Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Glazius posted:

Oh, so basically this meeting has been going on for several years but Battler hasn't been around to get dragged to it?

I think this has been a yearly thing for a long time, but battler skipped the last 6 years because he was living with the other side of his family until they died.

Then he came back and decided to hit on anything that moves,except that he apparently expects to get slapped and complains when he isn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

bman in 2288 posted:

Holy poo poo, this family is hella loving assholes.

Two things I want to say though: first, I forgot Battler had a sister, and what year did this take place?

Hella sexist too.

Why do they keep calling Krauss Aniki? I guess George is called George-Aniki too.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

ProfessorProf posted:

After some of my past LP thread-running experiences, I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised that this one isn't full of people trying to defend Rosa's actions here.

Well, Maria actually having some kind of mental disability makes more sense. But in story no one seemed to notice til now. I suppose the others wouldn't bring it up because it's not polite and battler wouldn't notice because he's not very smart.

It's the difference between a character who acts a third of their age because the author wrote them wrong and a character who acts a third of their age because of an in universe reason.

Also, obviously Rosa slapping her kid is wrong, but I bet she's tried a lot of things to stop the -UU-. And that none of them have worked and she's exasperated.

Also, presumably people are about to start dying. Maybe beginning with the kid they left outside in a typhoon (so responsible!)

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I'm confused about how their inheritance works. Apparently Eva had to fight hard to stay in the family at all when she married, but everyone seems to think that when Jessica marries her husband will become the heir after Krauss. How does that work?

Also, if Beatriz is actually one of the 18 then we can eliminate some when we see inside their heads. Unless it's an unreliable narrator of course, but at least Battler and Natsuhi are less likely to be Beatriz. Of course she could always be a 19th person or something actively supernatural.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

tiistai posted:

As things stand, Krauss is set to succeed the head which would make his family the main one and his siblings' branch families, meaning Jessica would succeed him directly. Being such a patriarchal family, Jessica's husband would eventually be the head after Krauss passes away. Natsuhi's saying that Eva wants to try and take away the main family status from Krauss's family so that George could eventually become the head - had she took her husband's name, she and her family wouldn't be considered to be in line for succession. Jessica marrying now wouldn't change the succession order in any way.

I think.

The odd thing there is the man who marries Jessica won't be an Ushiromiya (unless she did what Eva did). That would make the heir not a member of the family, and would mean the end of it being the Ushiromiya family.

As for the update: I guess we don't see Maria because she's lying down in the same room as Battler and Jessica, but it's interesting that Natsuhi doesn't show up in the montage of people.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

And there go the 6 chosen by the key. Wow, the cast sure did shrink quickly.

I wonder if Natsuhi was supposed to be one of the 6 but the charm worked and got them to pick someone else, or what.

So next up would be Eva and husband? Are any other 2 close?

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

tiistai posted:

Not the only one, since Krauss "at least has half of his face left" too, from what Battler's screaming. The character profiles corroborate it as well.

Oh wow, those character profiles are creepy.

"We'll be able to see her again. No need to feel lonely."

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

KataraniSword posted:

I'm not saying Maria was able to do it, but I am saying girl gives zero fucks.

It's pretty clear that it was Battler. I mean, think about all of those times we've seen through other people's eyes. What was he doing then? Obviously murder.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Option 2

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Maybe Kinzo left between Natsuhi leaving and Eva placing the paper?

Also, it's really weird that they had a conversation about Maria and concluded "yeah, MPD among young children is totally common, I know this because sometimes I LARPed and feel silly about it".

Also Jessica gets scolded for swearing a lot and I don't actually see her swear. I wonder if that's a translation issue. Like, "How could she tell a lie? Mom's innocent!! Why would she lie!!"" features no language to watch.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Lord Koth posted:

Of course, if you DO go with the idea that this theoretical 19th person exists, is there a reason the count cannot go even higher? Perhaps a 20th person, or a 21st? Why stop there, perhaps there are really 30 people on the island? Prove me wrong. :v:

Or there's a 19th person and they're not the murderer. Maybe Beatriz walked up to Maria and gave her a letter, then went home and knitted for the next 24 hours.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

So this one seems to be more interesting if there were 18 people. It seems like everyone was travelling in pairs or hanging out as a group. Unlike the previous late night murder, alibis should be pretty solid for this one (unless Nanjo is complicit, of course, and mucks up time of death). That would make Kinzo an obvious suspect, of course.

And it's a closed room murder, too.

Also Golden Slaughterer is still an awesome track.

So per the epitaph there won't be any death for a day, and after that there's no indicator of who will be targeted for death, just method.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

tiistai posted:

Eva's profile is saying the windows were locked.

The profile shoots down some other possibilities, too. No throwing the ice pick at Eva through the door, unless she was in a different position and then fell when she died.

Also, is Maria writing the revised character profiles? Because it sure sounds like crazy Maria. Kihihihihihihihihi.

Also, the epitaph and Beatrice's letter match if you assume that collecting everything of Kinzo includes everyone's lives. "Everything will be returned including the part already collected. " vs " the resurrection of the souls of all the dead. ".

Qrr fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Oct 6, 2016

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Huh, this doesn't really fit with gouge the X and kill. Maybe the killer(s) has given up on their silly epitaph methodology?

Also I suppose the gross smell in the basement will turn out to be Kinzos decaying corpse because nothing can be easy.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

They keep asking Maria who gave her the letter and getting the answer "Beatrice", but no one is asking "what did the person look like?" Or "did you see her face or hear her voice". Granted Maria isn't the most useful of witnesses, but at least they could get something.

Oh and I guess Kinzo (or some other person with polydactyly, which would be a stretch) is dead. Man, this epitaph is super inaccurate. Someone should file a complaint.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also the epitaph still seems to be correct. Kanon was sabbed in the chest which matches the 5th twilight and Kinzo has a stake in his head which matches the 4th. Kinzo also died before Kanon. (There can be no debate on this given that Kanon is still alive,)

I guess that's fair. It sure does take some liberal definitions of praising to get the third twilight between Eva and Kinzo's deaths, though.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

resurgam40 posted:

It saddens me that nobody else is trying to engage with her; I don't blame them, considering the circumstances, but because they have such a visceral reaction to the name Beatrice, nobody's asking her the important things about her "encounter" in the garden: what did the person look like, how did they sound, what kind of clothes were they wearing, etc. These are the questions people should be asking, but like normal (I suspect), they just hit her and yell at her and tell her to be quiet, so she shuts down and just internalizes everything. It's uncomfortable to watch.

This has definitely been annoying me. "Who gave you the letter?" "Beatrice!" "Who gave you the letter?" "iihihihihiihi Beatrice!" is not a productive conversation line. "What did she look like, what was she wearing, did you see her face, what did she sound like, was she a bunch of glowing butterflies, was she Battler in drag" would all be much more useful.

I do wonder whether any of the destroyed face people will turn out to have been fakes. The problem is all dead people are accounted for and the body would need to have come from somewhere. It could be that one of them was faking (with Nanjo in on it for some reason). Kyrie in particularly seems to have been way smarter than anyone else on the island. "Face smashed in" would be hard to fake, though, so we'd be back to "where did the spare body come from".

Qrr fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Oct 9, 2016

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I am very disappointed in that letter as a way to complete the third twilight. I'm afraid that that was cheating and everyone will need to file a complaint with the department of supernatural affairs.

As for the letter it presumably came from someone in the room. We don't really have a reason to believe in witches yet.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

So we know that Kumasawa didn't kill Kanon, right? We saw him go into the basement while she stayed above.

Yeah, I'm not sure how this is going to be resolved. Witchcraft seems unlikely because among other things it would be incredibly narratively unsatisfying.

By the way, looking back the game does something unusual with Kanons death scene. He gets stabbed and doesn't immediately die, but he does die later without revealing crucial information or having a touching scene. That's pretty uncommon in this kind of story. It's not a bad thing, it's just atypical.

Qrr fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 11, 2016

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

The problem with Natsuhi as a suspect is we spent a pretty significant amount of time in her head. It would be a stretch for it to have not come up at all.

On the other hand, she was one of only two people who didn't get portraits during the midnight "here's where everyone is" shot.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

KataraniSword posted:

I mean, it's still probably not Battler since he's the one most often returned to as the viewpoint. I'm just saying that, as far as I can tell, we haven't hung around Natsuhi since the night before the murders started.

Sure, but these murders are complicated and feature a lot of detail work. They've clearly been planned long in advance. She would have known what she planned to do even before it happened.

Actually, something important to think about : who knew that Natsuhi had the scorpion charm? If we assume nothing supernatural is going on, then the killer(s) had to have known about the charm so they could pretend they were unable to get into her room. While it's possible that they went into the room intending to kill her and, upon seeing it, changed their plan, that would have been quite difficult. It's much easier to believe that they knew about it and wanted to pretend that they would have targeted her if it hadn't been there.

With that in mind... Natsuhi and Jessica are the only possibilities. Hmm.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

It sounds like later episodes will fix this, but as stands that is indeed an unsatisfying ending.

On the other hand, apparently the whole thing was written by Maria so this is basically her Beatrice fanfic about that time her whole family was murdered.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Also it's a bit odd how the epilogue says George and Maria and Jessica got golden land rewards while the profiles say "nope, Battler hosed everything up and they all went to hell".

Also Natsuhis profile shows an arm wound. I wonder if that's relevant.

And Maria asking people to find out "the truth" at the end of her weird murder diary seems totally inconsistent with her character.

Qrr fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 12, 2016

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Lord Koth posted:

Huh, I had apparently forgotten that we got the TIPS for the stakes at the end of Episode 1. Thought that wasn't until sometime next episode for... reasons.

"Also, it is possible that their power, depending on the hit part, can control it. "

Well, I guess that explains the wound on Natsuhis arm. Though that's kind of odd because all 7 stakes had been used before then. I guess they're not one shot weapons.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Battler has some serious problems with rationality. Basically he started with the premise "magic isn't real" and is basing all of his decisions on that. While properly you start with the premise of the things you observe and (usually) derive from there that magic isn't real.

Basically homing stakes and exploding people and teleportation are usually good signs that "magic" of some kind is real.

That said, in the more canon parts, there definitely are possible explanations for Eva's room. Hideyoshi could have been killed before the room was locked. Eva couldnt really have been but she was also in the actual room.

Either way, this is an odd story.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Elric posted:

Look, the answer is clearly drugs. Someone drugged the tea with LSD or something, and so none of what anyone perceives can be trusted.

I mean, Kinzo was drinking Chekov's glowing green booze earlier in this story. I assume something will happen with that eventually because it was mentioned quite a lot until Kinzo vanished.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

MonsterEnvy posted:

For other new people I am curious. Now that the first episode is over what would you say is your impression of the characters.

We're going to reach the end of some episode with everyone alive and look back on episode 1 and say "Can we go back to that? That was the good ending, right?"

These are some seriously terrible people.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

MonsterEnvy posted:

Well in this case the points are different. We really don't know much about Shannon and George

The thing about this update is that it basically boils down to "Shannon and George like each other and Eva is a bitch about it". Which we learned much more succinctly in episode 1.

I imagine it includes relevant information and is going somewhere interesting, but as far as character details I wanted to know more about this is really far down the list.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

I meant as in Shannon referring to herself as Furniture again and again who doesn't deserve to have human things like a real human. I find that sentiment personally offensive, so maybe I'm just noticing it more than I normally would.

Well now Beatrice has promoted Shannon to human so I'm sure that's the end of that. Furniture no more! Hopefully next Beatrice tries it on an end table.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I think an important takeaway from this update is that sometimes witches are really bad at metaphors. Also I wonder if Beatrice is hungry because she keeps coming up with food metaphors that don't really work.

Also I kind of like Kanon not trusting Beatrice but then he goes into his screed about how furniture isn't human and just ugh.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

bman in 2288 posted:

One answer I figure could exist is that Shannon angered Beatrice beforehand, and she took it out on Shannon during the incident. Personally, I don't really dig that idea because Beatrice doesn't seem like the kind of person who wouldn't gently caress someone up immediately if they wronged her and knew she existed. The only other idea I can come up with right now is that Beatrice didn't gently caress Shannon and the other 5 up, or at least kill them, and in fact, was not involved with their deaths. So what I'm trying to say is that a new person, a 20th person, may have infiltrated Rokkenjima without most of the character's knowledge, and wasn't a mere human.

Well, the intro video definitely showed some people we haven't seen before, including someone hanging out at Witch club.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

I'm amused by Battler saying basically "no matter how many times you magically make me live through those days again, I won't believe in magic. I also won't believe in you, the person I am having this conversation with".

Battler is a bit confused about what believing in something means. I guess it works out since Beatrice goes along with it.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Rodyle posted:

Kinzo's BEEEEOOOOTRICHEEEE is nothing compared to the myriad ways in which Battler's name is going to get yelled before this is over

I'm eager to hear Kinzo saying "OOOH, BATTLER!". Wait, not eager, concerned.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Glazius posted:

Well, I will say this for Beatrice. She didn't kill Shannon on the second night. She made absolutely sure she couldn't.

This go around is not the same as the previous one. I don't think it could be the same events with some more scenes added. Indeed, we're probably going to see a different 6 people picked by the roulette.

Something kind of funny: there are supposed to be 4 treasures according to the epitaph. And this is sort of two of them. Everyone who was dead is alive, and the lost love is back. The epitaph doesn't say people won't die again or that the lost love will last. That said, it's probably not a shenanigansy golden land because the witch isn't asleep for all time.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

oath2order posted:

So then, by this logic, do you think if Battler defeats the witch the people who were killed will be revived? Or the new, presumably murder-free timeline, becomes the real one?

Given that Battler defeats the witch by not believing in magic, it's possible that if he somehow eventually wins what he ends up getting is a timeline in which most of the Ushiromiya family and servants were murdered in excessively elaborate but humanly possible ways and no witch shows up at the end.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

So this time Kumasawa, Nanjo, and Shannon are missing when they show everyone else. I wonder if it means something.

Also, are the mackerel "jokes" supposed to be funny? I do not get them.

Oh, and I'm not sure how Beatrice convinced the siblings she was a witch but the game in general is avoiding showing her doing actual witch stuff so that's consistent.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

So the main "human difficult" part of this is that Maria had the key, but that would have been easy to fix - give her an envelope with a different key (or with nothing, Maria won't bring up anything witch-contradictory) and then replace it after setting up the scene.

This isn't evidence of a witch, just a very dedicated and sick human.

Oh, and it is interesting that Kinzo can remember messing up so badly before. Maybe.

Also someone should tell the "witch" that piņatas aren't really a Halloween thing, and that this would have been more appropriate for Maria's birthday.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

oath2order posted:

So just to clarify: Your theory is that the culprit snuck into the cousin's bedroom at some point in the early hours of the morning and swapped out the envelopes. Is that correct?

Yep.

I suppose we'll learn something like "battler stayed up all night watching", given that question.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

Glazius posted:

Really, this seems like a diorama that had been prepared long in advance, unless the servants regularly check the chapel.

The dead people don't work with that theory. The table could definitely have been set up, but the corpses have to be pretty fresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

curiousCat posted:

Will this chapter make me hate Gohda less? I kind of don't hope so, he's just awful.

I'm sure at some point Gohda, Eva, Kinzo, and Krauss will receive some redeeming qualities. For at least two of them it won't he on this chapter, though.

• Locked thread