Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

So she gave the two of them burn marks to make sure they knew they hadn't imagined meeting her, but kept the murders ambiguous because...?

:iiam:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

KataraniSword posted:

This truly is the modern day Beauty and the Battler.

There's something strange about this crime
And though I tried to solve it I ran out of time.
But maybe now, I know for sure,
I'll prove the Golden Witch just wasn't there before.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

vector_to posted:

if Beatrice is invisible to those without love, why can Kannon see her when he admits to being furniture and without it? Why am I even buying into this logic about a being that can't be seen unless you have the loving power of friendship.
It's pretty obvious that Kannon cares about Shannon and her well-being. I think it's part of the reason he chased the murderer during Episode 1.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Where did Kannon even get an outfit like that?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

oath2order posted:

In episode 6 we learn that Kanon has never bought clothing for himself before, and so accidentally walked into an anime cosplay shop, unable to tell the difference.
Maybe that's the secret room in Kinzo's study: a closet full of cosplay outfits. He never grew out of his chuunibyou phase and became a magician as a result.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

+1 :byodood: Beatrice. Maybe we should keep a tally of how often Kinzo does that.

Or take a shot.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I think it's less that Battler doesn't believe in magic so much as Battler doesn't want Beatrice to win.

And good job Kinzo, holding back on the :byodood: Beatrice this time.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

ProfessorProf posted:

He did say it once, though, which brings the tally up to 23.
For me, it's not the fact he keeps saying it, it's that he usually says it in the most ridiculous ways.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Games > Let's Play! > This Cold House: Let's Play Umineko

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Jeabus Mahogany posted:

Let's flip the chessboard: What is the goal of the ritual?
Let's flip the chessboard turn-ways around some more: Why should we think all of magical rules we have been told are real? Putting aside Beatrice, the only source of magical knowledge that Battler has encountered was Maria and a single book in Kinzo's study. Can either of these be considered a reliable source? Maria is likely in cahoots with the murderer and there's no way for Battler to know if the book actually belonged to Kinzo or was just placed there.

What I'm getting at is that Battler has no reason to believe that the various magical rules are real, or if the ritual is nothing more than a smokescreen to hide some other goal.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Was it even established what would happen if Battler won? Did Beatrice promise anything? He's going to be pretty embarrassed when he solves the mystery and it turns out he's still dead.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

ProfessorProf posted:

"You've really got brains! Even understandin' just this much is raally reassurin'! In other wurds, you're tellin' us not to get sucked into our opponents pace."
Go home Hideyoshi, you're drunk.

(or this is a typo)

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Fabulousvillain posted:

I never saw this profile until now, and something doesn't add up. Beatrice you know those boots and stockings don't go with that outfit, you gotta step your fashion game up if you want to win Battlers heart soul life here :nyd:
I like to think Beatrice snuck into the house, started rummaging through Jessica's clothes, and then ran out of time changing before she had to get into position to meet Kyrie.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I would say leave them as they are.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I don't know what's better. This Happy Halloween treat, or that reading the updated bios in order forms a message that flows together perfectly.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I guess what we're asking is do people die when they are killed? :v:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Is there any place where I can legally purchase the Umineko OST? I've been listening to it on youtube during work, but I really want to have it on my phone.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I know this is supposed to be a dramatic, touching scene, but that little 'boing' sound and Gouda's little tug-o-war with locking the door has me :allears:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Another thing worth pointing out is that Beatrice appeared in her schoolgirl outfit in the chapel, but when they encounter her again in Natsuhi's room, she's in her regular gown. I don't know what that's supposed to signify, but it stands out because there's no obvious reason for it.

Come to think of it, the first time anyone sees Beatrice during the family gathering (Kyrie, right?), she's wearing the schoolgirl outfit. And I think Battler was present when Kyrie mentioned meeting Beatrice, so maybe by some contrived logic *that* Beatrice is real, and ballgown Beatrice is not?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

tiistai posted:

Not to detract you from making a point, but if you didn't watch the video she just magically changed clothes in the middle of it. Can't a girl pick an outfit to match the occasion? :witch:
I must have overlooked that. Still, outside of Beatrice's World closed room, no one saw the makeover. And I don't believe anything in that room happened the way it did. Anime is not real.:colbert:

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The second twilight is the one about the two lovers being torn apart. Or something to that extant. The killer has been sorta doing the ritual out of order.

Which is further proof that magic is not real. A real witch wouldn't have half-assed it. :colbert:

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

In my profession, there's the concept of independence in appearance versus independence in fact. I'm going to extend this concept to interdimensional body-swapping between the same being traveling along different forks in the timeline and say that if alpha-you takes the place of beta-you, for all intents and purposes, you are yourself, even if the experiences your alpha and beta have accrued have resulted in alpha and beta developing different perspectives and agendas. No one in the beta-timeline has demonstrated any ability to perceive alpha-purgatory besides meta-Battler. (let's just confuse all the prefixes, hooray!) There's no reason to believe that meta-Battler is more than a ghost caught in the machinery of the universe. I suspect he might be less, and is some coping mechanism by real-Battler -- whether the pawn/beta-Battler we're seeing in this ep, or some "true end" Battler we'll meet in the future. (I mean... these games usually do have a "true end", right? So I anticipate we'll encounter that eventually...)
Imagine four Battlers on the edge of a cliff.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

This is a very interesting scene, because until this post, I've accepted everything Battler has experienced as the only thing we can truly trust. But Battler's kind of drunk here, so should we, the viewers, accept that Beatrice's explanations explained everything?

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

:drat:

The best thanksgiving gift.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

There is no :allears: big enough. Thank you.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

resurgam40 posted:

*Amazing Gilbert and Sullivan parody.*
Ok, I still do not believe in witches. However, I will accept that this thread is magic.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The greatest mystery so far: How to prove Beatrice isn't a natural blond if she didn't use hair dye?

But in all seriousness, there's something to consider: Beatrice claims to have lived a thousand years. If this is her memory and Silver Beatrice is someone else, then...well, it doesn't feel like this is set somewhere in the 11th century. The roof of one of the buildings is a bit too modern, isn't it? And Silver Beatrice is wearing something that'd be more at home in the 18th century or up.

So maybe she's been looping awhile and counting years based on that.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

EagerSleeper posted:

This family, I swear... With how much they have romances with furniture, I wonder how a trip to Ikea would go.
Shipping and handling included. :wiggle:

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 30, 2016

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

You know, Beatrice likes to bring up her Endless magic power, but it's kind of her biggest weakness. If you think about it, no matter how many loops Battler loses, he just has to prove a witch doesn't exist once, and he wins. If a witch did commit the murders however, he still doesn't lose; so long as he refuses to accept this, he would continue losing forever, but Beatrice would never win.

In a weird way, everything about this game is in Battler's favor, so long as he possesses the willpower to keep playing.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

CottonWolf posted:

Only as long as a situation where the only non-magical explanations haven't been closed down by red exist. The longer they play, the more things get ruled out.
But that goes back to what just happened: Battler can keep making claims that Beatrice can shoot down with red, but she's reluctant to outright say in red "This is what happened.". So right now she can't outright prove, for instance, that she killed Jessica and Kanon with anime magic during the last loop, she can only disprove the explanations Battler comes up with using red text. This is proof by exhaustion, and it can really only end when Battler himself is satisfied. So again, it swings in his favor.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

If it rains, it pours.

Contrapositive:
If it's not pouring, it's not raining.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I don't think it's all that surprising that a witch is bad at logic.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Something funny I just noticed while reading from the beginning.
In the prologue Battler and Rudolf are screwing around and Rudolf grabs Battler by the ear. He then proceeds to repeat the Konami code using Battler's ear.

So, all of this looping? It's not magic. Battler just has extra lives.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

:stonk: Jesus Christ

...erm...is what I would say if I believed in magic...

But it's interesting that Kinzo is definitely one of the six sacrifices this time. And all of his most loyal servants as well.

SardonicTyrant fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Dec 11, 2016

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

:aaaaa:

I definitely did not see that coming.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

EagerSleeper posted:

We know that she's been with the Ushiromiya family for a long time, but for some reason she doesn't have an eagle crest. This could mean that Kinzo does not care much for her for some reason. Perhaps a personal conflict?
Think back to when young Beatrice was talking to Beato The Silver. If that young Beatrice was the one that died, then Kumasawa was probably supposed to be a caretaker or something along those lines. When Beatrice died, he probably suspected something fishy was going on and stripped her of her rank.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Oh, come on. You're not even trying to be convincing, Beatrice.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I think one person could pull this off. They could kill the other five, using their own master key to lock the doors, and then lock their own door before killing themselves.

I'd like to think that it was Genji who would be the killer in this case. He's the most loyal of Kinzo's servants, and given what we've seen of him, he could probably catch his victims off guard, assuming no one else was in on this plan.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

oath2order posted:

Can you explain how genji could shoot or stab himself without leaving any obvious weapons around?
Actually, yes.

An icicle. One solid enough to stab himself with.

It would not only provide a disappearing murder weapon, but also fulfill the requirements of the ritual. It's even possible that the dampness would be overlooked by all the blood.

Of course, this is assuming he was killed by stabbing. We don't actually know what killed him this time.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

If Nanjo was involved in this murder, was he involved in the last two? It seems likely. He was one of the last killed in the first loop, and Battler only saw his body after Shannon, Gohda, and George died. So far, there's a possibility he was alive for most of the ritual in the previous loops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

tiistai posted:

You can read into it if you want but Kinzo and Battler alike have cried out quite a few uu-uu's over the course of these games.

Also shame on you, thread, Battler got you beat this round :v:
Look, Battler is incompetent, but we are goons. We can only do so much.

• Locked thread