Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Time for the ground floor on this crazy train.

Umineko is my favorite VN. So you go Prof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Oh hey there Beatrice. Nice handywork. :unsmigghh:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Right then!

So we have the Servants, who have the ability to do it easily, and Eva, who has the Motive to do it.

On the other hand, none of them would make that magic circle.

But then again, a witch totally would. Ergo, Beatrice did it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

DentD posted:

drat, I've only played (read?) this with the original sprites and I don't remember Maria's face ever looking quite so nightmare fuel like. :stare:

I'm voting for Option 1. I enjoy the bigger size font.

Yeah it's dumb.

The original sprites just gave Maria this little smirk, were the creepy part was just a 9-year old talking like and about this. Then the sprites had to exaggerate it to dumb extremes.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Let's face it. Kinzo would totally hide from Eva just to screw with her.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Welcome to Umineko No Naku Koro Ni, everybody.

The ride begins here and never ends. :getin:

HiKaizer posted:

Wait.

What?

This is not where I expected a murder mystery to go. It seems weird to disbelieve in a witch and magic when literal magic is occurring in front of you but okay Battler.

:psyduck:

Beatrice seems to only be able to come into existence if everybody on Rokkenjima accepts she exists.

ProfessorProf posted:

"...Heh... heh-heh-heh-heh!! How... astonishing. Are you really that desperate to make me believe that a witch... that a 19th person is the culprit...? This is starting to get interesting...! And it's all useless...!! You must be the illusion that they all claim is the witch Beatrice."
"...So, if everyone believes you exist, you will finally be allowed to exist. You have that kind of a half-existence, right? That's why you want to make me believe too. You can't exist because I alone don't believe in you. Isn't that right?!"
"...Your power of understanding isn't bad for a mediocre person who knows nothing of magic. I see, it seems that you were born with a strong magic-resisting power. The natural enemy of us witches. No matter how much we turn your world upside down, you never believe in us. Therefore, the magic won't succeed. I accept that attitude of yours. *cackle*cackle*...!"

Right now she seems to be some kind of ghost or something.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Rodyle posted:

This thread could easily be called Daisuke Ono and Sayaka Ohara Scream At Each Other Forever

And it's wonderful. :allears:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

KataraniSword posted:

Also, goddamn it, Shannon, you've been possessed by the wayward ghost of Kinzo.

You say that like it's a bad thing. :allears:

90% sure as is that Kinzo likes the servants more then his blood relatives. Dude offered Kanon candy, that's probably more then he's done for any of his sons ever

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

EagerSleeper posted:

Urge to kill everyone on this island rising.

Now you see where Beatrice is coming from.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Somebody earlier in the thread compared Beatrice to fairies and I think that's pretty accurate.

Sure, right now Beatrice is fine with shipping Shannon and George, being friends with her and having a good time. But when the time comes to start the resurrection ritual she'll totally just murder her cause thems the breaks.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Qrr posted:

I'm amused by Battler saying basically "no matter how many times you magically make me live through those days again, I won't believe in magic. I also won't believe in you, the person I am having this conversation with".

Battler is a bit confused about what believing in something means. I guess it works out since Beatrice goes along with it.

Magic time travel is nonsense. :colbert:

Obviously Battler and Beatrice are using their position in Purgatory to peek into an alternate universe. :v:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

oath2order posted:

The best part of this update is that I no longer have to try and avoid calling Meta-Beatrice Beato by mistake.

:agreed:

Beato is the best.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I think Battler's been owned as hard as it is possible to be owned.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'll have you know that anime, love, and witches are all real.

Beato just didn't like Georges face which is why she got so pissed. :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

There are also two other servants on the island, right? Munon and Runon, I think? We've only been introduced sort of to one, who's a slacker.

They're two other servants who work for the Ushiryomias but weren't given a shift on the island for the conference. So other then a background reference they're not important.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Well, duh. :rolleyes:

That's been made pretty obvious over the last two games.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

bman in 2288 posted:

Actually, I have no idea if Kinzo is a sociopath, or if he's got another issue. His clear inability to deal with people outside of business transactions almost makes me want to say he's probably on the spectrum, but that doesn't explain his complete lack of affection for literally everyone we've seen him interact with. So maybe he is a sociopath.

He showed affection towards Kanon and Natsuhi in Episode 1! :eng101:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So hey remember this bit from last episode? :v:

ProfessorProf posted:

How long has this unknown witch been living on this island?! I used to live on this island. I lived on this island, passing the time in the mansion, in the rose garden. And even so, I never encountered a witch like that... never... I think...

"Mama...? Mama...? What's wrong...? Mama...?!"

...I was probably getting a little mixed up with my memories from when I was a young girl. When I was a young girl, unlike Maria, I was very frightened of the witch. So for me, the name Beatrice was a synonym for something frightening. So surely, my feeling of fear from my days as a young girl has been revived because a woman calling herself that has appeared...

...She couldn't be a witch. She's obviously a 'human' calling herself Beatrice, right?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Ok Kanon. Third time's the charm. You can beat Beatrice this time.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Kumasawa and Ghoda.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

halfhazardKnight posted:

Admitting that someone in your family is a deranged mass murderer is a very tough pill to swallow. They may be dysfunctional, but they were never that reprehensible in front of Battler. It can't possibly be any of your uncles or aunts, or their servants. No -human- could do such a terrible thing.

Which is just another point for the Chimpanzee theory. :tinfoil:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

That sounds like you trying to shut down speculation early when part of the fun of this is the speculation. Not sure I like that.

This is Prof making up for one of the weird ways being LPed can effect the pacing of the game.

Actually playing Umineko the usual player would hear that Red rather soon, before they can start to settle on any foolish human suicide theory.

Prof just did the proper thing and showed you all how such reasoning is useless and showed how the only answer lies with the Golden Witch.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Well Battler.

Has Eva stopped existing? :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

idonotlikepeas posted:

It's also weird how many people on this loving island think they're witches.

That's because witches are both A) Cool, and B) Real. :colbert:

So of course everybody wants to be one.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Danaru posted:

I like the Chiester sisters' designs :saddowns:

It's nice to see Reisen getting work in other games.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So this is like Battler pulling a Rook off a chessboard and screaming at it.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So, time of death theoirizers.

Who could have survived to shoot Dr. Nanjo and how did they die after killing him?

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Obviously each Witch's magic (since both Magic and Witches are Real) is an inherit part of them. Even if Lambdadelta can make Beatrice a witch, she can not change Beatrice's powers or her own.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It's obvious that the police took a look at the place, went "Yup, witches did this" and let Eva go.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Tender Child Loins posted:

Hmm. This must be significant; it's too out-of-place to be a simple aside. So Beatrice could be the alter ego of someone who doesn't necessarily identify as a woman or girl. This person wished for magic power and, in order to enact that wish, took on a feminine persona. Intriguing. Gonna double down on my "Beatrice is a mask" theory, then!

Pretty much every witch seems to be throwing on masks and personas.

Beatrice has deliberately put on shows of being a cruel evil witch, a "redeemed" girl, and then a cruel actor. Lambdadelta puts on a mask of childish ditz, but then becomes a harsh Bern-obessed stalker when she needs to "motivate" Beato, but hearing her thoughts directly shows she's actually a rather thoughtful person who's motivations in helping Beatrice is a mix of curiosity and a desire for a new fellow witch, with the whole "trap Bern" thing being a secondary goal.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Also another interesting thing is that we learn in this TIP is that Beatrice's magic is different then Lambdadelta's and Bernkatsel's.

Witches are discribed as having the power to "create fate" but they can't interfere directly in the human world. So we see Lambdadelta act by instead guaranteeing a person's efforts will succeed as long as they keep trying, while Bernkatsel instead has the ability to just keep trying the same event over and over again until she succeeds (Higurashi spoiler).

Beatrice, on the other hand, has somehow found a way to "create fate" in the human world directly.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Jan 12, 2017

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Remember folks, if you argue witches don't exist then you're denying Ange's only happiness in her horrid life. :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So this talk Bern has with Ange shows something interesting if you go back and read the Lambda TIP.

Lambdadelta described Beatrice as being able to make Magic in the human world, unlike her and other witches. Well here we see the process. Beatrice made this major event happen on Rokkenjima that nobody knows what happened. Just that a lot of people died. So anything could have happened there, it's like the multiverse the other witches flit around contained on a small Japanese island.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

CottonWolf posted:

I think that's probably the first bottle. I assumed that the second episode happened in a different universe. Isn't Eva declared dead in red in that one?

There isn't any Red text on Episode 1 because the rule hadn't been made yet.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

This isn't Beatrice showing Battler anything.

This is a scene from Maria's diary being shown to Ange.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

What's important about this scene shows that not only was there Beatrice on the island the whole time, but also Virgilla.

Therefore, Witches exist QED. :colbert:

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

So yeah, somebody was wondering earlier if the scene was really in Maria's diary, looks like it.

Also this really does show that multiple message bottles were thrown out.

Plus we see that Beatrice wrote them.

Therefore... witches confirmed.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

The handwriting in the message bottle stories matches the handwriting of someone calling themselves Beatrice in Maria's diary. TCL is arguing that they're Shannon.

Edit:Another thing this update points out is that whatever happened on Rokkenjima it left so little evidence that there was actual doubt of who was alive or dead.

Dr Pepper fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Feb 1, 2017

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

savixeon posted:

Yeah, that the no magic theories basically have to say that the parts of the story that make no sense without magic didn't actually happen, the meta scenes in particular, is the main reason why I'm not that confident in them being true. It would just feel awkward having all that character development and relations between the characters end up meaning nothing in the end.

The "Meta-World" as it is is different then magic.

The games are different "Fragments" (alternative possibilities/parallel worlds) with the place the game is played a space between them, obstinately Purgatory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

I'm argue that this part is very important for Ange's arc.

• Locked thread