Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Will this chapter make me hate Gohda less? I kind of don't hope so, he's just awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

So all of the envelopes found so far are opened, yes?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

It says there are only 5 master keys. It was never said (in red) that there was only one key to Jessica's room.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Is it lying if they're unaware? For all we know, Jessica got a second key made herself. The point isn't whether it's logical or probable, the point is that it's possible.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Killed vs died... are we really going to have to nitpick the witch's words so closely?
How troublesome.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Well. I do actually like Gohda some, now. Good for him, defending Shannon.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

She's also the only woman wearing pants. Conspiracy??

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Wow, Beatrice must have really, really loved Kinzo. And then she felt betrayed by him... and became so vengeful. That seems like it's gotta be it, but... for the truth to be so visible so early, there's gotta be something else going on.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

...huh?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

SardonicTyrant posted:

The second twilight is the one about the two lovers being torn apart. Or something to that extant. The killer has been sorta doing the ritual out of order.

The profile literally says he was the sixth twilight.
Are two different people writing the profiles?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

All Genji wants is... a peaceful sleep? All he wants is to die?
I guess we should probably consider Kinzo's lost love an unknown, but if it's not just Beatrice, that would be. Rather surprising.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Are the first four episodes seriously going to have the four different mothers surviving until the end because that sounds amazing

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

The second Kyrie survives past the first twilight, this is gonna get real interesting.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Glazius posted:

The tarot never even gets to 22, Kinzo. The hell are you talking about 24?

he's talking about a clock

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

The most interesting thing in their was Ronove calling Genji his servant.

curiousCat fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 13, 2016

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

What the actual gently caress

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

On the tenth twilight, the journey ends, and you shall reach the Home of the Gold.
On the tenth twilight, at journey's end, you shall attain to the power of the Golden Land's treasures, once and for the last time.

Again, big differences. And what Rosa and Eva's discussions feature on in both versions, so this must be important. As has been said, の is often a possessive, so is "the Gold" a person, and if so, who are they and where do they live? If not, what is the gold? Is it literally just the missing gold? In the other version they point out the "once and for the last time" section. I don't really have much here, what is received only once and for the last time? If it's a temporal recursion thing, it could just mean that the Rokkenjima event will stop happening over and over, which would make sense with what Beatrice has said about her losing in that situation, but that doesn't feel like it helps the riddle in any way, so it's probably not that.

Beatrice is the golden witch, so it's possible that the Gold refers to her?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

In that village, look for the shore the two speak of.
In that village, look for the shore the two will tell you of.

On the second twilight, those who remain shall tear apart the two who are close.
On the second twilight, those who remain shall tear apart the two who are close.

"the two" is used in both of these passages as well, but... who is speaking/telling of the shore, in the first?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Alternatively, "the home of the gold" could be extremely literal: where the gold is.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

CottonWolf posted:

It seems that who ever speculated "the Gold" was Beatrice was on the money. It's literally Beatrice's home by the looks of things. Thinking about the "once and for the last time", that never really came up. So, speculation based on my initial thoughts on it.

Thank you! :shobon:

But what we really get from this is... there's two homes of Beatrice, right? This room, and the mansion out in the forest somewhere. Now Rosa's seen both, so she can confirm whether they're the same or different. But if we operate under the assumption that they're different, then I think we can piece together a little bit more. Especially if we look back at Virgilia. We've seen two people named Beatrice, correct? The older, and the younger. Are(/were) they both real people? Young Beatrice was confirmed by Rosa. Kinzo is probably the only one who could confirm the older one... but what if this is Beatrice the elder's room?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Jeek posted:

Thinking back to earlier in the episode, it is heavily implied that there were two human Beatrices, with one of them being Kinzo's original mistress and the other being her rape kid :gonk:. So maybe we can assume that the gold-storage room is where Kinzo locked up the first Beatrice, and the mansion being where the second one was raised after her mother's suicide?

ok, hold on a second. yes, Kinzo sucks. But does anyone know what a mistress is? Because it's not, like, a woman that you rape sometimes. That's not how mistresses work. And there's nothing pointing towards original Beatrice having committed suicide, either. Kinzo's a poo poo person but maybe he didn't rape a woman and drive her to suicide???

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Even if it's an impossible occurrence, Kyrie definitely brings something that makes me want to root for her.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Can someone who is already spoiled bring up some relevant Kyrie art? I think I want an avatar of her at this point but I can't go looking.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

I feel like Battler more means in this specific board. Beato is the opponent in general, but on this board... Evatrice is behind everything Battler is furious about. So he wants to crush her here.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

whaaaat

and Battler's... looks like it's implying that Eva and Battler found Nanjo's corpse, and then Eva killed Battler assuming he was the murderer instead of Jessica?

curiousCat fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jan 9, 2017

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Okay. I think there's a way to put this scenario together. If we combine theories we've already been floating around here. Everything except for... whatever those numbers are. Whatever a "small golden land" is. Let's separate out the twilights.

First Twilight:
All the servants and Kinzo die. ("die"? Shannon and Kanon are listed under their pseudonyms, whereas the other three are not)
Second Twilight:
Rosa and Maria die.
Fourth-Sixth Twilights:
Rudolf, Hideyoshi, and Kyrie die (in that order, if the order of the Twilights in the credits is correct).
Seventh-Eighth Twilights:
Krauss and Natsuhi die (again, in that order.)
Ninth Twilight:
George, Nanjo, and Battler die. Jessica goes missing.
???:
Eva leaves the island.

So let's look at this again.
First Twilight:
Four people definitely die. But let's just say two don't, Shannon and Kanon. I think Shannon said her name was Sayo to George at one point, but Kanon refused to reveal his? I'm just going to say S and K for right now, though. So S and K fake their deaths, and I guess Nanjo by default has to be an accomplice here. Kinzo is probably also sort of an accomplice but he dies instantly, so I'm not gonna worry about that. So S, K, and Nanjo fake the locked room cycle somehow. If two people aren't actually dead, then it's not very difficult. So that's this one explained. But take a moment to look at the profiles here -- all of them seem reverent of the epitaph, the sacrifices that were made, that sort of thing.
Second Twilight:
Rosa and Eva have an argument, Eva kills Rosa, then Maria to silence her after the fact. I don't think anyone's in doubt here. Again, this one's easy to explain.
Fourth-Sixth Twilights:
Kyrie tells Rudolf of her suspicions with the cigarette, they take Hideyoshi to the mansion. Eva sneaks out of the guesthouse as well. When confronted, Hideyoshi reacts, killing Rudolf and mortally wounding Kyrie -- whether with the stakes or another method (probably the guns, right? the issue is that the wounds wouldn't match, but I don't think this needs to be explained for all of this to fit). Kyrie strikes back and kills Hideyoshi (which Eva witnesses, somehow). Look at the profiles here -- Rudolf's complains about the stake, Hideyoshi's is almost mournful, and Kyrie's is almost spiteful. That's what makes me so confident in this theory, it sounds so strongly like Eva's words there. Regardless.
Seventh-Eighth Twilights:
Eva goes to get coffee for Krauss and Natsuhi. She drugs them, then strangles them both before removing their bodies from the guesthouse somehow (a cart?) and driving stakes into them. Then she complains about them again in the updated character profiles, how she doesn't want to bother with the stakes.
Ninth Twilight:
George sneaks out of the guesthouse using whatever method Eva's been using, goes to visit Shannon's body. S is alive and kills him for some reason (or maybe he stumbles upon K and K is forced to kill him? I don't know, really -- but one of those two kills him). Then they write that number for some reason??? I've got nothing on that, honestly, moving on. Battler, Nanjo, Eva, and Jessica storm the mansion. S and K lay in wait. Eva blinds Jessica in her very real freakout. The two pairs split. S confronts Nanjo outside of the servant room. They have an argument that Jessica hears -- and then Jessica hears Kanon's voice. It's K, guiding her around away from "the witch" while S kills Nanjo. Eva and Battler eventually return and stumble upon Nanjo's body. Both immediately assume the other must, in fact, be the murderer. Battler accuses Eva, Eva says that it "took him long enough to notice", notably not confirming she killed all of them or anything of the sort. Eva survives. S, K, and possibly even Jessica leave the island through alternative means (?). Alternatively, S, K, and Jessica stay in "the Golden Land" (that other bedroom) until the story is over. That would cover how they reunite, if that counts as true. As for chewed to bits by demons... thrown off a cliff and dashed against the rocks? I don't know.

It works out as well that every murder by S/K is assumed to be committed using a "gun or spear-shaped object" except for Kinzo in this theory, and every other means is Eva.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

idonotlikepeas posted:

So the bodies were unrecognizable, and it's commonly believed that Eva did it, but the official word (based on whatever evidence) is that there was an accident. Maybe a fire? If the killer piles everyone's bodies in the mansion and sets fire to it, that could result in there being little to no physical evidence left, and it could be claimed that the fire was accidental. (Today, I would expect even that to fail, since we have lots of ways of examining bones, but back then it might have worked.) It definitely couldn't just be a bunch of intact bodies with, like, stakes stuck into them or whatever, even the worst cops would probably realize that involved a little murder. That would also explain the references to people going to hell (since, commonly, hell = fire). That would also explain why you might distribute corpses around in a bunch of different rooms, so it would look as much as possible like a bunch of people just doing whatever in different places just got caught in the fire unexpectedly. Eva can claim she was taking a walk at night looking for Crazy Old Kinzo's Gold and that's how she survived.

If it was just "went to hell", I'd agree with you. But that's not what the profiles always say. They always say chewed, munched, eaten, just totally annihilated. Then a fire would make sense. It always says "when the seagulls cry, [x] survived". Maybe it's not actually talking about the seagulls. If there's a loud noise, and then a fire, that leads me to think some kind of explosion? Maybe the numbers written down is, like, a way to disarm a bomb or something. Or maybe I've played too much Zero Escape.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

oath2order posted:

Eva: "Yes. Yes, Understood. S.E.A.G.U.L.L has been activated. Password is 07151129. So long, Jessica. <See you in hell.> *cackle*"

Technology advanced enough to be indistinguishable from magic is how witches are made, don't ya know

Merely
A
Giant
Ignition
Cannon

Checkmate. :colbert:

curiousCat fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 11, 2017

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Dr Pepper posted:

Edit:Another thing this update points out is that whatever happened on Rokkenjima it left so little evidence that there was actual doubt of who was alive or dead.

I think I was right earlier. A bomb and a fire. Some sort of explosion makes it tough to identify bodies, so they would be forced to use things like... Maria's jawbone, for instance. It would also cloud time of death almost irrevocably in the case that people were already dead.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Pretty easy to say episodes 1-3 are parallel universes.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

I'm 25.

I picked up my big stuffed fox and started hugging it while watching that.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Has anyone pointed out that the epitaph isn't actually being followed in the event that Kinzo has been dead all along?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Maria didn't start saying Uuuu~ until Sakutarou "died", did she?

No, it just seems like they were only when she was having emotional episodes before. Does that imply her emotional state is just wrecked constantly now?

curiousCat fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Feb 9, 2017

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Wonderful.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

When spoken, a small Golden Land will be opened. So the golden land is just... cash? All of the money?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

They sure... tried.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Oh wow.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Maria and Battler have to have a different test, here. This only works for the older siblings... and only because of who's around. You could offer Battler the same choice with child Ange as the crux, but she's not around for him to take that threat credibly. ...I feel like they're both going to choose themselves, but only after a period long enough for Kinzo to declare the test failed due to hesitation.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Holy moly, Jessica. Just brass knuckles to the face?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

It's amazing how the doctor manages to consistently be the least useful person on the island.

• Locked thread