Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
quake 3 cpma, which the op loving sucks balls at
:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Y-Hat posted:

gently caress you link's awakening was a masterpiece

my real answer is earthbound
if you don't prefer Mother 3, you have no soul

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

proof of concept posted:

quake 3 cpma, which the op loving sucks balls at
:synpa:

it is the year 2016 everyone is playing reflex now, bitch

SatansChoice
Sep 14, 2016

by Smythe

ROFLburger posted:

it is the year 2016 everyone is playing reflex now, bitch

HAIL SATAN

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

symbolic posted:

that's a drat fine game in its own right but it's not on the level of Earthbound. music isn't as good, enemies aren't as good, the game is much shorter, and i honestly prefer earthbound's lighthearted story to mother 3's constant emotional gut punches (although drat if that ending isn't cry-worthy)

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I'm happy you found a new game to suck balls at :allears:

SatansChoice
Sep 14, 2016

by Smythe
Real life actually is a video game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8eTFSJAIvg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uVcVSEa_Ooo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DR7HcqsBOdg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMchbXtxoO0

Principals Orifice
Aug 23, 2016

by Lowtax
it's super Mario Bros 3

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Best overall game in terms of how much fun I had for the longest stretch of time would be Smash Bros 4.

My favorite game of all time is probably Final Fantasy VI even though I didn't like any other game in the series.

In terms of there being absolutely no boring parts and I always want to replay, and it having the greatest ending in any video game ever I'd say Earthbound.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Y-Hat posted:

that's a drat fine game in its own right but it's not on the level of Earthbound. music isn't as good, enemies aren't as good, the game is much shorter, and i honestly prefer earthbound's lighthearted story to mother 3's constant emotional gut punches (although drat if that ending isn't cry-worthy)
i found Mother 3's music way better than Earthbound's, to be honest. also i prefer emotional gutpunches (see: my av).

SatansChoice
Sep 14, 2016

by Smythe
I wouldn't mind some holy wars type video game, is there such a thing? Is there a game solely centered around the Holy Wars? With scalping.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!
final fantasy tactics

SatansChoice
Sep 14, 2016

by Smythe

The Dregs posted:

final fantasy tactics

A must play for any real human bean. But more multiplayer i mean.

PantsandCola
Aug 17, 2013

you did good... you did good
half life mods

SatansChoice
Sep 14, 2016

by Smythe
Interesting.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

SatansChoice posted:

I wouldn't mind some holy wars type video game, is there such a thing? Is there a game solely centered around the Holy Wars? With scalping.

Crusader Kings II

DataRat
Dec 25, 2009
Baldur's Gate 2

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Banjo-Kazooie

ya huh!

Bitter fly
Sep 25, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

DataRat posted:

Baldur's Gate 2

The original, not the horrid abomination that Beamdog shat out with their inferior story and character writing

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Y-Hat posted:

Heck yeah!!!

symbolic posted:

I disagree but I appreciate where you're coming from

symbolic posted:

i found Mother 3's music way better than Earthbound's,

I disagree and you're an insane idiot

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Monkey Fracas posted:

New Vegas is the questionable king of Fallout games

Played the old ones recently. They are Ok I guess, New vegas is better written

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

The Real answer is Morrowind though

SatansChoice posted:

medieval II, and Attilla: Age of Charlemagne.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Y-Hat posted:

link's awakening is on the list of weird games where instead of the handheld games being watered down trash it's as good as it gets

also on that list: the two towers and return of the king games for gba are actually better on gba than on gamecube or any other console

witcher 3 obvious answer but i like driving this poo poo towards handhelds before they're forgotten, rip

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

If your answer is a Nintendo game then loving lol

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe

Man Whore posted:

<2 ;F

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XN3dEEdXoc

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
It's amazing to me that Link's Awakening is a Game Boy game. Super Mario Land looks like something you can play on a wristwatch from the 80s and Link's Awakening looks almost like an SNES game. And the music and sound effects are fantastic.

Anyway most Zelda games are poo poo but A Link to the Past, A Link Between Worlds, and Link's Awakening are loving incredible. The rest can be skipped.

Bob James
Nov 15, 2005

by Lowtax
Ultra Carp
Gay Ben's Ricochet

DataRat
Dec 25, 2009

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

It's amazing to me that Link's Awakening is a Game Boy game. Super Mario Land looks like something you can play on a wristwatch from the 80s and Link's Awakening looks almost like an SNES game. And the music and sound effects are fantastic.

Anyway most Zelda games are poo poo but A Link to the Past, A Link Between Worlds, and Link's Awakening are loving incredible. The rest can be skipped.

*shrieking*
OCARINA OF TIME

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

link's awakening made the most of being on the original game boy, it's a shame that it's overlooked

Man Whore posted:

"nintendo is for kids and their games are too easy" *ignores almost every AAA game that's come out in the past decade*

earthbound is cool regardless of who made it

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

ROFLburger posted:

it's the witcher 3

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

=3

Y-Hat posted:

"nintendo is for kids and their games are too easy" *ignores almost every AAA game that's come out in the past decade*
actually its because they just aren't that good if are born after 1993

LT56
Sep 9, 2016

by Smythe

Man Whore posted:

actually its because they just aren't that good if are born after 1993

Every second of precious time matters on this plane

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

Man Whore posted:

lol if it's not

:mario:

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

DataRat posted:

*shrieking*
OCARINA OF TIME

A link to the past. :colbert:

Evil Creature
Jul 25, 2007
Ultima VII The Black Gate (The Serpent Isle was good too but a bit less charming).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Y-Hat posted:

earthbound is cool regardless of who made it

While I think the Earthbound fan community is a bit obsessive, I totally get it. The game really is more or less perfect. I can't think of a single spot when I'm bored playing it. Even though FFVI is my favorite game, there's PLENTY of incredibly boring parts in the game.

I think the most amazing thing about Earthbound is the ending. I don't think I am spoiling anything here but it's the only game I can think of where when you beat the game, there's still stuff to do. It isn't "over". As a matter of fact, you can "play" the ending as long as you want. It's so, so loving cool and I have no idea why I've never really seen it in any other game. Compare that to something like Link to the Past and the only thing left to do once you beat it is just keep beating Ganon over and over again.

Mother 3 was good but it isn't even on the same planet as Earthbound. Honestly I didn't even know what the gently caress was going on in the last hour of Mother 3.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I've noticed the 3rd and 5th games in a series have a very high chance of being good.

Megaman 3
MGS3
MGSV
GTA3
GTA5
Witcher 3
TES3: Morrowind
TESV: Skyrim
Dragon Age 3
Mother 3
S.T.A.L.K.E.R CoP
Red Faction: Guerilla

a bone to pick fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 14, 2016

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Zzulu posted:

I don't know op, it depends on if you still count old games that dont really hold up these days

In which case the answer is Doom

The new Doom is also pretty good. I'm playing it right now and I just killed the Cyberdemon

Old Doom holds up pretty well if you run one of those high-res programs

The creator is apparently an rear end in a top hat but Brutal Doom owns face

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm glad i never got caught in with the earthbound obsessives online. but the good thing about starmen.net is that everdraed came from there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

I have ever played!

playing through this again atm. hot dayum it is super difficult, NES has some v challenging games

• Locked thread