Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
It's almost too bad I read Umineko before it had voice acting, Maria gains a whole new level of annoyance with it. Makes me feel like I missed something important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I have no strong opinions on the matter. Redoing stuff you've already done sounds like the worst idea though.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
There is no Umineko anime

It never happened

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
OOOOOOOOOHHHHH BEATORIIIICHEEE

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

bman in 2288 posted:

The problem is, to me anyway, that Kinzo comes off as extremely pathetic right here, and his attempts at being a powerful entity fail because of his blubbering and whining.

Sounds like you grasped the character of the delusional grandpa pretty well.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

bman in 2288 posted:

Holy poo poo, this family is hella loving assholes.

Two things I want to say though: first, I forgot Battler had a sister, and what year did this take place?

"Little Ange-chan" was very briefly mentioned in the introduction at the airport. She's currently sick and can't attend.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

bman in 2288 posted:

Thanks, and sorry for forgetting everything. Don't know why that's the case for me right now.

I couldn't blame anyone for missing the Ange mention, it feels almost deliberately hidden among the sea of other character introductions.

And yeah Japanese copyright/trademark/whatever laws are a little weird in some respects, R07 is avoiding a potential lawsuit by not using the actual name.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
From what little I understand this stuff Battler uses aniki for George because he feels close to him and/or respects him. Rudolf either is used to calling Krauss aniki since youth or he wants to be straightforward and a little rude about addressing his brother (since he doesn't even use his name). Probably both.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Don't bully Maria, she's already burdened with the misfortune of being born an Ushiromiya

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

If anyone has been skipping the songs because they've been maybe a little samey so far, stop doing that

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Please don't use tindeck, at least with Youtube I can make the songs repeat automatically.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Kyrie is pretty cool, Natsuhi had a hard life, Fortitude is a great song

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Qrr posted:

I'm confused about how their inheritance works. Apparently Eva had to fight hard to stay in the family at all when she married, but everyone seems to think that when Jessica marries her husband will become the heir after Krauss. How does that work?

As things stand, Krauss is set to succeed the head which would make his family the main one and his siblings' branch families, meaning Jessica would succeed him directly. Being such a patriarchal family, Jessica's husband would eventually be the head after Krauss passes away. Natsuhi's saying that Eva wants to try and take away the main family status from Krauss's family so that George could eventually become the head - had she took her husband's name, she and her family wouldn't be considered to be in line for succession. Jessica marrying now wouldn't change the succession order in any way.

I think.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Not that it's important, but could you add the rain sound effect to the updates? I kinda miss it.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

Qrr posted:

The odd thing there is the man who marries Jessica won't be an Ushiromiya (unless she did what Eva did). That would make the heir not a member of the family, and would mean the end of it being the Ushiromiya family.

What Rune Full Moon said. The husband would be an Ushiromiya, like Hideyoshi. Although if Jessica gave up the Ushiromiya name then the inheritance would just go to the next one in line, who would be Eva at the moment.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

sacrifice sheep to god

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

vector_to posted:

Assuming those last few screens are everyone's locations at midnight, I have one question. Why is Nanjo alone against a black background? Even Shannon (who it looks like is about to get loving murdered) gets a properly drawn background, so why not him?

His eyes are closed too, so I think it just means he's asleep somewhere.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Natsuhi might be bad at the whole mom thing but I can't help but like her

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

oath2order posted:

Some thoughts on this: We can't discount the possibility of body doubles or unknown people on the island, at this point, so it is entirely possible that someone--say Rudolph for instance, faked his on death and is now hiding on the island somewhere. By that logic, you could say that Shannon, who still has an identifiable face, is the only confirmed kill.

Not the only one, since Krauss "at least has half of his face left" too, from what Battler's screaming. The character profiles corroborate it as well.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Or do it like Shiny did and simply use screenshots every time.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
:toot: :witch:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

HiKaizer posted:

The culprit could have left via one of the windows, we know they didn't leave from the bathroom because of the steam but a window is still viable.

Eva's profile is saying the windows were locked.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Battler's narration says they even went so far as to knock on the walls to check for hidden passages, so if there was still someone hiding somewhere in there they must be pretty drat sneaky or, naturally, the letter is the work of a witch.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
If you're suspicious of Natsuhi because she had no alibi for the first twilight, then who killed Eva, Hideyoshi, Kinzo and Kanon? Wouldn't the cousins have noticed her convenient absence?

Face it, only an unseen witch could have committed those crimes :witch:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I'm glad we can all happily go to the Golden Land with the witch in our hearts after all :witch:

Qrr posted:

Well, I guess that explains the wound on Natsuhis arm. Though that's kind of odd because all 7 stakes had been used before then. I guess they're not one shot weapons.

You can ignore that little splash of blood, it's not even on the original sprites

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
It's one thing to accept magic in the Purgatory and quite another to believe that you and your family were magically murdered in the real world

Which, of course, is exactly what happened and now Battler is just ruining everyone's peace by daring not to submit to the witch :witch:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

ProfessorProf posted:

I've never gotten all the way through it, but general consensus is that the Higurashi VN is far better than the anime. Just be sure to use a version that doesn't have R07's original sprites.

Yeah. Hamhands are good for a laugh, but Umineko's original sprites at least had a certain charm and some amazing facial expressions that the redraws completely failed to emulate. Higurashi, not so much.

vector_to posted:

a new, revised theory

Nice job, even if an old granny helping carry six corpses to a storage shed seems odd. As a theory this seems to mostly hold. You're ignoring some magical parts such as the bloody claw marks on Natsuhi's door and the magic circle (square?) on Eva and Hideyoshi's door, though.

I'm certainly not saying this to dissuade anyone from making random theories, but you shouldn't just come up with a plausible human culprit and then rest on your laurels. I could lay out a more or less watertight Nanjotrice theory but obviously that can't be the answer so why bother.

In fact for the love of god everyone please make random theories and post them, doesn't matter if they're just bits and pieces. They're pretty much the reason many of us are here for.

Alternatively we can all just laugh menacingly at that foolish Battler struggling in vain as he ignorantly tries to deny the obvious and plain :witch:

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

oath2order posted:

I do have a really funny image of Shannon just being totally fed up with George's weird goony ideas of romance, and just staying with him cause he's loaded and has a nice rear end.

Don't make fun of him, Jooji is a charming young lad.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
I checked, it's Krauss.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

ProfessorProf posted:

So for the quoted segment, it's Krauss -> Eva -> Jessica?

Yes.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Umineko isn't without its pacing issues but it doesn't really spend much time retelling things you already know.

edit: Well, that's not quite right, but I'm not sure how to phrase it cryptically enough otherwise :v:

tiistai fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Oct 18, 2016

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Man I really like Beatrice's characterization in this scene

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

bman in 2288 posted:

This hurts my soul.

EagerSleeper posted:

Insert beatrice_ahahaha.wav here.

http://tindeck.com/listen/mqvt

It's fine to believe in witches, I mean even the game's author said it's not a mystery :witch:

tiistai fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Oct 20, 2016

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
This should go without saying but just as a reminder: if you think you've found out something new about a character you might want to do a quick reread of some of their earlier scenes

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Rosa really is awful. Avoiding hitting Maria's face is pretty drat telling of how much she's "losing" to any kind of a witch during her temper tantrums, not to mention she keeps continuously using that as an excuse and a cheap way to ask forgiveness.

ProfessorProf posted:

"...It looks like the wind has started blowing hard out there. The plants are all shaking so much."
"The typhoon has probably already come fairly close. I wonder if it will rain a lot tonight."
"...Maria-chan really has grown a lot this past year."

"Oh, no. The sky is getting dark quickly. It's almost as though the people in this room have made the weather worse. ...There's already thunder. Oh? Was that one there...?"

At least someone's worried about Maria

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Well that's one of the major themes dragged under a huge spotlight, nice job resurgam

I really don't want to hate Rosa for various reasons but she keeps making that incredibly difficult for me. One bit I didn't mention before is the pretty terrible way she, in her mind, turns the candy she bought with Maria as repentance for her actions into something she did out of obligation, as appeasement or as an undeserved favor or something. Like apologizing was something did out of her good will and since Maria trampled all over that, she can now trample it too.

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

resurgam40 posted:

did this element come up at all in the Umineko anime?

They didn't skip Maria abuse if that's what you're asking

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
:spooky: :toot: <Happy Halloween for Maria> :witch: :spooky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica

John Lee posted:

Forgive me if I missed a comment about it before, but: Prof, are you using a text dump with a different translation? I notice some of the dialogue from the video and the text in the post itself doesn't match up.

He's using the older PC translation as his text dump and editing it here and there

• Locked thread