Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
We had a mysterious off-screen Beatrice, we had a private school Beatrice, and super evil guro Beatrice. I'm looking forward to the new abused vengeful child Beatrice, and seeing how things might go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
KUMASAWA'S SON IS WEARING A SHIRT THAT SAYS MACKEREL ON IT.

鯖 = mackerel

I'm dying.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I can't quote because SA's functionality drops significantly when images are disabled for data saving, but in regards to Kumasawa's son being named after mackerel:

OH poo poo

Edit: does naming your child mackerel count as child abuse?

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 21, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Isn't it possible that the letter that Ange had received was for Battler's participation? After all, he had been gone from the Ushiromiya family for a very long time, and when he did finally come back, it was for the annual asset management conference. Pretty suss to me...

Nice catch on the PIN metaphor being the one that opens the way to a small golden land. A lot of writing in this game is pleasantly coy. The translation team did a good job.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
BGM F Style? More like BGM F Bomb.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ProfessorProf posted:

So, here's a small announcement:

Barring some dreadful internet-destroying crisis, the LP will update every day between now and the end of Episode 4. It's time to full combo the remainder of the thread.

This is the true golden land right here.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I've reached a point where I think I got this murder mystery solved, so I'll just sit back and enjoy the desiring that's going on. :munch:

edit: here's an idea I whipped up for Shiny's LP of Umineko back when we were in chapter 3, but only actually made thanks to this thread being available.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Feb 25, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I haven't read any spoilers, nor have I figured out the total mystery yet, but I think I got this chapter done pat but I don't know yet what it would mean if my suspicions were correct for the other chapters. I'll just stick with shitposting here, and eagerly await how the rest of the chapter plays out to see if I'm correct and see if other people have the same hunch I do. I'm probably wrong on a lot of things, but I think I know already who committed the murders we've seen so far.

alcharagia posted:

Isn't it crazy how it turned out that Gohda, Kinzo, Kasumi, Amakusa, and Maria were all the same person at different points in a time-travelling lifespan?

Time travel is pretty hosed up imo. You know how in a lot of time travel stories, a guy usually becomes his own grandpa? This is kinda like the same thing, only it's Battler hitting on his own cousins.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Heck yeah, let's pull out the electric guitars and punch some demons!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Kinzo is a bad one.

Mods?

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Classy Hydra posted:

Yes

This sequence is both the most anime and the best.

Golden post (and also a great place to end an update, jeez)

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

oath2order posted:

Shannon still hasn't forgiven Battler for that time he ate her French Fries.

Ba da ba ba ba~ I'm loving desiring it.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SardonicTyrant posted:

Well now I know magic isn't real. That spell didn't work at all. :smug:

Goddamn

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Mister Olympus posted:

And make it spin.

I tried to make it spin, hopefully it works out alright.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

idonotlikepeas posted:

That said... Ange got shot at too before time froze. Was she hit? She might well be in some kind of delirious state now, especially if she's seeing blue-haired animes.

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering too. The game said that chunks of flesh were flying at the time before things got explicitly magical, so I'm kinda afraid that everything that is being seen afterwards might be An Occurance at Owl Creek Bridge scenario. It's interesting though how we'll have someone who believes in magic fully help defeat Beatrice by claiming that magic doesn't exist.

Speaking of nonmagical events, my theory for what's been going on in this board is that when the adults demanded that Krauss show that Kinzo is still alive, he couldn't so he started the massacre. It's interesting to me how Krauss and Shannon had both had their face only half covered in blood when they were shown as dead in multiple game boards, and they are the ones in the best position of murdering people. Genji is also shown with a half bloodied face too in this board but I don't know about the other ones, but he has been strongly implied to be helping out with the massacres what with his alternate form being Renove.

Perhaps Krauss was in a terrible place once the Epitaph of the Gold was written. Kinzo had shown that his inheritance was open to anyone could take it, meaning that unless Krauss could solve it, he wouldn't have anymore right towards it than anyone else. His only virtue in the family had been that he was the oldest, but now even that had no importance to Kinzo. Krauss is not as clever as his younger siblings so he would definitely not have been able to solve the epitaph. Murdering them is a good consolation prize though.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Fabulousvillain posted:

I guess it could be like Silent Hill's bad ending. As in Ange was shot and is now bleeding out, but having hallucinations of Purgatory Sisters and Eva reviving just to be killed. That would be stupid though, Silent Hill's bad ending was stupid too.

Sometimes good things have unsatisfying endings. I've been through enough of them already to be somewhat okay with it if this is where the game is heading. :v:

Edit

resurgam40 posted:

I've been thinking about Krauss too, and whether he is bitter and crazy enough to start this whole thing off. The problem is, though, the time of death: He dies in the first twilight in two of the three stories and his corpse is accounted for and in both instances, extremely hard to fake (face smashed off, guts out), so how would he have gone about killing the others? instructions to the servants, who "carried out his will"? The only games where he himself was in a position to kill anyone has been this game, and the last one: he's named as dead both times, but the bodies are not conclusive (and in this game, hasn't been found yet), so what's your thinking there? In the third game, he's mostly in the room and being watched by Natsuhi until his death, so how would you propose he moves around? Which leaves the fourth game, in which, yeah, he's got a lot of freedom, and the entire instances we've seen might be a load of hoo-ha... so do you think he was shooting people and corralled them somewhere until a break was made? Do you mind unpacking your thoughts on this a little?

My theory depends on people faking their deaths, and luckily it seems that Dr. Nanjo has been pretty much confirmed to have been a collaborator in the massacre so anything he says is not reliable. Just because someone looks dead doesn't actually prove that they are dead.

In the first game board, it really wouldn't have been too hard for Krauss to stuff some red painted garden hose under his jacket, and smear some blood on his face so he looked like he was disemboweled. Same with Shannon. Battler didn't get close enough to the bodies to tell.

I don't actually remember the second and third games that well for when he died, but I think in the third game he was strangled? That's actually a simple death to fake. All he had to do was just draw a red line around his neck, and hold his breath when people came near. Probably killed Natsuhi for real though because Krauss is totally broken at this point.

This board game is kinda hard to tell for sure whether the servants are going along with what Krauss tells them to do, or if an internal rift has formed that is more dedicated to Kinzo's will as opposed to whatever the heck Krauss is doing. Probably the latter. Either way, yeah, Krauss shot and killed a lot of people and managed to force the rest into the secret path to Kuwadorian. Maybe he forced Nanjo, Shannon, and Kanon to show him the way.

Krauss is the culprit in this case.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Mar 7, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

CottonWolf posted:

Could be. An outcome where she was shot and started bleeding out/hallucinating, Amakusa grassy knolls all the goons, and she comes to later wouldn't be hugely surprising.

Aren't the people with half-crushed faces more likely to be genuinely dead than those with fully crushed faces? It's difficult to come back from having your face smashed in, and as Beatrice points out at the start of this episode, if you can see half their face there's no issue with the corpse not being who they say it is. The people with fully crushed faces can at least potentially be different corpses than the people themselves, as you're stuck IDing them from their clothes rather than their faces.

Unless you think they facial wounds were more minor than they implied? Which I guess is possible. Who in the cast would be good at stage make-up?

Yeah, just as you said, I think it was either in episode one or two that either Beatrice or Battler had suggested that half-crushed faces was more reliable as proof that a person was for sure dead, because there wouldn't be the possibility of the corpse being that of someone else. Of course, that's not definitive proof at all in favor that a person was actually dead. It could just as easily said that a half-crushed face shows that a person is still alive, just with a little blood on the face. I think when Battler says that half of the face is gorey, he doesn't know for sure if they were completely crushed or not, only that it looked like it. Battler is incompetent after all.

edit:

CottonWolf posted:

The second's more tricky he was disembowled(?) or least had his stomach cut open in the "Happy HALLOWEEN for MARIA" scene.

A garden hose painted red for intestines, and a red balloon stuffed with candy with a little cut in it for the stomach.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Mar 7, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

tiistai posted:

Not that the anime is necessarily correct about everything, but

I appreciate how they took the time to mosaic that one tiny strip while the rest of the blood spatter is projectiled on to the behind wall.

:vince: Miracles do exist...

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

lets hang out posted:

With love it's easy to see that Rosa made a second one for Maria because she felt terrible about tearing apart the first. She probably just forgot it on the boat, or maybe left it as a surprise for Maria to find on the return trip.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking as well.

RIP Maria. That little girl's finally at peace...

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

oath2order posted:

Onii-Chan~

bannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbanned
bannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbannedbanned

(jk, it's actually beautiful!)

edit:

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Mar 10, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tender Child Loins posted:

Just caught up with the last updates. Ughhhh so heartwrenching! resurgam40 already said exactly what I was thinking during that scene with Beato making the weird faces: more evidence on the "Beatrice is a mask of bravado" pile. The mask is cracking, and the effort that she puts in to maintain that façade is becoming more strenuous. She's running out of steam, so Battler (and we) had better figure this poo poo out, and fast.

I'm glad that Ange was able to help her brother out, but a small part of me is disappointed that she essentially got fridged. I take solace in knowing that IRL Ange is off having murder adventures of her own, and hopefully coming to terms with the truth in her own way. I just hope that this isn't the end of her role in the story; I was just getting into her as a character!

So back to the murders. I have two main observations.

I noticed that the "gouge the X and kill" section of the ritual murders was really executed halfheartedly in this take. The stakes are only lodged in Krauss's and Kyrie's heads, and the rest are just lying next to Nanjo and Shannon. We've seen the latter before in episode 2, with Shannon in Natsuhi's room. It just seems really off, especially in light of the Stakes as characters. They make a point (lol) of being stab-happy, so it's hard not to notice when the stakes are just lying in proximity to the corpses. Why does that happen? You can't even make the case for them falling out of the appropriate wounds, since there's no indication that the corpses were maimed in the relevant areas. This seems like decisive evidence for the stakes in previous games being used to cover gunshot wounds, in case anyone was doubtful of that. It also seems like the culprit kind of lost their relish for the game, much like how Beato faded away after Battler failed his test.

Kanon's corpse goes missing yet again. Yes, it's easy to explain his absence away with the grate, but how and why would he be down there if it's impossible to open? When Kyrie's group escaped, there was no mention of a grate. And I doubt there would have been time to bolt a heavy metal grate onto the well in the time between the escape and Battler's discovery of the scene. So my thought is that no one came through the well. Instead, they could have been running from that point towards the mansion (or away from it; there's no indication that anyone was going in a particular direction). If that's so, where is Kanon? His death was pronounced in red, but in a game where name death is a thing, that's near-meaningless. His other persona could very well be the culprit.

Didn't get a chance to say this earlier, but I want to say that this is an excellent post, and I enjoyed how you understood piece Ange's death from a literary view point.

As for solving the mystery of the murder on Rokkenjima, I honestly don't have a clue because I'm not sure how much is different because of the different game boards. In the third game, Beatrice got rid of Evatrice by claiming that Eva was the culprit. I suppose that was never established in red though, so it doesn't really count as the truth.

All I got so far is that Krauss, Shannon, Kanon, Genji, Nanjo, Kumasawa, are main culprits in the real murder mystery. Maybe toss in George because he's in love with Shannon and would probably kill some people in his family to be with her. Gohda is an accomplice because the other servants are pressuring him to lie for them, but I don't think he really had a role in killing people (unless he poisoned people's food in the first game?). Krauss is doing his own thing and maybe employing the help of the servants, but the servants have their own plan they're enacting. Unfortunately that's all I got. I don't know if I'm supposed to be solving the main murder mystery or the individual games.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

quote:

I love the file names so much.

So each game for sure has a different murderer, eh? Certainly wasn't expecting Rosa to be the culprit for the first game. I'm glad that it seems that Krauss may indeed be the murderer for the fourth game, which sucks for Natsuhi to have your husband snap and kill you. Other than that, I'll be waiting excitedly for the next part to see more human explanations for what's been going on.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

And also for witches and other magic users around here.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Not pictured: Beatrice as a spike-ridden red sponge, and Battler standing on a box to reach up there.

...Alright, snark aside, this is actually pretty nice. We're about to reach the end of this game. Beatrice said in red that they want to be killed, and it's finally happening. I still remember the North Wind and Sun thing that happened earlier, but I think Beatrice really does want to end here. Rest in peace, my beloved Beatrice... :rip:

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

oath2order posted:

I my experience, it is those who are so convinced in their own theories that they have the hubris to believe a mere hypothesis is so powerful as to become something approaching truth that always end up the most off base and humiliated in the end

If this was about me ducking out and not really posting my theories earlier, not really! This thread is a prime place to enjoy a good story and shitpost and I've been enjoying every single moment of it, and being caught up being right or wrong is just something that I don't pay attention to. The reason why I ducked out though from theory posting for a little bit was that I had made a post that Krauss was the one that had killed people in the fourth game with shotguns as soon as it had happened, but no one responded so I was worried that I had accidentally cut off the fun discussion for everyone else before it got a chance to run wild. :p

In regards to making theories that are later going to be proven as false, then let me make mine. Everyone was involved in the murders in Rokkenjima and that this is going to be some Murder on the Orient Express story.

Additionally, Episode 5 is going to be about the tragedy of Natsuhi.

Natsuhi's cravat thing and Kinzo. What we know for sure is that Kinzo is dead at the start of the murders. Natsuhi's been living in a house that has a dead body in it, and presumably she's one of the people responsible for keeping that secret. I think it's been hard on Natsuhi finding out that the family she's married into are loving occult assholes and are okay with keeping a dead body around for financial reasons.

Here's Team gently caress Up Krauss' Everything and Get the Money, and they are smiling.

Here's Team Not Get hosed Up. Note how Krauss isn't the focus of this team, because there is a rift in this team between him and them. Also everyone is sad, except for presumably Krauss because that mofo is incapable of doing anything but a smug smile.

All of the adults here on team gently caress Up Krauss' Everything are enjoying a good ol' time of ripping apart Natsuhi.

And Natsuhi doesn't have anyone at her side. She takes all of this alone. She's on Krauss' side, but obviously Krauss isn't on hers.

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 13, 2017

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

MonsterEnvy posted:

Would not shock me if it was Natsuhi's idea to keep his death a secret.

Of everyone on the Island she speaks the highest of Kinzo and dislikes any talk bad mouthing him or talking about his death. There was also that scene early on were she talks to Kinzo and he (out of character) praises her, which we now know is a delusion of hers or something because Kinzo was dead already. She kind of seems a tad obsessed with him.

Natsuhi: "Dead bodies can have any opinion, including positive opinions of you, that you want them to. :ssh:"

I wouldn't have a problem seeing that viewpoint. Maybe everyone on the island is hosed up in their own special way.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Tender Child Loins posted:

Don't know how I missed the trailer for next episode, but??? Bernkastel?

The upholstery on that chair needs to be really redone.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I think update gave me diabeetus but I'm still happy. Who knew that a story about trying to make chocolate would be an emotional roller coaster? This update also proved that food that explodes like a small bomb is canon btw.

Lastly,

Help.jpg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Just want to say thank you to little_firebird for making the small face kasumi in the first place. It was just the right thing to post at such a crucial time.

• Locked thread