Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Since when did Thrawn care about civilians? IIRC if it gets results, its done. He isn't a needless butcher, but what of a few lives as collateral if it ends a threat that could cost far more.

The only reason I could see him caring is worry it'll drive people to the rebellion. Like Kallus. Thrawn isn't perfect or he wouldn't have been so artistically murdered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Thrawn is ruthless but he was never presented as a butcher. What would he gain by killing civilians? Kallus's suspicion at his promotion for such an act makes Thrawn's rise appear questionable. It's a minor nitpick, but a massacre is more in line with Tarkin's terror tactics. Thrawn has always ruled through manipulation and encouragement than fear.

I'm reminded of pong krell being considered an effective general despite his terribly planned assaults intentionally getting clones killed

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 26, 2016

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

This is not the exact same Thrawn from the old EU and the sooner you make peace with that the better off you'll be.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

It'll probably be covered In more detail in the Thrawn book or future episodes.

As for Krell he probably was an effective (if harsh/uncaring) General before he snapped, decided to go darkside and deliberately sabotaged the Umbrara campaign as an offering to Dooku to gain his favor/apprenticeship.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Loved the first episode back. Thrawn was Thrawn-ing it up, not taking the bait but instead focusing on the bigger game. But I will say, for a Star Wars kids show, I was not expecting the main character to mind control someone into suicide. That was...dark.

tin can made man
Apr 13, 2005

why don't you ask him
about his penis

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It'll probably be covered In more detail in the Thrawn book or future episodes.

As for Krell he probably was an effective (if harsh/uncaring) General before he snapped, decided to go darkside and deliberately sabotaged the Umbrara campaign as an offering to Dooku to gain his favor/apprenticeship.

Krell was intentionally scuttling the Republic front on Umbara, but it's notable that his suicide tactics were raising ire among the troops, not suspicion. It's likely that Krell's earnest tactical style favored overwhelming 'shock and awe' displays of force. Umbara has an entrenched resistance and a supernaturally-hostile environment, so the huge amount of casualties doesn't do much beyond raise an eyebrow if someone's already familiar with Krell's favored tactics. The "civilian casualties" line does seem to go against our preconceptions of Thrawn, not to mention that the antagonist-side of Rebels is already rife with Heavies, but it could just be that Thrawn is ruthless and meticulous. More of a Trench character than a Grievous/Krell one, if we're drawing TCW-Rebels parallels.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

thrawn527 posted:

Loved the first episode back. Thrawn was Thrawn-ing it up, not taking the bait but instead focusing on the bigger game. But I will say, for a Star Wars kids show, I was not expecting the main character to mind control someone into suicide. That was...dark.

I was taken aback, yet pleased, because it makes it pretty clear that Ezra is doing something really hosed up without even needing any of the other characters to moralize at him about it.

Kids shows overall are darker than they used to be, I think. (I don't entirely think this is a bad thing. Reality is a tough neighborhood.)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Kesper North posted:

I was taken aback, yet pleased, because it makes it pretty clear that Ezra is doing something really hosed up without even needing any of the other characters to moralize at him about it.

Kids shows overall are darker than they used to be, I think. (I don't entirely think this is a bad thing. Reality is a tough neighborhood.)

Oh I'm a fan of them doing it. Actual stakes. No, "Ezra, you're approaching a dark line!" He's crossed that line already. Now what happens next?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

thrawn527 posted:

Thrawn was Thrawn-ing it up, not taking the bait but instead focusing on the bigger game.

Phoenix Group's force wasn't bait, but Thrawn letting them go was definitely him focusing on bigger game. He knows (or at least should based on previous engagements the Empire has had with them) that they have a few Alderannean Cruisers and some more corvettes that weren't present to cover the theft. And the only reason they'd steal old bombers is ambition to strike at larger and more important targets. Crushing part of Phoenix Group now would just make the rest more cautious. He probably wants them to get more cocky and willing to make more brazen attacks so they expose themselves further.

Also, it wouldn't be too much of an rear end pull if those Y-wings had trackers hidden in them. Since he suspected the theft ahead of time.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Sep 26, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

thrawn527 posted:

Oh I'm a fan of them doing it. Actual stakes. No, "Ezra, you're approaching a dark line!" He's crossed that line already. Now what happens next?

Kanan transcending knighthood into becoming a true master of the force and saving Ezra from going down a path of self-destruction. Will he succeed? Don't know. But he's definitely got the beard of a would-be Jedi Master now.

[edit] As far as dark imagery goes, The Clone Wars presented some pretty violent/brutal moments too, e.g., clonetroopers setting Geonosians on fire, and Ahsoka decapitating multiple Mandalorians in a single strike.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Also, it wouldn't be too much of an rear end pull if those Y-wings had trackers hidden in them. Since he suspected the theft ahead of time.

It would be elegant, really. He presented them not only with something they desperately needed, but put a ticking clock on it before all the ships were destroyed, so they wouldn't have time to look the gift horse in the mouth.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I don't think Kanan is near master material yet, but I do really like his new regulation Jedi beard, yeah. I hope he ditches that mask in a decent amount of time. I think he looks fine without it:

Honestly, I was expecting the damage to be far worse. I'm fine with "Milky Blind eyes" (notice the Bendu has similar eyes, and might be blind itself) and a dark mark over his face. I guess this:

Was just overemphasized so you had a chance of catching it during that split second before he clamps his hands over his face.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Phoenix Group's force wasn't bait, but Thrawn letting them go was definitely him focusing on bigger game. He knows (or at least should based on previous engagements the Empire has had with them) that they have a few Alderannean Cruisers and some more corvettes that weren't present to cover the theft. And the only reason they'd steal old bombers is ambition to strike at larger and more important targets. Crushing part of Phoenix Group now would just make the rest more cautious. He probably wants them to get more cocky and willing to make more brazen attacks so they expose themselves further.

Oh sure, I guess I didn't mean literal bait. I just meant the smaller prey that the Imperials would have normally just gone after. He's playing a game, and this trap didn't spring a large enough target.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Was just overemphasized so you had a chance of catching it during that split second before he clamps his hands over his face.

And he's had six months to heal with the help of space medicine that makes scar tissue less visible

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Yeah, I just figured the answer to complaints I've seen elsewhere that he's going Space Wizard Zatoichi instead of cybereyes was because his eyesockets and nose bridge were hunk of scarred flesh tissue.

Of course, the real answer is Space Wizard Zatoichi is loving cool.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Of course, the real answer is Space Wizard Zatoichi is loving cool.

I hadn't even thought of that, that's awesome. It also reminds me of General Kota from The Force Unleashed.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

General Kota is based on Zatoichi too. Freddie Prinz Jr. actually addresses this in a pretty cool way in a Q&A session, let me see if I can dig it up.

[edit] Can't seem to find it, its a group thing, Sam Witwer was there too. Basically IIRC FPJr says Kanan is basically drawing little to no inspiration from Kota, that they're both instead drawing from Zatoichi, but can see how young star wars fans who grew up and had Kota as their first introduction to the "blind swordsman" concept think Kanan is emulating Kota.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Sep 26, 2016

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Kreia best blind force user. Hammiest blind jedi is Jerec, and I just realized how awesome it would be if Jerec would appear on the show during his inquisitor days.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Galaga Galaxian posted:

General Kota is based on Zatoichi too. Freddie Prinz Jr. actually addresses this in a pretty cool way in a Q&A session, let me see if I can dig it up.
Is it that thing :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzX5DMgA48Y

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

Though I agree it was clearly done just to show Ezra tapping into the Dark Side his mind-trick wasn't that dark. One stormtrooper even took the plunge willingly rather than do something sane like try to duck and weave out of the way. Even the way that Ugnaught died from the AT-DP was comical. This show offs nameless trooper mooks left and right in nutty ways all the time and rarely does it sit back to contemplate how they did it.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I wonder if they might meet any Miraluka

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

AndyElusive posted:

Even the way that Ugnaught died from the AT-DP was comical.

I honestly thought that was one of the darkest part of the episodes. It was black humor, of course, but seeing the guy run towards freedom just to be blasted was a shock. And then Ezra just gives a flippant "sorry that he died" comment later.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

[edit] Can't seem to find it, its a group thing, Sam Witwer was there too. Basically IIRC FPJr says Kanan is basically drawing little to no inspiration from Kota, that they're both instead drawing from Zatoichi, but can see how young star wars fans who grew up and had Kota as their first introduction to the "blind swordsman" concept think Kanan is emulating Kota.

I'm aware of Zatoichi and how he was the inspiration for Kota, I was just noting the similarity between Kota and Kanan.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I figured, it just made me think of that group interview and I thought I'd share. Except then I couldn't find it again! Luckily...

X Toad did! Thanks :tipshat: The question about Kota is at 1:30:45-ish. Also, Freddie and Sam are the best. :allears:

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Sep 27, 2016

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was by far one of the best, if not the best episode, of Collider Jedi Council too. They need to make the Force bros regulars.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Arcsquad12 posted:

Kallus's suspicion at his promotion for such an act makes Thrawn's rise appear questionable.

I don't think that look is Kallus being suspicious that Thrawn didn't really do what he said to get his promotion. I think that look is one of distaste, as Kallus has been reexamining what he was ordered to do by Vader on Lothal, and his part in the Lasat genocide, through the lens of what he discovered on Geonosis, and his time with Zeb - an entire world, which was a major Imperial ally, and had no rebellion of any kind, exterminated as a security measure, and nobody cared.

I think that look was this season's step 1 on Kallus' path to becoming the new Fulcrum.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm totally down with Kallus defecting. Besides expecting it, it's always interesting to see someone struggling between their duty and their morality. There is a reason it shows up in so many stories as it is such a base, human story of internal and external conflict. It'd actually be pretty interesting for their to be an Empire only episode from Kallus' perspective where he finally makes up his mind on defecting after having to do some nasty poo poo.

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Every interview I've seen of Freddie Prinz Jr. for this proves that he is a huge nerd for Star Wars. And I think Witwer is too, and its great. More so Freddie, since I vaguely remember him being a teen heartthrob in the 90s.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Heck, Rebels already showed us the Mining Guild using TIE fighters.

I like how they removed the front segment of the panels in an attempt to improve visibility (Good!) but this apparently made the fighter unstable and harder to fly (bad).

Heh, idiots putting mining lasers into the high slots.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Coffeehitler posted:

Every interview I've seen of Freddie Prinz Jr. for this proves that he is a huge nerd for Star Wars. And I think Witwer is too, and its great. More so Freddie, since I vaguely remember him being a teen heartthrob in the 90s.

Witwer has pretty much made a guest appearance on almost every Star Wars podcast. An exaggeration, of course, but the guy loves Star Wars and jumps at any chance to talk about it and its related media, like roleplaying games.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

Coffeehitler posted:

I think Witwer is an even bigger Star Wars nerd. Filoni, while talking about their recording sessions with Gray, said that Freddie knows a lot about Star Wars, and that Sam knows everything about Star Wars.

TheBigBad
Feb 28, 2004

Madness is rare in individuals, but in groups, parties, nations and ages it is the rule.

drunkill posted:

Neat promo poster. Thrawn gets his own custom Star Destroyer/paint job too.

Looks kinda like this-

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Interdictor-class_Star_Destroyer

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Which would make sense, because they were just brought up again last episode with the captain of the prototype being demoted.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 27, 2016

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Doesn't have the balls sticking out the bottom, plus we've already seen the Empire's very first Interdictor prototype, so new that Phoenix didn't believe such a thing could exist, and it's a different shape again

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Covok posted:

Witwer has pretty much made a guest appearance on almost every Star Wars podcast. An exaggeration, of course, but the guy loves Star Wars and jumps at any chance to talk about it and its related media, like roleplaying games.

Supposedly one of the first things he did when he first showed up to work on The Clone Wars was dump a boxfull of the old West End Games d6 Star Wars RPG books on Filoni's lap as a gift.

I wouldn't be surprised if he offered to run a game for various cast and crew either. :v:

Covok
May 27, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Supposedly one of the first things he did when he first showed up to work on The Clone Wars was dump a boxfull of the old West End Games d6 Star Wars RPG books on Filoni's lap as a gift.

I wouldn't be surprised if he offered to run a game for various cast and crew either. :v:

You know, I've played SAGAs, I've read the only d20 stuff, and I adore the Fantasy Flight ones, but I've never played or really read the d6 stuff. I head it's a good system, but is most noteworthy for being the backbone of the EU. No really. Because they were allowed to make setting books, they got to define a lot of the world of Star Wars, from what I heard.

I would love, btw, if he actually did run a game for them or still is. Do you think Kanan or Erza is Filoni's PC in that game? I know he'd be a Jedi, that's for sure, but padawan or knight?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Covok posted:

You know, I've played SAGAs, I've read the only d20 stuff, and I adore the Fantasy Flight ones, but I've never played or really read the d6 stuff. I head it's a good system, but is most noteworthy for being the backbone of the EU. No really. Because they were allowed to make setting books, they got to define a lot of the world of Star Wars, from what I heard.

I would love, btw, if he actually did run a game for them or still is. Do you think Kanan or Erza is Filoni's PC in that game? I know he'd be a Jedi, that's for sure, but padawan or knight?

Kanan. Cowboy Jedi seems exactly the type of character he'd play.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
If I was showrunning a Star Wars show, running a West End campaign with the cast playing their characters is the first thing I would do.

I think this maybe happened here.

R-Type posted:

Heh, idiots putting mining lasers into the high slots.

I got that reference!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Episode guide is up, by the way: http://www.starwars.com/tv-shows/star-wars-rebels/steps-into-shadow-episode-guide

'Thrawn's Arrival' cue is the background music.

"As part of Zeb's new season 3 character model, he has an illustration on his suit of the joopa (Big Bongo) that ate him in season 2."

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Covok posted:

Yeah he's a huge Star Wars nerd. He destroyed Freddie Prinze Jr. in Star Wars trivia on Movie Trivia Schmoedown recently haha. I timestamped the Star Wars-centric bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_m0_S1Z96c&t=958s

• Locked thread