Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demon Kaizoku
Nov 30, 2006

When Steven Universe throws his mighty shield, all those to oppose his shield must yield. If he's warped to a fight and sees a meanie in view, then the pink and the white and the maroon'll come through. When Steven Universe throws his mighty shield!
Been catching up with this thread the past couple of days and am finding myself rather excited to see how others react, perceive the actions, and theorize all the mind trip that is Umineko. Very excited. I find myself looking most forward to seeing from the rest of this episode to the sixth (assuming your determination will hold up for that long, though I'm hoping you will succeed with posting all eight that the others could not).

Prof, I'm to assume that you also plan to include the transitions between episodes?

Demon Kaizoku fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Kaizoku
Nov 30, 2006

When Steven Universe throws his mighty shield, all those to oppose his shield must yield. If he's warped to a fight and sees a meanie in view, then the pink and the white and the maroon'll come through. When Steven Universe throws his mighty shield!

ProfessorProf posted:

The profiles page has been updated.

Holy crap, Prof. With the screencaps, music links, and even the character icons and text... just how much of a backlog do you have right now? The episodes always felt incredibly lengthy to me (the first episode especially).

Demon Kaizoku
Nov 30, 2006

John Lee posted:

They DID ask her many of those things, though. They asked what she looked like, and I'm pretty sure they asked what she was wearing. And this time just recently, they asked her "Who was it?" and she replied "psh, you wouldn't believe me." And they came back with "But who was it REALLY" and Maria just went "BEATRICE, OKAY!?"

I'm pretty sure that, to Maria, she could see it was, to name a random name, Uncle Fester, but that his demeanor and behavior CLEARLY pointed to it REALLY being Beatrice, the real witch who totally exists. So the fact that it appeared to be Uncle Fester is of little consequence (not to mention that acknowledging that would be implicitly taking a step forward on the slippery slope of WITCHES AREN'T REAL).

When I was reading the episode and it came to those points, I couldn't help but wonder that maybe asking what she looked like would be a little pointless (since she'd just say based on the portrait shown in the mansion. "Uuu-! Did you not see her portrait??") Though that still begs the question of another possibility - why didn't she say that even once? If she described what Beatrice looked like based on the portrait, why not say it anyway whether the cousins doubt it or not? A flaw, or perhaps she was hiding some detail she knew of the killer's appearance? Maybe through her occult obsession, she believes no matter what they look like if they were to say perform a certain action, she would just perceive it to be Beatrice without question whether the person dressed like her, performed something witch-like, or through the perspective of her obsession believes she's just using an illusion spell or something.

If she had mentioned something like that previously, feel free to correct me, but I don't think she ever did.

Demon Kaizoku fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Oct 10, 2016

Demon Kaizoku
Nov 30, 2006

ProfessorProf posted:

She was facing the wall in the inner part of the room, standing stock still, completely alone. She faced away from this horrible scene, standing by the wall, singing her song over and over...

There was nothing else in the room. Just the corpses of the three who had been brutally killed, and the receiver, which was still off its hook, showing that it had been this room that the call had come from. Just that and Maria, her back to this scene, facing the wall as she kept on singing...

We couldn't even scream at this bizarre scene. We could only stare shocked, our mouths hanging loosely open...

If you watched the linked video and saw this part in particular and the way it moves towards Maria's backside, it's especially creepy. It's all rather well done in making it unsettling. My first experience when reading the episode consisted of me seeing this particular sequence during the late middle of the night in my bedroom in dim lighting. Not one of my brightest moments, I have to admit. :gonk:

ProfessorProf posted:

If anyone has concerns about where this is all going and whether or not I've cruelly led you astray, I recommend at least hanging around until EP2 begins.
Seriously. The whole of Umineko is something one needs to experience at least once if you haven't already.
Prof, you intend to post the remaining parts for the episode right? I'm assuming you are, anyway.

VVV My bad for not having noticed that.

Demon Kaizoku fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Oct 12, 2016

Demon Kaizoku
Nov 30, 2006

Sayaka Ohara (Beatrice) is a real treasure to listen to. She really is. You can tell how much she enjoys playing the role with every word she says. I love it. :allears: If you haven't watched any of the videos in the thread thus far for the voice acting yet, I recommend you do so from now on. While everyone's really good I can't help but consider Beatrice being on another level, altogether.

Demon Kaizoku fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 14, 2016

Demon Kaizoku
Nov 30, 2006

resurgam40 posted:

Christ Jesus! :gonk: Ok, forget whatever the gently caress I was saying about Beatrice being benign in any capacity, because anyone who makes a face like that is not your friend.

Two updates on, and my understanding of where all of this is going is upended again. It seems the undercurrents of horror these relationships have are deliberately apparent, since apparently Beatrice needs them as impetus to fulfill her legend... or are just for funsies! So that bit about making nice with Shannon and encouraging her relationships was never meant to make Shannon stronger, it was to foment a toxic relationship meant to fall apart for her amusement? loving bitch; I'm glad Kanon told her to gently caress off and crushed her silly pendant which may or may not even work! (We still have that ambiguity as to whether Beatrice is doing anything except make faces here, as the relationships built up could be a result of natural consequences, rather than any magic) And Kanon... dang, it might be sad, but it's probably for the best that he recognized the weird dynamic that would always exist if he took Jessica up on her offer, and turned her down; it may have hurt her, but he proved himself not furniture at all, even if he doesn't believe that. And I guess Battler was jumping the gun on JessXKanon pairing, too: what he saw as proof that Jessica "loved" Kanon is just sorrow that Kanon died while still denying his own individuality (which isn't really true either), and while Kanon was getting to see other sides of Jessica and possibly warming to her, he most definitely was not about to jump into her arms because she said so.

In short: love stinks, and the stage is set for a bloody massacre come October, due to all this pain and sorrow. At least Shannon and George are still-

"Maybe that's true. And furniture has to listen to what people say."

GEORGE!! What the gently caress!? :stare: At least Jessica to her credit tried to reject the furniture stuff!

Oh, Beatrice. You manipulative witch you. :allears:

SardonicTyrant posted:

+1 :byodood: Beatrice. Maybe we should keep a tally of how often Kinzo does that.

Or take a shot.

ProfessorProf posted:

By my count, Kinzo said 'Beatrice' 17 times in Episode 1, and 5 times so far in Episode 2, for a total of 22 Beatrices.

Sheesh, I almost forgot how whiny Kinzo was at the beginning of this episode. Though at the rate we're going, any drinking game towards Umineko itself would lead you to alcohol poisoning. How about taking a shot whenever Maria Uu-s?
No, that's even worse. Let's just stick to a tally. :gonk:

Looking forward to any newcomer reaction towards the second installment.

Demon Kaizoku
Nov 30, 2006

ProfessorProf posted:

What we really need is for Rosa to stop playing this drinking game.

I'll say. I mean drat, woman. Get some therapy. :(

Demon Kaizoku
Nov 30, 2006

ProfessorProf posted:

"Hoh... Why do you say that again...?"

Believe this line is Kumasawa instead of Hideyoshi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Demon Kaizoku
Nov 30, 2006

Viola the Mad posted:

:allears: Now that's the witch I know and love. I've been looking forward to Beatrice faces throughout this LP.

I think this better represents the witch we all love. :swoon:

ProfessorProf posted:

"Kukikikikiki, yes, yes, that's it, that's it, that face, that look on your face is what I wanted to see!! Kikikikikikikikikikikikikikiki!! How truly enjoyable!! That's enough, die, die, make me laugh!!"

• Locked thread