Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

ProfessorProf posted:

There's pretty much no way to please everyone when it comes to sprite selection, yeah. Original flavor's weaknesses are pretty obvious (although it probably has the best facial expressions of any version), and the Steam sprites look all right on some characters, but some of the others look a bit too much like Rodyle's avatar. PS3 seemed like a nice compromise, plus I like being actually able to tell what's going on in the backgrounds for once.

Did you consider the full PS3 port? They password protected it so people would buy the game but you can find it out via googling really easily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
ProfessorProf: I think all those OPs should be saved until ep2, because there's a big character spoiler in them (Beatrice being a character in the game). The rest aren't that big a deal.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Dire Wombat posted:

This. I don't know that the dialog box really improves the game at all.

There's a lot more than the dialog box. It's got an updated translation, more character sprites (Kanon will no longer spend the entire game with his arm up in the air), and better visual effects. You just can't see that from the one example Prof gave us. Plus we're going to get the dialog box in Chiru anyway so we might as well get the switch over with (and by over with I mean starting in ep 2, no need to redo work).

There's also a good chance they'll finish Chiru by the time the LP gets there.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 19, 2016

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Shiny777 posted:

It adds the textbox, yeah. Though I haven't checked back and updated for a couple years, so they might have a version that doesn't have it by now.

There hasn't been an update to Chiru since the one release.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
For those who haven't played it, this tea party section is a reference to Higurashi's "All Cast Review Sessions". They were noncanon bonus scenes that took place after the first 4 episodes and involved everyone in a room discussing the episode and it's mysteries.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Man, I don't know. I don't think there's a 19th person, at least not in this cycle. Beatrice's nuclear meltdown and the similarity of her appearance to Rosa's really just makes me think rosa is the main culprit for this scenario.

She has two solid enough motivations to kill her siblings. Revenge and money. Jessica and George also represent unacceptable barriers to Maria becoming the heir.

The servants can be explained as collateral damage. They knew too much and raised the risk level too high. Now all that remains, really, is Battler.

I suppose this is too much why and not enough how, but those are the factors which make me believe that Rosa is the so called witch. She is also the person we see behave with the most outward violence. She is relatively young and appears physically healthy, so some feats of strength aren't out of her reach, unlike Kumasawa...

And that last scene with Natsuhis room being broken into by the witch... Rosa has a firearm. If she can't kick the door down because of gohdas superior strength, she can shoot him through it. Then she can kill Shannon and George.

So what, then, are Battler and Maria doing during my hypothetical version?

Don't forget that last we knew, Rosa was barricaded in the room with Battler and Maria. You need to figure out how and when she snuck out with this theory.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

idonotlikepeas posted:

Of course, she is not counting herself, a weird butler, anime stake girls, or a theoretical horde of imaginary goat-headed men. Because they're "magical beings", right, and not humans, as if that's something that could exist. Except... we have three servants who are also claimed to be "furniture", magical beings, created by Evil Kidnappin' Grandpa via his delusional magical practices. Beatrice goes on at great length about how they are not human at all! The only one whose humanity she may have vaguely acknowledged is Shannon, and she later denies it anyway. So, by her own words, those 18 people cannot possibly cover those three servants, meaning that there could easily be three more people on the island than we've seen! Of course, one could say that this is some kind of translation difficulty instead, and that really whatever word she was using instead of "human" ought to cover magical servants too... but then there would have to be more, because of her completely fake anime squad! And one could say that they are actually human after all, but in that case, all that magical bullshit that happened with those servants is null and void!

Now, it's going to be more interesting to solve the foolish mystery stories she's been telling Battler using only the 18 suspects we've got, but even so, this isn't the sort of mistake I'd expect from an infallible witch, if such a ridiculous being actually existed.

In order for Battler to make that argument he would have to accept the existence of magic. That's a win for Beatrice, so it doesn't matter whether or not there are more people on the island.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

idonotlikepeas posted:

The rooms (at least some of the rooms) can be locked from the inside. That being the case, your murder/suicide theory has some legs, especially if you finger Crazy Grandpa as the primary instigator, possibly with Genji as backup.

These particular rooms can't be locked from the inside, because this time we've got the red statement, No device exists which can lock them without a key, such as an auto-lock. Since the auto-lock is given as an example, I'm pretty sure privacy locks would count as a "device".

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
When I first read Umineko, this is the point where I figured out the door. I didn't figure out the key on my own though.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

oath2order posted:

This would require Battler to be a culprit, of course.

Edit: Also it should be of note that, unlike episode 2 and 3, Episode 4 has its own unique opening from the original version. This one uses diffrent animations, but it's the same music as the episode 1 opening, and is kind of interesting. Take a look:

https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DM4uBdroNHH8

This is the same one but with the PS3 sprites:

http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DhU_vECs4i10

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

ProfessorProf posted:

[timg]http://lpix.org/2680645/rg7_c21_warai3.png[/IMG "Be-lz!!" "Ange-sama, you're amazing, incredible!!"

Prof, you've got a broken tag here.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

SardonicTyrant posted:

It's only my opinion, but I feel that certain Red statements have to carry across worlds or there's no basis to reason out what's going on.

For example, if we assume the 18 person rule is only true, wrt the 3rd game, then we could say there was a 19th guest in the 1st and 2nd games and stopping putting any thought into our answers, and that's something the game keeps calling out the reader to avoid.

Even if the 18 person rule holds true was can say that Kinzo was dead before the start of the game so there's an extra "18th person". We still shouldn't stop thinking because though the first 3 games are "solved", we're still in the question arcs and Beato is presumably going to make those games unsolved with more red text. As far as we know red text only applies to one world except when it was about metaBattler/Beato and probably the Kuwadorian statements (which were about 1967 before the game started). That's why the statements about the master keys were repeated in the 3rd game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008
Edit: Never mind, I'm misremembering events.

whitehelm fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Mar 8, 2017

• Locked thread