Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
After reading the new profiles, it seems like "furniture" might refer to... some type of golem? In a fantastical sense, sure, but I suppose in the gritty, real world sense it could be that the servants are brainwashed from a young age to believe in witches and act in certain ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

ProfessorProf posted:

Oh, and technically from EP3, but I present this concise summary of Umineko as a whole:

The futility of the opposing arguments almost makes it seem like they're just making excuses to hang out with each other. Aww, what if Battler's ultimate task is to support Beatrice in recovering from whatever hosed up poo poo happened to her and they fall in loooove? :shobon:

poo poo, I've become that most horrible of creatures—a shipper!

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Definitely looking forward to meeting the Cardcaptor Sakura-looking witch in the opening video!

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

resurgam40 posted:

And oh god... all this emphasis on Battler's romantic prospects and thoughts on relationships has reminded me of what Tender Child Loins said last page. I mean, she's a horrible magic-dick, they're not... actually pushing Beatrice as... :gonk:

To be honest, even I realize how much of a crack ship that is. But, surmising from the thread title, it seems like various kinds of "love" are a major theme of this work: maternal love (Rosa), obsessive/objectifying love (Kinzo), self-love (Natsuhi and maybe Eva this episode?), and I guess the regular flavor of love with George and Shannon. And then... maybe a mutually therapeutic love! Beatora! *cough*

Anyway, I wonder if "without love, it cannot be seen" applies to other things as well. Certainly in Kinzo's case, his love and hard work earned him a chance to see Beatrice again. And maybe it's also meant to draw a contrast between the cousins and the siblings: obviously no love lost among the latter. I'm convinced more and more that the Power of Friendship is going to lead to something, eventually, if the kids can get ahead of the slaughter.

edit: Very excellent points!
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Nov 30, 2016

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Fabulousvillain posted:

I can assume that Ronove has stupidly smug and flamboyant voice and dialect right, I'd be disappointed if he didn't. Also loving that the whole point of that scene was just so Beatrice could confirm that it's gonna get much weirder from here, so hold on to your butts.

Without hearing his voice, I can only assume Ronove sounds just like Snagglepuss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoLCDrOJGV0

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Whoa, Kinzo getting all Hikaru Genji on us here. Grody, dude.

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Dec 6, 2016

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Yeah, I was thinking that Battler could easily rebut this scenario by asking to see the body and/or looking for reliable witnesses who could corroborate the supernatural events. It makes sense to have a standard of judgment based on that, rather than on what Battler is being shown through Beatrice's lens. So far, no one has survived who could testify to the existence of lightsabers and soldier-behemoths.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

ProfessorProf posted:

"...*cackle*cackle* I'd expect nothing less from you, Teacher. It seems this is so trivial to you, you don't even feel like opening your eyes...! But I doubt you'll be able to win unless you're prepared to wreck this whole island, seeeeeeee? Come, arise, Shoulder War Towers!!"

I wonder what hosed up thing is going to have to happen to make Virgilius open her eyes.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Nice, a closed room ourobouros! So the most obvious solution is probably that the victims could have coordinated this and killed themselves. That solves the closed room problem, but that doesn't account for motivation. Why would they do that?

Considering what we've seen so far, it wouldn't be totally unbelievable for the "furniture" types to be willing to commit suicide if they were ordered to do so by Kinzo. And maybe in Gohda's case, he was convinced to do it because he was confronted with a strong motive to do so. Wasn't he booted from his last job for some shady reason? I should check.

Kumasawa... is interesting. There's a possibility that, since she's "Virgilius," she had contact with Beatrice 2.0: helping to raise her, feed her, etc. At least, that would be the non-magical reason for her association with being Beatrice's mentor. Maybe her motive for suicide has something to do with that, and guilt about the accident that Rosa spoke about earlier?

And I wouldn't put it past Kinzo to kill himself for the lulz, so that's that, I guess. All of this is probably USELESS and has more to do with the fact that I just finished watching Dangan Ronpa 3. Go ahead and pick this apart.

Edit: OK, that's way simpler.
vvvvvvvv

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Dec 16, 2016

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

ProfessorProf posted:

None of the six victims of the first twilight committed suicide.

poo poo! OK, well, hmm. I'll still keep my suicide motivation theories in mind, since it's good to try to have a deeper understanding of the people involved regardless.

I'm not convinced that a person outside of the 6 could have been involved in this; otherwise, contending with the closed room scenario gets to be too much of a distraction. I like the idea that Kinzo, the odd body out, is the perpetrator in this case. Considering that this is the second time he's fought the boiler and lost... I wonder if his cape is made of rayon. That is to say, accidentally combusting yourself isn't technically suicide. :colbert:

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

ProfessorProf posted:

TCL actually suggested something like Battler's theory earlier, with Kinzo accidentally setting himself on fire after setting up the final closed room.

YEAH, tiistai! Suck it. :v:

But yeah, the fact that Beatrice got cut off as she was going to disprove Battler's accident theory worries me. So if it's not an accident, murder, trap-induced death, or suicide in one of the deaths... how did that person die? To explore the deaths along different axes, maybe it's worth thinking about when and where they could have died? I still think the burnt corpse is suspicious, even though its identity has been confirmed. Could it have been torched to impede an accurate read on when Kinzo died? No one but the servants allegedly saw Kinzo that day; even then, we can assume that scene, with the lightsabers, death grips, and spontaneous combustion, is fantasy.

So if I were Battler, I'd counter Beatrice's interrupted red truth with, "Kinzo died before the first twilight!" Unfortunately, contorting the rationale to fit into the maze of red truths just opens up more questions—namely, who did it, if not one of the victims? How could the closed room ouroboros work, then? We're trapped on both sides! Ughh, it's useless!

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Dec 18, 2016

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

So am I right in assuming that figuring out the key is only possible if reading in Japanese?

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

So if the sacrifices and "kill"s are about removing letters/characters, the "key" has at least 11 letters/characters. 13 if tearing apart "the two who are close" counts as removing two more... so that's a start.

I'm just jotting down words and ideas that jump out at me. I have a decent grasp of Japanese, so I'm picking apart names.

Ku-wa-do-ri-a-n = baby Beatrice's mansion... literally the beloved's home. 6 syllables. The name contains a number: 9.
Ro-kke-n-ji-ma = obviously the island they're on. 5 syllables. Has the character for 6 in it.
A-zu-ki-ji-ma = the old name for Rokkenjima. 5 syllables. Means "sweet red bean island." Maybe there's a tie-in with sweetfish? Probably not, right?

I think there's definitely something to the sense of liminality implied by the sweetfish and migration. It makes me think of transition, growth, maturation. I like the family tree thing; maybe this has to do with heredity in some way? The point at which the river meets the ocean seems important here, since the seeker is supposed to travel downstream to the shore to find the key. So if the key is a keyword, could it be the name of a place at that intersection? Does the harbor on Rokkenjima have a name or something like that? Maybe there's an inscription there or something?

And resurgam40, the other thing the first twilight's sacrifices have in common is that those groups never include the cousins. I thought that was kind of weird, especially if the roulette is supposed to be random. Why don't they ever get chosen?

edit: idonotlikepeas, "no" can also be a possessive particle, or it can turn a noun into a modifier in some cases.

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 20, 2016

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Is there any mention of where Kinzo lived besides the original Ushiromiya hometown? I'm going to reread and look.

edit: aww man c'mon

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 20, 2016

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

tiistai posted:

Turning 黄金郷 (ougonkyou) into 黄金の郷 (ougon no sato) doesn't necessarily change the entire meaning, just the reading of the kanji 郷. Well, not that it doesn't affect it at all. For a very, very overly literal example, ougonkyou could maybe be translated as "goldcountry" while ougon no sato could slightly more accurately be "golden village". "Golden Land" would be a perfectly fine translation for both, however.

More wordplay theorizing! Like resurgam40, I'm just writing out my thoughts as they come.

Instead of using 里 in "ougon no sato," Kinzo uses 郷, which has the same reading in this case, but different associations and compound readings in other cases. According to the online kanji dictionary, 郷 can also specifically mean a "rural township (of China)." So it could be that the use of this particular kanji is meant to draw attention to a location in China? There's been no mention of China in the story at all, so I'm not sure this is relevant. I went looking through the text so far to find any mention of a hometown besides Odawara, and there's nothing. And anyway, how can China point to a location in Rokkenjima? Judging from the IRL location of Niijima, it looks like Rokkenjima is on the opposite side of Japan from China.

里 also is an archaic Japanese unit of distance, the ri: approximately 3.927km or 2.44 miles long. Not sure about the relevance of this.

Eva's revelations in the latest update are so vague, it's frustrating! I mean, it's good to preserve a sense of mystery, but I am dying to know what she's reading/thinking. There are a few interesting bits here, though: zooming out of the particulars of the "sweetfish river"; bringing in the ocean; finding the answer in a book.

Obviously, there's nothing regarding Rokkenjima in any book, since it was mentioned in the beginning that, since it's a privately owned island, it's not on any official maps. So maybe she's reading some work of literature or an occult book, since so much of this story is about fantasy. I keep thinking about Child!Eva's remark, "Think of a river. A river. Linking it with a 'family tree' wasn't a bad idea. Try thinking about how to link a river with something else along those lines..." So what about the birth "canal"? I GOT IT

The six letter word is "vagina." BOOM

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

I'm in the middle of re-reading Episode Two and, though I didn't find anything about Kinzo's hometown, there's another epitaph that we completely forgot about. Of course, the story skips over it pretty quickly. I haven't had enough time to think about this yet, but I wanted to repost it to let you all take a crack at it. In sum: the characters spend a lot of time going back and forth about how important the chapel is. It struck me because whitehelm mentioned a "door" right after the latest update. I think in retrospect, now that we're mulling over the riddles of this game, it feels a lot more important.

ProfessorProf posted:

It looked like some message had been written there in English. The rust showed that the message had been written there since construction.

"...My English sucks. What is it...? ...<This door is>... <opened>... <only at>... <probability of>...?? Sorry, my English sucks."

I gave up after I was unable to finish reading the first of the two lines. It looked like the others could read it properly.

"...Umm, I think it went 'm', 'b', 't', 'q', so, umm, umm... how many did that mean, I think... umm... umm... Anyways, this is incredible. You can't even count close to that with all the fingers on both hands. It really would be impossible unless a miracle occurred."
"...Certainly. He wanted to give a spectacular gambling-style example, very much like how Kinzo-san used to talk."
"What is it, what is it, can everyone read it? Someone tell me what it means too."
"Kihihihihihihi. At least learn English. How did you get into high school without even being able to read this much? Kihihihihihihihihihi.
"Ouch. Ouchouchouch."
"Mind your own business. So, what's written there?"
"...It means something like this. 'This door is opened only when a miracle occurs. You will be blessed only when a miracle occurs'."
"...Grandfather's magic is based on astronomically low probabilities. In other words, the miracle that would open this door, would probably require an incredibly vast magical power. Kihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihihi."

So what the gently caress is this?! How could it fit with the witch's epitaph, especially since you can literally just open the chapel door with the corresponding key? Could it also just be a red herring, since Gohda and the rest speculate that this place is just meant to be the place where Kinzo would marry Beatrice, if she's successfully revived?

edit: I can't remember if anyone in the thread talked about this at the time, so sorry if I'm kicking a dead horse :psyduck: Skimming through the posts following that update right now.
edit2: Wait, doesn't Kanon's corpse end up there in this episode? The profile image reinforces the significance of the location, using (l)ord instead of (L)ord here. (Or it could be a typo/cultural difference/confirmation that there is no god.) There's nothing useful said about the chapel in this episode, though. I hate how fickle this game is with location details; to be honest, I'm totally that annoying D&D player who requests tons of location descriptions every time.

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Dec 20, 2016

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

resurgam40 posted:

Of course, I forgot. :doh: Meaning the only commonality the cousins have is that they're cousins, so that avenue's probably off base.

The chapel, maybe? But we know where that is and we know what key opens that, and I can't think of any way what was described as being in the chapel to be related... and the door was already mentioned in the game with big honking letters, so that leads me to think it might be a red herring. (wait a minute, "red herring"... holy carp, it could be the chapel! :tinhat:)

drat it's still so vague it might as well be vagina...Something related to a family tree that moves down and out in branches... bloodlines, circulation systems, nervous systems... boating systems? The mouth of a river, a harbor? A little cove on the island? A tower, a basement?

No way, herrings are saltwater fish! And you forgot: the three gold bars were found on the chapel's altar in E2. That feels important.

Maybe one way the chapel could be related is that its association with marriage makes it a site of life transition? The metaphorical "shore" that separates young sweetfish from their adulthood? That seems too sentimental for Kinzo, though.

edit: oath2order noticed us! :3::love:

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 21, 2016

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Welp, time to pick through this, then.

I'll be back, see you again!

edit: Here are some possible answers to the hometown question that: 1) fit the definition of a location outside of the Kanto region that was both heavily damaged and experienced major post-WW2 economic recovery AND 2) are associated with sweetfish. I checked out sweetfish distribution here. I kept it at the literal definition of "sweetfish" because otherwise I would go insane. As for war and recovery info, I'm only going by what was listed on various Wikipedia pages and what has grabbed my interest, so I'm sure there's a lot that I'm missing. Though this feels like I'm groping my way toward the truth, I don't know how to proceed with this information.

The Chinese possibilities make sense if my earlier interpretation of 郷 meaning "Chinese village" is valid.

• Shanghai, China
  • Nanjing, China (unlikely but definitely has that very special Umineko :gonk: factor)
  • Hong Kong, China
  • Sanya, China
  • Macau
  • Kaohsiung, Taiwan (major point in its favor: had a huge Japanese population from 1895-1949)
  • Hiroshima, Japan
  • Okinawa, Japan
  • Nagasaki, Japan

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 21, 2016

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

idonotlikepeas posted:

The story is set in 1986, and Kinzo is old. Do we know exactly how old? I didn't see that quickly riffling through, but he's got adult children that have almost-adult children. He's got to be 60-80. So he's born sometime between, say, 1905 and 1925. That makes him too old for the timeframe you suggest, although according to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_territories_occupied_by_Imperial_Japan, Japan held both Taiwan and the Kwantung Leased Territory during that period. Shandong is also a possibility; that seems to be in exactly the kind of weird grey-area status that would work. (It's times like this that I wish I were better at geography, in general.) The fact that this lines up actually makes me more enthusiastic about the idea - it's not a place an old established family ought to be, but it's exactly the sort of place a bunch of outcasts from the shittiest part of a branch family might have ended up trying to seek their fortune.

I like your thinking here, and your earlier reasoning where you relate the key to Chinese/Japanese translation makes sense to me. I had Taiwan and China fingered in my last post, too... and I'm partial to Taiwan now that you mention timeframes, since it was occupied by Japan from 1895 and got bombed heavily during WW2. I haven't found any info on Shandong or Kwantung as far as damage incurred during WW2 goes (as per the conversation quoted in CottonWolf's earlier post), though they seem to have been important bases for Japan back then.

I looked for beaches/shores in Taiwan but that didn't net anything interesting. Here's a list of rivers. That's a lot. My brain hurts. To everyone reading this thread, sorry about the frequent posting; I wish we could talk about this in a chatroom!

edit: Wait, OK, so I checked out Tamsui River as per the post above, and it flows north into the sea, taking it between two cities, Taipei and New Taipei City. :aaa: Are those "the two"????

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 21, 2016

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

idonotlikepeas posted:

According to http://fishbase.org/country/Country...&vhabitat=fresh sweetfish were native to Taiwan, then destroyed, then reintroduced specifically from Japan. That kind of pattern would be appropriate.

So, potentially along that river, shore + village + two = key? I doubt I can be much help with this part, since I don't know dick about this region and don't speak Chinese or Japanese.

I'm excited about this but I feel like one of those witches is going to drop in and poo poo all over our theories soon. Oh well, Gunnerkrigg high five!

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

So at this point, I'm just staring at this map of Taipei looking for the Chinese characters mentioned in the epitaph conversation. Maybe the "two" has something to do with the Lover's Bridge? Anyway, what happened to my life? If someone knows how to make this easier... let me know soon.

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Dec 21, 2016

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

So this room sounds like his combo mistress den and nursery, maybe.

:barf: I really hope that's not true.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

ProfessorProf posted:

"...I worried too much about the sweetfish river. The sweetfish part didn't really matter that much at all, did it?"
"That isn't true. It was an excellent hint, wasn't it? Well, of course, maybe there was no need for it to be sweetfish. But when I heard that sweetfish are fish that go out into the sea, I was able to figure it out."

Yesterday I managed to follow the literal "river" as far as I could in one direction, but now I don't know if that's the right way to think at all. Maybe it is a road, like you're all saying. But what does "quadrillion" tell us, and is there any way to relate that to the "key," which may be in Chinese? Is that a red herring, too?

So, "the concept of a river that meets an ocean"/road that meets the ocean (??) + village 里 + shore 岸 + quadrillion + Taiwan (??) = key? In what universe does that even begin to make sense?

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Dec 21, 2016

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

CottonWolf posted:

That's a good idea. Though if Virgilus, Kumasawa and oldBeatrice are the same person, it opens up more questions than answers. If Kumasawa know's this place exists, why didn't she tell anyone? What's the benefit to her?

It could be that she was getting paid to keep quiet. What's one bar of gold when you have 10 tons' worth of them? I hate to think that a nice lady like her would be an accomplice to incest/rape/false imprisonment, though.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

So I Googled "里 岸" (village, shore) and found something to pull me out of the epitaph's quagmire, though I'm mistrustful of how simply I came across it. I wonder how this story would have gone if they were in 2006 and not 1986. Within the first two results, I found 唭哩岸站, or Taipei's Qilian subway station, which fits several of the epitaph's specifications for the key! I think I can understand Eva's excitement a little bit more now.

So, this is the breakdown of my theory. What do you all think?

1) "beloved hometown": We established earlier that Kinzo's hometown is probably in Taiwan, given the clues in this episode.
2) "sweetfish river": Qilian station is serviced by the Tamsui (Freshwater) subway line, which shares its name with the nearby river that flows into the sea. Sweetfish travel between saltwater and freshwater. We also speculated that the epitaph's "river" could be a road alluding to water rather than a literal body of water.
3) "follow its path downstream": This implies landmarks along a specific route. In this case, a station.
4) "you will see a village"; "look for the shore": In Chinese, Qilian Station is 唭哩岸站, and the name contains 里 and 岸, the characters for "village" and "shore," respectively.
5) "the two": The Tansui Line is also designated as the 2 Line, according to the Wikipedia page.
6) "the six": Q I L I A N

:aaa: :aaa: :aaa:

edit: A major, MAJOR flaw of this is that apparently the Tamsui Line was constructed in 1988, which is after the events of the story. So how would anyone know about it in 1986? gently caress. Back to the drawing board, I guess? This feels so close!! Augh! Now I feel less like Eva and more like Kinzo. Beatorichiiiiiiii!

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Dec 22, 2016

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

This is an A+ update for BeatoxBato :kimchi:

Deveritas posted:

It looks like the Tamsui Line replaced another line with the same name, constructed in 1901

edit: I'm not seeing anything about the old line being #2, though.

That's good to know, phew. My theory can live another day! So maybe "the two" could just be a clue regarding using the kanji for "shore" and "village" as guideposts. I'm not sure on that, but I'm stumped otherwise.

I'm pretty attached to "Qilian" being the key, now that I've slept on the idea. (Maybe because I'm Chinese and just want to show of my mad skillz/AzN pRyDe!) Some of my rationale might not have the most solid of foundations, but since the train line has existed since 1901, it's reasonable to assume that Eva would have been able to read about it in a book. I don't know what she did after she figured that part out, though.

quote:

He who lays hands upon the key shall travel under the rules below.
On the first twilight, you shall lift up as sacrifice the six chosen by the key.
On the second twilight, those who remain shall tear apart the two who are close.
On the third twilight, those who remain shall praise my honorable name on high.
On the fourth twilight, gouge the head and kill.
On the fifth twilight, gouge the chest and kill.
On the sixth twilight, gouge the stomach and kill.
On the seventh twilight, gouge the knee and kill.
On the eighth twilight, gouge the leg and kill.
On the ninth twilight, the witch shall revive, and none shall be left alive.
On the tenth twilight, the journey shall end, and you shall reach the village of gold.

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 22, 2016

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

oath2order posted:

For the record, this was the update we were talking about putting on Christmas. A nice family celebration, with presents besides.

The birth of a new god? Lines up.

Just make sure Prof schedules a fifth twilight update for Good Friday. :devil:

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

CottonWolf posted:

I buy this. Seems to hit all of the points. If QILIAN is the key, where does that leave us?

QILIAN has to somehow choose 6 things. There are 4 different letters. Cardinal directions in some other language? However it works, if that's right, presumably we're choosing 2 things twice.

Someone pointed out the Kuwadorian/quadrillion connection before, but check this out:

qilian, kuwadorian, quadrillion

The progression adds more syllables and letters as it goes. (If you read with a Japanese notion of syllables, quadrillion is "ku-wa-do-ri-ri-o-n.") As you go, you add more, but... this puzzle is about subtracting, as per "sucker merry barrellers" :hehe: So let's go backwards:

quadrillion, kuwadorian, qilian

If "qilian" is the key and if "the six" refers to six Roman letters, you can take those letters out of "quadrillion" to make, uh, "udro"? I guess we can proceed to the gouging and stuff from there, but I don't really know what that does for us.

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Dec 22, 2016

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Deveritas posted:

The epitaph says "sacrifice the six chosen by the key," not "sacrifice the ones chosen by the six keys," so I'd go with "udrlo", instead. ("Quilian" has two "I"s but only one "L".)

That even gives us a letter for each "On the Xth twilight, gouge the Y and kill". Now, if we could only figure out what that means...

OK, but didn't the examples provided—the tanuki "ta" game and "sucker merry barrellers"—show that the key syllables/letters had to be taken out repeatedly? Your method gives us more to work with, though.

If you rearrange the letters, you can get "rudol"(f)?? Haha!

Mister Olympus posted:

up, down, right, left... over? A set of directions, or combination to some sort of lock?

I like that! We probably haven't gotten to see the lock or door yet, so this might make sense later. The door is probably hidden somewhere near the chapel, if quadrillion is indeed the keyword, and the lock is probably some kind of 3-D puzzle. We don't have any proof that quadrillion is the keyword, but the rhyming scheme makes me think so.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

So if Rudolf is the real witch all along... that explains why the Seven Sisters of Purgatory are such cheesecake characters. That dirty old man!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Mom! Of! The! Year! Excited to see a repeat of Action Hero Rosa this episode. Have a nice holiday, Prof!

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

Wow, poor Rosa. But like resurgam40, I feel way worse for Maria. I can write off the wacky, "pop" deaths as some delusion, but Maria's feeling of betrayal rings true to me. Beato was probably the only person she could count on.

ProfessorProf posted:

"Amusing, amusing, how truly amusing! You feel like laughing too, right, Battleeeeeeer?!"

This must be Beato's lame attempt to be the warm, persuasive "sun" that Virgilia was trying to tell her about. Which makes the former seem even more unhinged, like she can't see or understand anything outside of sadistic violence. I feel bad for her. :(

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Dec 25, 2016

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

OK, just caught up. drat, and I thought Kyrie was the most well-adjusted out of the group! I'm kind of thrown by the simultaneity of her and Asumu's births. It seems like the most fantastical element of this storyline, or else Rudolf was performing a way grodier version of that "two dates at once" scenario. I don't want to think about it that much.

Bunnygirls further confirm my Beato = (R U D O L)f theory. Nyehehe!

But seriously, what are they supposed to be? If they're supposed to be a souped-up explanation for gun wounds, why are they represented as bunnygirls with giant robot UIs in particular? Why's there so much anime in my anime? This seriously feels like AxeCop; if they're Beato's "pieces" on this chess board, maybe she just has the mind of a child after all.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

KataraniSword posted:

Not everyone comes to term at the exact same pace; all it means is that Rudolf was totally with both of them in the same frame of time, there wasn't any "she was the first woman in his life" here. It's coincidental and more than a little convenient, but not unheard of.

Yeah, I could believe that. It's also sad but unfortunately realistic that Kyrie would blame Asumu for her problems and not Rudolf. Judging from Battler's behavior following his dad's second marriage, it doesn't seem like Asumu was a totally bad person, either. I really want to know what Meta-Battler thinks of the scenes that just played out, and how he's interpreting Kyrie's take on his parents' relationship.

Eva and Hideyoshi's relationship seems a lot healthier in comparison... which is not something I thought I'd ever say, considering Eva. Whether or not she killed Hideyoshi in this latest update depends on the truthfulness of her scene in the guest bedroom. She's either there or in the mansion, and it doesn't seem like anyone can provide her with an alibi. Or maybe she and Hideyoshi were supposed to corroborate each other's innocence, but the latter freaked out and got himself killed. We've just got to bide our time until we get some red truths up in this bitch, I guess.

edit: Hey Prof, would you mind putting a link to the Letter from Bernkastel in the OP? I wanted to be able to reference that again.

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Dec 30, 2016

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

ProfessorProf posted:

Added to the second post.

Thanks!

OK, so the updated profiles (Kyrie's and Hideyoshi's) seem to make the order of operations in this latest incident clear. It totally goes against my impression of Hideyoshi's character, but Battler did hint toward his casual Kansai affectation as just that—an affect.

But more significantly, Rudolf's profile seems to answer a lingering question from earlier episodes: how were people killed during the 2nd-8th twilights? Unlike the Golden Bunny Snake, we know that the stakes do have some physical reality to them. However, as noted earlier, the shapes of those stakes aren't really great for stabbing, and a person wouldn't be able to use them with much efficiency without the aid of some kind of powerful sling.

We now know there are a lot of guns on the premises, so covering up the banality of shooting deaths with occultish stakes is a great way to buy a human culprit time while also stoking the flames of the witch legend. I wonder if there's been a clue in Kinzo's study or something that hints to some kind of case or luggage that might contain the stakes. It would be really easy to cart them around the murder scenes that way.

bman in 2288 posted:

... Wait. Did Battler just say they he's going to wait until his opponent is a real witch? So that he can deny they are a witch? I'm getting confused here. Battler, stop being incompetent.

Yeah, this is getting really convoluted, but I think mainly because Battler is gaining respect for Beatrice as an opponent/person this episode. He's been actively trying to get her to understand him, which is something you do with a person, rather than some abstract entity. Though I'm not really sure if that's even possible with her, since her response to "Be less lovely" still results in people dying horribly??

edit: ehh, my "stakes in Kinzo's study" theory is a bust. The only description of the study so far (Episode 1) doesn't mention anything like that.

quote:

There were many mysterious objects, like a candle suspiciously melted and molded into a strange shape, which probably had something to do with black magic. The constellations drawn on a certain celestial globe contained quite a few dots that a person who knows the night sky well would tilt their head at. The illustrations inscribed in old, casually opened books were all full of religious, or possibly demonic, grotesque arcana, as well as the weird shapes of various magical circles.

witchcore ricepunk fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Dec 30, 2016

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

MonsterEnvy posted:

And I just learned that it appears that 7th Expansion is going to start work on a new When they Cry game in 2017.

Whaaaaat?! This is my first time experiencing a 7th Expansion VN, but I am really excited for more! Kind of scared of Googling it, though—is there a good, Umineko spoiler-free article about this somewhere?

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

It's gotta be doves. Ryukishi07's going to give us the Prince tribute we've all been waiting for.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

CottonWolf posted:

I just google imaged searched Higurashi Kira. I wish I could rewind time about a minute and correct that mistake.

AUUGH WHY DID I LOOK :psypop:

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

If it's possible to safely exit the guesthouse through the second floor window, then Nanjo, Eva, and Hideyoshi are definitely at the top of the potential culprit list. (That, or all the kids are covering up for each other.) If more than one person is involved, the killer could leave through the window and their accomplice could lock it behind them/open it for them, allowing for a "closed room" situation. However, this latest update kind of screws with that theory, in that no one has appeared wet so far. If there's heavy wind and rain from the typhoon, the culprit would have to cover up their damp clothes. It's not like anyone has changed outfits or anything like that. And would it really be possible to hold an umbrella and a gun while climbing down the side of a building?

Also, this Beato seems really different from the one who flipped out at Shannon about love and lust in the last episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

SardonicTyrant posted:

What about a Carnival Phantasm-esque parody of Umineko? I would watch the poo poo out of that.

Like, what if Kyrie was the one playing meta-world games with Beato?

Just a loop of a chessboard spinning, spinning, spinning, until it floats off into outer space.

Nice new av, little_firebird!

• Locked thread