Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Okay, I have to admit, the one thing I didn't expect for the ED of this novel's anime was J-Rock Nightwish.

I can see what you mean about it being art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, I mean, the "I can't stand drama queens" comment implies that this sort of character is one you can't tolerate much of, which is fine, but it's certainly coming off as intended. He's a ham, sure, but he's a ham slowly losing his mind and rapidly losing his health. (Or is that rapidly losing his mind and slowly losing his health?)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, that's one of those "writing around trademark" name spoofs, like how in D&D you don't have hobbits, you have halflings because otherwise the Tolkien estate will sue.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Qrr posted:

Hella sexist too.

Why do they keep calling Krauss Aniki? I guess George is called George-Aniki too.

It'd be like if you had a relative that everyone in your family called "bro", I guess, whether or not he was actually directly their brother. It's meant as a term of endearment, they're seen as the "big brothers" of the family.

I mean, it's either that or the UroshimiyasUshiromiyas are a yakuza clan and George and Krauss are the higher ranking officers.

EDIT: I can't even with that last name.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Sep 22, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

EagerSleeper posted:

Maria is moe in a time when anime moe didn't exist (the 1980s). The scourge can be stopped right here.

What is it about anime that compels writers to pen kids like they're imbeciles, anyway? Is it a cultural thing/language thing that people refuse to translate? I mean, most English-speaking kids grow out of talking in the third person by like, three. Four or five if they think it's funny/cute. Maria is 9, if memory serves.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Sep 23, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, okay, I'll grant that Ryukishi definitely didn't just throw it in there for :japan:, now, yikes. :stare:

It's just a recurring theme so even when someone intends to deconstruct it, it comes off grating before that. Then again, I guess that's sort of the point, isn't it...

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 23, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

I'm not saying Maria was able to do it, but I am saying girl gives zero fucks.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Bholder posted:

Oh, right.

I forgot this is a thing.

Okay, I was joking before. :magical: This is some downright Carrie poo poo going on, now.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ProfessorProf posted:

It is indeed a translation issue, as explained in the game-adjacent Grimoire entries:

Japanese doesn't really have swear words in the sense that English does - instead it has, like, swear conjugation. So, it doesn't always translate well.

Yeah, it's less that she's cursing up a storm and more that she's talking like a stereotypical Japanese delinquent.

EDIT: To keep relevant with the topic at hand:

vector_to posted:

No hidden passage, huh? Then what about a passage that isn't hidden? Has the window been denied?

That aside, the only other option is that he's still in there, or he was never in there. I was going to suggest for a moment that maybe Natsuhi only had a phone conversation with Kinzo, who's in fact in another room entirely, but seeing as she hasn't used that defence herself, I guess that's impossible.

ProfessorProf posted:

"It's simple. Father's study is a closed room, with no way in or out except for that key, right? I want to verify whether that's true. There is one entrance to Father's study. What about the window? Any other entrances or exits?"
"...There are none. There is no way to get in except the entrance."
"You're sure about that? There isn't some secret hidden door or anything? Since Father isn't here, I am the highest ranked member of the Ushiromiya family. I am asking you as a representative of the Ushiromiya family head. Understand that and answer me. Are there any ways in or out of that room other than the main entrance? As Father's closest aide, I'm sure you know."

The window was explicitly mentioned as a potential exit when the existence of hidden exits was denied.

My theory: Nobody actually saw Eva place the receipt or saw it fall; all we have is her word that it wasn't moved between when it was placed and when it was discovered and discarded. There is no other options aside from Natsuhi if all the statements listed are true, but we don't have definitive proof that all the statements are true.

Sadly, I get the feeling that Umineko runs on Japanifornian Law rules as opposed to any rules that imply reasonable doubt.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 3, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

spectralent posted:

I assume they mean chunnibiyo type stuff. They're saying it's not weird Maria has imaginary friends and roleplays being sinister and supernatural around them, basically.

I can only assume they started changing their mind once she started getting literal slasher faces and reading arcane runes on blood circles.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

EagerSleeper posted:

Theory about the new murders: Hideyoshi died first, and the warm shower was used to throw off the estimated time of death. Eva walks in to see dead Hideyoshi, gets killed herself. The murderer was in the room with them the entire time, and snuck out after Kanon and Genji leave to get bolt cutters.

I don't think anyone could squeeze through the gap in a door left by a chain-bolt. Unless it was like, Slenderman or something. You've got maybe three inches of space at most.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

bman in 2288 posted:

I'll also stake his life on it.

As would I. You know if there's an actual witch around she's not going to let him just vanish without a trace when he could go out as spectacularlyhammishly as possible.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Also it's worth noting - both for this and for later LPs - that the highest resolution aka PS3 Native is actually big enough that it breaks the tables on some people stuck living in 2010 like myself. :saddowns:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Double Punctuation posted:

Is your browser also from 2010? I'm pretty sure table breaking isn't a thing anymore with the current forums CSS.

Not actual "crash the website and look at the CSS/HTML" type table breaking, admittedly, more the "this post stretches out further than the others and now I have a scroll bar" type. Hence the :saddowns:, I know it's ultimately a minor thing.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Double Punctuation posted:

Images should resize automatically and not do that any more.

...huh.

Probably because I'm using Pale Moon, which... might as well be Firefox from 2010, yeah. :cripes: I hate that I'm using this gimped piece of crap because actual Firefox lags the poo poo out of my system.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Poor Kanon, doesn't even properly get marked as dead despite more or less being impaled on a fancy toothpick.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Well, the typhoon is only slated to last a few days. Witch epitaph had to step its game up to get all those twilights done in time so that everyone can be dead before they can run away. :unsmigghh:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Ten people dead and it's still episode 1. At this rate it'd be very hard to keep the tension going for eight episodes after all this death in the first one. I'm predicting time loop shenanigans.

Well, Higurashi was chock full of time loop shenanigans and murder too, so if that's the case here, at least the author's writing to form.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

In giving an umbrella to Maria, Beatrice conscripted her as a familiar.

It's like house elves in Harry Potter, but in reverse.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Qrr posted:

Yeah, I'm not sure how this is going to be resolved. Witchcraft seems unlikely because among other things it would be incredibly narratively unsatisfying.

Magic or :witch: can be narratively satisfying in cases like this, as long as it operates under its own rules and guidelines that don't change for convenience.

We're already seeing the framework laid out for that in the speculation of the scorpion charms. If all of this is open and shut within a very specific cross-section of improbability, as opposed to "witches are amazing and can do everything uu-uu-uu~", it's still a proper mystery.

That said, if we assume magic doesn't exist then Natsuhi is by far the most suspicious as far as being conveniently spared and knowledgeable. Maria is also shady as hell - far more in action than in alibi - but there's very few ways a nine-year-old could be behind all of this, working as an accomplice is far more likely for her.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 11, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Toalpaz posted:

I hope so! I mean one of uh, "Rules of Writing Murder Mysteries" someone was talking about earlier is that the people who we follow story telling wise have relatively truthful accounts. The rules go as far as to suggest that the people whose lines of reasoning we follow, maybe like talking in first person to us, cannot be the murderer(s). So it's probably not Battler-kun, but I wonder how far this rule extends to people who we watch, because we've seen the perspectives of lots of characters to this point.

Well, someone could be not planning to murder when we're looking through their eyes, but might humor the idea later. Just because you followed someone who appeared to be a protagonist in the first act doesn't mean they can't change their views in the second act and become an antagonist in the third.

I mean, it's still probably not Battler since he's the one most often returned to as the viewpoint. I'm just saying that, as far as I can tell, we haven't hung around Natsuhi since the night before the murders started.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Oct 12, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Qrr posted:

Also Natsuhis profile shows an arm wound. I wonder if that's relevant.

The kids saw Natsuhi and thought she shot herself, so it's likely that Beatrice (or whomever, if we continue to disbelieve the :witch:) grabbed her arm to aim the gun back at her.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ProfessorProf posted:

The profile page has been updated.

Now that the game is finally, truly afoot, I leave you with a letter of invitation from this tale's author.

Ryushiki07 posted:

Those who enjoy stupid puzzles that are made to be solved can leave now.

Umineko no Naku Koro ni is the worst kind of tale, created without any intention of letting all of you solve it.

It's rare that a piece of media dares you, openly dares you, to conquer it.

That said, I'm unimpressed with the "reveal" of how Beatrice offed Eva and Hideyoshi. All this talk of magic and witches and she just pulls the lethal equivalent of a blind pool trick shot.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Insurrectionist posted:

The opening scenes of this update lay it on a little thick, geez. It's like they wanted Battler to protest out of principle!

Superstition versus evidence.

As long as all believe in the witch, the witch will continue to exist. As long as one has proof otherwise, the witch will not exist.

If the witch is fully responsible for the murders, then proving them means proving her, an impossibility. But if even one of the murders was done by mundane methods, then that means all work that was truly "magic" will be nullified.

At this point, where Battler doubts with every fiber of his being but cannot prove, the witch is in quantum superstate, existing and not existing all at once, and all of the murders are simultaneously happening and not happening. The very definition of a hellish purgatory.

resurgam40 posted:

But isn't that what a mystery novel is, after all: a dare by the villain to the protagonist- and therefore the reader- to solve an unsolvable riddle?

That's true, and a lot of the best mystery novels (Agatha Christie comes to mind, particularly And Then There Were None) don't promise to reveal the solution at the end. However, many do, and it's bold for the author to stand up and go "no, if you want that sort of book, go somewhere else, this mystery's for the real mystery buffs" :smuggo:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

NGDBSS posted:

(given Clue, for instance)

Communist witches are just a red herring!

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Nemo Somen posted:

Even Battler's 'flipping the board' is kind of a terrible tool to use frequently since you can just go in circles.

Which he does, frequently. This entire story so far, from Battler's viewpoint, is flipflopping about whether or not there was a mysterious assailant #19 and how that would or wouldn't work.

Contrast Natsuhi, who was far more proactive with her freaking out in a crisis.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Toalpaz posted:

I love Battler so much right now, that flat out denial in the middle of purgatory is great. "No, no, no. You don't understand. You don't exist."

Jessica seems to be skeptical too but maybe she's already sold her soul somehow.

She believes. As the numbers dwindle, the fear of an outsider being to blame grows more and more undeniable.

Like, maybe people don't believe explicitly in "the witch Beatrice", but they certainly believe in "a 19th person who has the power to do things other people can't". Given how the 19th person here would be Beatrice, believing in a 19th person is indirectly believing in witches.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ProfessorProf posted:

Nah, it's fine. As you say, there's no guarantee that it's ordinary absinthe.

"Ordinary" absinthe. Absinthe will gently caress you up, man. Magical absinthe would probably melt your flesh like Raiders of the Lost Ark.

...maybe that's really what happened to Kinzo.

EDIT: Also, that bubble-wipe effect with Beatrice/Bernkastel teleporting(?) in and out is so hilariously corny.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Oct 15, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The PS3 having better definition on its background stills (as opposed to vague blobs of color) was in many ways to its detriment.

Also, goddamn it, Shannon, you've been possessed by the wayward ghost of Kinzo.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

On the other hand, he (and the others) refer to the servants as "furniture", even to the point that they refer to themselves that way. That's got to be degrading.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

"Relax, just break into this hallowed, unattended Shinto shrine and shatter a sacred mirror for me. It'll be fiiiine. Or, you know, don't. And just have fun with your life being the same as ever. Or possibly have fun living tomorrow out over and over for eternity, depending on if I'm being literal or metaphorical."

She seems on the level.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SardonicTyrant posted:

So she gave the two of them burn marks to make sure they knew they hadn't imagined meeting her, but kept the murders ambiguous because...?

:iiam:

Assumedly, this is her way of showing Battler - or the viewer, whomever - that she is interfering directly from the getgo now, as opposed to being this ambiguous presence until "the ninth twilight".

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Qrr posted:

Well now Beatrice has promoted Shannon to human so I'm sure that's the end of that. Furniture no more! Hopefully next Beatrice tries it on an end table.

This truly is the modern day Beauty and the Battler.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dr Pepper posted:

Somebody earlier in the thread compared Beatrice to fairies and I think that's pretty accurate.

Sure, right now Beatrice is fine with shipping Shannon and George, being friends with her and having a good time. But when the time comes to start the resurrection ritual she'll totally just murder her cause thems the breaks.

She might even be "kind" enough to murder them together like what happened before with Eva and Hideyoshi. It's so very romantic, and all.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fabulousvillain posted:

I like to think it's Beatrice loving with Battler in their weird hell dimension where they watch all of this go down, well that and to give the impression that she's a illegitimate heir to Kinzo. So she's just loving with everyone at this point.

Maybe it's like one of those Haunted Mansion dual-image portraits, it changes from Elegant Victorian Dame to Schoolgirl Waifu With Butterflies depending on what angle you view it at.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Qrr posted:

Also, are the mackerel "jokes" supposed to be funny? I do not get them.

I think it's one of those "old people being deliberately unfunny" things. It crops up now and then in media on both sides of the pond.

I mean, I don't know if fish oil will make actually make frosting fluffier or not (someone get GWS on that), but basically it's a bunch of teenagers going "wow, old lady, we know it's healthy and you like slipping it into meals but that's loving vile ha ha ha".

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

resurgam40 posted:

*and no, I'm not loving saying that they were ensorcelled to death; I'll give the fella points for authenticity as throwing up things that couldn't have hot into the body, like frogs or stones or pins, are traditional indicators of witchcraft, but before anyone says magic you'd better show me the medical exam first :colbert:

Well, I mean. Whatever murderer was involved had plenty of loving time in the night to make the scene as lovingly crafted as possible. Enough time and dedication can make anything look like it happened in an instant even if it didn't.

I'd honestly suspect Rosa if she wasn't busy being our viewpoint and losing her lack of lunch.

:unsmigghh: happy halloween for maria :unsmigghh:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ProfessorProf posted:

A belly could never be full of disgusting things.

God, tell that to the taste of bile I couldn't get rid of for about half a week after my gallbladder got removed.

D3m3 posted:

Is this a treat, created by magic, or a trick, created by humans?

Well, I mean, six people are still dead. I don't think that's much of a treat for anyone except Beatrice, Kinzo, and maybe Rosa being the only adult heir of Kinzo's left currently.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

oath2order posted:

So just to clarify: Your theory is that the culprit snuck into the cousin's bedroom at some point in the early hours of the morning and swapped out the envelopes. Is that correct?

Unless there's an alternate entrance (seems unlikely but hasn't been discounted yet) or duplicate keys (which has again been openly denied), it's the clearest way for it to not be yet another closed room. It would certainly be easier to lock up afterwards and swap the key with a dummy object that was previously explained but never confirmed to be one, and it would likewise be easier to get into the room where the younger Ushiromiyas were sleeping than it would to open and close the shed they dumped the bodies into in the first part.

That just leaves us three people who knew of the "key"'s existence on Maria - Rosa, Beatrice, and Maria herself.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Toalpaz posted:

An important fact to consider is that the envelope was still sealed. That means that Rosa wasn't sure that the key was inside, just suspected it because... Yeah Beatrice is trying to be a show off with this murder. Because the envelope was still sealed I would go as far as to say that Maria didn't know either. Of course the person with access to the tools to make the Official looking Ushiromiya seal can just as easily make a few letters to swap them around, or seal or unseal at their leisure.

Yeah, that's what I was implying. Maria would trust anything Beatrice said, and Rosa would be a witness to it being said, so all she'd have to do is say there's a key even if it was just another of those pumpkin suckers to begin with, only to swap out envelopes after the fact.

• Locked thread