Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

ProfessorProf posted:

No trick could have the effect of locking the door from the outside without using a key.

If we're nitpicking "killed" vs "died", I think we could also argue that such a locking mechanism would have the effect of locking the door from the inside, not the outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Doors that lock by twisting a knob only do so from the inside, or else it wouldn't be much of a lock. You lock it from inside the room, then close the door behind you when you leave. Unless I'm misunderstanding something here?

e: Maybe I was unclear. To clarify, I'm talking about this:

EagerSleeper posted:

Rosa alluded to how a door could be locked without a key by simply twisting on the knob on the door handle to lock it. Couldn't the killer have done that right before they left the room?
Which Prof replied to with the red text (which I then quoted and replied to.) I'm saying that if there is such a lock, it could used to lock the door from inside the room before leaving, in which case it doesn't contradict the red text.

Telum fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 11, 2016

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

idonotlikepeas posted:

So, part of the problem for me is that I've taken the position that none of that poo poo actually happened, for whatever value of "actually" applies. But obviously it was imagined as a story, by someone, intending some kind of consistency, so we could at least discuss it on that basis. Let's revisit the events.

I had been thinking about this for a while. Obviously chunks of these stories don't actually happen (or are, at least, distractingly embellished), because magic is of course not real :colbert: But I feel like there ought to be some sort of consistency in what we consider to not have happened.

I've been re-reading through the game, and I was almost certain I was onto something - I thought the golden butterflies signified a made up or embellished scene - but there weren't any butterflies here :negative:

I guess there's not really much point to this now, other than: anyone else have any ideas?

E: Also, yeah, what constitutes an "instant" death?

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I've almost constantly been like ten pages behind, but the thread slowed down enough that I could finally catch u-

ProfessorProf posted:

If you thought I'd be able to hold off for a full week, you don't know my LP mindset very well.

Let's Play Umineko Chiru

.....goddammit.

Just kidding. Thank you for doing this, Prof, you're amazing. I'm glad to finally have a hope of finishing this story that's been taunting me for the better part of a decade (since around when scanlations of the manga started appearing, whenever that was.) Maybe I can keep up with the second half and actually come up with some theories? (Probably not :v: )

• Locked thread