Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Covok posted:

Destroy the Force = Ending all life in the universe

I don't think it is. That's why she's in conflict with Nihilus. She wants to do to all force users what happened to the exile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I don't think it is. That's why she's in conflict with Nihilus. She wants to do to all force users what happened to the exile.

Last I checked, everything alive is part of the Living Force in Star Wars. So, if all living creatures are a part of, destroying it would require killing them, no? Also, while it did come out later, I think I remember the Clone Wars TV series saying that the Cosmic Force and Living Force are in a cycle of exchange and, without it, life can't be created, but it's been a while since I've seen those episode.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if this has to do with different interpretations on how the Force works. IIRC, the nature of the force and how it manifests would often get wonky from writer to writer. The only consistent think being elements introduced in the actual films, for obvious reasons. Hell, remember the Yuuzhan Vong being absent from the force? I'm still not sure how that was justified.

Also, going back to grey jedi for a second, had a shower thought that the Imperial Knights from Legacy are the polar opposite of the Je'daii and the Bendu. The former literally tries to avoid using any side of the force too greatly but favors the light a tad and the later tries to use the entire force but in balance with both sides.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

The Force works the way you want it to work.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

The Force works the way you want it to work.

Not according to Han Solo it doesn't

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Covok posted:

Last I checked, everything alive is part of the Living Force in Star Wars. So, if all living creatures are a part of, destroying it would require killing them, no? Also, while it did come out later, I think I remember the Clone Wars TV series saying that the Cosmic Force and Living Force are in a cycle of exchange and, without it, life can't be created, but it's been a while since I've seen those episode.

Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if this has to do with different interpretations on how the Force works. IIRC, the nature of the force and how it manifests would often get wonky from writer to writer. The only consistent think being elements introduced in the actual films, for obvious reasons. Hell, remember the Yuuzhan Vong being absent from the force? I'm still not sure how that was justified.

The exile wasn't a part of the force and they survived. :shrug:

iirc the plan was to create a huge amount of devastation and cause force echoes that would either kill those who were entirely dependent on the force and couldn't/wouldn't turn away from it, or blind people to the force.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Sep 18, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

The exile wasn't a part of the force and they survived. :shrug:

iirc the plan was to create a huge amount of devastation and cause force echoes that would either kill those who were entirely dependent on the force and couldn't/wouldn't turn away from it, or blind people to the force.

How were they not part of the force? Don't you play a Jedi in that game? Also, I guess any explanation is equally valid on how to remove the force from the universe since, you know, fictional universe, but I do wonder what Keria thought she'd get from it.

I guess it has to do with EU logic vs Cannon logic, though. Or Old EU, I should say. Like, recently, I've been re-reading Star Wars: Legacy and, holy poo poo, did I forgot how over the top the comics made the Force at times: immortal sith mage surviving in an amulet and able to make zombies with magic, for example. Like, if that is what the Force does, then, yeah, getting rid of it can seem necessary for sure.

Edit: By the way, since I brought them up, we kind of dodged the bullet with the Yuuzhan Vong in Clone Wars, I found out yesterday. They were going to show up in that show, but the episode never materialized. If it did, they would have been locked in as canon and, well, yeah...

Covok fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Sep 18, 2016

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Covok posted:

How were they not part of the force? Don't you play a Jedi in that game? Also, I guess any explanation is equally valid on how to remove the force from the universe since, you know, fictional universe, but I do wonder what Keria thought she'd get from it.

I guess it has to do with EU logic vs Cannon logic, though. Or Old EU, I should say. Like, recently, I've been re-reading Star Wars: Legacy and, holy poo poo, did I forgot how over the top the comics made the Force at times: immortal sith mage surviving in an amulet and able to make zombies with magic, for example. Like, if that is what the Force does, then, yeah, getting rid of it can seem necessary for sure.

Edit: By the way, since I brought them up, we kind of dodged the bullet with the Yuuzhan Vong in Clone Wars, I found out yesterday. They were going to show up in that show, but the episode never materialized. If it did, they would have been locked in as canon and, well, yeah...

They were a wound that was only able to use the force through stealing it from other force sensitives, and I think specifically because of the bond with Kreia.

And Kreia wanted an end to the galactic wars that rose up every couple of decades because some jedi fell to the dark side.

Covok
May 27, 2013

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

They were a wound that was only able to use the force through stealing it from other force sensitives, and I think specifically because of the bond with Kreia.

And Kreia wanted an end to the galactic wars that rose up every couple of decades because some jedi fell to the dark side.

Huh, that's an interesting plot point. And, yeah, I can see that since that was a really common plot point in the EU. Less an exception and more than rule in the EU that some Jedi turning Sith would disrupt the entire galaxy.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Rewatching season 2 to get myself properly amped up for Saturday. Goddamn, Siege of Lothal is great.

This is also just one of the best fuckin' shots in recent Star Wars fiction, hope something this season can match it.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Kreia was sick and tired of the "Sith keep turning into cackling cartoon villains" thing so wanted to SHUT. DOWN. EVERYTHING.

Maul is kinda in the same place at this point, but has decided on a slightly less nihilistic path.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

TheCenturion posted:

Kreia was sick and tired of the "Sith keep turning into cackling cartoon villains" thing so wanted to SHUT. DOWN. EVERYTHING.

Maul is kinda in the same place at this point, but has decided on a slightly less nihilistic path.

??? Maul specifically wants to murder the top dogs and get revenge so he can be the top dog. They're not even close?

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

kingcom posted:

??? Maul specifically wants to murder the top dogs and get revenge so he can be the top dog. They're not even close?

Kreia wants to raze it all the the ground. Maul wants to prove to his abusive father figure Palplatine that he isn't a failure, and finally get that pat on the head he's wanted since he was a starving child that Palp took in after he killed another street kid for a scrap of food or something.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

drunkill posted:

Well there is a new trilogy of Thrawn books that Zahn is currently writing, so no doubt they sat down and talked about everything in great detail before he was added to Rebels.
http://www.starwars.com/news/qa-with-timothy-zahn
There was a video at the Celebration reveal too, talking about Zahn and Rebels and Filoni but I'm on mobile and can't find it right now.

Pretty sure it's just one book, not a new trilogy. The link you posted backs that up, it only talks about the one book, Thrawn, and how it will span several years, from his first encounter with the Empire to the events of Rebels.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013

thrawn527 posted:

Pretty sure it's just one book, not a new trilogy. The link you posted backs that up, it only talks about the one book, Thrawn, and how it will span several years, from his first encounter with the Empire to the events of Rebels.

I hope it's artfully done.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

TheCenturion posted:

Kreia wants to raze it all the the ground. Maul wants to prove to his abusive father figure Palplatine that he isn't a failure, and finally get that pat on the head he's wanted since he was a starving child that Palp took in after he killed another street kid for a scrap of food or something.

At this point I don't think he wants the old man's approval. Sheev has taken away everything Maul has ever had including

His life before Maul, whatever that was
His apprenticeship and the secrets of the Sith.
Destroyed his criminal empire.
Killed his brother.
Killed his mother
Hunted him for the last 15+ years.

All he wants is survival, power, and revenge.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

At this point I don't think he wants the old man's approval. Sheev has taken away everything Maul has ever had including

His life before Maul, whatever that was
His apprenticeship and the secrets of the Sith.
Destroyed his criminal empire.
Killed his brother.
Killed his mother
Hunted him for the last 15+ years.

All he wants is survival, power, and revenge.

Don't forget giving him a giant robo-worm spider body thing. Or was that someone else?

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
He did that himself

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

And sure Obi-wan cut him in half, but he already got that particular revenge.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

I hope we see his severed bottom half show up as a sith lord this season.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

kingcom posted:

I hope we see his severed bottom half show up as a sith lord this season.

Well it is chock-full of midichlorians

FetusSlapper
Jan 6, 2005

by exmarx

thrawn527 posted:

Same with Bendu. In the original script, Jedi were called the Jedi Bendu.

Is Lucas sill in denial about how much he ripped off Dune?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Was he ever? He's been very open about the genesis of A New Hope, and how much it takes from Flash Gordon and The Hidden Fortress at the very least, so I can't imagine he was being particularly evasive about other sources.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

New clip & article with Thrawn being Thrawn-y.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Iirc dune was mentioned in the making of doc for the ot as inspiration and that came out like ten years ago

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Man. More French/Ryloth accent Hera. :allears:

[edit] Also, if Luke was a little short for a Stormtrooper, what does that make Ezra?

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 21, 2016

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Man. More French/Ryloth accent Hera. :allears:

[edit] Also, if Luke was a little short for a Stormtrooper, what does that make Ezra?

A teen who had one hell of a growth spurt

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

quote:

“He must have had a story pre-Jedi because he had risen to Grand Admiral, and I’ve kind of told myself, ‘Well, I’m not changing much of what Tim did, I’m just putting him in this time period, which wasn’t really explored to my knowledge,” Filoni says.

Play TIE Fighter you hack! :argh:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

bunnyofdoom posted:

A teen who had one hell of a growth spurt

He's still pretty short looking compared to the stormtroopers. :v:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

That was actually post-ESB so he is correct.

(Like the first mission of Tie fighter is hunting down rebels fleeing Hoth)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

And pre-Jedi. And before he was a Grand Admiral. And I just want the cool ships from Tie Fighter to show up. :colbert:

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

This and the TIE uglies that were mixed with X-Wings are some of the worst parts of the EU. Really I think the only old EU I really liked was the Dark Horse stuff. The books were all awful.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

I love Thrawn's voice.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Thrawn is promoted to Grand Admiral, as seen here and it is still before the Prelude to Endor missions

So it is pre-Jedi but that's cutting it reeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaally close and probably isn't what they were thinking of when they decided to make him a Grand Admiral for the show. I'm in agreement, it spoils a bit of fun that he's a Grand Admiral already because if he had just started as a Vice Admiral then he is an unknown in the universe and people in the Empire just know him for getting results and having this obsession with art and studying it. I guess we'll have to wait and see what his intro is like but if he's a Grand Admiral already then I like to believe that SOMEONE in the Rebellion hierarchy will know who he is since there aren't a lot of Grand Admirals, just like there aren't a lot of Moffs

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Chickenwalker posted:

This and the TIE uglies that were mixed with X-Wings are some of the worst parts of the EU. Really I think the only old EU I really liked was the Dark Horse stuff. The books were all awful.

The uglies were the worst idea in the entire EU. Make the setting seem small and also that's not how complex machinery works dammit.

It's stupid thematically too. You know what fighters criminals should be using? TIE fighters. There are a lot of TIE fighters out there, because the Empire was Bad.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Bundle o' clips:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGqNqseSg4w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUdV-UvSKHk

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Vitamin P posted:

The uglies were the worst idea in the entire EU. Make the setting seem small and also that's not how complex machinery works dammit.

It's stupid thematically too. You know what fighters criminals should be using? TIE fighters. There are a lot of TIE fighters out there, because the Empire was Bad.

Plus they're cheap and easy to maintain, plus they've been in the hands of corrupt officials since forever... "Whoops, another squadron of TIEs got 'lost' or 'stolen by pirates' or on one notable occasion 'lost in a swamp'..."

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011
Anyone else get the feeling that Ezra = Snoke?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covok
May 27, 2013

Nah, he hates the Empire. If he goes sith, it'd be more anarchistic than authortiarian.

• Locked thread