Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Oh goodie, found this thread at the best time. Subsequently, but I want to thank Shiny and the last thread for making me read through the whole thing, after these years I might still remember what actually happened.

Also it might be too much to ask, but could you include some of the more "distinct" sound effects later on? My favourite is that jump scare sound effect played every time something scary happens (I thought it plays when they find the bodies in this scene, but no).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Oh, right.

I forgot this is a thing.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

For purely selfish reasons, option 2 just to see the difference.

Also I think it might come with some better special effects and more diverse sprites.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Maria's sprites are not that different from the original, it's the CG that's out of the ordinary (the original had next to no CGs).

Actually, I don't even remember any more scary Maria face CG other than this one and maybe one other case, but I might be wrong.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Bholder posted:

Maria's sprites are not that different from the original, it's the CG that's out of the ordinary

Forget what I said...

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The answer is magic, obviously.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Whoa I never even noticed that EDF reference.

E:

oh and I got reminded: Guess what day it is today!

Bholder fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Oct 4, 2016

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

So what was Kanon's plan again, to swap a bunch of butterflies with an axe?

Also, I know I shouldn't say this after seeing some genuine child beating, but I love the part where Battler had enough of Maria's poo poo.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The smallest resolution seems good. They are similiar to the pictures we have already and on slower connections it will be faster to load these pages.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Congrats Battler, you've made a connection most of us did ages ago!

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Qrr posted:

So we know that Kumasawa didn't kill Kanon, right? We saw him go into the basement while she stayed above.

Yeah, I'm not sure how this is going to be resolved. Witchcraft seems unlikely because among other things it would be incredibly narratively unsatisfying.

By the way, looking back the game does something unusual with Kanons death scene. He gets stabbed and doesn't immediately die, but he does die later without revealing crucial information or having a touching scene. That's pretty uncommon in this kind of story. It's not a bad thing, it's just atypical.

The touching scene happened off-screen.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Hey, Maria was right, Beatrice really exists!

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I was about to point out how the "fat" remarks make more sense with the old sprites.

But what the hell is George wearing?!

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Holy poo poo, Eva actually unfolds her fan in this version!

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Holy lip-synced batman...

ANIMATED BUTTERFLIES! :eyepop:

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Title drop

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I love how people retroactively gotten used to Maria suddenly using complex sentences and talking about witches with very little Uuu-s.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Finally, the introduction of the Magical University Student, Beatrice.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Now we have learned Beatrice's true nature:

She's an internet troll.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I'm surprised nobody pointed it out yet...

... but did you know Phoenix Wright was pretty big when Umineko came out?

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

ProfessorProf posted:

"D, drat it... That doesn't guarantee that one of the family or the servants is the culprit! If you snuck up on us hiding in a cardboard box, for example, there's a good chance you could have slunk into our room when we were fast asleep and stolen the key, right?!"

Metal Gear Beato

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

There you go, the most important red of them all, key to solve the puzzle

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

ProfessorProf posted:

As an aside, this is one of a couple of scenes that the original non-fancy engine handled a lot better than the new one. Since there were no voices, it could sometimes take control of text speed and auto-advance through scenes, so George's last words were presented like this:

The best part is that you probably cannot show in that gif due to its low FPS, but the screen would switch from the blood splatter to the red screen multiple times and it would play the ahaha.wav each time.
It feels a lot more brutal.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

But what if Rosa is right, and he isn't the Battler they know!

(dun dun dun)

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Or maybe magic and witches are real :witch:

uuu-

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I think this is the closest thing we get to a H scene in Umineko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

I was thinking how this is the perfect time to point out how Beatrice's VA, Sayaka Ohara, also voices Irisviel from Fate/Zero and until now it was kinda hard to believe.

• Locked thread