Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Tender Child Loins posted:

It seems like the most fantastical element of this storyline, or else Rudolf was performing a way grodier version of that "two dates at once" scenario. I don't want to think about it that much.

Not everyone comes to term at the exact same pace; all it means is that Rudolf was totally with both of them in the same frame of time, there wasn't any "she was the first woman in his life" here. It's coincidental and more than a little convenient, but not unheard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

resurgam40 posted:

b) if you intended the bodies to be found [they were in a locked shed just sort of piled up])

Remember that the first chapter's First Twilight was behind a door with an obvious magic symbol drawn on it.

Regardless of its purpose, that's sort of a giant "NOTICE ME" sign.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

The truest unsolvable mystery of the Higurashi: When They Cry anime is why the Higurashi Kira season exists.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

bman in 2288 posted:

That. That is some bad everything except for the restructured context of the video.

Studio DEEN is... to put it nicely, loving awful at animation, at least when they do renditions of dojin games. It squeaked by in Higurashi since demented, off-model characters only help the overarching feeling of confused paranoia the canon is meant to evoke, but in Umineko where things are (allegedly) a little more grounded, it just makes the whole thing seem really... off, in ways that not even Ryukishi's mittenhands manage to do.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Dec 31, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Robindaybird posted:

One of the more famous bits of Deen's off model is they forgot to put a mouth on one of the Cheisters - and not when she was in the background, but when she was front and center in a close up.

I feel like this isn't actually a spoiler any more. I think the subtitles are off-center because it's assumedly cropped from a shot, but.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Dec 31, 2016

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

NachtSieger posted:

Anime has broken me, so I don't know what's supposed to be so bad about this.

Higurashi Kira is mostly just what happens when someone takes a psychological thriller based on paranoia-fueled massacres and groundhog day loops, says "Okay, the main plot is resolved, let's make a slice of life harem anime like we teased this being at the very beginning". It's not some soul-scarring thing, it's just aggressively :japan:, but it's so anathema to what the entire When They Cry series actually involves.

Basically, it's like if Umineko had a sequel that was nothing but the plodding exposition and character fluff that the first two chapters had before the murders started.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Basically, the typhoon only exists to block exit from the island and to cut off communication to the mainland. In other words, the storm makes all of Rokkenjima a locked room of its own.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 3, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Rodyle posted:

Umineko Chiru is literally a different game than Umineko

Yeah, even on Steam, the Umineko currently available only covers the first four chapters, like how the PS3 version worked.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Who among them smokes? This is the 80s, so smoking is common in Japan. Most of the male adults probably smoke -- we know Hideyoshi smokes, right? So perhaps Kyrie and Hideyoshi are conspiring. But who else do we know smokes? Have we seen any evidence of that so far?

The narration explicitly pointed out Rudolf and Hideyoshi going out for a smoke break together earlier on, as stated.

It's entirely possible that she cornered the two of them because she knew they both had the habit and figured at least one of them would have something to say. At this point, it's entirely possible she could have even suspected her husband. After all, the Kyrie we saw this episode is definitely shrewd enough to not assume anything.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

tiistai posted:

Having a CG is cool but nothing beats the original sprite

EagerSleeper posted:

Everytime I see something new from the original Seacats art, a smile comes to my face. :allears:

She looks so genuinely happy to be a ruthless murderer. :allears:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

idonotlikepeas posted:

As for witches, who have been and remain completely fake, it seems that the definition for people who refer to themselves as witches is "someone who has separated themselves from humanity and no longer has any human limitations on their actions" or, in standard parlance, a sociopath. I will keep this in mind as the story goes on.

Well, it's not like we've really seen any evidence to the contrary. Even Virgilla went all nutso at that last Tea Party.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

tiistai posted:

How soon will you swear to lick my shoes?!
It'll be boring if you surrender too easily. Let me see you hang on until the very end, clinging on to tiniest straws that make this a mystery, drowning in the sea of the art of murder until you're finally licking my shoes!

Welcome to my banquet.
The Golden Witch Beatrice welcomes you!

So it's worth noting that the Google Translated rendition of this TIP was shared in spoiler chat before it ended up here. It was magic in its own way.

Let us all suffer in the sea of beautiful homicide art, goons and witches alike. :allears:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

idonotlikepeas posted:

I'm not going to lick my shoes. I know where they've been! :gonk:

It truly is boring even if you are yucky so easily.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Lycaeon posted:

Given all the tools forensic detectives have on their hands I can't imagine they wouldn't be able to figure out what happened from all the blood and bodies that must've been lying around in the aftermath. Even if all the bodies were gathered in the mansion and the whole place burned down evidence of arson should be everywhere. I can't make any sense of this other than police incompetence being a literary device to get rid of what would've been a cut and dried investigation and leave the only way of solving the mystery to the readers.

Remember this happened in the mid-1980s. Forensic science was nothing back then like it is now, especially in Japan, where forensics weren't adopted until much later. This isn't exactly Bones we're dealing with.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Tender Child Loins posted:

edit: Just saw this gif and thought, 'Is that dog Battler then?'

Ange is clearly the one who knows well drat enough to stay out of bite distance.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Lycaeon posted:

I'm guessing it's some sort of stigma much like mental illness was considered a stigma during this time? An institutional failure...still, the worst part is even if something was done Maria may not have fared better in Japan's version of state child care...:smith:

Japan's version of "state child care" is either orphanages or being essentially forced on the family of a satellite relative, if memory serves. Maria would be just as likely to have been foisted onto the Sumadera clan.

That would have ended well.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I'm only making assumptions here, but people saying "nobody does anything about Rosa's mistreatment because 1980s Japan" doesn't quite make sense to me. In a conservative, traditional, family-oriented society, you would definitely expect authorities to be likely to turn a blind eye to abuse within larger families, but not single mothers.

You forgot "incredibly sexist and honor-oriented".

A single mother is, by definition, A Failure As A Woman since she does not have a husband, but does have children. Raising those children she has is her sole responsibility - and hers alone. If anyone steps in to assist her, she becomes Even More Of A Failure.

Meanwhile, caring for children is Not A Man's Job, so the gross negligence we see with Kinzo is perfectly glossed over.

There's a lot of :biotruths: garbage at play underneath those traditional, conservative values.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, the problem with the beginning of Chapter 4 isn't that it's spinning its wheels uselessly, it's that we're introduced to a new character, ask 'why should we care?' and then we're given a huge wall of :words: that not only tells us how much said character's life is utter poo poo, but also talks more about both magic and the way the narrative works than anything in the first three chapters combined.

It's all important information to have, but by this point the reader's eyes just sort of glaze over because it's been unrelenting navel-gazing and exposition that couldn't really be delivered more gracefully.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Insurrectionist posted:

Doesn't seem much like a 4-year-old's way of talking either, and 4 is the most generous interpretation of 'several years' already.

It's anime. Characters spring out of the womb fluent in three languages, fully aware of how to pilot a giant robot with more moving parts than they have bones in their body, and ready to earn a PhD or their induction into the Order of the Rising Sun.

That said, I've known kids that could hold full, understandable conversations with people even at 3, so one being your usual "rear end in a top hat child" at 4 isn't... too unheard of, especially if her two families are the yakuza and the Ushiromiyas.

That said, "several years" could also be an entirely unintentional hyperbole/misremembering by Ange; I know the sprite is identical because technical limitations, but for all we know it could actually have been a few months before the incident. Memory is weird.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Feb 11, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

ProfessorProf posted:

"No, it definitely hasEveryone but Nii-san claimed that Father was dead, and none of us believed in Father's good health...! Aaah, it's already over... Father will make an announcement. Nii-san will become the Successor, and he'll say we aren't even qualified to wear the One Wing... Oooh, I..."

Glad to see we've made it back to the home of storms and murder. :allears:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Lycaeon posted:

Never heard of White Day before... Oh, it's like a reverse Valentine's day where boys return gifts to their girls...that's clever, why don't we have something like that?

We do!

It's called Valentine's Day. :downs: There's no real need for a White Day since our romance holiday is non-gendered.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

idonotlikepeas posted:

So, uh, Prof, I just really want to thank you for using the updated art.

Ryukishi's original stuff has its moments - in particular, the extreme expressions Battler and Beatrice have are amazing there, and everything looks... semi-coherent (this was not the case in Higurashi).

But yeah, the PS3 sprites are far easier on the eyes.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Qrr posted:

Or we could trivialize the whole thing and skip straight to the end:

Witches aren't real

Seriously, according to the rules of the blue text Beatrice has to counter that last one with red. And if she's able to say in red that witches are real then, well, that's game, but there isn't a way to beat that if she can do it.

Witches obviously are real - Ange says so herself.

The question is, are they real in "Battler's world". :witch:

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Fabulousvillain posted:

By this explanation is poisoning someone be considered a trap?

Whether it's a trap or not is also a bit irrelevant, I don't know of any poison that leads to "instant" death.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

If the update remarked on the letter postdate (from the post office, not anything that the Beatrice wrote), I missed it.

It did.

ProfessorProf posted:

If the destination address doesn't exist, mail is generally returned to the sender. But even in the case of an incomplete address, the local post office will often courteously, and to the best of its ability, research to find whether the sender's intended destination exists. When they still can't find it, the mail is sometimes returned after an investigation of several days. It seemed that the same thing had happened with this envelope, and the stamp was postmarked on October 3.

It was postmarked on Niijima. Niijima was a long way away from Rebun Island. On top of that, the destination was also nonsensical. It had taken more than a week for the mail to be returned.

Emphasized for visibility. The family conference started on October 4th.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

resurgam40 posted:

Roberta Williams' tortured mind

Old point-and-click games are so amazingly anti-mystery. Not in the Umineko sense of "we're explaining this with witches and magic and it's awesome" but in the sense of "what kind of sociopath would conclude that cat hair on duct tape is a compelling moustache". It's less like a train of logic and more like a rube goldberg machine where every piece has its purpose but you can't guess that purpose just from a glance.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SardonicTyrant posted:

Jokes about magic aside, I think the Battler plot twist is a bit of a let down. It's interesting, sure, but there's no buildup to it. If there was some foreshadowing that Beatrice had another motive for the game, and that she wanted to battle Battler specifically, it would work better.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I didn't find it particularly interesting. It's an old trope and introducing it as an element of this mystery so late in the game rather sours the pot.

I don't think it really had a deeper meaning than a tableflip. Beatrice wasn't getting what she actually wanted - whatever that is - so she flipped the table and stormed off. She couldn't do that with Battler hounding her, so instead she pulls out a plot twist for no other reason than to shut him up and get him out of the picture, too.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

CottonWolf posted:

Fair. Battler's incompetence is incontrovertible.

When I was going back to check how Krauss died in the second game for that edit there, I just noticed that the capitalisation for the halloween scene is MARIA, not Maria. Given that MARIA is a "separate" entity to Maria. Is HALLOWEEN different to Halloween? It's impossible to know what's a red herring and what's not in this game.

When a name is in all-caps like that in Umineko (or in most Visual Novels, I know Mirror-Moon did the same thing in the Tsukihime and Fate/Stay Night translations) it's meant to signify that the name is written in phonetic katakana instead of kanji. This is often for Important Plot Reasons (with Umineko, MARIA and BEATRICE are meant to explicitly represent witches instead of humans), but in this case I think it's just Ryukishi writing an English loanword; Japan isn't exactly known for Halloween festivities.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Hmm. I understand that watashi is fairly standard, but what does warawa mean? I've never heard of that one before. Wikipedia suggests that it's an archaic way for a noblewoman to refer to herself, like if she were calling herself "Dame Beatrice" or something. Is that about it?

Basically, yeah. The important takeaways from using it as a pronoun is "super antiquated" and "upper-class". The closest equivalent in English would be slipping into the royal "we". For an idea of the tone intended, some other examples include Queen Zeal from Chrono Trigger, Ruto in Ocarina of Time, and the dubbed version of Luna in MLP.

KataraniSword fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Mar 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Dr Pepper posted:

It's not like she killed them or anything. Just ruined their White Day.

Well, given what happened to Belphegor after Rudolf used her as a (non-)human shield, there very well could have been casualties.

Also, Amakuza totally got small bombs'd. <Cool>.

But, again, this is basically a light workload day for Beatrice.

• Locked thread