Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The murder motive is pretty explicitly defined actually. Gotta revive Beatrice and reach the Golden Land.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

We spend about 90% of the time in the Discord throwing around some serious ahahaha.wavs but this poo poo in particular had us rolling in the aisles going "yo those incompetents are getting GOT"

North Wind And The Sun Fuckers, Witches Exist

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

bman in 2288 posted:

I promise you that this is going to be the last time they those who would proclaim themselves to be witches will get the last of bman in 2288! The preference for subtlety is gone, and the kids gloves are off. It's time to completely and utterly prove witches don't exist.

https://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DVPWPygVV0uk

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

oath2order posted:

It's a big reason, yes. Though the Logic Battles are definitely a big appeal of the series, and episode 3 has them in spades. If Pheonix Wright Style logical turnabouts and twists don't do it for you, then I don't know. I do wonder if maybe something is lost in the LP format, since the music really does keep things hype as gently caress.

It's also probably the best paced arc in the question arcs, with really no boring scenes. Pretty much every chapter contains some new major twist to the characters or our understanding of what's going on. Unlike 10 updates of Battler sexually harassing his cousins and 7 of Shannon's relationship woes, we pretty much get straight to it.

Please now look forward to Episode 4, which has the worst pacing of the Question Arcs.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Appropriately it has the best finale of the QAs.

Though yes that's all to be said on the subject. It will become pretty clear what the issue is shortly anyway.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Truly, a plan worthy of the master of super paper

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

It's just Charlton Heston crying and pointing dramatically with Battler's Ryukishi hair

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Mister Olympus posted:

Good, because it threw me a little with Strawberry having to work through Beato--if she can make someone an Endless Witch, why not do it to herself to beat Bernkastel?

Bern trashed her in Higurashi

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That is more or less the case. Magic being real, Lambda can no more make herself the Endless Witch than Beato can make herself the Witch of Miracles or Bern can be the Witch of Certainty.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Dishonest media, very unfair

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Kaninrail posted:

We've got the best witches, just the best, you're gonna love our witches.

M a k e R o k k e n j i m a G r e a t A g a i n

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Why do you think the color of truth is RED

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Magic is trickle down economics

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

oath2order posted:

He survived to the end of Episode 2, when the witch's banquet devoured him.

Unless you mean leave the island. But Eva could only do that because she solved the epitaph, and Kinzo can't exactly do that--he wrote the drat thing.

Cheating is within the rules of the game tbf

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

As a reminder for what those who don't know, the child is (Higurashi) main villain Takano Miyo, the new witch being Bern, so witches are canon and real.

E: also (Higurashi again) proof of Super Paper's power: Takano's efforts were rewarded even though she and Lambda technically lost to Rika /Bern, it's just her reward wasn't what she thought.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Jan 12, 2017

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Is there a Higurashi LP somewhere? I don't have archives, so I can't really search it, and "higurashi" didn't yield results on the LP Archive.

No, but you aren't missing much.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Higurashi has some interesting stuff, some of which gets a better showing in Umineko, but it's just a bit too much of a mess for the length to me.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Huh, I didn't think to look for it for sale. I'm too used to that poo poo being unlocalized. Thanks!

Also, about Virgilia. I can't decide if she's just a puppet or if she's a witch that exists. She shows up in scenes that Battler obviously doesn't see, like when she advises Beatrice on the North Wind and the Sun strategy, but then she basically vanishes after the SIGN SIGN SIIIIIIIGN BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATLERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR scene. I guess we'll see if she reappears next ep, but she certainly made a hasty offscreen exit this episode.

She's the witch who taught Beatrice how to use the Endless Magic and the original Beatrice.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

she literally paraded her boy naked in front of her ladyfriends on a leash ya'll she's not being subtle about it

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I hope all of you will repent for your poo poo talking of Maria :colbert:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

That doesn't mean they've repented ENOUGH.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

oath2order posted:

It is worth considering that a part of Rosa's problem is that, besides just the hosed-up family she came from, Japanese Society of the 1980s does not particularly give much consideration to the needs to single moms.

Thank god we finally fixed all that! :shepface:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Somewhat interesting to note that the entire Beatrice line from Virgilia to Ange is, per Bern's profile, explicitly weaker than the Voyagers, which is why Lambda finds the Endless Magic's ability to work directly in the physical world (even if only in their territory) interesting

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

resurgam40 posted:

Oh. So the magic is making a catboy. All right, then. Good. :what:

Battler ruins another tea party

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

EagerSleeper posted:

I didn't think it'd come to this, but the Stake sisters are actually really likeable.

All Seacats are strong in their own special ways :colbert:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Y'all newbies are so quick to assume the worst, you haven't even heard Rosa's side of the story yet!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Aumanor posted:

You were sayin'?
I was saying wait until you heard Rosa's side, then you'd KNOW the worst! :v:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

cast your mind back to the easygoing days of hitting on your cousins

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

oath2order posted:

George: "Women, eh? Who knows what goes on in their heads. Am I right, fellas?"

Beatrice is Rodney Dangerfield

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

The killers are the Pendragon Royal Guards

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Ah THERE was the Rosa hotel scene, I forgot where it was! :v:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Respect GOLDSMITH

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

e: nm

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Okay NOW I can confirm that George and Jessica are playable in the fighting game.

You're still not allowed to look at it though!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

CottonWolf posted:

The one thing Umineko has shouted from the rooftops thus far is that we shouldn't trust it.

It's been shouting "magic is real, go team witch!" It's not the game's fault you won't listen. :v:

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

We tried to tell you about the magic

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Krauss is fully aware of his part in his siblings being as they are and is legitimately trying to keep the whole family from collapsing in on itself.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

resurgam40 posted:

he'd hardly be the first character to be younger or older than he appears.

As an aside, Natsuhi is 47 while Eva is 50.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Well nobody has ever accused Umineko's pacing of being its strong suit.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

Well now I know magic isn't real. That spell didn't work at all. :smug:

Ban this person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

SardonicTyrant posted:

Jokes about magic aside, I think the Battler plot twist is a bit of a let down. It's interesting, sure, but there's no buildup to it. If there was some foreshadowing that Beatrice had another motive for the game, and that she wanted to battle Battler specifically, it would work better.

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I didn't find it particularly interesting. It's an old trope and introducing it as an element of this mystery so late in the game rather sours the pot.

When Chiru is done you should go back and skim through everything.

• Locked thread