Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Fabulousvillain posted:

I never saw this profile until now, and something doesn't add up. Beatrice you know those boots and stockings don't go with that outfit, you gotta step your fashion game up if you want to win Battlers heart soul life here :nyd:

Quoting for agreement. At least fix the stockings, girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Ever since the first <HAPPY HALLOWEEN>, I've been stuck in my seat, screaming in fear.

I'm still screaming now.

How spooky.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I like the witch less and less as time goes on. She is a rude girl and keeps killing dudes while being an rear end in a top hat about it.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I have an idea of how they opened the door: same way Rosa did, by stealing the key from Maria. I honestly don't really know when it happened, but Beatrice stole the key (again), unlocked the door, did her thing, and afterwards, returned the key.

And before anyone says anything about breaking the seal on the letter, remember that Beatrice has a supply of official Ushiromiya letters and an official seal, so she could have just put the key in a new letter, and snuck it back into Maria's purse.

Anyone want to argue or augment this idea?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I feel good about being right. Well, mostly right.

Get hosed, Beato.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
The "You are incompetent" line is great. Congrats, Beato. You made me chuckle.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So... What was the point of being a monster to Rosa? What do they stand to gain from abusing a small child so?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Should I blame Kinzo for this entire scenario, then? I'm gonna do that anyways. Don't feel much sympathy towards the man, anyways.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Oh, poo poo. I did not make the connections there. That's really cool. And horrible. Actually, it's just horrible. gently caress witches, they're assholes.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So Rosa killed Beatrice almost 30 years ago. Like, a metaphorical killing? Or is a middle aged lady totes dead now because of Rosa, in which case I'm just gonna go ahead and blame Krauss, Eva, or Kinzo for.

Also, I do want to hear about R07 vs fans. When the time is right, though.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Sindai posted:

It's nice that Battler is making the same guesses I am, just after I do.

Wait a minute, that's not nice at all. That means I'm incompetent! :ohdear:

Chill, dude. We're all incompetent.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

D3m3 posted:

Kinzo is hilariously bad at question-dodging, which is the story under-reported in this wave of realizing that he's incredibly scummy. But really, his idea of how to avoid answering "why am I trapped here exactly" is "Wow you know what'd go great with this weather it's tea I'll go get some." Kinzo's valuable skills are apparently Summoner, OH DESIRE, Risky Business, Making Tables... And not, at all, in any way, Actually Dealing With People.

Which kind of really hammers in the fact that his kids ending up the way they are truly is his fault. There clearly had never been any effort, taking into account his two adult children at this time frame, to learn how to deal with people. I mean, look at his wife, the game's implying she snapped near the end, and Kinzo don't give a gently caress.

At this point, I'm willing to say that Kinzo has some undiagnosed mental disorders, because that's the only way I can comprehend him acting in such a horrific way to literally everyone around him.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Bholder posted:

I was thinking how this is the perfect time to point out how Beatrice's VA, Sayaka Ohara, also voices Irisviel from Fate/Zero and until now it was kinda hard to believe.

Oh poo poo, really? I did not pick up on that.

But something I did pick up on was how Eva and Krauss treat Rudolf and Rosa differently. Sure, they're still mocking Rudolf, but it really does feel as though it's closer to ribbing than the "go gently caress yourself" they throw at Rosa every time she opens her mouth.

This loving family, it's hard for me to want to solve the mystery when it involves dealing with 2 turbo-assholes and a sociopath.

Actually, I have no idea if Kinzo is a sociopath, or if he's got another issue. His clear inability to deal with people outside of business transactions almost makes me want to say he's probably on the spectrum, but that doesn't explain his complete lack of affection for literally everyone we've seen him interact with. So maybe he is a sociopath.

But I'm just a goon who's completely unqualified to diagnose anime characters. Gonna need more information to attempt to work with.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Dr Pepper posted:

He showed affection towards Kanon and Natsuhi in Episode 1! :eng101:

Oh. So he's just a completely horrible person, then.

I'm happy he dies. There. I said it. I'm happy he dies at the end of every episode we've seen so far, and hopefully more to come.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
In that case, then everyone dies, and Beatrice wins. Again.

I'm gonna admit it. I'm the Battler here. Thinking through these things hurts my head. loving witches and claiming they aren't human when they go ahead and claim they're human.

Battler, just get over the fact that you can't handle your family killing each other. They're dysfunctional as hell, blame your grandpa.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Question: Beatrice said that there are only 18 people on the island. She's trying to get Battler to infer that the count excludes witches. Problem is, Kumasawa was secretly a witch the whole time (?). Does that count really include her, then, or what?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I'm back. After 2 weeks of vacation in a lovely 3rd world country with lovely internet.

Holy gently caress I missed a lot. My gut feeling was also that the place where past-Beatrice lived was where the gold was, but there's no concrete proof of it yet. And like I said, just a gut feeling, no rain behind it. Still not sold on the key yet, either. Gonna need more data to back that up.

When I'm actually awake enough to think, I'll try to help out again.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

EagerSleeper posted:

Rip Rosa, the epitaph's second place winner, first place loser.

Well, considering her now-evident cunning, I'm pretty sure that she was just waiting for someone else to find it first, so she wouldn't be the one Rudolf is going to now try and swindle.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

:same:

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
You have Battler's portrait where Beato's portrait should be twice, just before Kyrie says she wants to go outside.

Normally, I wouldn't suspect Kyrie, but I got a gut feeling right now telling me she's not entirely on the level. Now that that's out of the way, I think it's almost adorable that Beato's getting really attached to Battler. Almost adorable because she's still kind of a horrible monster who does horrible things on a whim.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
drat, Kyrie has a good gut instinct if she can sense an ambush like that. But I want to argue that perhaps it may not be Eva who's going to be the killer of Rudolf and Kyrie. She might actually be really sick, due to a poison in the gold, or just plain bad timing. Dr. Nanjo may be the one to look out for here. Battler already made the argument that Hideyoshi was behind Rosa and Maria, but Ronovoe and Beato discussed amongst themselves that he was innocent, at least that time.

Also, agreeing with resurgam40 that Rudolf is really :3: here. But from what I can infer, given the information that's been given to us, Battler's really angry with his dad because he thinks Rudolf was having an affair with Kyrie while his mother was still alive. The timing of their marriage was really... poor, in his defense.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
:magical:

Holy poo poo, Kyrie and Rudolf. On multiple levels, just holy poo poo.

Oh, I do want to mention that I'm going to remain a little suspicious of Kyrie, considering that it's just her side/version of the story. But regardless, this really puts her relationship with Battler in a new (horrifying) light.

bman in 2288 fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 28, 2016

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Children are hellspawn, so Eva's shenanigans check out.

But now it's time for Beato to... cozy up to Battler? This is gonna be interesting. And dissonant.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Welp, Beato just got a verbal smackdown. But what does this mean for us? Are we still going to try and figure out the killer(s)? Or are we going to take a break alongside Battler and Beato until she gets her poo poo together?

... Wait. Did Battler just say they he's going to wait until his opponent is a real witch? So that he can deny they are a witch? I'm getting confused here. Battler, stop being incompetent.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

Tender Child Loins posted:

AUUGH WHY DID I LOOK :psypop:

What are you guys taking about, it can't be that bad-- What the gently caress am I looking at.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

That. That is some bad everything except for the restructured context of the video.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
George sneaks out of the guesthouse through the window to go find Shannon's corpse, right?

Now, I see one of two things happening here: he can find her corpse and attempt to perform two twilights with it in his grief. Or the others come to find him, and the killer gets them. Either way, George's mental state is really lending itself to him dying really soon. Really feel for the guy, I can sort of empathize with his emotional state right now.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

EagerSleeper posted:

Let's celebrate this new year with this wonderful screenshot of a very wholesome Beatrice.

Merry Desire, and a Sacrificing New Year, everyone!

Happy New Year, except to Beato who didn't exist because she is a witch and they don't exist.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I could say that Battler and Jessica locked George out, but I don't see any reason for them to do so. No motive. So then it's a tie between Nanjo and Eva, who actually have something involving motives. Eva, because of George's attempt to see Shannon enraging his already delirious mother. Nanjo, because Eva probably said the location of the gold in her sleep, and Nanjo overheard, so he's trying to get the gold now.

Krauss and Natsuhi, most likely Eva. But right now, this is all speculation, because we don't even have a cause of death yet. My theory may be thrown right out the window. Like George.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Maybe the number is a location or something?

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
what

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
I also agree that Battler should not try to hook up with imaginary people. That poo poo ain't healthy.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So, if I'm gonna stick with my argument (and Battler's) that Eva was the main culprit for most of the murders, then perhaps Kyrie caught on to Eva's scheme, and moved to look for clues in the mansion about her movements. I don't know if Eva smokes, but Hideyoshi does, so Eva has easy access to cigarettes. Important to recognize: Rudolf smokes too, but I can't think of anything he'd have to do with the murders right now.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

oath2order posted:

I don't really follow your logic here. How does Eva having access to cigarettes expose her evil deed?

SMOKING IS EVIL!

No, but let's say that Kinzo's death wasn't an accident in the end. Let's use the theory that he was tossed into the incinerator and set ablaze via the cigarette. Who smokes and is on this island? At least Hideyoshi and Rudolf. I doubt Kyrie is gonna doubt her husband, so she will, at least, doubt the other family with access to cigarettes.

Of course, this is assuming that she found cigarette butts by the incinerator. Perhaps she found it by another corpse. The main assumption here is the she found that butt near a crime scene. She's clever enough to hold on to it. She brings the two smokers on the island with her to the abandoned mansion. I at least feel as though she suspects Eva and Hideyoshi, and intends to grill one of them for info. Might as well interrogate the one that isn't delirious.

Okay, maybe it's not showing her guilt, but there's a possibility that this trail does lead to Eva's continued murder spree. Delirious Eva kills the three. Perhaps she isn't that delirious when she does the deed, maybe she kills Hideyoshi for the idea that he might have sold her out. Gonna need to get more clues.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

resurgam40 posted:

...poo poo. Well, that's the health issue blown up... In that case, the only hole in the Checkmate that I can see is idonotlikepeas' theory of Shannon having forsaken that name and gone kill-crazy, but what's her motivation for killing Nanjo? Fear of being discovered by Eva? Knowledge that he was Eva's patsy and might have killed George? Snapping under the abuse of the family I can buy, but just going kill-crazy seems a little beyond Shannon as we know her.

Because I can't come up with anything better at the moment, I'll augment this idea.

I'll argue that Nanjo may have been one of Eva's patsies that Shannon became aware of, and after becoming Sayo again, she grabbed a murder weapon and hunted down George's killer. She believed he was an accomplice to George's murder, killed him.

On the other hand, she may legitimately be crazy after George died, and intends to take everyone left on the island to where George is now (dead).

But I want to talk about the move Beato is going to attempt. There's two moves she can try. She can go the obvious route and say that a witch had nothing to do with Nanjo's death. Or she could go big and say that the events of this game never happened, or rather, the events after Eva found the gold never happened. There's too many logical inconsistencies in the story for it to have happened. The three surviving humans didn't kill Nanjo, but another human killed him? And they were supposed to be the only 4 left on the island. Evatrice is going too whole hog on the red, and she's created a scenario that cannot exist...

Actually, I want to double down in the idea that the events of the game that happened after Eva found the gold never happened. Eva finding the gold doesn't result in the birth of a new witch. Hence, the new witch didn't exist. If that witch doesn't exist, then the claims made by that witch cannot be true, as they are made by a being that doesn't exist. Therefore, the impossible scenario that new witch puts forth doesn't exist, because she built it in the first place.

In short, gently caress witches.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
As long as I can contribute something useful to this thread, I'm golden.

Because as I said earlier, gently caress witches.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Ah! Does this mean that I was... wrong again? How distressing. I'm starting to get how Battler feels.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010

resurgam40 posted:

Ah, a bit like Taran, then? Seems to fit with what I've seen for Battler, then; pain and sorrow might be a hell of a teacher, but for some folks, it is the best (and kind of only :sweatdrop:) way to learn.

Holy poo poo, I'm always surprised to see this thing pop up. I feel like I'm the only one I know who's ever those books.

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
Oh, wait, lemme try.

Cats are pretty great.

...What were we talking about, again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bman in 2288
Apr 21, 2010
So, Battler wins, but he dies anyway.

That sucks.

• Locked thread