent as I, of course!"

Everyone smiled wryly at that shameless lie. Even she herself didn't believe that, not in her wildest dreams. She said that to loosen us all up. Yeah, that's the kind of character Kumasawa baa-chan used to be.

The mood that had stiffened a little was cleared up in a twinkling, thanks to Kumasawa-san's cheerful smile.

"I'd like to put down the luggage soon. Gohda-san, how are we to split up for our rooms?"
"It shall be the same as the previous year. I shall guide you. Please, this way."

We headed towards a trim, elegantly simple guesthouse. This was gonna be our temporary quarters for a night.

In his mind, he kept going over his previous mistake. Battler, big and strong, had picked up the sacks in front of him, the sacks he couldn't lift himself, as if they were feathers. It was extremely difficult for an outside observer to guess what emotions that favor had stirred up in Kanon. But as far as you could tell by watching him hang his head from behind, there was something that he just couldn't let go.

...Muttered words escaped his lips.

But those words he murmured were so soft that they didn't reach even his own ears.

Kanon hung his head, slightly biting his lower lip...

The brand-new western-style guesthouse that stood overlooking the rose garden had a magnificent design carefully done in harmony with the garden.

"Correct! It was built the year before last. And after that, they made us sleep over here.
"Hehe, this place's more fun than that junky old mansion you knew. I wish my room was over here!"
"Uu-! Maria wants one too! Waaant!"

...I guess you could say my house was also upper-class, but I thought it was completely ordinary compared to the head house. The display of wealth was shocking, as was the fact that they would build this kind of awesome guesthouse for guests who come over like once a year.

"Eva-sama, Hideyoshi-sama. Please, do make use of this room. Rudolf-sama, Kyrie-sama, please make use of this room here."
"Ah yes, it's pleasant how pretty and elegant this place is. Western style truly is wonderful."
"If it's just two or three days, western-style's fine I reckon, but if it's for a longer stay, then it's gotta be Japanese-style for sure! Japanese people are just meant to rest on tatami mats."
"...Haha, they've been fighting over making our new house Japanese-style or western-style. Mom still holds a grudge about Dad having the construction started as Japanese-style, and they bicker all the time about it."
"I'm really jealous, George nii-san. Your parents get along well, don't they? Mine are so frosty. But even so, they're right with each other when it comes to my grades."

All the rooms seemed to be two-person. I was grateful, because since things turned out like this, I wasn't gonna be forced to share the same room with the old bastard, under the pretext that we were family. I figure those two wouldn't be able to enjoy themselves with someone like me around, ihihi.

"What's that creepy smile all about? You're thinking about something dirty, aren't you."
"Ihihihi~! Something diiirrrty? Of cooouuurse not! Do please...enjoy your staaay~!"
"Ow, owowowow! That hurts, you old bastard!"

Once again, Dad pulled my ears from behind.

"Cut the crap. I'm getting a stomachache, and I'm not in the mood for this. You're the guest of honor this time around. You play as nice as possible with Dad and Aniki and the rest. At the very least, pay attention to what you say in front of Dad, got it? Because wisecracks don't go too well with him. Jessica-chan, what's the head of our family's mood been lately?"
"...Hmm... Same as last year, I guess. Considering they say he's got three months left, he's as stubborn, grumpy, and irritable as ever."
"Meaning, this year he's in his usual bad mood. And as usual, the only one who's able to take care of him is Genji-san?"
"It seems that the Master will only open his heart to Genji-san. Lately, us small people cannot even get an audience..."
"He's shut himself up in his study again, probably doing nothing but that weird black magic of his. What he does for a hobby is his own drat business, but when he starts stinking up the house, it really gets on my nerves... And I wish he'd never come out of that study again. Heheheh!"
"You shouldn't talk like that about the elderly. We're all indebted to him, since he rebuilt the Ushiromiya Family, and a little gratitude wouldn't hurt."
"Hm... well... sorry."

After being rebuked by George-aniki, Jessica had no choice but to take back her thoughtless remark.

Dad had said he was getting a stomachache earlier, but I guess that was what all the adults who came here today were actually feeling. No doubt they were jealous of us, the grandchildren, just playing and laughing without a care. From the stories Dad told me, the Head of the Family was a violent man who rained blows on his sons with his own fists and even beat his daughters mercilessly with a wooden sword.

If he was such a hard-rear end with his kids, why wasn't he the same with their names? Because of that, it's a pain even for us grandkids. Well, I'm not the least unsettled by his terrifying image. I don't have many memories of meeting him over the years, but I remember Grandpa, his face always full of menacing thunder-clouds, always making his surroundings shrink away with a sharp look. I remember that the room's atmosphere got so tense whenever he was around, you couldn't even breathe.

What my dad said right now about me being the guest of honor now carries a little more oomph for me.

"...Six years ago I was in grade school, but, as one would expect, I'm a high-schooler now. If I act up, things'll probably get serious... Ooo, scary."
"He does look frightening, but he's not completely terrifying. He's definitely never unfair. He's just very direct and not a pretty talker, that's all."
"But George nii-san, you've been the family darling since like forever because of your awesome grades, right? Grandfather treats us completely different! Like me, I've gotten slapped with a wooden sword. On my rear end, my rear end! On my maidenly, innocent rear end!"
"Well, you're the heiress of the head house, Jessica-chan. Grandfather is giving you special attention. You have to realize that his strictness shows how much he's expecting of you."
"Oh, come on. Seriously, I could just turn the succession over to you, George nii-san. It's a bit of a heavy burden for me to carry."

I think I already said it before, but Jessica was the daughter who would inherit the head house. As cousins of a branch of the family, the pressure on our shoulders was probably different.

"...Uu-? Jessica onee-chan, heavy? If Maria holds it, will it get lighter?"
"Hm? Ahahahaha, thanks. It's alright, it's not gonna get pushed on you, Maria. I'm gonna bear that cross until my grave. Don't worry."

She was grateful for Maria's innocent consideration, but it seemed that anxiety for the future she couldn't clear away remained on Jessica's face. Were we the same? If it was a high-schooler near an examination, nobody'd be able to hide their anxiety for the future.

"Maria, come here. Mom and Maria will be in this room."
"Battler-kun, you will be with me in this room here."

"Uu-! Maria likes here best too! Here is better than being together with Mom! Uu-uu-!"
"Okay, you like it here better too, Maria! Alright, this room is George's and mine, but we'll specially allow you to come in and out! Keep it a secret from your mom, right?"
"Uu-! Secret!"

Her mother, aunt Rosa, was right behind us, but Maria still answered, striking the air with her fists clenched tight. After our parents put the luggage in the rooms, they gathered again in the corridor.

"Anyway, it's gonna be high noon soon. Better let the kids unwind here. Besides, if worse comes to worst, this might be the last chance they get to play outdoors.
"Uu-! Maria will go too!"
"Maria, you house-sit for Mommy, okay? You behave yourself and wait here."
"...Uu-."

Telling Maria to take house-sit was a pretty lame excuse for leaving her behind. George-aniki soon realized it and gave a clear reply for all of us.

"Well, we'll accept your offer and house-sit. We have lots of stories to tell each other, after a year."
"That's nice. And Battler-kun has six years' worth, doesn't he?"
"Yeah, yeah. I'll take care of the house like a good boy."
"Kumasawa-san, I'm gonna stay here too! We'll leave the rest to the adults and us kids'll break rank, hehehe!"
"That's nice, hoh-hoh-ho. I'll report it to Madam..."
"Then, everyone, I will be guiding you to the mansion. Please, this way."
"...Since George isn't a child anymore, and is getting to be an adult, wouldn't it be better if he came with us?"
"If we make 'im come, only poor George will be outta place. Interactin' with his cousins is also important. 'kay, bye then!"

As we gathered in the cousins' room assigned to us, George-aniki asked us to excuse him for a second. He rushed over to Kumasawa-san, who was following behind the disappearing adults, and seemed to be asking her something. He soon finished his business and came back.

"What's up, Aniki?"
"Ah, nothing. I just wanted to ask something."
"Uu-! Tell Maria too! Tell Maria too!"
"...Hm~? Hmhuhuhuhu. What could it be that George nii-san asks Kumasawa-san and doesn't ask me, I wonder~? Ah, I don't have a clue~!"
"No, it's a misunderstanding...! I'm not sure what Jessica-chan is misunderstanding but...!"

Aniki was getting pretty tongue-tied. It's almost as though he had a guilty conscience and he was putty in Jessica's hands... Why? Something only Jessica knows and I don't is no fun at all!

"Well, Maria, it seems only us two are out of the loop, right~? What is this all about, now? I want to know, hmm~?!"
"Uu-! Battler and Maria want to know too! Battler and Maria want to know too!"
""Uu-uu-uu-uu-!!!""

I fooled around while "Uu~"ing together with Maria.

"No, I'm telling you... it's no big deal, ahahaha..."
"Li~ar! You suck at lying, now confess! Maria, you tickle his right side, I'll tickle his left!"
"Uu-! Maria right side, Battler left! Uu-!"

I think that when you're a high-schooler you try not to act like a kitten anymore, but in spite of that, I missed this kind of fun. A warm kind of fun.

"Haahahahaha, George nii-san, what were you asking Kumasawa-san? Hmm~? Well, I've got a good guess. It's been a year since you last came to the head house. During that time, some servants retired while new ones came over...and you wanted to say hi, right?"
"...Uu-? Greet, Maria will greet too!"
"What the hell, that's not anything to feel guilty about, Aniki... Hmm~~m? That's not it?? Maria, don't be fooled, what are you hiding, Aniki? More torture!! Uworyaaa!!"

"They're probably busy with cleaning or lunch arrangements. It's alright, we'll go and greet them properly afterwards. Shannon's reception will sure be better than Gohda's nosy one, right? Heehehe!"

Quinn2win fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Oct 31, 2016

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
Bonus update from overflowing backlog!

General advance apology for the first couple pages, before there's a lot to talk about. There's inevitably gonna be multiple updates on each page, and it'll make loading them a pain.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
So, I had no idea the PS3 Port Patch was as big of a leap from the old version as it is.

Considering different ways to proceed:

• Update everything immediately. Advantage: LP visuals remain in consistent quality from Episode 1 to Episode 4.
  • Switch to the new version starting with EP2. Advantage: I don't need to redo the 13 updates, 403 screenshots and 4 videos I already have prepared, reducing odds of a fast burnout.
  • Stick to what we've already got. Advantage: When I get to Chiru, there's no overwhelming sense of disappointment when I have to switch back anyway on account of this patch not covering episodes 5 and onwards.

Thoughts, thread?

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
Honestly if we even get to Chiru I'd be impressed. Go with whatever makes it easier for you to continue to LP imo.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I have no strong opinions on the matter. Redoing stuff you've already done sounds like the worst idea though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

There's also the option to switch but keep old stuff the same. That's probably the best option.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I honestly like the existing visual more, it lets you see the background art better. Don't switch at all, imo.

Dire Wombat
Oct 29, 2011

In this world, there is no truth. The truth is made later on and overwrites what comes before it. Real truth doesn't exist anywhere.

Rodyle posted:

I honestly like the existing visual more, it lets you see the background art better. Don't switch at all, imo.

This. I don't know that the dialog box really improves the game at all.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's especially weird because the port went to the trouble of replacing all of the blurred photo backgrounds (which I liked) with actual background art so slapping a box on it is an extremely strange choice.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

ProfessorProf posted:

"Hey, Maria-chan, come see here. The roses here are especially magnificent."
"Hmmm, smells pretty sweet. Look, this matches my elegance perfectly."
"Hey, cut it out! Maria's gonna imitate you and get hurt with the thorns!"

She yelled at me as I leaned in to smell the rose's scent with an exaggerated gesture. 'No way' I thought, but when I turned around Maria was imitating my every gesture, making George-aniki smile broadly.

I believe that's Battler talking in the middle. At least that would make more sense with the following text, and the sentences also don't match Maria's way of speakuuing.

Concerning the format, I also like the current version more than the PS3 dialog-box version.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Carpator Diei posted:

I believe that's Battler talking in the middle. At least that would make more sense with the following text, and the sentences also don't match Maria's way of speakuuing.

Concerning the format, I also like the current version more than the PS3 dialog-box version.

Good catch, fixed.

As for the format change, upon looking at the opinions of the thread, for now I think I will continue with the current version.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Man, I keep wanting to say things but then I wonder if they'd count as "oh boy just you wait nudge wink nudge" and not posting, so I'll just say that I'm glad to see another LP of Seacats.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,

Trying to talk about Umineko around unspoiled folks

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

ProfessorProf posted:

Trying to talk about Umineko around unspoiled folks

It's so hard!

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
I have vague notions of having caught at least parts of the anime for this game way back when... and then (somehow?) being both impressed and disappointed by it. My recollection's a confusing mess now, however, so I'm looking forward to having this LP show and explain everything to me in a collected and concise manner.

... I'm going to get totally lost, aren't I?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I saw the opening animation years ago and was like "Wow, that looks neat what is that?" and everyone telling me what it is and not to watch it cause it's bad or whatever. Honestly until this LP showed up I had no idea that this, or Higurashi for that matter, were originally VN's.

• Locked thread