Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Nov 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the fan game based off this section of this section of Umineko, called Rosa Musou.

quote:

Maria has been kidnapped by goats. Are you mom enough to save her?

https://youtu.be/xQFQRlN2q1w <-- Link to a game play video for the curious. Minor spoilers for something small we haven't seen before, but honestly nothing bad. Pretty hilarious game overall.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
It turns out that Battler spent those six years away from the Ushiromiyas in the Deep South, where he learned about 'family values' and decided to come back.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

quote:

So... What was the point of being a monster to Rosa? What do they stand to gain from abusing a small child so?

Adding to what POOL IS CLOSED has said, another reason why Rosa grew up so drat abused is that she was born into a hosed up-yet-rich family, while her siblings (who are 20 years older than her and Machiavellian shits) automatically hate her on principle for being a potential threat to their share of the inheritance. They aren't going to be the kind and compassionate family a little kid needs to grow up around.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
So the true reason Krauss is so desperate to find all of the family gold ingots is to be able to pay off the loans for his master-class hairpieces.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
"Please cosplay as original art Higurashi characters. Include the mitten hands."

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
We're getting to the point where the previous lp died off. Soon, it will be all fresh content. :madmax:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
On this island where everyone deserves to die, I'm starting to feel bad for their upbringings... gently caress Kinzo.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
This family, I swear... With how much they have romances with furniture, I wonder how a trip to Ikea would go.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Hideyoshi seems too pure. I'm not going to suspect him of being Beatrice this go around, unless Eva's chapter reveals that he has secret dark side. Even then, I'd imagine his definition of evil to be fairly innocuous.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

oath2order posted:

Even then, I have trouble imagining him in that dress.

Yes. There we go. The true form of the culprit of Rokkejima has been revealed. Ahahaha.

(This beautiful, never stop)

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Aumanor posted:

BiiiiIIIIIIiiiiIIIIIIiiiiitch!!

Seriously, she's either the second or the third most terrible person on this island. And given the competition that is a truly impressive feat.

Even if that's so, perhaps we can not use that word?

But yes, that was an impressive :iceburn: that Eva delivered. The Ushiromiya family still holds the tradition dear of being absolute assholes to each others alive, even though they're grown-up.

CottonWolf posted:

Seriously. Though I suppose we don't know enough about Krauss, Kyrie or Rudolf to rule out them being even more malevolent people.

Well, we do know that Krauss was probably 20 years older than the single-digits Rosa he was physically punching/abusing. I don't know whether physical abuse is worse than the psychological abuse Eva did, but I still like to think Krauss is the second worst one on the island by virtue of being a goddamn adult at the time and having no excuse. First worst character is Kinzo for approving of this.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

tiistai posted:

To elaborate on this a bit, R07 actively followed fan reactions, feedback and theories and sometimes modified the stories he was writing to reflect these. Scrapping the original EP3 was probably the biggest change. Many people gave up thinking because of the magic scenes in EP2, convinced Umineko was purely a fantasy and that there was no point in trying to solve it. Of course that's true, there's no way you can beat the witch, but Anti-Mystery vs. Anti-Fantasy was also perhaps written in response to the despair of these fans.

I do think changing things around to not be so magical was a sensible choice, because based off of episode 2, I was expecting episode 3 to have even more lightsabers, goats, and demon high schoolers. If the author changed things around to counter those expectations, then I have no idea what's going to next now.

oath2order posted:

Ryukishi's relationship with Umineko's increasingly rabid fandom is...interesting, to say the least.

Oh? Do tell...

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Ah okay. I can only assume that those tidbits are going to be quite juicy by then.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
In addition, most people haven't heard of the literary concept of an "unreliable narrator", which leads to people thinking that Walter White is a good person, or that the book Lolita is espousing the virtues of pedophilia (it's the opposite). A lot of people must have taken things at face value when Kanon started going super saiyan, and then thought "gently caress, what's the point of a mystery novel if there's going to be magical stuff involved in the crime scenes?", and left.

Perhaps this story is the opposite of Higurashi in that instead of starting off normal but needing magic to understand the whole story, it starts magical but as the story progresses becomes a normal situation.

I'm excited to see what happens next. Also interested in how Rosa has a confirmed body count in her backstory all causally.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Without sex jokes, it cannot be anime.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Aumanor posted:

While on topic of music, is this the first time Far plays? I don't recognize it from before.

Not only that, but it's also the first time being introduced to my new favorite song Psy-Chorus. And it's awesome. :madmax:

Rest in peace, human Beatrice.

alcharagia posted:

ushiromiya

Yes.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Let's get to murdering. :twisted:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

This doesn't eliminate someone's chimpanzee theory.

It actually does. If Beatrice were any number of chimpanzees, she'd be an excellent climber and hence would not have fallen to her death. Chimpanzee theory: disproven.

:chanpop: Beautiful... mods, please make this my avatar.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
RIP in advance, Kanon.

If you two would you like to do your own occult version of save scumming like Kinzo, then here's a tarot website that will let you do that. http://www.freedivination.com/tarot/

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I wonder what Genji's deal is? Being furniture just can't be that fun and something to be devoted to. The superpowers do seem pretty cool though.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I was about to say RIP Gohda and Kumasawa, but then this (wonderful, exciting) bullshit happened. :supaburn:

So, here's something that can be deduced. Kumasawa/Beato the Silver is waiting in a rose garden while it's raining, without an umbrella. That's because she gave the umbrella she had to Maria earlier (plus presumably the eagle-crested envelope). Maria will go back inside and tell everyone of the really nice and cool witch calling themselves Beatrice who gave them the umbrella, and the story goes into order.

What motivation would a magic-is-not-real version of Mackerel Beatrice have for meeting Maria in the rose garden, and giving her both the umbrella and eagle-crested envelope have? We know that she's been with the Ushiromiya family for a long time, but for some reason she doesn't have an eagle crest. This could mean that Kinzo does not care much for her for some reason. Perhaps a personal conflict? Either way, this would mean that Kumasawa is not much of an insider as the other servants are, so she would have to go about taking Kinzo's gold by a different way. She has experience about Kinzo's obsession with the occult, so she pulls an occult-themed challenge that will get the Ushiromiyas to easily take it seriously, because that's just how this family works.

Now, there's the question of why does Kumasawa, the person who is supposedly the actual Beatrice who sets off the demand that Epitaph of the Gold be solved or else, appear amongst the dead along with everyone else? That's because as we're seeing in the LP right now, there are two Beatrices. Kumasawa is one of them, and an unidentified other person is the other one. Two Beatrices, twice the fun, double the mystery.

ADDITIONAL CRACK THEORY: Kumasawa keeps mentioning mackerel around the Ushiromiya family because she's hoping that someone will eventually let something slip that will be a clue about what the hell the sweetfish part of the Epitaph of the Gold is about.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

oath2order posted:

I will remind you that this scene is taking place at roughly 12:30 at night. The umbrella and letter thing happened more than 6 hours ago. Has Kumasawa been standing outside in the rain that entire time?

In addition to being a witch and all-around funny old person, she has been blessed with mackerel powers. She's fine.

Serious answer: She's probably busy setting up the scene where the bodies of six people will be found in the shed, the first twilight. That's why she's outside in the rain during this time.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
The moment we see Original Beatrice open their eyes, poo poo will have gotten serious. For now, this is nothing to worry about. Rest in peace, Kumasawa-san.

Ahahaha.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

halfhazardKnight posted:

Why is he incompetent, though? That question was never asked, much less answered.

That's been a while back, but I take it to mean that in terms of finding out how the closed rooms murders were done, Battler was unable to find evidence that was there had they looked, nor thoroughly checked the supposedly dead bodies for any signs of life. (It's my theory that people are faking their deaths on Rokkejima.) That's why Beatrice could say in red that Battler is incompetent.

I wonder how this game is going to go since we already got rid of the servants, leaving no one left to suspect other than beloved(?) family. Also, oh hey, the elder Ushiromiyas are all alive this time. I want to know more about what Rudolph and Krauss' deals are since they usually die quickly into the episodes.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
This is looking like a cool update. I'm looking forward to this episode. :allears:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ProfessorProf posted:

We even have a rough design for Virgilius:

Heck yeah, original Ryukishi07 art!

Btw, here's a video: https://youtu.be/tIZZG1OpgmQ

Just sneak that in the updates when Black Liliana is supposed to play, and see if anyone notices the difference.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Thank you for the TIPS post! I also remember one where it was focused on Gohda in the last LP that made me like him even more.

I'm assuming the reason why Beatrice is nor considered a witch like Bernkastel or Lambdadelta is because Beatrice's magic is based off on uncertainty of the truth (being able to not be proven/disproven), rather than Higurashi's looping time shenanigans being proven as reality. So long as no one is able to disprove that the things that Beatrice does is not real, then Beatrice is alive and powerful to all hell. They are Schrödinger's witch.

The others such as Bernkastel and Lambdadelta have powers that are objectively true, independent of the viewer's belief towards magic. So Beatrice can be both way more OP than them by nature of encompassing everything that is not understood, but also really weak if someone is able to clear the truth.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ProfessorProf posted:

As an exercise for those who are still in the mood to pick fights with witches: If you were in Battler's position, and Beatrice had successfully said "None of the six died in an accident" in red, what would you next move have been?

The next step would be "define accident," because I would like to know whether they died from a self-inflicted accident like slipping on a banana peel, or an accident of being killed by others.

Beatrice is really nervous this game. She's desperate.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Kinzo is the sort of person to think that 'Alucard = Dracula backwards' is a clever twist, apparently.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I kinda get the feeling that 'putting the witch to rest' is referring to putting aside the witch legend version of Beatrice that everyone has been living under for decades. If they can solve the epitaph, than they can put this bad family memory all in the past, and Kinzo will be forced to as well.

Kinzo: Fine! I'll stop talking about witches all the time when you're around! Happy?! ... sob sob Beatoriche....

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tender Child Loins posted:

The six letter word is "vagina." BOOM

Wrap it up, folks. The location of the gold has been found.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

John Lee posted:

I am not intending to start a bickering match, but I think both of these statements could also be easily seen as untrue! It's all a matter of perspective, isn't it?

I've been meaning to respond to this earlier, but in regards to whether magical happenstance are really happening in Higurashi, (as someone who has never played the game) I'm going to assume that they are. All I know about Higurashi is that it does involve time loops, boxing glove hands, and murders, but I haven't heard of any characters there telling us that "hey, time loops aren't real". So that's why I thought that magic in that game existed.

I'm probably not ever going to find an LP of it to prove myself right or wrong about if magic there exists, but Higurashi sounds interesting, so feel free to spoiler me about it.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SinisterTea posted:

A quadrillion. Or as a Japanese person might say, a Kuwadorian.

:monocle: The surprises never stop coming in this thread...

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Question: in the last episode, where did Rosa find the three ingots of gold she was trying to escape with? Were those all the ingots that Krauss had found (I thought he only had one), or did she find this place before too?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Why does Kinzo keep someone hidden in an underground bunker for years on end? :gonk:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Beato and Battler both clapping together is a quality scene.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Gouging the head, knees, chest, etc, refers to getting rid of some strokes from the characters that form the answer to the epitaph, I think. What that is, I'm not sure, because I don't know many characters natively. I need to go brush on my Chinese lessons, and learn more characters...

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I think there might be confusion between the two different real-world Beatrices, which are original mistress-Beatrice and young replacement-Beatrice. Young replacement-Beatrice is the one where Kinzo seems the skeeviest, because he has kept replacement-Beatrice trapped in Kuwadorian for all of her life while grooming/teaching her that she is the reincarnation of his former lover.

Thankfully there doesn't seem to be any rape in the history of events we've seen so far with original mistress-Beatrice, but replacement-Beatrice's situation is indeed skeevy looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Rip Rosa, the epitaph's second place winner, first place loser.

• Locked thread