Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's amazing to see how much of a dialogue switch Maria has - normally she seems to have the speaking ability of a six year old, if not a little younger with that placeholder sound, but when magic comes up, she speaks quite clearly and with a fairly advanced vocabulary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

MonsterEnvy posted:

So yeah it appears the reason Maria is so ok with this is because she believes in the witch and that everyone will be resurrected in the golden land. And in turn everyone will be better and nicer there.

And she's also just young enough (especially with the implied neuro-divergence issues) that she wouldn't have the sense of topic appropriateness, given there's a lot of poo poo kids are okay with that adults find nightmareish

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Japan is culturally pretty terrible towards people with mental illnesses and those on the spectrum, it's only recently that you start seeing support for them, in 1980s? I bet you no one even brought up the possibility that Maria is either autistic or has some other developmental disorder, and simply told Rosa that she's just being a difficult, problematic student.

So I don't think anyone even realizes that she's not doing it to be mean, she's just thinking on a totally different wavelength that nobody understands.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

To be fair to Natsuhi, the woman was already under a lot of stress before the murders even started, lost her husband (Not much of a loss given how much of a dickbag he is, but she did like him), has been pretty much the one trying to keep everything together without breaking down herself, and probably also carrying the mother of all stress-induced migraines on top of it all (Hell I'm pretty much nonfunctional with stress headaches - the fact she managed to do all the planning and organization she did is a testament to her grit), the letter is probably the straw that just broke the camel's back.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 11, 2016

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's sad to think of how loving bad Natushi's biological family must be if marrying Krauss is considered an improvement.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Jessica's asthma is made worse by the stress from being forced into a role she hates and the double-life she leads.

Yeah, the scene was going well until Eva made that comment, causing Rosa to feel self-conscious and in turn lash out - that family is loving cutthroat and any weakness must be eliminated, adding to the vicious cycle.

Battler did well in ditching that family for six years.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And given as many readers (myself included) sees Maria, or could reasonably argue that she's on the spectrum, which until extremely recently wasn't really seen as a thing and autistic children are treated as simply "Difficult" or "Defiant."

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Viola the Mad posted:

I can't help but wonder if Natsuhi's insistence that Kinzo never had a mistress, nuh-uh, no way, is her projecting a bit. The rest of the adults take it for granted that Kinzo had someone on the side (or at least accept the possibility). But Natsuhi has really internalized the patriarchal values of the Ushiromiyas, where the woman's value is reduced to wife and mother, and she had a lot of difficulty getting pregnant. We've seen how insecure she is, so I wonder if the idea of Kinzo having a mistress cuts a little to close to home for her.

It's very likely, especially given how twice Krauss tries to shut her down during this conversation, and has shown that he kept things from her.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

given we've seen Beatrice use the term even when she's not berating or manipulating Shannon and Kanon, I wonder if it's part of some occult practice. I'm also sure Gohda is Krauss' and Natushi's employee not Kinzo's thus the man's refusal to be served by him, given his paranoia of his 'vulture children'.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

resurgam40 posted:

Something else I noticed in all of the brouhaha: the way Beatrice talked about furniture is almost the way one would talk about a familiar. Kinzo made the servants wear his crest... could he be so dedicated to the art that he actually tried to name them his familiars, and possibly try to do things like see things out of them and such?

Honestly that was the thought that came to mind when Beatrice first used Furniture, it didn't feel like she was using it just to mock Shannon and Kanon, but rather she's using it like a technical term that's part of her "Profession" - that 'familiar' is the layman's term for what Furniture is. Given Kinzo's obsession, I would not be shocked if he actually did try to create familiars for his own ends.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

yeah, PW got referenced a lot in that period, Haruhi had an entire segment where she was almost frame for frame imitating Phoenix's mannerisms (and Kyon rolling his eyes the entire time), makes sense this got carried over in the updated artwork - and I believe Agatha Christie got mentioned in passing.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

And also means the group will waste their time looking for Kanon or try to counter him, leaving the real culprit free to move about.

I think there is a way to kill six people quickly and with little fuss: drugging them, after all Nanjo doesn't have a means to test for toxins: either before they enter the chapel and they were carried in (which would take a long while and increase risk of discovery), or afterwards (how did the culprit get all six to join them?)

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Which makes her brief appearance to Kyrie the odd one out, and I doubt if we go with The 19th Guest is a witch that it was accidental.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Actually, if your theory is on, this could be revealing, we did see moments where Rudolf tells her to shut up as so he doesn't look weak in front of his siblings, and she said as much that she's not allowed to engage in the talks

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

curiousCat posted:

She's also the only woman wearing pants. Conspiracy??

Eva wears pants under her Qipao

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Yeah, it's one thing if it's kids bullying kids, but Krauss and Eva were teenagers and adults, and Rudolf a teen himself - it's no wonder Rosa has trust issues.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It sounds a bit like the previous Ushromiyas were kind of messes prior to Kinzo from that bit where they explained how he became head, but he definitely set the standard.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

resurgam40 posted:

Strawberry Shortcackle

I snorted coffee at this, and it was painful.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Did you give yourself at avatar resurgram or did someone else? Because it's highly apropos

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

given we're seeing more, while this looks like it's shaping to be Eva's chapter, I'm hoping we'll learn a bit more about Kyrie this time around as out of all the adults, she's the most enigmatic.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I try, but I cannot follow the Raven's Paradox at all.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I'm glad someone else noticed Rudolf's reaction to wolves is "Can I pet them??" and him being terrified of a witch compare to his current-ish self telling Battler that stuff doesn't exist.

But man, poor Rosa, she really got the worst out of all the adults.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

The only issue with using Rudolf's or Krauss' body to fake Kinzo's death is that the group ID'd the body as Kinzo's due to his six toes - which is an inheritable trait, it's not a very common one,

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Or given how delusional he seems at times, he may just flat out not recognized a middle-aged, and then elderly woman as his BEATROICCCCH, refusing to believe that his beloved witch could age and grow old.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Obviously the culprit is a unicorn, it's not a person - and most can only be seen by the pure, and that sure as hell isn't anyone in the cast.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

I suspect the Little l lord is to indicate the chapel is important to Kinzo, instead of it being a place of holiness, given we're seeing Ars Goetia demons and talk of philosophy, I think they would try to make such important distinctions.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Too sentimental perhaps for Kinzo's personality, but symbolism is extremely important in magic and mysticism - so a shore being a life transition may just fit.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Holy poo poo.

I thought Kyrie was the other woman, but it seemed it was the other way around at the start - also did they just put down both stakes? Impressive.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

One of the more famous bits of Deen's off model is they forgot to put a mouth on one of the Cheisters - and not when she was in the background, but when she was front and center in a close up.

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Dec 31, 2016

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Honestly I never expect Krauss to have any kind of self-reflection, he seemed like the one who is most immune to reality.

There's definitely a kind of theme of power corrupts going on - especially for those who had little power or agency of their own.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

resurgam40 posted:

Did she? It seemed to me that she blamed her siblings for becoming so screwed up, but did she take it as far as Kinzo? That's why Krauss' lament jumps out so much to me, that he specifically mentions his father's expectations and inability to meet them as the root cause of his own abuse of the siblings. And he's the one of the siblings that always seemed to take his duties and the Ushiromiya headship somewhat seriously (even if there was a real sardonic element at play when he directly spoke to Kinzo). So this is... surprising.

Yea, I'm pretty sure Rosa barely mentioned Kinzo, probably because being so much younger than the rest she probably didn't have near the level of "Bonding" the others had with the man who holes himself up in his room for the latter part of his life and would've shown even greater disinterest in yet another girl after Eva. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the time she had with the old bastard is after she was grown up and out of the house.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

tiistai posted:

I would assume that you can set an incinerator, of all things, alight with something other than a lit cigarette. Also, are you seriously suggesting that Hideyoshi, after murdering someone, decided to hang around the crime scene, have a smoke and then just dump the cigarette there?

People have been caught that way - smoking is a way to settle nerves and a habitual one.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Don't underestimate the compulsion smokers have; I've seen friends light up automatically when walking outside even knowing they'd have to go into another building less than thirty seconds later, meaning they'd waste the majority of the cigarette. A habitual smoker barely realizes they're doing it unless you point it out.

Yea, speaking as someone who had a relative with a pack-a-day habit, it's reflexive - get stressed, light a cigarette to calm down, it's completely second nature.

And Hideyoshi is hardly a cold-blooded man, so he kills/helps arrange the crime scene, gets extremely agitated - and he has to put on a poker face for when the bodies are 'discovered', he lights up without thinking to settle his nerves and compose himself to act out a big lie.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

or the difference between using a single-action rifle and someone using a shotgun on a pheasant, Beato's precise, Evatrice doesn't care about the integrity of the game she just shot.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

CottonWolf posted:

This assumes that he doesn't know about the recursions. If he knew in advance that things would repeat, especially if he knows what the end state is, he's just playing a more passive version of Bernkastel's game.

There's points where it feels like he seems to be aware of the meta game on some level - but it's hard to say if he really did, or it's part of his deranged OH DESIRE ramblings

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Boot-licking/feet-kissing has always been an act of submission - or kissing the hem of your lady's skirt if you look at some medieval romances - she doesn't demand concession, she demands submission from her opponent.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

It's clear that Battler is clearly a *Silly Cow* who cannot understand why *Parties" is important because he refuses to *smell* the significance of Witches.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

idonotlikepeas posted:

It's possible, but if they're trying to protect her, why not Battler too? It's not like two people who have contact with each other getting sick at the same time would be that suspicious.

If we assume Kyrie's in on it, but not necessarily Rudolf, it might be either she has lingering resentment over Battler's existence or believes given his age and how they kind of have a more friendly relationship that she believes he would be capable and will collude with them when the time comes.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Honestly, I kind of don't like the theory for this reason. Having Battler be in on it feels kind of like a cheap trick. Maybe additional information in the next episode will contextualize things, though.

As I said, it's assuming not Battler is actually an accompliance, but Kyrie and/or Rudolf believes he is willing to be one, thus why he wasn't sickened if we go with the idea they deliberately got Ange sick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

oath2order posted:

It is worth considering that a part of Rosa's problem is that, besides just the hosed-up family she came from, Japanese Society of the 1980s does not particularly give much consideration to the needs to single moms.

Especially if Maria is special needs or gifted as her bio implies

Robindaybird fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jan 24, 2017

• Locked thread